• Replies 32
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It wasn't a hit in the UK - possibly because it took so long to come out here (I think that the US label wanted more for it than most major UK labels wanted to pay) and it had already had the best part of its US chart run when the small Concord label issued it eventually. The cover version by Anthony Swete on UK RCA beat it onto the market by at least a month, too...

I also think that its chances of UK success were hampered by the fact that, back in 1969, not too many Brits either knew or understood what a 'Backfield' was or why it would be "In Motion", never mind about "Offside And Holding"...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

It wasn't a hit in the UK - possibly because it took so long to come out here (I think that the US label wanted more for it than most major UK labels wanted to pay) and it had already had the best part of its US chart run when the small Concord label issued it eventually. The cover version by Anthony Swete on UK RCA beat it onto the market by at least a month, too...

I also think that it's chances of UK success were hamepered by the fact that, back in 1969, not too many Brits either knew or understood what a 'Backfield' was or why it would be "In Motion", never mind about "Offside And Holding"...

TONE

That's right , not a UK chart hit , but , without digging out my old Blues and Soul's from '69/70 , I seem to remember off the top of my head that it was prominently listed in the B & S's charts of popular sounds at the time and I suspect it was a popular dance floor sound with the UK soul faithful at the Wheel etc ? Did they appear in the UK at the Wheel ? Or was it a few years later on the back of "Starting All Over Again" ?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

That's right , not a UK chart hit , but , without digging out my old Blues and Soul's from '69/70 , I seem to remember off the top of my head that it was prominently listed in the B & S's charts of popular sounds at the time and I suspect it was a popular dance floor sound with the UK soul faithful at the Wheel etc ? Did they appear in the UK at the Wheel ? Or was it a few years later on the back of "Starting All Over Again" ?

No. The Wheel had closed by the time "Starting All Over..." came out in 1973. "Backfield..." was reissued in 1971 (on multi-coloured Concord label). I saw them at The Lafayette in Wolverhampton where they performed their version of "Free For All" etc. and during the slow bits, encouraged the sparse and mixed audience to "chill out, sit on the floor and have a smoke..." (nobody seemed to know what the hell they were talking about!) They also appeared at the infamous Leeds Queens Hall allnighter in 1974.

post-4950-1169372993_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Don't know about charting but I remember owning a copy ;early 70's after hearing it at my local soul 'do' and really listening closely to the words to try and figure it out!!

Sharon

Still got mine!!! Yellow Concord label and says ' Made in England ' on it but it hasn't got the date on.

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

I collect Soul/Motown sheet music and have got a copy of this on a British printing. A bit of a strange one as I can't think of many musicians who would want to buy this, can't have sold many. The lyrics, even when you have got them in front of you are bizarre to say the least. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm sure it used to be played on Radio 1 as that was the only place I ever heard music at that time & I know the song - I thought it was re-released in the 70's as well & got onto Top of the Pops (I would like to think I can remember Pans People dressed as American Footballers, but that's probably just fantasy on my part).

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I'm sure it used to be played on Radio 1...

Yes, it probably WAS played on Radio One - several years after the initial release and too damned late to do them any good! However, Emperor Rosco played some Soul (oldies) and Reggae. On Saturdays I think. Also of course Mike Raven's R&B Show didn't end until about 1971, so he probably gave it a spin or two. I well remember hearing him play Bobbi Lynn's - "Earthquake" when it was re-issued.

Social source share

I'm quite amazed that it didn't chart in the UK. It was massive at the places I went when I was 14 in 69. I would have expected it to chart at least in the lower reaches but consulting Guiness, no it didn't. I suspect it sold enough but not through chart return shops.

Gordon

Social source share

Which reminded me of when I was doing some consulting work for Bruno Brookes's company and we got talking about records. He mentioned that he had some Motown LPs which got me interested and then he said "I've always wanted a copy of Backfield in motion on 45", So to try and get a look at the Motown LPs I got him one; mint on US Bamboo, when I give it to him he says "Oh! I actually wanted a UK issue"

Picky or what?

:unsure:

Social source share

I also think that its chances of UK success were hampered by the fact that, back in 1969, not too many Brits either knew or understood what a 'Backfield' was or why it would be "In Motion", never mind about "Offside And Holding"...

TONE

I remember hearing this at the time and thinking it was called - I know this sounds ridiculous but I was only 9 - "black feeling in motion" :unsure:

Social source share

It was a regular Wheel play circa 1969 or 1970. Never knew what 'Backfield in Motion' was all about and still don't but the 'You knows it's against the rules' line made it pretty clear that it was some kind of 'cheating' song. On the whole it was one of those nice, melodic easy- on- the nerves songs that cushioned an impending come-down at for 3 or 4 in the morning. I remember it being played in close proximity to other gentle easy listening tunes such as 'Call on Me' and 'I Dig your Act'.

Social source share

It was a regular Wheel play circa 1969 or 1970. Never knew what 'Backfield in Motion' was all about and still don't but the 'You knows it's against the rules' line made it pretty clear that it was some kind of 'cheating' song. On the whole it was one of those nice, melodic easy- on- the nerves songs that cushioned an impending come-down at for 3 or 4 in the morning. I remember it being played in close proximity to other gentle easy listening tunes such as 'Call on Me' and 'I Dig your Act'.

One of my all time faves,still get a shiver when its played out,rarely hear it now tho

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Backfield in Motion is an illegal move in American Football i.e. the secondary (backfield) has moved before the ball was snapped to the quarterback, thus cheating, I think. Perhaps we could get a UK version made with references to football. Like you are not ten yards or passive play or you cheating diving Johnny Foreigner! :thumbsup:

Social source share

No. The Wheel had closed by the time "Starting All Over..." came out in 1973. "Backfield..." was reissued in 1971 (on multi-coloured Concord label). I saw them at The Lafayette in Wolverhampton where they performed their version of "Free For All" etc. and during the slow bits, encouraged the sparse and mixed audience to "chill out, sit on the floor and have a smoke..." (nobody seemed to know what the hell they were talking about!) They also appeared at the infamous Leeds Queens Hall allnighter in 1974.

Ah ...... The Queens Hall All - Nighter .

The Dunkirk of the amphet generation ..... what a shambles .

What ever happened to The Hearts Of Soul ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

Anyone remember the American Cop programme from the 80s 'Hill St. Blues'? I remember two of the policemen (Bobby & A.N.O?) playing a practical joke on another copper in the locker room and when he found out (in their company) they both started to sing 'Backfield in Motion, You ought to be ashamed of yourself, baby...' Don't you just love soul trivia?! Ade

Social source share

Anyone remember the American Cop programme from the 80s 'Hill St. Blues'? I remember two of the policemen (Bobby & A.N.O?) playing a practical joke on another copper in the locker room and when he found out (in their company) they both started to sing 'Backfield in Motion, You ought to be ashamed of yourself, baby...' Don't you just love soul trivia?! Ade

The two policemen in question were Officer Robert " Bobby " Hill ( Michael Warren ) and Officer John " JD " Larue ( Keil Martin ) .

Hey - Let's be careful out there ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Naturally we love soul trivia! We wouldn't be on here otherwise! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ah ...... The Queens Hall All - Nighter .

The Dunkirk of the amphet generation ..... what a shambles .

What ever happened to The Hearts Of Soul ?

Malc Burton

Currently working in MacDonald's I should think! wicked.gif - Or maybe they changed their name to 'Creme Brulee'! (did you watch 'League of Gentlemen?) :yes::yes:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

wasn't there a thread a fair while back about them being a dutch group or something, forget how it come up, think something to do with spooky and sue.... maybe ?

Hi Mike .....

Sorry , but no : The Hearts Of Soul were three black ladies .

Spooky and Sue were Iwan " Spooky " Groeneveld , who fronted the Dutch group The Swinging Soul Machine in the late 1960s / early 1970s , whose biggest hit was " Spooky's Day Off " , which was a successful club sound in the UK in 1969 . IG later got together after TSSM with British female vocalist , Sue Chaloner , to form Spooky and Sue . " I've Got The Need " was one of several records the duo released together .

The photograph below shows the Swing Soul Machine at the height of their success ; the attire the guy on the right is wearing is a little disturbing to say the least ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1169667979_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

went to that niter DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!! stoped going shortly after,dissallusioned with it ages 20!!! ezzie

Social source share

Hi Mike .....

Sorry , but no : The Hearts Of Soul were three black ladies .

Spooky and Sue were Iwan " Spooky " Groeneveld , who fronted the Dutch group The Swinging Soul Machine in the late 1960s / early 1970s , whose biggest hit was " Spooky's Day Off " , which was a successful club sound in the UK in 1969 . IG later got together after TSSM with British female vocalist , Sue Chaloner , to form Spooky and Sue . " I've Got The Need " was one of several records the duo released together .

The photograph on the earlier post ( and below ) shows the Swing Soul Machine at the height of their success - the small black guy enclosed in the arms of the guy with the 'fro is Spooky ; and the attire that

the guy on the right is wearing is a little disturbing to say the least ......

The other photograph below is the sleeve of " I've Got The Need " , showing both Spooky and Sue Chaloner .

Malc

post-5097-1169672033_thumb.jpg

post-5097-1169672480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert