Recomend Dj's

Guest andrew bin

Guest Leigh J

They probably paid him nowt, he works for them. Agreed on Chris, top lad, great great taste in music. :P

Chris Has Worked There For Years :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 236
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Joan , Remember The Old Days When We Just Got On With It ? No Mobile Phones , No Computers Just Soulin' All Weekend , Politics Yes But Not Like All This , Its Gone Mad !

What Do You Think ?

I was there too,i dont mind the politics better than 300 phone numbers on bits of paper,memberships etc.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I was there too,i dont mind the politics better than 300 phone numbers on bits of paper,memberships etc.

I Thought You were Going Out Ken ?

Social source share

Hi Joan , Remember The Old Days When We Just Got On With It ? No Mobile Phones , No Computers Just Soulin' All Weekend , Politics Yes But Not Like All This , Its Gone Mad !

What Do You Think ?

Ha ha Lee... you have a point..

Have to say.. i like things better now than back then... once Sunday came... you probably wouldn't have any contact with anybody you knew through being on the soul scene until the following weekend.

While... in some cases.. this was a definitely a good thing... i wouldn't want to be without my daily soul fix for anything.

God how sad am i :wicked:

....although... i suspect i'm far from alone on that one :P

Social source share

Mark Wilson. A totally forgotten name - to all but those in the know. And still has all his stuff as well.

Hammy

I heard about Mark and I have asked him to come and do a spot at Burnley. The offer is still there, and I hope to tie him down to a date, as soon as I get them sorted. Hopefully tomorrow. :wicked: Bloody Club management. :P

Phil.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Ha ha Lee... you have a point..

Have to say.. i like things better now than back then... once Sunday came... you probably wouldn't have any contact with anybody you knew through being on the soul scene until the following weekend.

While... in some cases.. this was a definitely a good thing... i wouldn't want to be without my daily soul fix for anything.

God how sad am i :wicked:

Thats The Way I Liked It Just Me And My Records , As For Being Sad What Sort Of People Sit In Front Of Computers Till The Early Hours ?

Me For One wink.gif

....although... i suspect i'm far from alone on that one :P

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Just thought of another deserving nominee...Paul Thomas-Peter...if you can drag him away from running his pub :D All round good egg, some dodgy bloke records but apart from that minor flaw in his otherwise impeccable taste - not a bad dj :thumbsup: Take note, you promoters in York....book him. Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well from my local i would say Ade Bull he don't DJ so much but wouldn't know how big or good is collection is.

My new fav DJ is Keith Wilcox who now seems to get on the decks more him perfect i say.

Social source share

Well can't argue with that - Pete and Jase are the best DJ's a girl could ask for! Not that I'm bias or anything LOL Debs (the other half of Soul nights @ Bridgwater) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Her's an idea for Mike and Soul Source.................. :yes:

Why not set up a DJ Directory...... a listing of dj's,their playlists,music styles,availability,distance covered and their contact details etc.

Perhaps this would help all dj's,up an'coming and well established and aid promoters...watcha think,not sure whether this should be a seperate thread?

That sounds like a good idea!

Interesting comments but what constitutes a good DJ?

DJ who fills the floor - regardless of what he plays (boots/Cd's included)?

Dj who fills the floor with just vinyl originals?

DJ who plays new UK releases in his spot?

DJ who plays US and UK Originals? filling the floor.

DJ who plays Unknows?

DJ who plays unknows & Floorfillers

DJ who knows how to use a mike (Lots can't)

DJ who doesn't use a mike (can't or doesn't want to)

Loads of comments will come back no doubt, but please think about what venue you are talking about before you state your preferred DJ.

Large commercial type venue cost money so you need lots of punters to make it pay, back room of your local pub is totally different, DJ in each venue may be totally inappropriate to the other.

A DJ with equal use of the above skills and more I think is desireable. thumbsup.gif

I think the original poster was just asking people who they thought deserved more DJ spots...

So what Djs and promoters from the 80s & 90s do you think should be Djing more? :thumbsup:

Don't mean to toot my own horn, but I SHOULD!! :wicked:

Social source share

Kev - Roger - under rated :boxing: Blimey, there's a Roger Banks Fan Club....we love Roger :D and he's not a bad dj either - lol :D Jo

Not sure that Roger is under rated :yes: ,he was one of the best for me and many others from the mid 80s onwards..Respect to that man indeed..

Lenny Dopson

Spent a day with lenny in a caravan at Cleethorpes and had a good look at his box shades.gif ...

Social source share

This is like being talked about when you are sat in the same room!

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated......

I do get quite a few spots but could always do more, especially at the more forward thinking venues.

Still amazes me how i get comments about the adverts, I did 32 in total between 1997 and 2004 before i was replaced by bloody Bill Oddie. There must be some irony there as the first record i was ever bought (not gonna admit to buying it myself) was the Funky Gibbon by the Goodies! Anyway, even though i have`nt done an advert for 2 years not a soul night or nighter goes by without someone mentioning it!

Ken, Sorry if i look miserable mate, Im ok when you get to know me!

Chris

Social source share

I would recomend my old mate Rob kay from the Willington soul nights...amazing collection, can turn his hand to anything, 70s, crossover, oldies, R&B etc...amazing collection, mixes cheapies with rarities, has great taste....and he is a lovely guy too....should get a lot more bookings...he would never let you down...

I guess my recomendation would be complete by saying I have asked Rob to DJ at my wedding for a couple of hours!

Chris

Social source share

Just thought of another deserving nominee...Paul Thomas-Peter...if you can drag him away from running his pub tongue.gif All round good egg, some dodgy bloke records but apart from that minor flaw in his otherwise impeccable taste - not a bad dj :boxing: Take note, you promoters in York....book him. Jo

Well that's very kind Jo :yes: , thanks

Actually the person that should be booked by more promoters up & down the country is your good self, I know you do quite a bit but not enough gigs as you deserve.

Come on you promoters! Jo is technically the best DJ I have ever seen and heard, and also has the tunes to dazzle and surprise you. Never done a bad set IMO

Nuff said

Social source share

Actually the person that should be booked by more promoters up & down the country is your good self, I know you do quite a bit but not enough gigs as you deserve.

Come on you promoters! Jo is technically the best DJ I have ever seen and heard, and also has the tunes to dazzle and surprise you. Never done a bad set IMO

Nuff said

She likes scar,and plays it out.

Nuff said.

Social source share

Nuff said

Nuff said.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Nuff said.

Ken, it's ska...but I do have a large scar :rolleyes: and I also like and play Studio One, Coxsone,Treasure Isle, Dr Bird, White Island, Skabeat etc etc etc....always have, always will....but only when I'm in the mood for ska and not at a 'Northern' gig...that would scare the horses :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

also has the tunes to dazzle and surprise you. Never done a bad set IMO

Paul, that's too kind....my trick is once I've run out of A sides, I play the B sides - crossing my fingers that no-one will notice and think that I've got loads of tunes :rolleyes: I've had my off days...just lucky you weren't there :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I would recomend my old mate Rob kay from the Willington soul nights...amazing collection, can turn his hand to anything, 70s, crossover, oldies, R&B etc...amazing collection, mixes cheapies with rarities, has great taste....and he is a lovely guy too....should get a lot more bookings...he would never let you down...

I guess my recomendation would be complete by saying I have asked Rob to DJ at my wedding for a couple of hours!

Chris

Damn, you beat me to it, Chris...I was going to nominate both Rob and Austin as well as yourself... :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Ive always liked Roger Banks,very under rated and a nice lad.

Kev. :rolleyes:

Not under rated in these parts...... Many here agree he's a God :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Tony Reynolds from Brum (Ship ashore/ Outrigger) Has a class collection and should be dragged away from the city for a few gigs. He seemed to be lost with what is being played on the scene at the minute but thats a good thing. His taste is class and collection huge also extremely funny on the mic.

I'd book him but i don't have a gig :rolleyes:

Social source share

OK, feel a bit guilty now, should have done this earlier, but she's my wife to be. Malayka, has had great feedback from the set she's done in the UK so far. Has run a successful 6 weekly event, with Martin in Germany for 5 years. Also last year put on one of Europe's best weekenders, in Bamberg, just ask Butch and Sam. Plays Crossover thru to contempary sets, so new blood, should get more bookings.

Dave :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well that's very kind Jo :thumbsup: , thanks

Nuff said

Here here. Jo Wallace :thumbsup:

A real lovely lady, great tunes, amazing enthusiasm and could chat on the mic keeping everyone entertained all night long

Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

For me it has to be my old mate Chris Jones (Spinning Vinyl).

Thanks Joan :thumbsup:

But likewise for a lady with impecable taste, passion and dancabilty you will always be a high prority for any promoter.

Tony Smith one of me old London mates has the knowledge and tunes to turn a night.

For Modern Robin Salter always did it for me, great taste and top bloke.

Another old friend I've heard do some blinding soul night spots in the past and has a tasty set of tunes is Chris Ashby from Bedford, likewise on a collector/ DJ tip is Ady Harley I think an Aussie recall is needed there!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Could do with more of Jo up north.I love it when she swears on the mic and does the Pauline Fowler voice..

Great girl and quality dj indeed :shades:

LOL wicked.gif Steve, you know I only swear at people who won't dance :thumbsup: ....Appauling Fowler taught me everything I know :yes::P When there's no snow on the peaks and I don't need me thermals, I may venture northward :ohmy: Another stint at the Birch would be lovely... :yes::D Jo

Social source share

LOL wicked.gif Steve, you know I only swear at people who won't dance :thumbsup: ....Appauling Fowler taught me everything I know :D:yes: When there's no snow on the peaks and I don't need me thermals, I may venture northward :shades: Another stint at the Birch would be lovely... :ohmy::yes: Jo

Gotta say Jo,you played a cracking set when I met you at derby Rolls Royce club few month Back,you planning on comming up this way anytime soon

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Gotta say Jo,you played a cracking spot at derby Rolls Royce club few month Back,you planning on comming up this way anytime soon

Bazza

Bazza, if they'll have me - yes :shades: Loved doing the RR Club - great crowd and SUPERB venue. I think there were 400 people there, all totally up for it. I even got to play my Little Joe Hinton :thumbsup: If anyone on Soul Source sees the Derby alldayer advertised, get yourselves down there - fabulous tunes and chips at the bar rolleyes.gif Jo

Social source share

Could do with more of Jo up north.I love it when she swears on the mic and does the Pauline Fowler voice..

Great girl and quality dj indeed yes.gif

That's her own voice ! She used to be a conductor on the 31 route from Camden Town, Kilburn through Notting Hill to Kings Rd until she was replaced by an oyster card. Anyway, I think they're are far too many cockernee's going up north already, KEEP 'EM DAHN SARF THATS WOT I SAY.

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

Good topic with some quality spinners being mentioned. Here in london from a Modern/Crossover perspective the following immediately come to mind, Tony Rounce,"Mental Soul`s" Gareth Donovan, Niki Golding and Mole, Steve Cole,"Soul Intent`s" Simon Murray,Paul Phillips and Gary Lee,Neil Forbes, "Soul of the Barrio`s" Dave Taylor and VICTOR Sanchez, Ivor Jones plus quite a few local collectors with excellent records who only occasionally get the chance to spin.Outside of London i have a lot of time for Andy Etheridge,Dave and Jordi Ripollis,Brian Goucher,Mick O Donnell and Steve Jackson.

Totally agree with you their Mark and & put your good self in there too. From a south side modern /rare groove perspective add Paul Thrower for good measure,Paul Betts,Mark 'Binsey' Taylor and our mate Lee Rothman.

Great thread.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That's her own voice ! She used to be a conductor on the 31 route from Camden Town, Kilburn through Notting Hill to Kings Rd until she was replaced by an oyster card. Anyway, I think they're are far too many cockernee's going up north already, KEEP 'EM DAHN SARF THATS WOT I SAY.

Plenty more room on top, hold tight............ :wicked: where's me washboard.... :shades: Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert