Orlando Record Shops

Karlm

Are there any stores apart from Rock'n'roll heaven worth a visit? Tried searching for old threads but could not find anything.

Would also be thankful for tips around the West Palm Beach area! I collect soul/funk etc 1960-80's all formats not only rare stuff.

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was out there last May.Nothing left in Rock 'n' Roll Heaven unless you get lucky.You could try Banana's at St.Petersburg but not much left there,plus he doesn't price his records until you get to counter where he checks on computer or one of the guides he's got behind counter.

Believe there was a place called Soul Train records on West Church Street I think but not sure if there and was advised to go during daylight hours and with a mate.

Try Dave Moore on here he lives out there and could probably be able to update you better.

Regards

Dave.

Social source share

Many a disappointed collector left Orlando. Record Show is on end of January but apart from the odd thing now and then it's pretty much all gone. Although it was never a hotbed of vinyl imo, (IL find accepted), us local guys have emptied it over the years. When I moved here I figured all these guys retiring down here would bring there 45s and flog 'em for boats and stuff and I'd be 'quids in '. Good plan but with one major error...they flog the stuff before they come!! Doh!

Sorry to disapppoint...just calling it as is it. Weather's great though! :thumbsup:

Regards ,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Many a disappointed collector left Orlando. Record Show is on end of January but apart from the odd thing now and then it's pretty much all gone. Although it was never a hotbed of vinyl imo, (IL find accepted), us local guys have emptied it over the years. When I moved here I figured all these guys retiring down here would bring there 45s and flog 'em for boats and stuff and I'd be 'quids in '. Good plan but with one major error...they flog the stuff before they come!! Doh!

Sorry to disapppoint...just calling it as is it. Weather's great though! :thumbsup:

Regards ,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

We had a good laugh and a nice lunch though Dave last June when we came out....lol nice place but no records.....Mr Moore has them all....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Regards ,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Hehe thanks for that Dave! I have very low expectations and it's by no means a record trip.

Do you mean you won't even find cheap major label lp's and 45's? If not which stores stock that kind of records?

Edited by KarlM
Social source share

Regards ,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Dave, is Sid Arthur still on the go up in Ft Laurderdale? Had a great hit there many moons ago :thumbsup:

BH

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

If it's just general records people are looking for then yes, there are still a number of places around. Jupiter, N Lauderdale, Miami, Daytona and Tampa areas still have shops/stalls etc. Telephone books should have all the major ones and of course if you're in Ft Lauderdale then Jason is always worth calling of course. (He 's much more of a dealer than I - I have trouble parting with ANYTHING, including doubles!). If anyone needs any further details feel free to email me at:

hitsville2648@earthlink.net

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Won't help ya but had a strange experience in Rock nd Roll Heaven Orlando about 8 years ago, quietly shuffling through the stuff on offer - but conspicuously wearing my Everton shirt - a guy with a North Wales accent shuffles up to me and asks where I'm from, North Wales I reply. I'm only here coz a mate of mine (Cel T) asked me to drop in and see if there was anything worth picking up. The Bas*ard he said that's the only reason I'm here as well !

Went to pay and the geezer at the counter (sure he said he was brother to KC of sunshine band fame) asked if I knew a certain Mr King. Explained he wanted to do nasty unbiblical things to him on account of some alleged dodgy dealing shennanigins.

No records bought, just get me outta here and exit straight to the bar across the road !!

Social source share

I was out there last May.Nothing left in Rock 'n' Roll Heaven unless you get lucky.You could try Banana's at St.Petersburg but not much left there,plus he doesn't price his records until you get to counter where he checks on computer or one of the guides he's got behind counter.

Believe there was a place called Soul Train records on West Church Street I think but not sure if there and was advised to go during daylight hours and with a mate.

Try Dave Moore on here he lives out there and could probably be able to update you better.

Regards

Dave.

I went to Soul Train 3 years back and there was very little vinyl left. I did pick up a couple of nice Independent Cd`s though. I went there in daylight hours on my own (none of mates were into Soul) and even waited about 20/30 minutes for a bus nearby.Whilst i was wary being in an unfamilier area there was nothing to suggest it was potentially dangerous at the time.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Are there any stores apart from Rock'n'roll heaven worth a visit? Tried searching for old threads but could not find anything.

Would also be thankful for tips around the West Palm Beach area! I collect soul/funk etc 1960-80's all formats not only rare stuff.

Florida pretty much done to death. My advise would be to hire a car & head north to Georgia & the Carolinas & keep off the beaten path...........also, check out costs of internal flights, you may be suprised at how cheaply you can get to other states that may be more worth your while. I would also suggest that most of the record & thrift shops all over the US, have been emptied over the years, you might just get lucky but I would be suprised.

Good luck

Russ

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Had my best ever find in Tampa / St Pete's, retired old guy had moved down from Detroit bringing his collection with him. Some of the things I must have missed... Sigh......

Social source share

Had my best ever find in Tampa / St Pete's, retired old guy had moved down from Detroit bringing his collection with him. Some of the things I must have missed... Sigh......

We met a guy a couple of years ago used to DJ at the Ford Annual Picnic back in the day. Came round, had a beer or two, brought about 50 Detroit 45s. Said he had a couple of thousand more at home. Was thinking of selling. I invited him to the Hitsville Weekender - He spent all night on the dancefloor! He started collecting!! Damn!!

Had another contact that I used to get quite good stuff from. When I moved here he and his wife became friends. He also started collecting!! Damn!!

I'm a jinx! :angry:

Regards ,

Dave

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

We met a guy a couple of years ago used to DJ at the Ford Annual Picnic back in the day. Came round, had a beer or two, brought about 50 Detroit 45s. Said he had a couple of thousand more at home. Was thinking of selling. I invited him to the Hitsville Weekender - He spent all night on the dancefloor! He started collecting!! Damn!!

Had another contact that I used to get quite good stuff from. When I moved here he and his wife became friends. He also started collecting!! Damn!!

I'm a jinx! :angry:

Regards ,

Dave

Dave,

Sent you a p.m.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Fcuking ell - hate to say it mate but Florida was pretty much picked dry a LONG time ago - I used to go there for the whole of January around the years 98 / 99 / 2000 and it was getting bad even then..

Never forget the time my pal and I were in a Mom and Pop record show in Tampa (or somewhere similar?) and Clarkie walked in about an hour after we got there - maybe he'd already been in - who knows - but, boy, was he NOT PLEASED to see me and my pal there - there was only a few cheapies there but we found a few...he found nowt...

If u can be arsed to do the graft - go to Bananas and ask Doug to let u go thru the 12s - there are literally zillions stacked from floor to ceiling - mainly crap but you WILL find a few interesting 12s there - he knows jack about 12s and poss won't do too much popsiking on em so u may find a few bargains - in fact - u deffo will - worth an hour of yr time...

Were u all aware that Doug @ Banana's has a lock up too????? He says it's twice the size of Bananas itself - mind boggling - he reckons there's 2 million records in his lock up - nope - he wouldn't let us go there even tho we guaranteed to spend $1000.00 - even put it down on the counter in cash...he wouldn't budge - no need...

Two very nice finds in Bananas made the whole trip worthwhile in 1999 - a WD copy of Daybreak for $12 and an issue copy of Bobby Reed 'Time Is Right (For Love') for - wait for it - the bargain bin special price of 89c - the income from those 2 paid for my mate's and I's flights - we also found (bizarelly!) 4 promo copies of 100% Pure Poison's 'You Keep Coming Back' too - God knows how they ended up in there...it was only a £20 sound then but still nice to find - decent Funk too - nowt massive BUT good selling gear anyways...

God knows how Daybreak found it's way down there, being an NJ record - it was on the floor too and out of it's sleeve - amazing it wasn't cracked...

As I said - it WAS great FLA @ one time - not now...

MRez

Social source share

Fcuking ell - hate to say it mate but Florida was pretty much picked dry a LONG time ago - I used to go there for the whole of January around the years 98 / 99 / 2000 and it was getting bad even then..

Never forget the time my pal and I were in a Mom and Pop record show in Tampa (or somewhere similar?) and Clarkie walked in about an hour after we got there - maybe he'd already been in - who knows - but, boy, was he NOT PLEASED to see me and my pal there - there was only a few cheapies there but we found a few...he found nowt...

If u can be arsed to do the graft - go to Bananas and ask Doug to let u go thru the 12s - there are literally zillions stacked from floor to ceiling - mainly crap but you WILL find a few interesting 12s there - he knows jack about 12s and poss won't do too much popsiking on em so u may find a few bargains - in fact - u deffo will - worth an hour of yr time...

Were u all aware that Doug @ Banana's has a lock up too????? He says it's twice the size of Bananas itself - mind boggling - he reckons there's 2 million records in his lock up - nope - he wouldn't let us go there even tho we guaranteed to spend $1000.00 - even put it down on the counter in cash...he wouldn't budge - no need...

Two very nice finds in Bananas made the whole trip worthwhile in 1999 - a WD copy of Daybreak for $12 and an issue copy of Bobby Reed 'Time Is Right (For Love') for - wait for it - the bargain bin special price of 89c - the income from those 2 paid for my mate's and I's flights - we also found (bizarelly!) 4 promo copies of 100% Pure Poison's 'You Keep Coming Back' too - God knows how they ended up in there...it was only a £20 sound then but still nice to find - decent Funk too - nowt massive BUT good selling gear anyways...

God knows how Daybreak found it's way down there, being an NJ record - it was on the floor too and out of it's sleeve - amazing it wasn't cracked...

As I said - it WAS great FLA @ one time - not now...

MRez

Nice post Mr Rez, love reading these record hound tales.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Nice post Mr Rez, love reading these record hound tales.

Cheers Paul

I got loadsa these stories (most pro' dealers have - John Anderson - phew!!) and don't even get me started on Montreal / Quebec...I think I've been to the States / Canada maybe 50 times since 1984 which was the year of my first - I forget mosta the details of the earliest forays but mosta the 'better' trips stay in my mind...

MRez

Social source share

If anyone gets this, they must be as old or older than me!

orlando.jpg

Sam Kidd..he was a good actor but cant remember what he was in enlitghten me Pete. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Sam Kidd..he was a good actor but cant remember what he was in enlitghten me Pete. :thumbsup:

err..Orlando.....I look older than I am... :rolleyes:

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert