Guest andrew bin

• Replies 236
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Trouble with djs they all like each other,boring.

Truth is Ken, DJ's are scared to say what they really think of other DJ's for fear of not getting bookings . . . :no:

And if and when they do speak out, constructively or otherwise, they're accused of being bitter and jealous . . . . :unsure:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Truth is Ken, DJ's are scared to say what they really think of other DJ's for fear of not getting bookings . . . :no:

And if and when they do speak out, constructively or otherwise, they're accused of being bitter and jealous . . . . :unsure:

I never thought of that :lol:

Social source share

I have tried 75 minute spots at Burnley from time to time, and they seem to be very popular with DJ's and punters. I think it gives you more time to express yourself without overstretching your play box......

I'm very particular to whom I give a guest spot , and I think that a lot of the frustrations that James [and many others who ain't got the bottle to say so] feels, are caused by promoters that do not have a music policy, but book tried and tested, or should that be TIRED and OVER USED DJ's, and just give them carte blanche to play whatever crap they like.....

So far, all the guest DJ's that I have had on at Burnley have been absolutely brilliant. I have also tried to give up and coming DJ's a chance doing a warm up hour. I know this isn't an ideal time to be on, but it's so that myself and the other residents can hear what they have to offer. And we have been very impressed with the performances so far.....

At the end of the day, while we are still able to dance and express ourselves, I feel you have to try to excite people onto the dance floor. It doesn't matter that I can't walk for a week after a Burnley Allnighter, it just means that the music has been brilliant, and I've had a fantastic night. We're all going to be a long time dead, so I want to dance now.....

So many great DJ's that never get a chance. And their the ones that have the passion and are looking to play something fresh.....

So in a nutshell, the promoters need to exercise some imagination, and stop booking their friends to dj all the time. Stagnation of the music, is why so many have stopped going out.

Sorry for the rant, once I get started....... :no:

Phil.

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

In portugal myself and the other guest DJs play 3 or 4 hour sets, I piss in a pot, I think that's pretty normal outside the northern scene. You'll usually see Keb filling a pint glass at Madame Jo Jo's every Friday and Saturday night. I think 45 minute sets are pretty unique to the northern scene, and in my opinion a bit of a problem that needs addressing :no:

I thought it was strange when I see this fella run into the kitchen that's joined onto the stage in the middle of his dj set at Buckys do...

post-2021-1169773748_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Still, no one apart from me has mention anyone outside the UK. Does this mean you don't rate anyone who is note from these shores. Or is it because you never travel outside the UK, cuz 'The UK has the best soul events'. :no:

Like James I think this one hour thing should change, we will be giving everyone at least 80min sets at Soulshakers International and some 90mins.

Dave

Beg to differ Dave, I have mentioned Mike U from California.........great DJ, young, enthusiastic, great record collection..........& guess what he really gets it & feels it too.

Russ

Social source share

Lenny Dopson.

Pucka DJ! I only ever heard him play at the 100 Club a few years ago and he was bloody awesome! The quality of the tunes he played was superb.

other than the soul nite he has run at Wellingborough for ages now {and the last nite is coming up soon:-( } you don't see him enough at other gigs. It would be great to see him included in more Line-Ups.

Dolly :no:

Social source share

======

yes its a tricky area isnt it if youre passionate about your sounds and want to play but cant..can be so frustrating when you dont get an opportunity on the big stage

probably why there are so many events on

but its not the end of the world...just bide yer time and it will come to those that wait..

Social source share

STEVE DAVIDSON N.E.S.U.s VERY KNOWLEDGABLE RESIDENT AND COLLECTOR OF SOME FINE SOUL TUNES.

ALWAYS A PLEASURE LISTENING TO HIM PLAY AND TALK SOUL RELATED STUFF.

SNIPPETS OF HIS SPOT AT WHITLEY BAY. :no:

STEVE'S SET:

Cookie Jackson Do you still love me Progress

Marie Knight Come on baby Okeh

Wade Flemons Jeanette Ramsel

Bud Harper Wherever you were Peacock

Monzas You know you turn me on Moon

Ann Sexton You've been gone too long Seventy 7

Dena Barnes If you ever walk out of my life Inferno

Adorables Ooh Boy Golden World

Kenny Smith Oh Lord what is happening Gold Spot

Dynamics I need your love RCA

Willie Kendrick What's that on your finger RCA

Natural Four I thought you were mine ABC

Paul Sinbad I was a fool Powertree

Sam Dees Lonely for you baby SS International

Bobby Reed The time is right for love Bell

Chandlers Your love makes me lonely Col Soul

Sunlovers My poor heart Breakthrough

Frank Beverly If that's what you wanted Gamble

September Jones I'm coming home Kapp

Stoppers Come back baby Jubilee

Dynells Call on me Atco

Pacesetters My ship is coming in Mica

Dukesy :unsure:

hardly an imaginitive playlist

Social source share

thumbsup.gif Hmm top djs eh!! well anybody who follows me always sounds good :( can,t work that one out yet :shades: LOL. Anyway this lot get,s me cranked up, CLIFF CAMFIELD, PAUL HARRIS, PHIL KOWALCZYK, FLANNY, MICK HOWARD, STE THOMAS and check out NEIL TAYLOR you won,t be disappointed im sure shades.gif ENZO.
thanks for the kind words geoff,still not getting toni & the showmen off me :shades:

Mick

Edited by micksmix
Social source share

In portugal myself and the other guest DJs play 3 or 4 hour sets, I piss in a pot, I think that's pretty normal outside the northern scene. You'll usually see Keb filling a pint glass at Madame Jo Jo's every Friday and Saturday night.

....precisely why I only drink bottled beer :shades:

Social source share

Play a 13 min long jazz track......gives you time to get to the bar n'all...... :shades:

Girf

Absolutely. I've got a few standard 'piss tracks', the full length version of 'Do I Do' being one of em!! laugh.gif

Social source share

Yes, I heard that said..............said the rest were "shit tracks"............not sure what they meant mate :shades:laugh.gif:shades:

Cheers,

Mark R

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Randle you nasty EVIL jealous and bitter bastard!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif:(:lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

Social source share

Still, no one apart from me has mention anyone outside the UK. Does this mean you don't rate anyone who is note from these shores. Or is it because you never travel outside the UK, cuz 'The UK has the best soul events'. :shades:

Like James I think this one hour thing should change, we will be giving everyone at least 80min sets at Soulshakers International and some 90mins.

Dave

Everytime I have been abroad, either as a punter or DJing, many of the local DJs are like a breath of fresh air. They don't carry the same hang ups or blinkered view of the music, that years of DJing & puntering in the UK can bestow upon you. Myself & the other two promoters @ Monumental have recently been discussing bringing over a couple of these DJs....but being a small event it comes down to cost and whether we can afford to take the loss if it doesn't pan out.

I'm hoping that we can get something sorted in the near future.

And roll on Soul 4 Real in Bilbao in 2 weeks time !!! thumbsup.gif

Girf

Social source share

Still, no one apart from me has mention anyone outside the UK. Does this mean you don't rate anyone who is note from these shores. Or is it because you never travel outside the UK, cuz 'The UK has the best soul events'. :shades:

Dave

We give nearly all our solo guests @ Monumental 90 min sets - and on the rare occasions we have two guests they have an hour each.....I see anything less as an insult.....

Girf

Social source share

Everytime I have been abroad, either as a punter or DJing, many of the local DJs are like a breath of fresh air. They don't carry the same hang ups or blinkered view of the music, that years of DJing & puntering in the UK can bestow upon you. Myself & the other two promoters @ Monumental have recently been discussing bringing over a couple of these DJs....but being a small event it comes down to cost and whether we can afford to take the loss if it doesn't pan out.

I'm hoping that we can get something sorted in the near future.

And roll on Soul 4 Real in Bilbao in 2 weeks time !!! :shades:

Girf

I know the cost are a problem, but book them well in advance and their flights and it can work out a good deal, must get down to yours again soon

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Interesting comments but what constitutes a good DJ?

DJ who fills the floor - regardless of what he plays (boots/Cd's included)?

Dj who fills the floor with just vinyl originals?

DJ who plays new UK releases in his spot?

DJ who plays US and UK Originals? filling the floor.

DJ who plays Unknows?

DJ who plays unknows & Floorfillers

DJ who knows how to use a mike (Lots can't)

DJ who doesn't use a mike (can't or doesn't want to)

Loads of comments will come back no doubt, but please think about what venue you are talking about before you state your preferred DJ.

Large commercial type venue cost money so you need lots of punters to make it pay, back room of your local pub is totally different, DJ in each venue may be totally inappropriate to the other.

Social source share

Interesting comments but what constitutes a good DJ?

DJ who fills the floor - regardless of what he plays (boots/Cd's included)?

Dj who fills the floor with just vinyl originals?

DJ who plays new UK releases in his spot?

DJ who plays US and UK Originals? filling the floor.

DJ who plays Unknows?

DJ who plays unknows & Floorfillers

DJ who knows how to use a mike (Lots can't)

DJ who doesn't use a mike (can't or doesn't want to)

Loads of comments will come back no doubt, but please think about what venue you are talking about before you state your preferred DJ.

Large commercial type venue cost money so you need lots of punters to make it pay, back room of your local pub is totally different, DJ in each venue may be totally inappropriate to the other.

Might be an obvious answer but I'd say the better DJ's can do all of the above and will choose/tailor a set according to where and when they're playing and with consideration as to who they're DJ'ing alongside at any given venue. Intelligence is a primary requirement of a DJ imho. Some have it, some don't. :wub:

Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

I`D LIKE TO ADD TO THAT LIST OF TOP DJ`S,TWO BLOKES WITH CRACKING RECORD COLLECTIONS,-

KEV FERNHEAD & GEOFF RUDD,THEY HAVE EVERYTHING FROM R & B TO CLASSIC NORTHERN,TO RARE AND UPFRONT SOUL.

THEY DESERVE THEIR CHANCE TO BE HEARD ON A REGULAR BASIS,I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THEM ENOUGH.

TOP LADS WITH SOME TASTY TUNES....IMO

NEIL. :wub:

Social source share

Still, no one apart from me has mention anyone outside the UK. Does this mean you don't rate anyone who is note from these shores. Or is it because you never travel outside the UK, cuz 'The UK has the best soul events'. :wub:

Dave

Chriustian Brodsjoe is one of the best I've heeard form other shores, great taste. Over here Andy Whitmore should be heard more.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I'd also agree with Butch needing to be heard more. The best collection going and he's hardly on anywhere these days.

Thought that was his choice though ?

Social source share

Steve Z

:wub:
I agree with you there.........he has some greet sound's that he dose not play out......and another is Ritchie Andrew from North Wales.....Being there on the scene from the start, and always way ahead with his sounds, before they became top record for the top D.J's 3 years later.

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Lenny Dopson.

Pucka DJ! I only ever heard him play at the 100 Club a few years ago and he was bloody awesome! The quality of the tunes he played was superb.

other than the soul nite he has run at Wellingborough for ages now {and the last nite is coming up soon:-( } you don't see him enough at other gigs. It would be great to see him included in more Line-Ups.

Dolly :wub:

Spot on, Dolly. Lenny is a top bloke and a fab dj. I tried to lure him down to These Old Shoes but never managed to get him on the decks... :thumbsup: Another two wonderful tune meisters are John Weston & Paul Dunn....both have collections to make me go weak at the knees. Both have well defined taste and both have their own style behind the decks.... :P Kim Styles and Keith Rylatt also get my vote... :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Ive always liked Roger Banks,very under rated and a nice lad.

Kev. :wub:

Kev - Roger - under rated :rolleyes: Blimey, there's a Roger Banks Fan Club....we love Roger :P and he's not a bad dj either - lol :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert