• Replies 98
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

b8db_1_b.JPG

The lettering on the title and artist are a tad darker than the colouring on the lettering of the logo , not to say a different font style than was usually used on stax releases ...... surely not ?

What's the label number ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

All has become quite clear!

I have a recent blue stax boot of Booker T & Mgs - Groovin'... sent from a pal in London who's a funk collector and sent me this as he found a few for nowt. So it looks like blue Stax are getting the snide treatment.

On the other hand, someone mentioned to me that Stax where officially starting up again and re-releasing some gems, have you heard this Pete?

Social source share

Hi Pete ...

I sent my post before seeing your reply stating where the 45 was from ....

As I stated , The font style and depth of colour are different from what was used on releases .

If they are going to do it , at least get it right and make it look good ....

I would like to see what what label he / she / them / it has put the other side - " Loving By

The Pound " on .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hi Pete ...

I sent my post before seeing your reply staing where the 45 was from ....

As I stated , The font style and depth of colour are different from what was used on releases .

I would like to see what what label he / she / them / it has put the other side - " Loving By

The Pound " on .....

Malc Burton

I agree a recent pressing

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

There's been a few sellers on EBAY selling these - Popped up at the same time as this one too -

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTHERN-SOUL-BOBBY-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Without starting that whole thread again, but ( Oh, amnesia has struck or some(one)thing like that :angry:

ATB

Rich

Same Seller Selling These ,Sacriledge Is The Only Word For It ,No Way Should Anyone Be Allowed To Do

Such A Thing :angry:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTHERN-SOUL-LES-CH...1QQcmdZViewItem

Social source share

Fair enough - but doesn't that answer the question? The recent popularity of the Taylor disc looks to me that this a boot/cash in. As with all these pressings if they're legal then a post on here from the source would surely garner more interest. Same old story IMHO.

Rich

Agree, especially as the Otis Redding isn't available anywhere on vinyl? Am I right? Or is that on a vinyl l.p somewhere?

Social source share

No I didn't, I don't know who even distributes them now! Certainly a label with a confusing history

=====

The recent John Gary Williams / Sandra Wright Stax re-issue ( I think) was of German origin and legit as far as I know - thru Fantasy/Ace owned? Concord Records have the rights now to the name not sure about the catalogue. But yes, a minefield of ownership over the years.

Rich

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Are'nt these Shrine UK thingies ok though? I thought Goldmine were behind them?

I Dont Doubt They Are Mate But They Are Cheep And Tacky ,The Only Way Id Get My Hands On A Les Channsonettes Or A Shirley Edwards Is If My 6 Numbers Come Up ,I Wouldnt Consider Buying One Of These Horrible Things .

Social source share

Agree, especially as the Otis Redding isn't available anywhere on vinyl? Am I right? Or is that on a vinyl l.p somewhere?

" LBTP " is available on a Kent CD - " Do The Crossover Baby " .

I saw a list a while ago offering an acetate of " LBTP " for the pricely price of £ 50 .

Malc Burton

Social source share

The whole thing is rife on ebay just now - and it's not just soul 45s. Check these British "reissues" I'd be suprised if they were properly licensed. Just more proof that even major labels aren't really concerned about small scale stuff like boots of obscure singles I guess.

post-1918-1169397703_thumb.jpg

post-1918-1169397687_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397713_thumb.jpg

post-1918-1169397741_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397731_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397722_thumb.jpg

post-1918-1169397817_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397806_thumb.jpg

Godz

post-1918-1169397752_thumb.jpg

post-1918-1169398824_thumb.jpg

Social source share

It came out on a British LP called "It's Not Just Sentimental"

Released on CD and Vinyl at the same time (early 1990s).

:thumbsup: and it has another version of LBTP that's not very good IMHO called Lbs + 100s. Released by Ace in 1991

According to the sleeve notes Solomon Burke had cut an unreleased version of LBTP

Edited by richard
Social source share

Apparently 'Loving By The Pound' came out on legitimate South African vinyl LP

Available on the Lp

Otis Redding - "It's Not Just Sentimental" - Stax SXD 041

The Unheard Otis 14 Never Before Released Titles

Released by Ace Records in 1992

My copies made in France.

soulmac.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Apparently 'Loving By The Pound' came out on legitimate South African vinyl LP

Where'd you get that info from, Dave - cos it's not right. LBTP had never been issued anywhere until mine and Ady's boss at Ace, Roger Armstrong, found the mastertapes while auditing the unissued Otis tapes that belonged to Fantasy, rather than to Atlantic.

The only legitimate vinyl issue of LBTP is any that has come out in the wake of Roger's discovery of the tapes. None of these were in SA to my knowledge, but I'll ask Roger if he knows differently. In any event it would not have been issued as 'Loving By The Pound' until Roger discovered it, as the title written on the tape box was something completely different, and it was only his detective work that led to the real title being uncovered....

TONE

Social source share

The whole thing is rife on ebay just now - and it's not just soul 45s. Check these British "reissues" I'd be suprised if they were properly licensed. Just more proof that even major labels aren't really concerned about small scale stuff like boots of obscure singles I guess.

Godz

I've got all those Paul, excellent series of 45's, you would be completely amazed if I told you who was behind these. They were pressed in Yugoslavia or Chekoslovakia (sp.) I don't think the majors who owned these\at the time give much of a toss. Things like the 45's on Pye and Piccadilly, well put it this way, Sanctuary own those and they know full well who did them but it appears they can't be bothered

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Whilest we are on the subject of things that make you go "Huh", what's the oppion on this one

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTHERN-SOUL-LINDA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

...Wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw me, let alone it! You'd have thought that, if nothing else, Motown would have known how to correctly spell the name of their publsihing company, wouldn't you?

TONE

Social source share

Where'd you get that info from, Dave - cos it's not right. LBTP had never been issued anywhere until mine and Ady's boss at Ace, Roger Armstrong, found the mastertapes while auditing the unissued Otis tapes that belonged to Fantasy, rather than to Atlantic.

The only legitimate vinyl issue of LBTP is any that has come out in the wake of Roger's discovery of the tapes. None of these were in SA to my knowledge, but I'll ask Roger if he knows differently. In any event it would not have been issued as 'Loving By The Pound' until Roger discovered it, as the title written on the tape box was something completely different, and it was only his detective work that led to the real title being uncovered....

TONE

I'm sure that Denny, who's originally from Warrington, and now in Oz, found a copy when he lived in SA. It would have been after Roger found the tapes. Mind you given my memory it might not be this track at all :wicked:

Social source share

I've got all those Paul, excellent series of 45's, you would be completely amazed if I told you who was behind these. They were pressed in Yugoslavia or Chekoslovakia (sp.) I don't think the majors who owned these\at the time give much of a toss. Things like the 45's on Pye and Piccadilly, well put it this way, Sanctuary own those and they know full well who did them but it appears they can't be bothered

Surely it's not a matter of not being bothered....it's more a matter of not worth it financially ? To take something like that through the court system costs time and money, and the costs don't justify the money lost through what is relatively small scale bootlegging surely. Plus, the chances are that if you seriously go after someone like that they just close the company down and move on, or are a small individual and to sue them would be worthless.

Lets face it, in reality, booting what are small interest 45's is hardly going to be too big a concern to someone like Universal who own the Motown catalogue. If someone makes a 'fake' acetate and flogs it for forty quid, they realy can't do too much. It's more a moral thing, self policing and all that. If individuals feel so strongly, then the simple thing is don't buy them as some are saying here..but the moral high ground is difficult to take when the routine bootlegging via CDR's and mp3's is taking place all the time. Because that's actually technically what it is.

Remember the whole 'home taping is killing music ' thing? They realised it was a losing battle so... if you can't beat 'em join 'em..so the big music companies just regrouped and CBS/Sony (for instance) sewed it all up by owning both the music itself and the means of copying it. Simple really. The fact that most people here only recognise a round record looking thing as not legit doesn't make all the other stuff legit.

The new area of all this must be moving images..how on earth is it possible to post up things with clear copyright and ownership on 'Youtube'? Because the small companies who own those images can't stop it basically. Look at all the limited interest music footage that's appeared. Someone actually legally owns that.

But the fact is it's all changed and it's too late to stop it. Anything is reproducable now and the man on the street can do it easily and cheaply and it's being done over and over again.

It's all about demand and supply...no demand and the supply stops, quite simple.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

post-1918-1169397703_thumb.jpg

post-1918-1169397687_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397713_thumb.jpg

post-1918-1169397741_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397731_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397722_thumb.jpg

post-1918-1169397817_thumb.jpgpost-1918-1169397806_thumb.jpg

Godz

It's all down to cash, if the label ain't going to make any money on a few 100 copies of a re-issue then someone will always take advantage of the situation. It don't take anything from the original, and it actually don't take anything from the artist either as they wouldn't have got a legal re-issue anyway so they haven't lost any money they weren't getting in the first place. On odd occassions the boot stirs the majors to actually re-issue the item properly. Until majors have there finger on what's happening within a particular scene they will always be beaten to the punch, and if they did, we would still be moaning that every tune that became popular was legally re-issued. Why do we keep discussing something we haven't been able to control in the past, now or in the future. sleep3.gifwicked.gif:wicked::D

Social source share

Yeah you're both right. I wasn't making a moral statement of any kind, just an observation about the fact that you can more or less do it with impunity at the moment.

To be honest I quite fancy the Herbie Goins one as it's not the sort of thing I'd spend big dosh on but wouldn't mind a copy on vinyl :unsure:

Godz

Social source share

Guest edsuede

:unsure: Hi all, as a new entrant to all this forum business (though not new to the soul scene), I thought I'd like to add my thoughts to this topic.

I don't know whether this is a legit re-issue or not, and frankly, I don't care. This is one of many records I've been dancing to and trying to get for a while - time, money and availability have until recently been against me.

I saw a copy of this at Brid Scooter Rally, paid £6 - mint record, no scratches or crackles, result! Guess an original (if I could find one) might of cost me in excess of £100, so I now have more money left to spend on getting more sounds. Furthermore, I've DJ'd my copy several times since I got it, allowing others to enjoy a record they might not otherwise hear unless they went to a major venue!

If the major labels aren't interested in re-issuing the tracks that people want then of course, others will fill the gap. I've no problem with it as long as the re-issue/pressing/boot isn't passed off as an original.

Course, there's always the argument that the original owners of the recording lose out. But how much does the original artist, publisher get when someone buys a second hand original? I'd also bet that there's not a single collector or DJ on the scene who hasn't bought at least one pressing/boot in their time!

Corny, I know, but for me, it's what's in the grooves that count, not what's on the label!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Corny, I know, but for me, it's what's in the grooves that count, not what's on the label!

This raises a view questions...

You say you were trying to get it for a while, but if the label doesn't matter why didn't you just get it pressed up off a CD and DJ with your vinyl carver job?

Why did you wait until you found the bootleg?

Come to think of it if you don't agree with Original Vinyl Only why don't you just DJ with CDs? :unsure:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Czechoslovakia I believe Pete. In fact seperated into the Czech Replublic and Slovakia since the early 90s. You're obviously not a great Eurovision fan :unsure:

I'm intrigued by what you say about who's producing these and the story behind the Pye thing. Please expand - by PM if you'd prefer.

I'm trying to think who might be the most unlikely person to do these and I can't do better than Swampy the protester...

Godz

Social source share

Guest edsuede

This raises a view questions...

You say you were trying to get it for a while, but if the label doesn't matter why didn't you just get it pressed up off a CD and DJ with your vinyl carver job?

Why did you wait until you found the bootleg?

Come to think of it if you don't agree with Original Vinyl Only why don't you just DJ with CDs? :yes:

:unsure: Hi Matt

To answer your questions;

I haven't got a vinyl carver and I don't know anyone with one. In any case, is this track available on CD? If I could've got one done, then yes, would have no problems at all DJing with a ''vinyl carver job'.

To answer your other point, if people want to DJ with CDs - their choice and no problem with me. However, I'm a vinyl head, have been collecting since 13 (40 this year), and for the record (pun intended), the vast majority of my vinyl is the original item. I don't buy CDs and still love the feel and 'ceremony' of playing vinyl, whether original or pressing.

Another thought...with all the new technology around these days, isn't it remarkable in itself that there are people still DJing with vinyl at all? Surely, even if people only collect originals, shouldn't they at least support vinyl in ANY form to keep the medium going?

Social source share

Czechoslovakia I believe Pete. In fact seperated into the Czech Replublic and Slovakia since the early 90s. You're obviously not a great Eurovision fan :yes:

I'm intrigued by what you say about who's producing these and the story behind the Pye thing. Please expand - by PM if you'd prefer.

I'm trying to think who might be the most unlikely person to do these and I can't do better than Swampy the protester...

Godz

I actually couldn't spell Czechoslovakia so I said Yugoslavia instead :unsure:

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Yes you do. I gave you the website address for Vinyl Carvers two weeks ago. Now go and do an intro in the new members bit. And learn to pronounce "Pama" while your at it https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40577 :D

Godz

:thumbsup: Hi Godz

Just because you gave me the email address for carvers doesn't mean that I've got one, or know someone with one yet! To tell truth, haven't even looked on the site yet so couldn't even say what they look like. In any case, I'm unlikely to get one in the near future - you know what I'm like with technology - I'm still doing C90 compilation tapes!!!

As for the Pama bit...what can I say, except that even though you're bound to be right about the pronounciation I bet you never hear a skinhead referring to his collection of 'PARMA' reggae in such posh tones!!!!

Oh, and I'll go and do an intro just to keep you happy!

Edsuede

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I saw a copy of this at Brid Scooter Rally, paid £6 - mint record, no scratches or crackles, result! Guess an original (if I could find one) might of cost me in excess of £100, so I now have more money left to spend on getting more sounds. Furthermore, I've DJ'd my copy several times since I got it, allowing others to enjoy a record they might not otherwise hear unless they went to a major venue!

If You Are Playing Cheep And Tacky Pressings You Are Not A Northern Soul DJ Mate !

Get Mick h , Butch Or Pat Brady To Do Your Soul Nights , As For CDs Why Dont You Go The Whole Hog And Plug Your MP3 Player Into The Decks ,Of Course It Matters What Label Its On RARE SOUL Thats The Whole Point .

Social source share

If You Are Playing Cheep And Tacky Pressings You Are Not A Northern Soul DJ Mate !

Get Mick h , Butch Or Pat Brady To Do Your Soul Nights , As For CDs Why Dont You Go The Whole Hog And Plug Your MP3 Player Into The Decks ,Of Course It Matters What Label Its On RARE SOUL Thats The Whole Point .

Here we go again, if he gets people dancing who gives a toss, not the dancers! Nobody's ever come up to me when I've been djing with my pressing of mel britt and told me to turn it off. They'd be wearing it if they did.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert