Joan Baker - everybody's talking (diamond)

Ljblanken

• 2 years later...

Old thread, but I was just listening to this 45, absolutely love it, so as you do, I typed in 'Who was Joan Baker'? 

Did not find much at all, there is an American voice over artist called Joan Baker, she was born in 1960 according to Wikipedia, so that’s not our Joan. As Chalky stated above, Discogs has Jo-An Baker linked to Joan Baker, and I'd agree that sounds like the same singer to my ears, I like that record allot...

Are the Belgianettes the same group as recorded 'The Train' on Okeh? there seems to be two very similar spellings on the group, certainly seems to be Chicago connections as they appear on the 'Cheers' label, out of NY, but the song, 'You Gotta Pay' is penned by Curtis Mayfield, still a Bit tenuous... be great if anybody could wade in here, I'd love to find out more about Joan Baker.

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

The only thing I can add, as per a comment on my upload on YouTube (linked above), is that she passed away in 1998.

In a previous incarnation of my YouTube channel (Harveysoulfinger) - which I stupidly deleted accidentally because of conflicts about which Google accounts were active and which weren't - (and after which I re-uploaded most of my stream) - I recall comments then stating she went to NY to seek a singing career, but that it didn't work out. That was from a family member - as are the couple of limited comments on my existing channel.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

That’s interesting, I guess we could surmise she may have been a Chicago resident, or from somewhere in Michigan, who gravitated there, and then made the move to NY?  just conjecture isnt it.

Only bit of other info I have on her, is 'Everybody's Talkin' was a Former Jim Wensiora and Keb Darge spin, I guess at Stafford.  The writers of 'Everybody's Talkin' were Roberts Staunton and Robert Walker, Discogs has them writing and arranging a good few Chicago artists, The Dells, The Artistics, in 64/65 then it seems they got involved in Motown, namely the Monitors and Brenda Holloway in 1965, and they penned and produced 'The Hit Pack – Never Say No To Your Baby' no mean fete!   all that a year after Joan cut 'Everybody's Talkin'.  Robert Stanton wrote solo for Betty Everett also, so he was working in and around Chicago allot I guess...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/690350-Robert-Staunton-And-Robert-Walker

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

That’s interesting, I guess we could surmise she may have been a Chicago resident, or from somewhere in Michigan, who gravitated there, and then made the move to NY?  just conjecture isnt it

https://www.discogs.com/artist/690350-Robert-Staunton-And-Robert-Walker

If you look on you tube, there is a post from her daughter who says Joan was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think she could be Joan Baker Young( married name, although divorced). She was originally from Kenosha, Wisconsin. IF so ( I have no way of connecting her to the 45 record or its credits) this Joan Baker was in shows, became a night club “belter”( voice wise), and pretty much left music behind to raise a family ( son & daughter). 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Chalky said:

Think Jimmy sold Keb a spare as it was in 85 when Keb was playing it at Stafford

May be Keb sold the original one he had because I distinctly remember being in Kev's shop when Jim told me what he had sold to Keb and that was one of them along with J D Bryant and Carios 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Rob Wigley said:

Rob Marriott had this early doors too, I assumed his was Jim's  copy, however he may have got it via Keb.

Always liked it and still have a copy. I see Jordan Wilson is playing it as it's been listed in several of his recent sets.

A great record

Rob

Sure Rob's was Jimmy's copy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Chalky said:

It was definitely before 88, he had JD Bryant in 86 and as said was playing Joan Baker in 85.  He retired from Northern in 87 so sold up by 88.

Play list from 1986

387698_10150461799204541_1593550159_n.jpg.734958048604627dbf603417dfba8e63.jpg

Great and interesting playlist thanks Chalky 

Slightly off topic but were all those that say unissued actually real names and unissued?

Also was Tempos 'Come back baby' c/up Stoppers on Jubilee?

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Great and interesting playlist thanks Chalky 

Slightly off topic but were all those that say unissued actually real names and unissued?

Also was Tempos 'Come back baby' c/up Stoppers on Jubilee?

Most of the unissued weee acetates, odd cut from Kent I think. Real names most of them but I’d have to check to be sure. 

Tempos was the Debonaires on Soul Click 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!