Played And Forgotten Modern Soul

Peter99

{Earlier quote from Plumby/Sean}

Great thread

Some great quotes - love Simon's initial post and love Sean's 'i bought 60's in the 60's....' post - again, showing the quality of Soul Source and all who sail in her

Not going to repeat meself, as i've mentioned this on various forums and gone into (real) print about the 'third scene' BUT surely most of the records mentioned here are candidates for that scene? Thus they must have a chance of being played in 2007!

I think maybe a 'late 80's/90's' oldies scene will come along as a '4th scene' in years to come but most of the late 70's/early 80's stuff listed here can be heard (albeit infrequently for a few of them) at '3rd scene' venues?

Just been pulling 70's & 80's LP tracks out for a CD swap (from another thread) and at least half a dozen tunes have gone into my 'must play this at The Orwell this year' pile!!!!

Just an observation.....although i'll just go get me hard hat for any sarky replies that follow

Cheers

Steve

I think you 4th scene reference could well come to fruition in the special 4th room at Blackburn KGH on the 27th Steve, this thread pretty much represents the kind of music that will be featured.

Confuses the hell out of me.

Didn't buy any 60s in the 60s cos couldn't afford a record player so taped Mike Raven & Rosko instead (suppose it was the records I couldn't afford really - not in the volume I'd want) but to me it's all soul music. When people start getting into "two step" scene and "boogie scene" start to get really confused and the borders between house and soul. Okay there are some clear obvious ones but for example what many call jazz-funk, I'd say was just good 70s soul.

God help someone who's new to it, when it confuses an old bugger like me who's been a bit of an anorak for 40 years.

(Baz, have you changed your email).

Wow, just got Real Love Radio on and on comes Womack's That's The Way I Feel About'cha, now that is SOUL!

Gordon

Social source share

• Replies 147
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Nope.

Not got it by Johnnie Taylor, Stevie.

Can't help thinking I've got another version though (Barbara Carr?........... maybe not!)

Poser Man

Cannae believe ya missed this Seany baby :thumbsup:

Top quality CD of his outtakes from his Malaco days.

Released after his death. He apparently recorded a few extra tracks on every LP session at Malaco, which came out as a compilation after he died.

It's a cracking version of 'Midnight mood' and one that got plays at the time at Yarmouth, Orwell etc

I'll cd-r it for ya mate and bring it to Yarmouth if you want.......although knowing you, you'll be on the case for the original................about now wink.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hey I was beginning to think I was the only one around here that is hugely into late 70's/80's stuff!! I agree with the first post here 100%. Just been going through a couple of record boxes and there is way too much stuff not getting plays, rarer stuff and easier to find stuff. It would be great to go to a do and hear things like Chapter 8 - How can I get next to you, Lanier & Co. - I don't know, Spinners - Got to be love, Magic Lady - Give it up, lots of things. Although none of these are rare and recieved heavy plays at some point, I really don't see why certain things shouldn't be played in modern rooms, surely it wouldn't hurt to try them at least. I was at the last "Without Boundaries" event in Burton and was a bit done at the lack of early 80's played, as on the flyer "classic 80's" was advertised. I spent time in and out of both rooms there and only heard around half a dozen 80's tracks played between the two. Sam and Fish were the only two DJ's I heard playing any. Overall a good night though!

Social source share

Crosswind - Fantastic!! It would be great to walk into a room and hear that playing. It's featured on Richard Searling's "Music From The Soul" CD which,to name just one more, also contains another great 80's cut - Gary Taylor's "Just what I had in mind", sheer class.

Social source share

Just been thinking about some more underplayed 80's tunes - Rockie Robbins "An act of love", Caviar "Never stop loving you", Clausel "Let me love you", Patches "I'm gonna make this world a better place", Will Downing "So you wanna be my lover" - the list is endless....

Social source share

The list does seem endless! I think we have lists of lists of lists...................which is great.

It seemed just a simple, straightforward thread - what as I created?

Some really good stuff has come out of it though.

:thumbsup:

thumbsup.gif

Dont forget Dave Raistrick , has a weekender lined up in Skegness , where lots of these records will be played ..Nov 2007 !!

Social source share

Just been thinking about some more underplayed 80's tunes - Rockie Robbins "An act of love", Caviar "Never stop loving you", Clausel "Let me love you", Patches "I'm gonna make this world a better place", Will Downing "So you wanna be my lover" - the list is endless....

You'll like this then:

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yep, good tune! Nice to see video too. I just went to dig out one of R.J.'s Latest Arrival's other tunes, "What becomes of a broken heart", not played it for ages. Thanks for that!

Social source share

Niteflyte "All About love"

Leon Ware "What's Your Name"

Leroy Hutson "Love Oh Love"

Randy Brown "Love Be With You"

Loleatta Holloway "Dreamin'"

Anthony White "Hey Baby"

Whispers "Gonna Love You More"

Philip Mitchell "In Her Own Way"

Ronnie Dyson "I Want To Be Where You Are"

Little Anthony "Love Was Born For Me"

Little Reuben "In The Name Of Loneliness"

Brothers Gilmore "I Feel A Song"

All Soulful uptempo thumpers.

Equally, it would be interesting to see how these more midtempo things might be received:-

Cheryl Hunter "Make Good Love To Me"

Denise Lasalle "Here I Am Again"

Mary Love "Sandbox"

100 Proof "Don't You Wake Me"

Goldie Alexander "Go Back"

Sean

Nice 1 Sean, a Hull boys playlist! :lol: . These were the kind of tunes that late-Callis Waudby and the piss-takingly titled 'Soul-on-Ale' at Sailmakers were all about (And many other Hull area soul nites since too) Not that we can remember much about it cos me and Captain Kearney were probably too busy fighting each other and Mark Robinson was too busy trying to keep the peace.

I tried to introduce tunes such as these to the main room at my do's at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens on many occasions in the many years that I was running the old joint. But I was met with steely stares, many a rotten vegetable and mutterings of "they never played this at 10.37 p.m. on Saturday 17th July 1978 (or whenever) you heathen". Obviously the original, and undoubted, 'progessive spirit' had evaporated! (so I gave up and opened a modern room where we had many a happy hour!). Then again, I was 'offered outside' when spinning Hamilton Movement at the Gardens 5 or so years back and of course thats an accepted 'northern oldie' now. So maybe one day our 'oldies' like Denise LaSalle might become oldies to the vest and patches boys & girls. I hope not cos i want to keep them all for my very own. So there. :thumbsup: .

Anyway, 'Here I Go Again'.....(maybe veering a little off the orig thread) but I WANT to hear the likes of....

Flowers - Both

Willie Darrington - never shoulda walked away

Tony Troutman - wots the use

Jimmy Norman - wanna make love to you

Aquarian Dream - phoenix

Hari Paris - u hit my love

Michelle Wiley - feels good

Smoke - u will always b a part of me

Dysons Faces - welcome

Nicky Newarkers - woman

Wilson Pickett - How Will I Ever Know

David Martin - yr mighty right

Lashawn Collins

Marie Franklin - Being in love aint easy

Charisma Band

George McRae -take it off

Bill Brandon -streets got my lady

Earl White Jnr

Raj

Rideout

Ernest Baker

Solomon Burke - pls don't say goodbye 2 me

Honey Cone - somebody's always messing up a good thing

Wizdum - so in luv

Gene Chandler - I'll make the living

Laurence Hilton Jacobs - wonderwoman

Randy Brown - i'm always in the mood

and all that.........

Modern oldies I suppose you could call them. They're my thang, and i LUV EM!!!!

Taxi for Woomble..............

Steve

Social source share

Hi Steve

Some great tracks listed there.

Some of the stuff you wanted to hear in the main room at the Winter Gardens made it. There was always more than a few of us who wanted to hear the same stuff. You should have given us a shout the night you were "offered outside" - we would have been too pissed to help but would have shouted encouragement and waived a stick on your behalf!

Will you be there for the last do on the 3rd?

Pete

Social source share

Hi Steve

Some great tracks listed there.

Some of the stuff you wanted to hear in the main room at the Winter Gardens made it. There was always more than a few of us who wanted to hear the same stuff. You should have given us a shout the night you were "offered outside" - we would have been too pissed to help but would have shouted encouragement and waived a stick on your behalf!

Will you be there for the last do on the 3rd?

Pete

No not gonna be there m8. DJing in York for Steve Bowman's 50th birthday. Was asked by Shazza to do it ages ago and I ain't letting him (or her) down cos they are reet top people, as are a load of the York geezer and geezerettes. Would have loved to have been at what might be the last Winter Gardens do but hey ho, onwards and upwards! I did my time there and loved every minute of it and I sincerely hope it's a fantastic night and I think it's only right that what could be the last night brings together the original DJ line-up. And then let's see what the future brings.........

Steve

Social source share

When Love Comes Calling - george benson - grp

13521 refosoul

Beware, this is only on certain issues of the CD. Don't think it's on the American issue.

Picked this up as a 12" at release off them lovely crazy beat geezers (cheers girth) and never see any about now. Lovely tune and always a safe floor-filler. I remember Trev Cox playing it first (well, first to me anyway! And in Cleethorpes winter Gardens main room! Nice 1 Trev!) and going mad 4 it. Is it quite scarce then?

Steve

Social source share

Picked this up as a 12" at release off them lovely crazy beat geezers (cheers girth) and never see any about now.

Steve

Allo Steve - The German only 12"!!! - the only quantity we ever had on this were the 10 (approx) copies at time of release......after that just the odd one here & there. And a couple of those would have from those 10.....so yes extremely scarce on 12" :thumbsup:

Girf

Social source share

Nice 1 Sean, a Hull boys playlist! :lol: . These were the kind of tunes that late-Callis Waudby and the piss-takingly titled 'Soul-on-Ale' at Sailmakers were all about (And many other Hull area soul nites since too) Not that we can remember much about it cos me and Captain Kearney were probably too busy fighting each other and Mark Robinson was too busy trying to keep the peace.

I tried to introduce tunes such as these to the main room at my do's at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens on many occasions in the many years that I was running the old joint. But I was met with steely stares, many a rotten vegetable and mutterings of "they never played this at 10.37 p.m. on Saturday 17th July 1978 (or whenever) you heathen". Obviously the original, and undoubted, 'progessive spirit' had evaporated! (so I gave up and opened a modern room where we had many a happy hour!). Then again, I was 'offered outside' when spinning Hamilton Movement at the Gardens 5 or so years back and of course thats an accepted 'northern oldie' now. So maybe one day our 'oldies' like Denise LaSalle might become oldies to the vest and patches boys & girls. I hope not cos i want to keep them all for my very own. So there. :thumbsup: .

Anyway, 'Here I Go Again'.....(maybe veering a little off the orig thread) but I WANT to hear the likes of....

Flowers - Both

Aquarian Dream - phoenix

Dysons Faces - welcome

Nicky Newarkers - woman

Lashawn Collins

Charisma Band

Earl White Jnr

Raj

Rideout

Ernest Baker

Wizdum - so in luv

and all that.........

Steve

Hey Steve,

More of a Hull boy 'paying tribute' to a Rotherham Boy's playlist, I reckon!

:thumbup:

Make sure you're at Rotherham (Soul Spectrum - Manor Barn) this Saturday Night... and I'll play a good few of 'em for ya!

Would be good to see you there mate.

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Hey Steve,

More of a Hull boy 'paying tribute' to a Rotherham Boy's playlist, I reckon!

:lol:

Make sure you're at Rotherham (Soul Spectrum - Manor Barn) this Saturday Night... and I'll play a good few of 'em for ya!

Would be good to see you there mate.

Sean

Hey Mister ....

If I ask you nicely , will you play " Phoenix " for me on Saturday night ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Am I the only person on the planet who finds this record annoying. I always thought this was a standard. Heard it played a few times over the years and always creates a real buzz.... I sort of see the appeal but not for me.

A better record is "Come to bed" from the same time as her "my toot toot". Bloody great record...

One that has is Babara Lynn "I'm still the same", form 1985.

An earlier one that sounds pretty good is the Originals "The magic is you" from 1981. I'm sure this could crossover to Nothern side but don't let put you off!!

Regards Alan

It's because "Here I Am Again" is (rhythmically) in the same vein as Bessie Banks etc. and has that "classic Blackpool Mecca feel" that makes it such a potential dancefloor winner to me. Much as I like "Come To Bed", which I have on the album, I don't think it's got quite the same potential. "I Get What I Want" on ABC from 1976 however, has been almost universally forgotten, and I would have thought the Northern crossover potential for that was HUGE given the right exposure, as it has the feel of Phillip Michell's "I'm So Happy", and is similarly uplifting. I had the Originals album at the time (is on Hamilton Bohannon's own label) but I sold it for £3(!) in 1989 - along with loads of other goodies! :wicked: - and I had a hard time selling 'em! Remember taping it for both Ady Pountain and Richard Searling though when they were deejaying at the 70's room at Stafford, along with Beloyd, Ronn Matlock and some other stuff...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Sweet Tears - roy aryes - giant step/talkin loud

14054 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

Bretby floor packer

Wondered when you'd dig your old signature tune out!! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Nice 1 Sean, a Hull boys playlist! :rolleyes: . These were the kind of tunes that late-Callis Waudby and the piss-takingly titled 'Soul-on-Ale' at Sailmakers were all about (And many other Hull area soul nites since too) Not that we can remember much about it cos me and Captain Kearney were probably too busy fighting each other and Mark Robinson was too busy trying to keep the peace.

I tried to introduce tunes such as these to the main room at my do's at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens on many occasions in the many years that I was running the old joint. But I was met with steely stares, many a rotten vegetable and mutterings of "they never played this at 10.37 p.m. on Saturday 17th July 1978 (or whenever) you heathen". Obviously the original, and undoubted, 'progessive spirit' had evaporated! (so I gave up and opened a modern room where we had many a happy hour!). Then again, I was 'offered outside' when spinning Hamilton Movement at the Gardens 5 or so years back and of course thats an accepted 'northern oldie' now. So maybe one day our 'oldies' like Denise LaSalle might become oldies to the vest and patches boys & girls. I hope not cos i want to keep them all for my very own. So there. :lol: .

Flowers - Both

Aquarian Dream - phoenix

Dysons Faces - welcome

Nicky Newarkers - woman

Lashawn Collins

Charisma Band

Earl White Jnr

Raj

Rideout

Ernest Baker

Wizdum - so in luv

and all that.........

Steve

I feel abit of deja vu reading the above playlist, almost all of my spins from early to mid 80's, when I was playing on Pirate Radio in London and also at gigs in London @ Swan & Sugarloaf, Dingwalls, The Side Door Soul Club, etc etc. Most of the cuts were 'new' modern soul discoveries puchased from Mail order dealers and other real deal shops like Record Corner. Tony Troutman 'What's The Use' was massive for yours truely at the time as was Tommy Tate 'What Gives You The Right', Randy Brown 'Always in The Mood', Hari Paris 'You Hit My Love' and Terry Callier 'Don't Want To See Myself (Without You)'

My saying at the time was 'Bob Jones plays Real Soul For The Folks Who Feel Soul - and that's the Difference!' The music policy then was a freestyle set blending in Modern tunes alongside my 60's & 70's Soul collection. I.e Quality Black Soul music from the 60's to the present day.

Something I've always tried to keep to over the years.

Great thread btw

Respect

Dr Bob Jones

:hypo:

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I feel abit of deja vu reading the above playlist, almost all of my spins from early to mid 80's, when I was playing on Pirate Radio in London and also at gigs in London @ Swan & Sugarloaf, Dingwalls, The Side Door Soul Club, etc etc. Most of the cuts were 'new' modern soul discoveries puchased from Mail order dealers and other real deal shops like Record Corner. Tony Troutman 'What's The Use' was massive for yours truely at the time as was Tommy Tate 'What Gives You The Right', Randy Brown 'Always in The Mood', Hari Paris 'You Hit My Love' and Terry Callier 'Don't Want To See Myself (Without You)'

My saying at the time was 'Bob Jones plays Real Soul For The Folks Who Feel Soul - and that's the Difference!' The music policy then was a freestyle set blending in Modern tunes alongside my 60's & 70's Soul collection. I.e Quality Black Soul music from the 60's to the present day.

Something I've always tried to keep to over the years.

Great thread btw

Respect

Dr Bob Jones

I remember 'Shuffles' a few years back Bob - top night!

Anything on in london at the moment?

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Yes the night @ Shuffles, Rathbone Place in London's Soho was 'The Surgery'. Every Sat night for about 2 years, in the early 90's. That night was promoted by Sav Remzi , who went on to managed 'The Blue Note' in London's east side. down in Hoxton. The Surgery won national club and DJ awards and was such a popular night in London with 3-400 people very week.

Regards

Dr Bob Jones

Social source share

Good thread!

Always felt that a lot of the stuff around in the early 'Modern' scene and the late 80's / early 90's would resurface and perhaps even cross over onto the 'Northern' scene.

In some cases they have... i.e. Al Mason "Good Lovin"... but by and large, apart from the 'evergreens' the majority of modern sides were always destined to fall by the wayside for the reasons you cited, mainly that 'Modern' DJ's generally have a quest to be first with the 'next' big tune.

I'd love to see the reaction at a Northern night to some of the following, underplayed Modern 'monsters' from a bygone age.

Niteflyte "All About love"

Leon Ware "What's Your Name"

Leroy Hutson "Love Oh Love"

Randy Brown "Love Be With You"

Loleatta Holloway "Dreamin'"

Anthony White "Hey Baby"

Whispers "Gonna Love You More"

Philip Mitchell "In Her Own Way"

Ronnie Dyson "I Want To Be Where You Are"

Little Anthony "Love Was Born For Me"

Little Reuben "In The Name Of Loneliness"

Brothers Gilmore "I Feel A Song"

All Soulful uptempo thumpers.

Equally, it would be interesting to see how these more midtempo things might be received:-

Cheryl Hunter "Make Good Love To Me"

Denise Lasalle "Here I Am Again"

Mary Love "Sandbox"

100 Proof "Don't You Wake Me"

Goldie Alexander "Go Back"

In recent years we've seen Modern 'Standards' such as Ace Spectrum, Jan Jones, Corey Blake, Carl Hall, Innersection, Channel 3, Bettye Swann, Futures, Aretha "Integrity" etc becoming big 'Northern' tunes and most, if not all of the above (all but forgotten tunes) would give those particular titles a run for their money!

It still amuses (yet depresses) me when those who rate James Fountain / Ann Sexton / Voices of East Harlem / Bobby Hutton / Anderson Bros etc 'because they are 'Northern' classics' pour scorn on 70's / Modern soul.

I'm pretty sure that most 'Northern' fans would embrace more 'Modern' (as in non 60's) tracks if they were to able to hear the quality of some of the 'discarded treasures' above, played out.

The challenge is that some 'Modern' DJ's don't really know the good stuff from the bad and can't discern a good 'Soul' record from a good 'dance' record. I've been to some 'Modern' nights and can easily see why some 'Northern SOUL' fans might be put off.

As a Soul fan (first and foremost) I've never really cared when a record was made.

In the 60's I bought 60's soul.

In the 70's I bought 70's & 60's soul.

In the 80's, I bought 80's, 70's and 60's Soul and so on to this day... where I still buy and play current and 'historic' soul music.

Never done me any harm... but I've always given Modern 'Dance' records just as wide a birth as I did the 60's 'pop' stompers of 30 (ish) years ago.

Sorry. I ramble.

If the cream truly rises to the top, then the best of the bunch will/should eventually find their way back onto playlists, sometime along the way.

Sean

Hey Sean

Little Rueben has been in & out of my play box for years, great tune IMO I have played it at many NS nights including the 100 Club & more recently the Hitsville Weekender, alway's seems to get a reaction, if only from the chin strokers as opposed to the dancefloor.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert