The Birch Ashton U Lyne

Iancsloft

Blimey heard last nite at the Greatstone from Chris Churm that they

knocked the legendary venue down yesterday gggrrrrrrrrr

What a place to find rare 45,s at next to nothin Houston Outlaws--Aint no tellin 50p

off Mr Churm he he.. Brand New Faces £20 yes !!! Purple Mundi ,Rufus Lumley Stateside demo,

ect ect ect all for next to nothing, without doubt the Thursday nite soul venue run by Tommy Smith

of Beatin Rythm fame was a top venue in its day i use to love guesting there because it was a venue similar to the Wilton / Greatstone that allowed you to play 45,s that you rarely got chance to play at other venues great venue, great people, made many new friends there and the beer if i was,nt driving god how my head use to hurt the mornin after it was a good job i worked nites :thumbsup:

The Birch r.i.p...Thanks for the Memories..Ian C

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I only went to about 4 of these nights as I wasn't living in Manchester at the time they were on but really had a great time there. I used to go and stay with Anita in Oldham for the weekend and tried booked the friday off work so we could get down there (hence only went 4 times - had a cow for a boss :angry: ). Really great tunes played and lovely people ..

Social source share

Blimey heard last nite at the Greatstone from Chris Churm that they

knocked the legendary venue down yesterday gggrrrrrrrrr

What a place to find rare 45,s at next to nothin Houston Outlaws--Aint no tellin 50p

off Mr Churm he he.. Brand New Faces £20 yes !!! Purple Mundi ,Rufus Lumley Stateside demo,

ect ect ect all for next to nothing, without doubt the Thursday nite soul venue run by Tommy Smith

of Beatin Rythm fame was a top venue in its day i use to love guesting there because it was a venue similar to the Wilton / Greatstone that allowed you to play 45,s that you rarely got chance to play at other venues great venue, great people, made many new friends there and the beer if i was,nt driving god how my head use to hurt the mornin after it was a good job i worked nites :rolleyes:

The Birch r.i.p...Thanks for the Memories..Ian C

I had heard that the old place was going sometime last year. When I told Tom Smith he seemed to think this was not the case as it would make a perfect retirement home. Well I for one would not have minded ending my days there if they kept the cellar intact!

I arrived in Manchester in the summer of 1990 and by the October I had started working as a Clerk with Terry "Tex" Hallows. Terry was from that neck of the woods and I went to a couple of Thursday nights at the Hyde Botanical. I remember the first time I went to the Birch, there was only five of us there all night, I think it was clashing with something else at the time, I became good friends with three, Tom Smith, Derek Lawley and Tex of course. Not sure what happended to the other fellar! I think that set the precident for the next four years.

I rarely missed a week and did very little work on a Friday. Me and Terry would drink as much as possibly spend the Friday in our office playing records on a Dansette still pissed.

I guess it as a real blokes/nerds night out. It would always commence with a mini pub crawl round Ashton or darts in a nearby boozer. If I did'nt get a lift I would bung Tom a fiver to drive me back to Salford just after midnight when it finished.

I met some great people there who are friends to this day. To many to mention in fact.

The music was top notch with Tom Smith the main man for most of the night. He was a pioneer of new technology which at the time was the cd. It was Tom who first played that "Let me talk it over" by a southern soul singer I can't remember. That was an previously unreleased cd track. He played a great mix of lesser known oldies and not so well known things which got picked up by others. Purple Monday being one that springs to mind.

The Thursday before Good Friday was always a big night with Dicky Searling guesting. Whilst Richard was always top notch we resented the presence of light weights who turned out cause they had a lie in the next day.

I know Tom tried to revive it a few year back on a Saturday with my mate Chris Shepherd supporting, but it did'nt really take off. Shame, the venue was perfect and I suspect it would be a different story if it was revived today. Sadly, we won't have that oppotunity. Progress!

Regards Alan

PS It also had a table football machine

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinylvixen

I had heard that the old place was going sometime last year. When I told Tom Smith he seemed to think this was not the case as it would make a perfect retirement home. Well I for one would not have minded ending my days there if they kept the cellar intact!

I arrived in Manchester in the summer of 1990 and by the October I had started working as a Clerk with Terry "Tex" Hallows. Terry was from that neck of the woods and I went to a couple of Thursday nights at the Hyde Botanical. I remember the first time I went to the Birch, there was only five of us there all night, I think it was clashing with something else at the time, I became good friends with three, Tom Smith, Derek Lawley and Tex of course. Not sure what happended to the other fellar! I think that set the precident for the next four years.

I rarely missed a week and did very little work on a Friday. Me and Terry would drink as much as possibly spend the Friday in our office playing records on a Dansette still pissed.

I guess it as a real blokes/nerds night out. It would always commence with a mini pub crawl round Ashton or darts in a nearby boozer. If I did'nt get a lift I would bung Tom a fiver to drive me back to Salford just after midnight when it finished.

I met some great people there who are friends to this day. To many to mention in fact.

The music was top notch with Tom Smith the main man for most of the night. He was a pioneer of new technology which at the time was the cd. It was Tom who first played that "Let me talk it over" by a southern soul singer I can't remember. That was an previously unreleased cd track. He played a great mix of lesser known oldies and not so well known things which got picked up by others. Purple Monday being one that springs to mind.

The Thursday before Good Friday was always a big night with Dicky Searling guesting. Whilst Richard was always top notch we resented the presence of light weights who turned out cause they had a lie in the next day.

I know Tom tried to revive it a few year back on a Saturday with my mate Chris Shepherd supporting, but it did'nt really take off. Shame, the venue was perfect and I suspect it would be a different story if it was revived today. Sadly, we won't have that oppotunity. Progress!

Regards Alan

Tom had the decency to invite The These Old Shoes All Stars to guest at the Birch the day before we went on Richard's show....and I think I speak for Martin T and Paul TP as well....we had a brilliant time thumbsup.gif I was hoping for an invite back but if it's going to be knocked down, I'll just have to savour the memory. Best wishes to all who helped make The Birch nights special. Jo

Social source share

The manager of the Birch banded poor old Robbo for for bringin in his own booze..he he whistling.gif

Yes those Thurs nites before Good Fri when Dickie Searling use to play i remember guesting

with Richard one of those nites and drinkin 13 bottles of Diamond White i think i was a

little tipsy :thumbsup:

Social source share

The manager of the Birch banded poor old Robbo for for bringin in his own booze..he he whistling.gif

Yes those Thurs nites before Good Fri when Dickie Searling use to play i remember guesting

with Richard one of those nites and drinkin 13 bottles of Diamond White i think i was a

little tipsy :thumbsup:

DJ'd there towards the end of it's lifespan,tom always encouraged you to play something different,jim barry was co-promoting it with him at the time,had a great time,well apart from the man city fan,much the worse for drink, who'd wandered in from upstairs,kept asking me to play"some sexy music" :fool:
Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest earlvandykes

I only went to about 4 of these nights as I wasn't living in Manchester at the time they were on but really had a great time there. I used to go and stay with Anita in Oldham for the weekend and tried booked the friday off work so we could get down there (hence only went 4 times - had a cow for a boss :angry: ). Really great tunes played and lovely people ..

Was looking at several photos last week ,taken in the Birch , in the line up :- Jill & Richard Hillel - Pat Knowlan - Dennis Billington - Judy Moss - Stewart -Keeny- Kim & Dave Malloy- Greg- Julie etc . It was a great Thursday Nite Pre-start to the Week End. I hear Anita has a big birthday in the offering? And I still have records purchased off Yourself ! "Kim Weston-Demo/ just the kind of guy" "Barbara Lewis- Moods of LP / Enterprise" I recall Chris Churm claimed "Lay this burden Down-Stateside & I`m in your arms -Mary Love . Seen Mr Cunliffe DJ there ,Think he might have been sober at the time!!! ( My First Posting ) Is it Crap ?

Social source share

Guest earlvandykes

Tom had the decency to invite The These Old Shoes All Stars to guest at the Birch the day before we went on Richard's show....and I think I speak for Martin T and Paul TP as well....we had a brilliant time thumbsup.gif I was hoping for an invite back but if it's going to be knocked down, I'll just have to savour the memory. Best wishes to all who helped make The Birch nights special. Jo

Jo and co ( These Old Shoes) Made that night Memorable " Outstanding / Un-Played Acetates" for Dancer and Collectors Alike!

Social source share

Guest earlvandykes

Regards Alan

Tricky Dicky , allways pulled a crowd in At the "Birch Cellar Bar" ! I recall yourself and Chris Shep` Dj ing at the "Temple of Connvience" For Billy Ball & His So So Soulfull mate Rob < So Sad to Losse Him >, Allways a packer ? A great Crossover nite ( Great warm up for the Niter)Allways got a plug from R.S

Social source share

Guest earlvandykes

Tricky Dicky , allways pulled a crowd in At the "Birch Cellar Bar" ! I recall yourself and Chris Shep` Dj ing at the "Temple of Connvience" For Billy Ball & His So So Soulfull mate Rob < So Sad to Losse Him >, Allways a packer ? A great Crossover nite ( Great warm up for the Niter)Allways got a plug from R.S

Forgot to mention , Tex Hallows can be found down at the "twisted Wheel" nights, regular as clockwork ! I first Met Him there around 67 He Worked in town and would search for Records every Dinner time- Finding Many unknown (Now Classic 60`s) cuts.

Social source share

We used to live on Hindley Street just off the Manchester Road which was about a ten minute walk from the Birch so when we moved to Ashton around 1991 it soon became a regular Thursday night out for me, DJ'd there a few times which was alway's enjoyable, a good place to talk records with decent people and not far to stagger home after a skinfull.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

We used to live on Hindley Street just off the Manchester Road which was about a ten minute walk from the Birch so when we moved to Ashton around 1991 it soon became a regular Thursday night out for me, DJ'd there a few times which was alway's enjoyable, a good place to talk records with decent people and not far to stagger home after a skinfull.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yup it certainly was mate :sleep3:

Mick

Edited by Mick Howard
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert