Played And Forgotten Modern Soul

Peter99

• Replies 147
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not heard the CD Dave - some nice stuff on there.

Cheers

Peter

I know this morning sounds like one long sales pitch from me, but I do have a few of this. :lol: But I put it up cuz I think it is that good. thumbsup.gif

PS and he's a real nice guy, don't need to count your fingers after you've shook hand, unlike his brother :D

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

In recent years we've seen Modern 'Standards' such as Ace Spectrum, Jan Jones, Corey Blake, Carl Hall, Innersection, Channel 3, Bettye Swann, Futures, Aretha "Integrity" etc becoming big 'Northern' tunes...

Actually, I once heard Denise Lasalle played on the Andy Peebles Soul Show(!) Always thought it very much in the Bessie Banks vein. (ie. great!) Anthony White was a small Mecca spin when new, as was Loleatta Holloway. As for some modern records "crossing over" to the Northern scene - that's a sure-fire way for me to get heartily sick of them, because they get played endlessly for years and years - Bettye Swann and Ace Spectrum being good examples. Wouldn't hurt to spin a few from your list, at least occasionally - but if they too "crossed over" would we be hearing them '"Forever And A Day"? :lol:

P.S. Stand up the DJ daring enough to play "Paradise" by Neo-Experience!

Prefer - "Human" by Neo experience and Im still wanting one as well! Hint Hint - Not too expensive though and in ex cond

Social source share

A few more of those great CD tracks all but forgotten

Elisah La' Verne-I can't wait to be with you-Adept

George Benson-When love comes calling-GRP

Ollie Nightingale-She's in a midnight mood in the middle of the day-Ecko

Wendell Brown-you're the one-Raw Deal

Lenny Reynolds Jr-Things just ain't the same-Private Pressing

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Lenny Reynolds Jr-Things just ain't the same-Privat Pressing

Dave, the George Benson is still a big instant floor filler whenever it's played. Another Winsford memory as a new release. :lol:

The Wendell Brown track is absolutely superb imho, as is the Lenny Reynolds, though it suffers from poor production.

Social source share

Dave,

Is there any chance of some more clips, please?

John

Social source share

When Love Comes Calling - george benson - grp

13521 refosoul

Beware, this is only on certain issues of the CD. Don't think it's on the American issue.

Social source share

Great thread thumbsup.gif

Some great quotes - love Simon's initial post and love Sean's 'i bought 60's in the 60's....' post - again, showing the quality of Soul Source and all who sail in her :D

Not going to repeat meself, as i've mentioned this on various forums and gone into (real) print about the 'third scene' BUT surely most of the records mentioned here are candidates for that scene? Thus they must have a chance of being played in 2007!

I think maybe a 'late 80's/90's' oldies scene will come along as a '4th scene' in years to come but most of the late 70's/early 80's stuff listed here can be heard (albeit infrequently for a few of them) at '3rd scene' venues?

Just been pulling 70's & 80's LP tracks out for a CD swap (from another thread) and at least half a dozen tunes have gone into my 'must play this at The Orwell this year' pile!!!!

Just an observation.....although i'll just go get me hard hat for any sarky replies that follow :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I would agree , but the problem is that the die hard soul police will come out and shout sacrilege at the thought of playing a tune however, soulful, worthwhile and hitting the spot due to the fact that it's on a CD.......There are so many tunes being missed because of the lack of the opportunity to air these tunes at venues due to the unwritten law of vinyl only.....where does that leave the scene in 10 years time, or even longer? Probably been covered already, however worthwhile debate...

Social source share

I know this morning sounds like one long sales pitch from me, but I do have a few of this. :lol: But I put it up cuz I think it is that good. :D

I might have just bought into that morning long sales pitch! If you can remember to pop one in yer bag for the March Soulshakers do I'd appreciate it.

Peter

rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I don't have any issues with CD's (although I still don't give them the same reverance as records) and have been grandually building up a missing 15 years of 90's/Y2k tunes, thanks to Dodger (eternally grateful, mate). But, I miss the demise of the 7"/12" (or even CD) single, (although there seems to be a revival with Grapevine, Soul Junction, etc. issues). You hear a great track and find out the rest of the CD is rubbish, and I then think about the cost of it and then wonder whether I should have bought it or should I buy it. Then again the same thing applys to LP's but I don't seem to get so blue if the rest of the LP is rubbish. I think I'm still going through a record/CD transition period. What will it be like when CD's eventually disappear and replaced with downloads?

Social source share

I don't have any issues with CD's (although I still don't give them the same reverance as records) and have been grandually building up a missing 15 years of 90's/Y2k tunes, thanks to Dodger (eternally grateful, mate). But, I miss the demise of the 7"/12" (or even CD) single, (although there seems to be a revival with Grapevine, Soul Junction, etc. issues). You hear a great track and find out the rest of the CD is rubbish, and I then think about the cost of it and then wonder whether I should have bought it or should I buy it. Then again the same thing applys to LP's but I don't seem to get so blue if the rest of the LP is rubbish. I think I'm still going through a record/CD transition period. What will it be like when CD's eventually disappear and replaced with downloads?

Social source share

Made my best mate lol

Walking round Tk Max last saturday flicking through the XXL Ben Shermans listening to the background music when Moses Smith - Girl Across the stree comes on. Mrs looks at me a laughs , moved on to the 38" waisted Skinners when the next tune comes on...awesome f**kin awesome...bollcoks to the skinners.

Finds the nearest speaker and stand underneath for the best earoling, the chorus kicks in...this is fluckin brill, wtf is it? Sounds like Drizabone!!!!!

My Mrs then finds me looking up to the speaker singing with my eyes shut..."what are you doing?

"do you know what this record is?"

"for Christ sake we're out shoping"

"I'll catch you up in 5 mins"...

Off I trundle to the help desk....

"can I help you sir"

"yeah what was the last tune played on your PA system?"

"what(confused) the musice being played is a cd that HQ send down"

"ok you don't know what the last tune was do ya"

"Sorry I'm a assistant not a DJ" LOL

The chorus and the girls vocal just stuck in my mind, that night after some fairly comprehensive googling I found out who it was and my 12" copy came through today, 1992 release date (is this a modern oldie) Ive since been told by those that matter that its a pop record....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNZorXd9is

Social source share

Top Tips those Dave,

Ollie is an Out and Out classic IMO and the Wendell Brown (which I also hammered when new) is Soooooooo Right!

Don't know if you (or anyone else) ever listened to the track "Losing Game" off the Wendell CD. If not, you should. It's totally sublime!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

There are so many CD's that were only produced in small runs on tiny labels, just the same as vinyl used to be. Yes some times there is only one really good track, but apart from the odd few at the moment, most CD's souldn't cost more than £20. So still cheap when you consider most good 45's are £25 and up, and I said most no all, yes there are lots of £5-£10 nice 45's.

Social source share

Had old Lenny back in the old play box recently mate...........cool!!!!

Wasn't aware that there was an Ollie N version of "Midnight Mood".....I have the Bill Coday version on one of his Ecko CD's.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Wasn't aware that there was an Ollie N version of "Midnight Mood".....I have the Bill Coday version on one of his Ecko CD's.

Cheers,

Mark R

Got 3 versions of this super duper little number Mark,

Ollie Nightingale (I'll Drink Your Bathwater CD)

Bill Coday (Put Me In The Mood CD)

Denise Lasalle (Still The Queen CD)

All on Ecko!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I know this morning sounds like one long sales pitch from me, but I do have a few of this. :thumbsup: But I put it up cuz I think it is that good. :wicked:

I might have just bought into that morning long sales pitch! If you can remember to pop one in yer bag for the March Soulshakers do I'd appreciate it.

Peter

rolleyes.gif

I'll bring one just to tempt you :)

Social source share

Made my best mate lol

Walking round Tk Max last saturday flicking through the XXL Ben Shermans listening to the background music when Moses Smith - Girl Across the stree comes on. Mrs looks at me a laughs , moved on to the 38" waisted Skinners when the next tune comes on...awesome f**kin awesome...bollcoks to the skinners.

Finds the nearest speaker and stand underneath for the best earoling, the chorus kicks in...this is fluckin brill, wtf is it? Sounds like Drizabone!!!!!

My Mrs then finds me looking up to the speaker singing with my eyes shut..."what are you doing?

"do you know what this record is?"

"for Christ sake we're out shoping"

"I'll catch you up in 5 mins"...

Off I trundle to the help desk....

"can I help you sir"

"yeah what was the last tune played on your PA system?"

"what(confused) the musice being played is a cd that HQ send down"

"ok you don't know what the last tune was do ya"

"Sorry I'm a assistant not a DJ" LOL

The chorus and the girls vocal just stuck in my mind, that night after some fairly comprehensive googling I found out who it was and my 12" copy came through today, 1992 release date (is this a modern oldie) Ive since been told by those that matter that its a pop record....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNZorXd9is

And if you like that Paul - check out 'Why Did I Let You Go?' - on the LP or this 12" - https://www.discogs.com/release/56719.

Cheers Girth

Edited by Girthdevon
Social source share

The problem I'm facing with catching up (I also bought new releases at the time, but not as many as I should have) is that these records seem to fall into two categories: "Cheap as chips" or "Wow how much?".

Some that float my boat at the moment are:

Lee Morris - Weak Man or I Got Played on - Lee & Co (actually I like all three Lee & Co releases and his Starville release is nice too)

Junei - You Must Go On - Pharaohs

David Sea - Night After Night - Crown International

Sonny Holly - Cheating Aint No Good - Cash Money

Eric Rapier - Cant Stop Dreaming - Keynote

Magnificents - You Turned Me on - DT

Clay Hammond - Come Into these Arms of Love - P-Vine

J J Johnson - Don't Go Away - Bud/TCC

Malik - My Love - Bud/Fareel

Chuck Roberson - Both Bluesong releases

Chocolate Buttermilk Band - Cant Let Go - CBM

Jeb Stuart - Long Time Coming Down - Esquire

Lee "Shot" Williams - Every man Loves A Woman - O'ona

Numonics - Forever and A Day/You Lied - Hodisk

Clarence Mann - Come What May - Bama/Susie Q

Eddie Cornelius - Love Making In Your Eyes - GB

David Hudson - Just A Feeling - Waylo

Charles Wilson - Trying to Make A Wrong Thing Right - Alley Cat

Beau Williams - Give You Up - Capitol

Quinn Golden - Cant Live Without You - Traction

Lanier & Co - Larc LP

Bobby Jonz - Win Your Love - Dispo

Crosswinds - Fire - Harbor City

(Roy) Galloway - Hide Away - Awe-Some

StanleyWilliams - Count The Days - Hotline

These are exactly the type of things myself, Mark Houghton & Stevie C regularly feature at our monthly Wed session 'A New Chapter' and have done since we started it a few years back.....i'd say at least 2/3rds of your list have been played......and we held an 80s special last year, which we intend on doing again. Too many tunes we missed.....

Next session is.....

Wednesday 21 February

A New Chapter at 3 Blind Mice, 5 Ravey Street, Shoreditch.

Mark Houghton, Gareth Donovan and Stevie Cee - real soul for folks who feel soul, 70s to new independent releases.

'The Mighty Chapter' rumbles on into it's 5th year..

6.30pm - 11.30ish. FREE entry. Tubes: Old St. Liverpool St.

As for the 'cheap as chips' or 'wow how much' - all depends on how indemand it is with the French / European Boogie collectors....many of those tunes have disappeared across the English Channel in the last 10 years.......and its that demand which has caused the rise in price of things like Chocolate Buttermilk, David Sea & Crosswinds.

Cheers Girth

Social source share

These are exactly the type of things myself, Mark Houghton & Stevie C regularly feature at our monthly Wed session 'A New Chapter' and have done since we started it a few years back.....i'd say at least 2/3rds of your list have been played......and we held an 80s special last year, which we intend on doing again. Too many tunes we missed.....

Next session is.....

Wednesday 21 February

Mark Houghton, Gareth Donovan and Stevie Cee - real soul for folks who feel soul, 70s to new independent releases.

As for the 'cheap as chips' or 'wow how much' - all depends on how indemand it is with the French / European Boogie collectors....many of those tunes have disappeared across the English Channel in the last 10 years.......and its that demand which has caused the rise in price of things like Chocolate Buttermilk, David Sea & Crosswinds.

Cheers Girth

Yes Top , night New Chapter for 70's 80's and new !! and we could be talking $5 to $ 19 for indie cd's all over the net ! The dollars weak , buy buy buy

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Got 3 versions of this super duper little number Mark,

Ollie Nightingale (I'll Drink Your Bathwater CD)

Bill Coday (Put Me In The Mood CD)

Denise Lasalle (Still The Queen CD)

All on Ecko!

:D

Sean

Cheers Sean............I've just found I have the LaSalle CD............tooooo many tunes mate!! I'll keep an eye out for Ollie :wicked:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Cheers Sean............I've just found I have the LaSalle CD............tooooo many tunes mate!! I'll keep an eye out for Ollie :D

Cheers,

Mark R

Mr Dearlove used to always have copies of this.

Was a big play at S.E a few years back. Great title for an Album

Social source share

Mr Dearlove used to always have copies of this.

Was a big play at S.E a few years back. Great title for an Album

Yes Gav, I do remember the album coming out actually............but as you say, once you've read a title like that you ain't gonna forget it in a hurry :D:wicked::ohmy:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Yes Gav, I do remember the album coming out actually............but as you say, once you've read a title like that you ain't gonna forget it in a hurry :D:wicked::ohmy:

Cheers,

Mark R

:P:lol:

Social source share

Next session is.....

Wednesday 21 February

Cheers Girth

I don't get out much these days and the 80's special was good and my first do in over 10 years (the penance for having three kids and a wife who thinks its strange that men sing to each other, when a great tune is on).

I loved the one just before xmas too. Although working down the road, does make it a long night beer wise and I'm not a spring chicken any more. It's a shame the next one is a couple of days before Monumental as I can only get a pass for one. At least I'm (hopefully) going to Essence, as long as Brad has reserved some passes and someone needs to hecle Mr Biggerstaff when he plays his deep set. So this may be the start of me supporting do's again.

To my knowledge none of the tunes that I posted up are rare and Soul Bowl probaly still have them floating around somewhere. But I have to say if it wasnt for Bob Jones, these would probably still be unknowns to me.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

hi simon does your mate want to sell 7 mile per hour band get in touch if yes......

No he wont sell anything Im afraid , Ive been after a couple off him for 22 years :angry:

Oi Simon, I hope you're not refering to me! Sold the 7MPHB last year for a monkey, should have taken the cash! Was I done?

Social source share

Oi Simon, I hope you're not refering to me! Sold the 7MPHB last year for a monkey, should have taken the cash! Was I done?

No Simon , not you .. I'll keep this guy a secret though .. :boxing: I think you were done Sy on 7MPHB , with the cost of banana's these days ...

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Good thread!

Always felt that a lot of the stuff around in the early 'Modern' scene and the late 80's / early 90's would resurface and perhaps even cross over onto the 'Northern' scene.

In some cases they have... i.e. Al Mason "Good Lovin"... but by and large, apart from the 'evergreens' the majority of modern sides were always destined to fall by the wayside for the reasons you cited, mainly that 'Modern' DJ's generally have a quest to be first with the 'next' big tune.

I'd love to see the reaction at a Northern night to some of the following, underplayed Modern 'monsters' from a bygone age.

Niteflyte "All About love"

Leon Ware "What's Your Name"

Leroy Hutson "Love Oh Love"

Randy Brown "Love Be With You"

Loleatta Holloway "Dreamin'"

Anthony White "Hey Baby"

Whispers "Gonna Love You More"

Philip Mitchell "In Her Own Way"

Ronnie Dyson "I Want To Be Where You Are"

Little Anthony "Love Was Born For Me"

Little Reuben "In The Name Of Loneliness"

Brothers Gilmore "I Feel A Song"

All Soulful uptempo thumpers.

Equally, it would be interesting to see how these more midtempo things might be received:-

Cheryl Hunter "Make Good Love To Me"

Denise Lasalle "Here I Am Again"

Mary Love "Sandbox"

100 Proof "Don't You Wake Me"

Goldie Alexander "Go Back"

In recent years we've seen Modern 'Standards' such as Ace Spectrum, Jan Jones, Corey Blake, Carl Hall, Innersection, Channel 3, Bettye Swann, Futures, Aretha "Integrity" etc becoming big 'Northern' tunes and most, if not all of the above (all but forgotten tunes) would give those particular titles a run for their money!

It still amuses (yet depresses) me when those who rate James Fountain / Ann Sexton / Voices of East Harlem / Bobby Hutton / Anderson Bros etc 'because they are 'Northern' classics' pour scorn on 70's / Modern soul.

I'm pretty sure that most 'Northern' fans would embrace more 'Modern' (as in non 60's) tracks if they were to able to hear the quality of some of the 'discarded treasures' above, played out.

The challenge is that some 'Modern' DJ's don't really know the good stuff from the bad and can't discern a good 'Soul' record from a good 'dance' record. I've been to some 'Modern' nights and can easily see why some 'Northern SOUL' fans might be put off.

As a Soul fan (first and foremost) I've never really cared when a record was made.

In the 60's I bought 60's soul.

In the 70's I bought 70's & 60's soul.

In the 80's, I bought 80's, 70's and 60's Soul and so on to this day... where I still buy and play current and 'historic' soul music.

Never done me any harm... but I've always given Modern 'Dance' records just as wide a birth as I did the 60's 'pop' stompers of 30 (ish) years ago.

Sorry. I ramble.

If the cream truly rises to the top, then the best of the bunch will/should eventually find their way back onto playlists, sometime along the way.

Sean

Hi Sean ...

Interesting you picked out Denise LaSalle's creditable " Here I Am Again " : We have been playing the said opus for over 18 months at the Corner Pocket in Mexborough ; when aired , it always fills the floor .

Malc Burton

Tomorrow night @ The Corner Pocket

7th Anniversary evening with Guest DJ - Torch and Blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

Info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Excellent stuff John.

StanleyWilliams - Count The Days...

Sean

Wasn't this done first by Al Wilson though? (on Roadshow, 1979) Never understood why that particular version didn't get a look in, as it's a much better dancer I feel. Incidently, has anyone NOT noticed the similarity to Inez & Charlie Foxx - "1,2,3,4, (Count The Days)"?? What goes around comes around...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Sean ...

Interesting you picked out Denise LaSalle Here I Am Again " We have been playing the said opus for over 18 months...

About time. Like I said before, said record was played on Andy Peebles' Soul show and has been knocking around for donkeys years waiting to get spins...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Prefer - "Human" by Neo experience and Im still wanting one as well! Hint Hint - Not too expensive though and in ex cond

Wasn't that the same as the Tommy Hunt standard though? Remember hearing it (same label, right?), but never bought one and have long forgotten. By the way, did you know that David Simmons (of "Will They Miss Me", "Love Tonight") fame is singer with Neo-Experience? Just thought I'd say...

Social source share

About time. Like I said before, said record was played on Andy Peebles' Soul show and has been knocking around for donkeys years waiting to get spins...

Am I the only person on the planet who finds this record annoying. I always thought this was a standard. Heard it played a few times over the years and always creates a real buzz. They used to play it in my local boozer in Manchester, at a regular Saturday Motown night. I sort of see the appeal but not for me.

A better record is "Come to bed" from the same time as her "my toot toot". Bloody great record. Got UK release and must be cheaper than a pint of larger.

Some really interesting stuff listed on this thread. Like many others I'm gonna have to dig a few out to see how they have aged. I suspect some have not stood the test of time.

One that has is Babara Lynn "I'm still the same", form 1985.

An earlier one that sounds pretty good is the Originals "The magic is you" from 1981. I'm sure this could crossover to Nothern side but don't let put you off!!

Regards Alan

Social source share

Great thread :shades:

Some great quotes - love Simon's initial post and love Sean's 'i bought 60's in the 60's....' post - again, showing the quality of Soul Source and all who sail in her :excl:

Not going to repeat meself, as i've mentioned this on various forums and gone into (real) print about the 'third scene' BUT surely most of the records mentioned here are candidates for that scene? Thus they must have a chance of being played in 2007!

I think maybe a 'late 80's/90's' oldies scene will come along as a '4th scene' in years to come but most of the late 70's/early 80's stuff listed here can be heard (albeit infrequently for a few of them) at '3rd scene' venues?

Just been pulling 70's & 80's LP tracks out for a CD swap (from another thread) and at least half a dozen tunes have gone into my 'must play this at The Orwell this year' pile!!!!

Just an observation.....although i'll just go get me hard hat for any sarky replies that follow :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

I think you 4th scene reference could well come to fruition in the special 4th room at Blackburn KGH on the 27th Steve, this thread pretty much represents the kind of music that will be featured.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert