Emotions

I heard a radio show somewhere Lincs/Norfolk way that was playing some Northern tunes. A woman called in and said that she happened to have tuned in and heard Dena Barnes 'If you ever walked out of my life' said it was the first northern tune she had heard in years and it made her cry whilst listening and driving up the A1. Said it brought back fantastic memories of her youth and visits to the north of England.

What tune does it for you then?

for me Christine Cooper, Heartaches away and P. P. Arnold, Everythings Gonna Be Alright.

Edited by bridget
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soulgirlie

I heard a radio show somewhere Lincs/Norfolk way that was playing some Northern tunes. A woman called in and said that she happened to have tuned in and heard Dena Barnes 'If you ever walked out of my life' said it was the first northern tune she had heard in years and it made her cry whilst listening and driving up the A1. Said it brought back fantastic memories of her youth and visits to the north of England.

for me Christine Cooper, Heartaches away and P. P. Arnold, Everythings Gonna Be Alright.

God absolutely loads especially newer stuff .. but of older tuneage then I would go with Annabel Fox .."Lonely Girl" and Celeste Hardie .."You're Gone" as a couple which immediately spring to mind .

Lin

Social source share

Easy one this. My Old Man had a copy of that WVON Chicago album (what year? 82? 83?) Used to love Tyrone Barkley, Cheryl Berdell & Jan Jones to death.

Got in one of the Dad's cars from my son's football team and he had Tyrone Barkley playing on the car stereo.

I had goosebumps, hair on my neck stood up and my eyes filled up!

I hadn't heard it for about 15 years and it sounded brilliant as I tried to sing along :lol:

Turns out this guy Stuart was from Middleton (Mcr) and was a regular at Mr M's many moons ago.

He was more shocked than me & said no-one ever liked his tapes!

Just like to point out it wouldn't have that effect now, but you get my drift....

Jamie :thumbsup:

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

One of many for me is Gwen Owens - Wanted and needed. :thumbsup:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest mel brat

...What tune does it for you then?

As an unashamed nostalgia freak, there are just too many! Almost every record I own (and many I don't) have personal memories attached to them (If I mention "Why Can't We Be Lovers" by Lamont Dozier, Al Green's early hits etc... you'll get my drift!) I regard "Walk On By" as the first record that made me aware of the emotional power of pop (soul) music, and the intro alone immediately takes me right back to the time I first heard it on my brand new transistor radio at the age of 10! (I won't further bore you with the circumstances!) As for Northern Soul, The Prophets and Sapphires "Gotta Have Your Love" still give me familiar chills after all these years, and I can even feel the September chill in the air when I hear "Temptation Is Calling My Name"! Finally, I think that some melodies are just so poignant as to have "instant nostalgia" built into the production. "Ask The Lonely" by the Four Tops is one such side.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Tempests - I Dont Want To Lose Her

Oh yes! Tune!!

Roy Hamilton, Reach Out For Me would the song that rips anything remotely emotional from me... and that's hard!

Although not soul, To The Moon And Back makes me hold my breath!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The Prophets - If I Had One Gold Piece - Shrine

Gets me going everytime. I don't blub but it makes me sing at the top of my voice in the car, fantastic builder of a record. :shades:

I suppose I'm Gone - Eddie Parker makes me feel tough and manly when dancing to it...

'I don't want no woman always telling me what to do...' welcome to my world Eddie :rolleyes:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert