Philly International - The Rare & The Good

Richard

Guest mel brat

Forgot to mention her excellent work with the great Norman Conners

"'Mother Of The Future"'

"'Valentine Love" and my personal favourite ''Dindi"'

Cheers Paul

PS Mel do you have the MFSB LP "'Mysteries Of The World"'? Written produced and arranged for the most part by our man Dexter Wansel...?

Yes Paul, remember that well, though I was drifting off the scene at that time. Just can't afford to buy everything I like, so "I've Got Some Catching Up To Do" of my own!

On focusing on the original Philly thread, I was forgetting her work with Norman Conners! (He can sure pick a great vocalist can't he? (Eleanore Mills, Phyllis Hyman, Michael Henderson...) Also, Jean Carn stuff with Earth, Wind & Fire in the early days - gets around our Jean doesn't she? biggrin.gif

Incidently, I was heavily engaged with the "Jazz/Funk" scene C.1977-81/2 (Ritz/Mecca alldayers, Chaplins, Rafters, Rum Runner, Cassenelli's etc.) I might post up some Jazz/Funk memorabilia soon, just for a change, if anyone's at all interested!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• Replies 445
  • Views 31.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Agreed Gray. I think it's a real grower, and written by The Fascinations too ! My copy is US but the label is a very pale green, almost silver. I have a UK Epic 45 too, but it's 'It's So Wonderful' which is the 'A' side of 'Love Don't Rub Off' with 'Put It in Motion' as the 'A' side which is more uptempo. wacko.gif:(

Any idea who Johnny Williams is?

My copy of this just arrived and it's different label design to yours Simon, was this how some of the 1st PIRs came out??

Doh just noticed the made in Canada at the bottom :thumbsup:

post-642-1171127543_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard
Social source share

Here we are 8 pages in and nobody's singing the praises of Bobby Bennett "Days go by"- :ohmy: fabUlus x-over

Agree Steve... how could we have overlooked such an awesome tune.

But is it as good as the Pickett version?

Never been able to decide on that one.

On further reflection, maybe Pickett just edges it.

But BB is great Philly 45!

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

Agree Steve... how could we have overlooked such an awesome tune.

But is it as good as the Pickett version?

Never been able to decide on that one.

On further reflection, maybe Pickett just edges it.

But BB is great Philly 45!

Sean

I come down on the BB side on this one.....see you at "Essence" Sean, if not before.

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

ALLRITE PEEPS,

Personally theres one 45 on p.i.r that stands out a mile from the rest

Anthony White- Hey Baby- zsb 3566. Its also one of the rarer releases

paid £30.00 for my issue a couple of yrs back, but recently seen one on here for £150.00 ???

cheers Sid :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm gonna try to get this thread up to 9 pages, so here's a few more Philly gems for you people to keep a look out for -

O Jays - Let Life Flow - Anthemic dancer from the Message In the Music Album

Instant Funk - So Glad I'm the One - TSOP 45 (Bunny Sigler vocalises on a nice 2-step b-side to It Ain't Reggae..)

Bily Paul - People Power - Don't think anyone has mentioned this 45

On the subject of Anthony White, Stop and Think It Over - I thought this came out on a 45 - can anyone confirm? What about The Jones Girls - Keep It Coming - did that get a single release?

Cheers

Steve.

Social source share

The Jones Girls - Keep It Coming had a US release definitely on PIR 4385 with Better Things To Do on the flip and UK release as well I think yes.gifhttps://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/100548/JONES+GIRLS

In fact there's one for sale here https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43023

Anthony White original is LP only but Stop And Think It Over had a 12" (re)release a couple of years ago. Another one from the album that I think could get some dancefloor action is Only Child's Play, has it ever got spins anywhere??

Edited by richard
Social source share

Guest niceonecyril

One of my Philly faves is the juicy white label promo 12" The Spirits In It:Patti Labelle circa 1981.It's not about being rare just being good!!!!!.

Social source share

Darling Come Back Home - love committee - tsop

14204 refosoul

Sorry for the duplication. Thanks Si for the heads up.

This is worth uploading again. Trust me, it gets better every time you listen to it.

Hi Niki, amazing one, but.. i think it's not Love Committee but seems Ronnie Walker.. isn't?

Social source share

Hi Niki, amazing one, but.. i think it's not Love Committee but seems Ronnie Walker.. isn't?

nah! deffo sounds like Ron Tyson to me! As an aside always thought it was kinda nice that after Ron had done some very "Temptations" sounding numbers with his first group The Ethics (prior to love committee) He should eventually become one of the many replacements for Eddie Kendricks in the Temptations!

steve

Social source share

Ok, finally its Kaleidoscope - We're not getting any younger (TSOP, 1975) not Love Committee.

Social source share

Thats right Paul, from the Could It Be Magic lp. It got a reissue on 12" with The More I Get The More I Want by Teddy Pendergrass on the flip.

There's another real corker on there, if I get the chance I'll load it up tomorrow as i'll need to burn it on to cd
:)

Nice one Richard
:D
Only have one 45 by him I'm afraid "Never Repay Your Love"/Never Let You Get Away From me"

Two good sides........... also on the LP?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

SteveH - O'Jays "let life flow". Fantastic record and one of their very best, always get asked about it when I play it out.

OK, I could fill about 20 pages with P.Int favs, got all the Phil.Int LP releases. Here are a just a few of my many, many favs;

Jerry Butler "Let's make love" (1978)

Dells - "Somebody's gotta move" (1992)

Ebonys - "I'll try" (1973)

Force of Nature - "if you decide" (1976)

Futures - "Why must it end" (1980)

Phyllis Hyman - "Living in confusion" (1991)

Intruders - "Save the children" (1972)

Jacksons - "Find me a girl" (1977)

Shirley Jones - "She knew about me" (1986)

Patti Labelle - "If only you knew" (1983)

mcfadden & Whitehead "I've been pushed aside" (1979)

Universe feat. Jean Carn - "Love is beautiful (when it's right)" (1991)

Social source share

Nice one Richard
Only have one 45 by him I'm afraid "Never Repay Your Love"/Never Let You Get Away From me"

Two good sides........... also on the LP?

Cheers Paul

Yes Paul, both on the LP. Really like Never Let You Get Away From Me :unsure:

Wont have a chance to post the other track tonight as just got in from work but will do it if got a chance in the next day or so

Social source share

SteveH - O'Jays "let life flow". Fantastic record and one of their very best, always get asked about it when I play it out.

OK, I could fill about 20 pages with P.Int favs, got all the Phil.Int LP releases. Here are a just a few of my many, many favs;

Jerry Butler "Let's make love" (1978)

Dells - "Somebody's gotta move" (1992)

Ebonys - "I'll try" (1973)

Force of Nature - "if you decide" (1976)

Futures - "Why must it end" (1980)

Phyllis Hyman - "Living in confusion" (1991)

Intruders - "Save the children" (1972)

Jacksons - "Find me a girl" (1977)

Shirley Jones - "She knew about me" (1986)

Patti Labelle - "If only you knew" (1983)

mcfadden & Whitehead "I've been pushed aside" (1979)

Universe feat. Jean Carn - "Love is beautiful (when it's right)" (1991)

Nice list Mr G
:unsure::wicked:
whatcha reckon to Grace Littles 12 of "Somebodys Gotta Move"?

Thought it was just the Dells track with her voice mixed in?

The last Philly vinyl release?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest soulville

Great topic I love Philly. Good to see that keep on loving you is getting spins. I played it the last time I was on the radio alongside the one of the best philly tunes not on philly.......You'll have to listen in to my next radio show ( June 2007) or wait until I upload it on here to find out what it is. Clue 1979 MCA and no its not HM and the B's. :o)

One for the spotters and its a TUUUUUNE!

soulville

https://www.soulvilleradio.wetpaint.com

https://www.myspace.com/soulvilleradio

Social source share

Guest lastone

Everybody Have A Good Time - archie bell & the drells - pir

This, the full length version, of "Everybody Have A Good Time" is a big fave of mine. Gets really hypnotic towards the end.

wow, great one!

Social source share

Not sure about the "Ready For Teddy" LP BIGSOULMAN but its on his first solo Philly LP (1977) after he quit the Bluenotes.

Not sure about the price but every tracks a winner "You Can't Hide From Yourself" "Somebody Told Me" "Be Sure" "I Dont Love You Anymore" "The Whole Towns Laughing" etc

Cheers Paul

Here it is Paul

post-2346-1174752544_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Thanks BIGSOULMAN
Is it some kind of compilation?

Cheers Paul

It's been kicking around for years Paul and to be honest never really paid much attention to it :shades: but just dug it out and yes you are right, from 1981 it is, need to look out for the original album in case the soul police come a knocking :thumbsup::wicked:

Lenny :D

Social source share

It's been kicking around for years Paul and to be honest never really paid much attention to it
:shades:
but just dug it out and yes you are right, from 1981 it is, need to look out for the original album in case the soul police come a knocking
:thumbsup::wicked:

Lenny

Make sure them soul police 'ave a warrant Lenny !

Cheers Paul

PS Get the orignal LP you won't be dissapointed I"m sure

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Also been spinning this up in Aberdeen for a while now. Acetate has slightly diff intro to the French and German 45. Still none the wiser if this exists on a US 45 even though it was given a release number.

Tubbs

post-1438-1175455066_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Also been spinning this up in Aberdeen for a while now. Acetate has slightly diff intro to the French and German 45. Still none the wiser if this exists on a US 45 even though it was given a release number.

Tubbs

post-1438-1175455066_thumb.jpg

Only got this on the LP tubbs..................might have a German 45 I"ll have to check

You got a full US 45s listing then? Would love to see that

Cheers Paul

Social source share

While just on the subject of Teddy P, anyone tried playing out You Must Live On by him - slightly piched up it could work as maybe the track before the last one of the night

Think my mate Chris "Bearsoul" has been playing this out richard. Not sure if he was pitching it up !

Great record
:lol:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Another nice French piccy bag thumbsup.gif

Hello, "Philly Devotions"!!

I am a catalonian (from Tarragona, Spain) symphonic soul lover from my teens in the 70's. I allways loved the orchestrated soul of Chicago from Curtis to The Chi-lites and, of course, those lush and classical string arranged tracks by the green label PIR.

I'm not a DJ an not a musician. Simply a soul lover (despite the fact I do a Radio program of Soul Music betwen 1983-1985 in a local radio-station).

Here's a brief track list of my PIR-TSOP favourites (not necesarily "rare" items). I never stop to heard it from the firts time i got it:

-"Bitter Sweet" - MFSB (I likes the mellow trumpet notes!)

-"Don't Call Me Brother" - O'Jays (I think this is Eddie Levert at his best: bluesy, gospel, jazzy... and the nice vibes by Vincent Montana!)

-"The Big Hurt" - People's Choice (one of the tracks where Frank Brunson is richer)

-"Opus de Funk" - People's Choice (simply fantastic, mellow and a good sax by Sam Peak)

-"Soncere" - Michael Pedicin, Jr. (sax and wesmontgomerian guitar are simply delicious)

-"Bumpin' Boogie" - Talk Of The Town (the horn section at the intro is dynamite)

-"Virgin Girl" - Soul Survivors (my favorite by them, with the spanisg guitar and Neil Larsen at keyboards. Is a sweet but not corny or "bland" ballad)

-"I'm Searching For A Love" - Sharon Paige (and H. Melvin & The Blue Notes). I don't have words to describe this nice female voice and the pure poetry of this song.

-"Spring Again" - Lou Rawls (one of my Lou PIR favorites of all time from 77 on)

I'll post again for comment rarities and other Philly favorites (on PIR, Salsoul and other labels). I'm not a collector but, from the seventies there are some Philly rarities, specially the more jazzy - fusion catalogue I'm reaching for: "Half & Half" (Cleveland Eaton); "Poutpurri" (Thad Jones & Mel Lewis); "Bicentennial Poet" (Jean Claude T), Eloise Law's and Dee Dee Bridgewater Thom Bell produced stuff and Nancy Wilson's Gamble & Huff productions,...

A great and friendly salute from a phillyspaniard!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert