Recomend Dj's

Guest andrew bin

Guest 45s and 33s

From a Scottish perspective .... John MacDonald, Fraser Dunn and Hammy. Knowledgeable and have an ear for great sounds. Really deserve to be heard by a wider audience.

Ali

Social source share

• Replies 236
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

there are loads of fantastic dj' out there that deseve more spots, who would you recomend

i have loads, heres a few

Wazz, top bloke superb collection plays accross the board northern RnB and a little modren/crossover :thumbsup:

Pete Lyster, top bloke also with superb collection plays accross the board and quality northern :D

Jason Bessant, one of the best motown collections play all motown and some lovely early motown/RnB :yes:

Mike Wilks, again lovely bloke fantastic collection plays accross the board has some lovely stuff :thumbsup:

Mark Thomas lovely quiet bloke superb RnB collection plays 100% quality RnB

i can't recomend any of these highly enough :thumbsup: (i also don't want to categorise them)

i'll put some more up later

i'm glad i'm not a dj :yes:

Tony Ellis

Shay Richardson

Paul Sutton

Dave Abbott

Dave Greet

LLoyd Attrill

Ben Summers

Mike U from the US (Brilliant DJ with sublime taste)

Adam...........love to see more of Adam these days

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Butch, he should have more. Never long enough sets either. Get rid of the weaker DJs and give longer sets to the better DJs. :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I havent got my work vs rest of the life ratio worked out very well but if I did I would spend all my time in the North West...you lucky people have a regular chance to listen to the Orwell crew and a whole heap of the best dj s in the country. If I can add Adam and Steve Guarnori...that d be perfect!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Or James Trouble even!!!!!!!!!!!

If there were not so many shite DJs getting me angry and worked up I wouldn't have any inclination to DJ :thumbsup:

Never mind more DJs, how about clearing out the dead wood first...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Never mind 10 DJs a night all getting paid their petrol money. Have a couple of quality professional warm up DJs, probably residents, and then one of the very few really good DJs on for 3 hours. Pay them a wage to make it worth their while and then everyone is happy and the music is better.

Sorry, but far too many average, or just plain crap DJs on the rosters IMO.

UK_IV_sheep_culling.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Butch, he should have more. Never long enough sets either. Get rid of the weaker DJs and give longer sets to the better DJs. :thumbsup:

:D The one hour per DJ needs to be a thing of the past. Why make a line up chocka with a pile of DJs when the better one or two in any given line up can play (and probably already have played at some time) what the others will play. Too many favours and nepotism on the scene if you ask me.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Never mind 10 DJs a night all getting paid their petrol money. Have a couple of quality professional warm up DJs, probably residents, and then one of the very few really good DJs on for 3 hours. Pay them a wage to make it worth their while and then everyone is happy and the music is better.

So How Do You Feel About DJs Playing Pressings And CDs ? :thumbsup::D:yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

:thumbsup: The one hour per DJ needs to be a thing of the past. Why make a line up chocka with a pile of DJs when the better one or two in any given line up can play (and probably already have played at some time) what the others will play. Too many favours and nepotism on the scene if you ask me.

Oh yes :D

I only have as many DJs on the line up for Soul Revolution as I do because it is the launch party. After the launch it'll be fewer DJs, longer sets, with the DJs given the space to explore and push their play box.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Some nice enough tunes but it's a fairly similar looking playlist to a lot you see listed up on here & in my oppinion we need more djs with a bit of imagination rather than even more djs playing the same old stuff.

Simon

In defence of Steve (who is, if I may say so, a damn good DJ) there's (obviously) a balance that you need to strike between playing the familiar in order to generate initial action and get folk off their seats and playing the 'lesser known' in order to make the lesser know become tomorrow's familiar, which then become the tunes that get folk off their seats. Of course the problem is that you can't always judge what an individual may deem 'familiar'. One man's (or woman's) familiar is another's 'obscure'. It's all well and good theorising on paper (or in cyberspace) about what should or shouldn't be played but playing a set in order to have people applauding your 'forward thinking' selection on a message board whilst the same set (good as it may be) killed the atmosphere at the business end of things (the do in question) surely isn't the sign of a good DJ. In an ideal world people (some people) into 60's soul music would be into the music enough to be into 60's (and 70's) soul music that they may not have heard yet, not just a certain amount of 60's soul songs. That's where (we) as punters also need a bit of imagination.

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Guest toffee lady

Paul Harris

Always does a great spot, has a brilliant rare collection and plays tunes from £5 never played to the 'Big Ones'. Should be doing more spots!

Social source share

If there were not so many shite DJs getting me angry and worked up I wouldn't have any inclination to DJ :yes:

Never mind more DJs, how about clearing out the dead wood first...

amen to that :thumbsup: you can list the order of some peoples sets cos they play the same stuff in the same order..< yawn >.......its not giving up and coming dj's a chance by having the same ole dj's playing the same ole stuff..ive seen some stunningly talented dj's flop because the crowd are not up for it...or dont know it...i spose you need a happy medium but dang its soooooooooo tedious sometimes :angry: ...gimme one of those alternative rooms anyday where no one gives a stuff about the dancefloor they just wanna hear quality music...

cookie :D

Social source share

Still, no one apart from me has mention anyone outside the UK. Does this mean you don't rate anyone who is note from these shores. Or is it because you never travel outside the UK, cuz 'The UK has the best soul events'. :thumbsup:

Like James I think this one hour thing should change, we will be giving everyone at least 80min sets at Soulshakers International and some 90mins.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Still, no one apart from me has mention anyone outside the UK. Does this mean you don't rate anyone who is note from these shores. Or is it because you never travel outside the UK, cuz 'The UK has the best soul events'. :thumbsup:

Like James I think this one hour thing should change, we will be giving everyone at least 80min sets at Soulshakers International and some 90mins.

Dave

i cant really comment never having been abroad souling....but the dj from abroad for me would have to be lars he did some stunning sets a few years back when i saw him in rhyl at the weekender.... :D

cookie :yes:

Social source share

Andy Faulkner - was resident at These Old Shoes for the last couple of months...a dark horse :yes:

Peter Jay - superb dj and lovely bloke :thumbsup:

Nick Hackett - knows his onions.... :)

Jo

The cheques in the post Jo :D

Does anyone know how Andy is, haven't seen him for ages?

Brett Franklin should get more bookings, imo. :D

Fine thanks, just not getting out as much as I used to :(

I've seen him very recently. Still ugly but now a clumsy f*cker as well :thumbsup:

Hello Andy wink.gif

:P:P:P

:thumbsup:

Top man is Andy, great dj & West Ham fan, doesn't get a lot better than that imo!

Simon :D

:yes:

Social source share

Paul Harris

Always does a great spot, has a brilliant rare collection and plays tunes from £5 never played to the 'Big Ones'. Should be doing more spots!

Very True, Excelent tunes, pluss i think he 'should be made to do the later spot's ' as he likes to get on erly , and get it over with, then he' can relax :D:thumbsup: , and Anuther Top class DJ'/Collecter is Cliff Clamfiled

Social source share

i cant really comment never having been abroad souling....but the dj from abroad for me would have to be lars he did some stunning sets a few years back when i saw him in rhyl at the weekender.... :thumbsup:

cookie :thumbsup:

And theres my point. They come over here as punters to many of our events, book loads of UK dj's for there's. Many of them are great DJ's but we hardly ever do promoters bring them over here, and apart from the same faces, few from the UK travel their events. In many cases you can do a european event cheaper than a UK one, all in.

Social source share

And theres my point. They come over here as punters to many of our events, book loads of UK dj's for there's. Many of them are great DJ's but we hardly ever do promoters bring them over here, and apart from the same faces, few from the UK travel their events. In many cases you can do a european event cheaper than a UK one, all in.

You'll find one of the better European modern DJs at the next Walsall Soul Underground event on 10th Feb. Thierry Boulanger. Top 'homme' all round. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dave

Blimey! what happens if you need to go to the loo?

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

:thumbsup: The one hour per DJ needs to be a thing of the past. Why make a line up chocka with a pile of DJs when the better one or two in any given line up can play (and probably already have played at some time) what the others will play. Too many favours and nepotism on the scene if you ask me.

i only ever book dj's i like and respect some of them also happen to be good freinds, i suppose that could be classed has nepotism :thumbsup:

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Chris Morgan...

Ok, ok ok, I've never listened him DJing but it's a top bloke ( :thumbsup: ) with a great taste :thumbsup:

CHeers

Dante

i've listend to him, superb :thumbsup: (looking forward to his spot at middleton saturday :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

Dave

Interesting.

Speaking for myself Soul Underground ,although quality ,is a very small 'standalone' venue struggling to survive in a fiercely competitive market with new gigs springing up all the time and a decreasing amout of clientele to go around ,as much as I would love to be able to book more European DJ's (although I have invited Thierry over on a number of occasions and I have Frank from Cologne coming over in August) the venue doesn't make any money so the expense to be able to do so has to come from my own pocket hence it doesn't happen as often as I would like .

As for longer sets , I think its a fair comment though in experience even 60 minutes can seem like a lifetime to a promoter on occasions when things don't quite go shall we say " how you expect" .

Lin Taylor

www.myspace.com/soul_underground

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

As for longer sets , I think its a fair comment though in experience even 60 minutes can seem like a lifetime to a promoter on occasions when things don't quite go shall we say " how you expect" .

can also seem like a life time for punters :thumbsup:

Social source share

Oh yes :thumbsup:

I only have as many DJs on the line up for Soul Revolution as I do because it is the launch party. After the launch it'll be fewer DJs, longer sets, with the DJs given the space to explore and push their play box.

Here, here to the 90 min set, long overdue, the few bookings i do these days i offer a 90 min option which i adore doing, i did almost two hours at 'The Attic' in Mansfield back in November last year and it was a blast, us true professionals can hack it i feel...lol, the half hour, 45 min set is a waste of time as you can't develop a spot, you just get into the right groove and it's all over, well done boys, James, Dave etc. for creating the longer sets, i'm sure the DJ's you book will benifit as DJ's and of course the gigs will be perhaps far more cohesive in terms of digging deep in the boxes and taking the crowds on a journey, building it up, taking it to the bridge and then well just doing it basically, fantastic news and i hope this is the start of longer sets to come nationwide.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Interesting.

Speaking for myself Soul Underground ,although quality ,is a very small 'standalone' venue struggling to survive in a fiercely competitive market with new gigs springing up all the time and a decreasing amout of clientele to go around ,as much as I would love to be able to book more European DJ's (although I have invited Thierry over on a number of occasions and I have Frank from Cologne coming over in August) the venue doesn't make any money so the expense to be able to do so has to come from my own pocket hence it doesn't happen as often as I would like .

Lin Taylor

Hi Lynn

Your right not every promoter can do it, but their are alot of big venues that could. Infact concidering the size of your event you have been more adventurous than most, good on you girl. As for set lengths, I've watch you dj a fair few times doing just an hour set, and just as you and the crowd are having a good time your set is over. Now you do sometimes have a set that doesn't work for yourself or a DJ you have booked, happen to me a few times, but don't set the norm, base on the minority. Be positive, good DJ loves to do longer sets and deserve to.

Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

Hi Lynn

Your right not every promoter can do it, but their are alot of big venues that could. Infact concidering the size of your event you have been more adventurous than most, good on you girl. As for set lengths, I've watch you dj a fair few times doing just an hour set, and just as you and the crowd are having a good time your set is over. Now you do sometimes have a set that doesn't work for yourself or a DJ you have booked, happen to me a few times, but don't set the norm, base on the minority. Be positive, good DJ loves to do longer sets and deserve to.

"Be positive "?!?! Sorry ,I didnt think I had been negative , if you read my post I said that things didn't work out " on occasions"

There have been around 80 guest DJ's at Soul Underground over the years and its only a handful of times I've been disappointed.

I have actually never ever set the norm based on the minority ,I would hope experience prevails there, and actually the regular DJ's have always been given longer sets.

Soul Underground has been pretty groundbreaking and the venue is renowned for taking risks not just musically but for showcasing a diversity of line-ups and allowing DJ's to "stretch themselves " timewise.

thanks and apologies for going slightly off topic and for hi-jacking someone thread in order to respond.

Lin

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Longer sets sound fine in principle but there's loads of good DJ not getting spots now, longer spots fine if you can mix the DJ's up, but my guess is that the chosen few will just eventually take these up. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Her's an idea for Mike and Soul Source.................. :thumbsup:

Why not set up a DJ Directory...... a listing of dj's,their playlists,music styles,availability,distance covered and their contact details etc.

Perhaps this would help all dj's,up an'coming and well established and aid promoters...watcha think,not sure whether this should be a seperate thread?

Social source share

Her's an idea for Mike and Soul Source.................. :thumbsup:

Why not set up a DJ Directory...... a listing of dj's,their playlists,music styles,availability,distance covered and their contact details etc.

Perhaps this would help all dj's,up an'coming and well established and aid promoters...watcha think,not sure whether this should be a seperate thread?

Thought it for years, 'The National Rare Soul DJ Union'....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

"Be positive "?!?! Sorry ,I didnt think I had been negative , if you read my post I said that things didn't work out " on occasions"

There have been around 80 guest DJ's at Soul Underground over the years and its only a handful of times I've been disappointed.

I have actually never ever set the norm based on the minority ,I would hope experience prevails there, and actually the regular DJ's have always been given longer sets.

Soul Underground has been pretty groundbreaking and the venue is renowned for taking risks not just musically but for showcasing a diversity of line-ups and allowing DJ's to "stretch themselves " timewise.

thanks and apologies for going slightly off topic and for hi-jacking someone thread in order to respond.

Lin

Hi Lynn

Sorry poorly writen by me. As you will see in my post I said you have been one of the more adventurous, with Soul Underground. In fact I agree Soul Underground is a trail blazer in so many way. The Comment about being positive was meant as a more general comment, not aim at you. I have nothing but admiration for what you do.

Dave

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

UK_IV_sheep_culling.jpg

yes.gif spot on :thumbsup: , there are quite a few crap dj's about, theres also quite a few smart arse dj's who play for them selves,

f*** the paying punters what do they know, i'm glad to say we've never had any of those toss pots at our doo's :shades:

rant over :lol: far to much negative shit going on lately

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Thought it for years, 'The National Rare Soul DJ Union'....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

imagine if they all went on strike, better wages, working condition etc, what would every do on the week end :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

just thought of a few more

Paul Mckay :thumbsup:

Matt from Trowbridge :shades:

Andy Hitchins thumbsup.gif

Meg :lol:

kev Baynham :lol:

Nick Hackett :lol:

Dr Pickles :thumbsup:

Mischief :thumbsup:

all top notch in my humble opinion

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Great spot that nite mark and with only one deck lol,im normally a under played 6ts man myself, but 'tats taylor' did a cracking across the board spot at the" attic "as well in january.With record collection Steve L is gathering it wont be to long before hes a recomended dj :thumbsup: .

Here, here to the 90 min set, long overdue, the few bookings i do these days i offer a 90 min option which i adore doing, i did almost two hours at 'The Attic' in Mansfield back in November last year and it was a blast, us true professionals can hack it i feel...lol, the half hour, 45 min set is a waste of time as you can't develop a spot, you just get into the right groove and it's all over, well done boys, James, Dave etc. for creating the longer sets, i'm sure the DJ's you book will benifit as DJ's and of course the gigs will be perhaps far more cohesive in terms of digging deep in the boxes and taking the crowds on a journey, building it up, taking it to the bridge and then well just doing it basically, fantastic news and i hope this is the start of longer sets to come nationwide.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Blimey! what happens if you need to go to the loo?

Simon :shades:

In portugal myself and the other guest DJs play 3 or 4 hour sets, I piss in a pot, I think that's pretty normal outside the northern scene. You'll usually see Keb filling a pint glass at Madame Jo Jo's every Friday and Saturday night. I think 45 minute sets are pretty unique to the northern scene, and in my opinion a bit of a problem that needs addressing :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

In portugal myself and the other guest DJs play 3 or 4 hour sets, I piss in a pot, I think that's pretty normal outside the northern scene. You'll usually see Keb filling a pint glass at Madame Jo Jo's every Friday and Saturday night. I think 45 minute sets are pretty unique to the northern scene, and in my opinion a bit of a problem that needs addressing :shades:

i've heard quite a few blinding half hour spots :thumbsup: also heard Carl Willingham play absolute cracker of a set for about 4 hours at the big lock once (not many dj's that could do that long of a set and still keep every one interested and enthusiastic)

Social source share

I sort of agree with Marks idea, but tend to give DJs 2 spots at Bidds Allnighters - a primetime 45 minute spot, and another 30 - 45 minute spot either early doors or early morning (depending on how many DJs I book)

That way all DJs get a good bite of the cherry, instead of the primetime 4 hour slot being taken up by 3 or 4 DJs.

As pointed out, if a DJ is having an 'off' spot (and it can happen to the best DJs on the scene, no matter what they tell you) for whatever reasons, 90 minutes is a hell of a long time to wait for a new face behind the decks....

Also tends to mix the genres up better.....

Also keeps the DJ bill down :shades:

Make the buggers earn their coin..that's what I say :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert