Show us your great photos 2021

Amsterdam Russ

3 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Great shot. I can imagine you lying down out of sight to get that 🙂 nice one

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Andy. I slowly walked to about 15 metres away then  kind of knelt down and moved slowly closer to within about 10 metres  then i took the picture

Steve yes very chuffed as well 👍 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Atlantic Grey Seal and Pup that had just been born , the umbilical cord is plainly visible on the first picture and there is blood still visible on its coat and it was possibly its first ever feed . All these photographs are heavily cropped as i was over 200 feet above them on the Cliff top 

IB2A2117 (2).JPG

IB2A2115 (2).JPG

IB2A2113 (2).JPG

IB2A2113 (3).JPG

IB2A2124 (2).JPG

Looks like you had a good time in Pembrokeshire Steve.  

• Thanks 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

I think so . Rather large . Other birds rather quiet while it was in area . Crows left it alone . 

The crows will leave it alone if its there local Buzzard,  but you can guarantee that if a Osprey flew through or a Red Kite, something they are not used to  they would be giving it grief 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

The crows will leave it alone if its there local Buzzard,  but you can guarantee that if a Osprey flew through or a Red Kite, something they are not used to  they would be giving it grief 

Not seen Osprey yet . Although may have seen one Month so ago . Certainly big enough . Up by Waddington Bridge . 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulandy said:

A bit surprised to see this kingfisher on the rocks sea fishing

Not the best photo as its off my phone on full zoom. Watched it for about 20 minutes or so

20211011_145707.jpg

20211011_145723.jpg

Andy. Nice to see mate but you will never guess what i saw today. A kingfisher on Milford Haven waterway a tidal estuary, i actually stopped the car and reversed back to see it properly . Lou managed a glimpse of it before it flew off. How spooky is that. I do know they migrate to the coast in times of harsh weather when the lakes, canals and rivers freeze in the winter

Social source share

The winners of the Natural History Museum's Wildlife Photographer of the Year have been announced, and the chosen selections are stunning!

The winning image was taken by Laurent Ballesta.

56-1280px-Laurent-Ballesta.jpg.thumb.116

His winning image, titled Creation, captures the rare sight of camouflage groupers leaving a mating frenzy which occurs once a year under a full moon.

Story and winning photos here:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2021/october/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-2021-winning-images.html

• Up vote 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, Mal C said:

I saw a Red Squirrel recently, first time since the only time back in the 7ts,  are they making a come back Steve?

Mal. Of sorts there is a ongoing re-introduction of Pine Martins and as such they are predating the Grey Squirrels which are much heavier and slower than the Reds and cannot escape the Martins on the thinner branches like the Reds can plus the Greys spend more time on the ground which makes them even easier for the Martins to catch as a consequence the Reds are re-establishing themselves in certain areas of the UK 

The Pine Martin and the Red Squirrel have evolved together in the UK and as such there will always be a healthy equilibrium between the two species.

Did you see the Red Squirrel in the Forest of Dean area mate ? 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mal. Of sorts there is a ongoing re-introduction of Pine Martins and as such they are predating the Grey Squirrels which are much heavier and slower than the Reds and cannot escape the Martins on the thinner branches like the Reds can plus the Greys spend more time on the ground which makes them even easier for the Martins to catch as a consequence the Reds are re-establishing themselves in certain areas of the UK 

The Pine Martin and the Red Squirrel have evolved together in the UK and as such there will always be a healthy equilibrium between the two species.

Did you see the Red Squirrel in the Forest of Dean area mate ? 

Not in my back garden its like a grey squirrels all-dayer!!!!

Edited by Soulman58
  • Up vote 1
Social source share