Christine Cooper

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Think it has more of an air of "Lovers Concerto" to me.

ATB

Tony

Spot on observation Tony.

I'm probably in the tiny minority, from what I've read here, but I've always rated "SOS (Heart In Distress)" faaaaar higher than "the wimpish "Heartaches Away My Boy".

I've always considered "Heartaches" as a dull as dish water, poor quality 'cash in' follow up to the much 'harder edged' and Soulful "SOS" (which I love to bits).

The message behind "SOS" is powerful (and actually quite clever) whereas the 'supposedly' more optimistic lyric on "Heartaches Away My Boy" (such a crappy title) is a real contradiction in terms, totally lost in bloody misery, winding up with a timid, ineffectual, cheap and nasty and depressing result.

It's a record I've always considered a heinous crime, ashtray fodder... and just plain bloody awful (to my ears).

Sorry... maybe I need to get some sleep!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest CliftonHall1

Spot on observation Tony.

I'm probably in the tiny minority, from what I've read here, but I've always rated "SOS (Heart In Distress)" faaaaar higher than "the wimpish "Heartaches Away My Boy".

I've always considered "Heartaches" as a dull as dish water, poor quality 'cash in' follow up to the much 'harder edged' and Soulful "SOS" (which I love to bits).

The message behind "SOS" is powerful (and actually quite clever) whereas the 'supposedly' more optimistic lyric on "Heartaches Away My Boy" (such a crappy title) is a real contradiction in terms, totally lost in bloody misery, winding up with a timid, ineffectual, cheap and nasty and depressing result.

It's a record I've always considered a heinous crime, ashtray fodder... and just plain bloody awful (to my ears).

Sorry... maybe I need to get some sleep!

laugh.gif

Sean

Well WHAT do you expect from messrs Ricky Cordell & Co who bought us later delights such as SIMPLE SIMON SAYS.....Enough to get Denis going.....

Social source share

I think I bought my copy of "SOS" (now long gone!) from our local Graduate records shop C.1972. But how come they never had the Charades, Alice Clark, Dottie Cambridge, Clara Ward etc.!!!??? GRRRRRRR!!!! :thumbsup:

P.S. Just have to say that The Ambers (on Verve) is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE RECORDS OF ALL TIME !

Probably 'cos there were TONS of "S.O.S."'s! They had thousands of that one title believe me.

If you think about it, the fact that they got her on a TV show with such a neo-Motown catchy song meant that they probably drastically over-pressed "S.O.S." hence the reason that Bostocks ended up with most of 'em.

They had appreciably less copies of the Charades, Alice Clark, Dottie Cambridge, Clara Ward etc, 'cos they were all £1, whilst Christine Cooper was a mere 25p.

Bradford Market Economics LOL........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian D

Social source share

Probably 'cos there were TONS of "S.O.S."'s! They had thousands of that one title believe me.

If you think about it, the fact that they got her on a TV show with such a neo-Motown catchy song meant that they probably drastically over-pressed "S.O.S." hence the reason that Bostocks ended up with most of 'em.

They had appreciably less copies of the Charades, Alice Clark, Dottie Cambridge, Clara Ward etc, 'cos they were all £1, whilst Christine Cooper was a mere 25p.

Bradford Market Economics LOL........

Ian D :D

Ian D

When our rutund friend first aired " Rat Race " at Central Drive , I went purposely on the following Monday to see if Bostocks had copies ........

Of course they did ; I bought 20 of them , and took them to sell the following week ........

When he found I was selling them , the language he delivered my way was appalling , and I had to quicky duck to avoid the teddy .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

When our rutund friend first aired " Rat Race " at Central Drive , I went purposely on the following Monday to see if Bostocks had copies ........

Of course they did ; I bought 20 of them , and took them to sell the following week ........

When he found I was selling them , the language he delivered my way was appalling , and I had to quicky duck to avoid the teddy .........

Malc Burton

LOL! I bet you did!

I think there was a steady stream of us @ Bostocks that week! It went from a one-off to a thousand-off in about a week LOL.... laugh.gif

20 copies at a fiver apiece could cover your whole weekend in those days!

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

LOL! I bet you did!

I think there was a steady stream of us @ Bostocks that week! It went from a one-off to a thousand-off in about a week LOL.... laugh.gif

20 copies at a fiver apiece could cover your whole weekend in those days!

Ian D :wicked:

It did - and the following one :thumbup: ..........

I can still see the Rotund One's face - bright red , all that was needed was steam coming out of his ears ........

When did Bostocks close down ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert