Played And Forgotten Modern Soul

Peter99

Reading one of the threads about the early eighties got me thinking again about one of things that disappointed me about the modern scene - sort of 79 through to 85. There was such an appetite for new stuff back then - and the big all night venues to break them in, that loads and loads of new stuff was played for a very short time, and then discarded to make way for more quality tunes. My personal view is that we "lost" some real soul treasure in those years - in terms of stuff getting plays.

If we compare the old northern scene - where many of us began - old gits, stuff that was big was played for years and years and years. I think one of the reasons why so many of us embraced the new scene when the big split came - Richard, Sam, Arthur etc.

I know this isn;t a new question but should there be an "oldies" modern scene so that we can keep alive some of those "discarded" treasures? I know Sam and others do some great 70's sets - but can't help think we lost a lot of toons!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 147
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think you'll find history repeating itself too...........I think what you are saying is happening with current new releases......to an even greater degree actually as more is being turned up now we have t'internet etc.

With some notable exceptions, the current releases have a very short life before they are filed away in the collection.

As for another oldies scene.............well, as much as I like the tunes you're probably eluding to......it's a no from me..........I want next weeks new releases!!! Each to their own.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Hi Mark

I wouldn't want an oldies modern scene at the expense of any new stuff - obviously we need to be progressive - which is what the modern scene is all about. I guess I'm not sure what I want :wicked: !!

Perhaps I'm simply trying to say that I think there are some huge, huge modern tunes that have never had the playing longevity of the traditional 60's northern scene - because of the progressive nature of the music I - we prefer. Which I think is a shame given the quality of some of the stuff that was unearthed and played.

Social source share

Peter, I had a conversation with John Kerr about exactly this at The Blackpool Luxury Soul Weekender. Some of those discoveries seem to have had a shelf life like Jan Jones and Garfeild Fleming and but many tracks fell by the wayside... Lenny Welch 'You Picked A Fine Time' for example.

But I think the new stuff now falls even quicker in the desperate attempt to be be 'first' with what is essentially 'unreleased' stuff. new available releassed CD tracks are dropped as soon as they become available, which is laughable because the people who are dropping them are the same ones who have spent the last few years sneering at the Northern scene for doing exactly that! To my ears, it means a lot of poor quality tracks get attention they don't really deserve just because they come from an exclusive 'trainspotters' base and are available to a self elected chosen few who dont seem to care if its any good as long as they can big themselves up by being 'first' with it.

Social source share

Simon

I think we have the same ears! I think you're right. I have to be careful as I don;t get out and about as much as I used to and should - but I think a lot of the new release stuff getting plays lacks that real killer soul touch - which is what has always set our scene apart. Certainly so if you compare them to some of the stuff that has been discarded. I don't know Simon - are we running out of undiscovered 70s and 80's tunes. Have we given up looking, and instead opt to go with newly released stuff. That's not to say of course that newly released stuff isn't any good - some of it clearly is, and warrants getting spins.

Perhaps I'm just a purist old git - stuck in the 70's and 80's. Now I seem to have heard that before - circa 1979 at Wigan!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think, it's about quality, plain and simple. Of the stuff played then, if you got to some venues it is still getting played from time to time, but now as oldies, Chapter 8, Johnnie Taylor or the harder to find things like Raj and Jewel. The same can be said of more recent stuff, the best things still get heard from time to time, such as Michael Proctor, Frankie Knuckles, Margi Coleman and Sounds of Blackness. Some others, I will admit slip away, but if thier good they eventually get re-discovered and have a second lease of life.

Social source share

Dave

You are right - it should be about quality, plain and simple. I'm not sure that's always the case though.

Incidentally - your do at Solihull in March looks quality - I'll certainly drag myself out of retirement for that one!

Cheers

Peter

Please do, be good to see you and I think your have yourself a mighty fine time :rolleyes:

Social source share

I think you'll find history repeating itself too...........I think what you are saying is happening with current new releases......to an even greater degree actually as more is being turned up now we have t'internet etc.

With some notable exceptions, the current releases have a very short life before they are filed away in the collection.

As for another oldies scene.............well, as much as I like the tunes you're probably eluding to......it's a no from me..........I want next weeks new releases!!! Each to their own.

Cheers,

Mark R

Oi Mark you were pestering me for some oldies sales a few days ago !! :rolleyes::lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Almost every record that I ever bought from 'Voices From The Shadows' at the height of 'modern mania' seems to have been forgotten now :angry:

TONE

PS: On reflection, I might be exaggerating just a tad here...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Oh Yeah , lets have a few listed then ... :rolleyes:

Well, I'll work on it, but the trouble is that it's been so long since I've played most of the records I had in mind that I've forgotten them myself, never mind about anyone else...

I suppose I'm thinking about things like "My Friend Albert" by Sir Henry Ivy. or Hari Paris' "You Hit My Love" - really good records that I'd be only to happy to hear out again, instead of hearing "Insult To Betty Wright" for what feels like the millionth unwelcome time...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Correct......I did............and where did I say I had no interest at all in them Simon??.......but it doesn't come at the expense of the new stuff!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Yes very true Mark , I agree :rolleyes: but what can you do ? ..too much good stuff to play ( House and Soul .jazzy stuff ) , and only a few playing them for only a little while ? It is indeed 1979-198? all over again ..

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Good thread!

Always felt that a lot of the stuff around in the early 'Modern' scene and the late 80's / early 90's would resurface and perhaps even cross over onto the 'Northern' scene.

In some cases they have... i.e. Al Mason "Good Lovin"... but by and large, apart from the 'evergreens' the majority of modern sides were always destined to fall by the wayside for the reasons you cited, mainly that 'Modern' DJ's generally have a quest to be first with the 'next' big tune.

I'd love to see the reaction at a Northern night to some of the following, underplayed Modern 'monsters' from a bygone age.

Niteflyte "All About love"

Leon Ware "What's Your Name"

Leroy Hutson "Love Oh Love"

Randy Brown "Love Be With You"

Loleatta Holloway "Dreamin'"

Anthony White "Hey Baby"

Whispers "Gonna Love You More"

Philip Mitchell "In Her Own Way"

Ronnie Dyson "I Want To Be Where You Are"

Little Anthony "Love Was Born For Me"

Little Reuben "In The Name Of Loneliness"

Brothers Gilmore "I Feel A Song"

All Soulful uptempo thumpers.

Equally, it would be interesting to see how these more midtempo things might be received:-

Cheryl Hunter "Make Good Love To Me"

Denise Lasalle "Here I Am Again"

Mary Love "Sandbox"

100 Proof "Don't You Wake Me"

Goldie Alexander "Go Back"

In recent years we've seen Modern 'Standards' such as Ace Spectrum, Jan Jones, Corey Blake, Carl Hall, Innersection, Channel 3, Bettye Swann, Futures, Aretha "Integrity" etc becoming big 'Northern' tunes and most, if not all of the above (all but forgotten tunes) would give those particular titles a run for their money!

It still amuses (yet depresses) me when those who rate James Fountain / Ann Sexton / Voices of East Harlem / Bobby Hutton / Anderson Bros etc 'because they are 'Northern' classics' pour scorn on 70's / Modern soul.

I'm pretty sure that most 'Northern' fans would embrace more 'Modern' (as in non 60's) tracks if they were to able to hear the quality of some of the 'discarded treasures' above, played out.

The challenge is that some 'Modern' DJ's don't really know the good stuff from the bad and can't discern a good 'Soul' record from a good 'dance' record. I've been to some 'Modern' nights and can easily see why some 'Northern SOUL' fans might be put off.

As a Soul fan (first and foremost) I've never really cared when a record was made.

In the 60's I bought 60's soul.

In the 70's I bought 70's & 60's soul.

In the 80's, I bought 80's, 70's and 60's Soul and so on to this day... where I still buy and play current and 'historic' soul music.

Never done me any harm... but I've always given Modern 'Dance' records just as wide a birth as I did the 60's 'pop' stompers of 30 (ish) years ago.

Sorry. I ramble.

If the cream truly rises to the top, then the best of the bunch will/should eventually find their way back onto playlists, sometime along the way.

Sean

Social source share

The challenge is that some 'Modern' DJ's don't really know the good stuff from the bad and can't discern a good 'Soul' record from a good 'dance' record.

Isn't that also true of plenty of northern soul DJ's over the years?

Social source share

mainly that 'Modern' DJ's generally have a quest to be first with the 'next' big tune.

Again, isn't that true of many northern soul DJ's over the years? That's a general DJ'ing thing, whatever the genre or type of music played, rather than just being something associated with 'modern soul' DJ's.

Social source share

Again, isn't that true of many northern soul DJ's over the years? That's a general DJ'ing thing, whatever the genre or type of music played, rather than just being something associated with 'modern soul' DJ's.

Nowhere near as much Roger.

The Northern 'Oldies' DJ is still part of a very large club.

The point Peter was making (and I agree with) is that the 'Modern' DJ rarely dips into the 'forgotten' pile.. probably because he's always attempting to be.... errr.... 'Modern'.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Please do, be good to see you and I think your have yourself a mighty fine time thumbsup.gif

Dave

Pete used to come to Bretby and Gloucester with me. You will remember him when you see him mate !

Pete

Git ya sen there.

So many times, quality suffers at the expense of being rare on the Northern scene or New on the modern scene.

Just play good music.

Social source share

Good thread!

Denise Lasalle "Here I Am Again"

If Denise doesn't go big this year I'll eat my (other) hat.

Trawling through the early 80's 'Blackbeats' and Soul Sam's 'Modern Soul' column turns up so many tracks that (to my knowledge) never surfaced again. Maybe it was also an attempt then to be 'new' at the expense of quality- but the fact that the two biggest records at The Blackpool Luxury Soul Weekend' seem to have been The Sounds of Blackness 'Optimistic' and the new'Ten Minutes' one ( can't think who it is again now but which sounds like an early 80's indie label thingy) makes me think that apart from a relatively small minority of those determined to be 'new' whatever the cost, 'Modern' Soul is really just throwback sounds and oldies, and personally I and, it seems most of those on the dancefloors, have no problem with that.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Double Amen.

:lol::(

Wise words from Gavin.

Also, Great Avatar, mate.

Getting me in the mood for Yarmuff!

Won't be long now!!!!!!!!

:shades:

Sean

I like the Avtar despite what Mr Plumb say's. But then what does he know whistling.gif 86 Sleeps :(

Social source share

If Denise doesn't go big this year I'll eat my (other) hat.

Trawling through the early 80's 'Blackbeats' and Soul Sam's 'Modern Soul' column turns up so many tracks that (to my knowledge) never surfaced again.

Trust me ...most of those sounds are around .. A lot of people are not on the Scene now!! , Those who collected Modern 79-88 ..

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Trust me ...most of those sounds are around .. A lot of people are not on the Scene now!! , Those who collected Modern 79-88 ..

Unfortunately, I think so many collectors/D.Js had to sell up.

I am now buying again for the 4th time !

Social source share

Unfortunately, I think so many collectors/D.Js had to sell up.

I am now buying again for the 4th time !

Yes quite a few did , but lots have not .. went round a mates ,and looked through his 7'' the other week ..

Melvin Moore , Pro Fasination , Seville , Earl White Jnr , 7 Miles Per hour band , all ..in the first 200 box ..

However Greame Ellis's collection would of been nice to look over , lucky lucky Steve G hey !!

whistling.gif

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest mel brat

If we compare the old northern scene - where many of us began - old gits, stuff that was big was played for years and years and years....

Not sure about that comment. prior to 1974/5 records only seemed to have a short shelf life, possibly due to so many great sides being discovered then - plus the negative effect of bootlegging. Can't remember "oldies" being played at all, except on rare occasions, such as a club's closing night etc.! No special "Anniversary" nights that I can recall offhand. No special "Oldies Allnighters" etc. Records like Brice Coefield, Thelma Lindsey etc. were only played for a couple of months at most, first time around!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

In recent years we've seen Modern 'Standards' such as Ace Spectrum, Jan Jones, Corey Blake, Carl Hall, Innersection, Channel 3, Bettye Swann, Futures, Aretha "Integrity" etc becoming big 'Northern' tunes...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Love Test : Mel Carter

Music of Passion : Percy Larkins

What Gives You The Right : Tommy Tate

Freeway To Monterey : Arnold McCuller

Uphill Climb : James Govan

Galveston Bay : Lonnie Hill

Angel : David Sea

I Dont Play That : Shirley Brown

Where Is Love : J Blackfoot

You Blew It : Mad Lads

Bring The Beef Home To Me : Trudy Lynn

What Its All About : Veda

etc etc etc ... all still sound pretty good to me !

But perhaps a bit too soulful for today's 60's crowd

Perhaps a bit too early 80's sounding for today's modern soul crowd

And perhaps a bit too "down home" for today's Year 2K soul crowd (the kind of people who actually think tunes like Tribute to Betty are soulful :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Not sure about that comment. prior to 1974/5 records only seemed to have a short shelf life, possibly due to so many great sides being discovered then - plus the negative effect of bootlegging. Can't remember "oldies" being played at all, except on rare occasions, such as a club's closing night etc.! No special "Anniversary" nights that I can recall offhand. No special "Oldies Allnighters" etc. Records like Brice Coefield, Thelma Lindsey etc. were only played for a couple of months at most, first time around!

Exactly right imo. New sounds every week. The odd reactivation and the rare Wheel or Torch revival nights . So many new records to play, although the same record was often played more than once. As it was not an oldie though, it didn't seem to matter. :thumbsup:

Social source share

There were a lot of good tunes coming out in the mid 80's/early 90's, especially southern orientated output by old wailers/crooners such as Don Hollinger, Jeb Stuart, Clay Hammond, Lee "shot" Williams, etc.. Who emerged from hibernation in a post disco era. I'm confident that Bob Jones gave the majority of new releases airplay on his Horizon/Solar shows.

From my perspective the majority of the London venues at that time were packing the floors with the Modulations, Earl White jr, Beloyd, Flowers, Timothy Wilson, etc... We all wanted the 70's stuff. I was engulfed with getting these tunes and probably blinkered. There was the phase of Soul Sam and his "Buds", but for me the majority of these are overrated/over priced, with the exception of the likes of Cheryl Hunter, Sir-Prize and the Hotliners. This IMO meant that new releases probably didn't get a look in, were played once or twice or dj's felt that these were floor clearers (remember what was played at the Blackpool weekenders).

It's the quality releases as people have mentioned in previous posts, from around this time that will be rediscovered. The problem I'm facing with catching up (I also bought new releases at the time, but not as many as I should have) is that these records seem to fall into two categories: "Cheap as chips" or "Wow how much?".

Some that float my boat at the moment are:

Lee Morris - Weak Man or I Got Played on - Lee & Co (actually I like all three Lee & Co releases and his Starville release is nice too)

Junei - You Must Go On - Pharaohs

David Sea - Night After Night - Crown International

Sonny Holly - Cheating Aint No Good - Cash Money

Eric Rapier - Cant Stop Dreaming - Keynote

Magnificents - You Turned Me on - DT

Clay Hammond - Come Into these Arms of Love - P-Vine

J J Johnson - Don't Go Away - Bud/TCC

Malik - My Love - Bud/Fareel

Chuck Roberson - Both Bluesong releases

Chocolate Buttermilk Band - Cant Let Go - CBM

Jeb Stuart - Long Time Coming Down - Esquire

Lee "Shot" Williams - Every man Loves A Woman - O'ona

Numonics - Forever and A Day/You Lied - Hodisk

Clarence Mann - Come What May - Bama/Susie Q

Eddie Cornelius - Love Making In Your Eyes - GB

David Hudson - Just A Feeling - Waylo

Charles Wilson - Trying to Make A Wrong Thing Right - Alley Cat

Beau Williams - Give You Up - Capitol

Quinn Golden - Cant Live Without You - Traction

Lanier & Co - Larc LP

Bobby Jonz - Win Your Love - Dispo

Crosswinds - Fire - Harbor City

(Roy) Galloway - Hide Away - Awe-Some

StanleyWilliams - Count The Days - Hotline

There were some good releases in the early 90's such as:

Matilda Jones' three Justice releases, Rov've - Go by what you tell me (I was never a big fan of Ron Keith), Ernie Lee Banks still puts a smile on my Face, Prince Gideon, Waters - What's on Your mind - Waterwheel, Alfreda James - That Ain't Love - Lake Michigan

Cheers,

John

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There were a lot of good tunes coming out in the mid 80's/early 90's, especially southern orientated output by old wailers/crooners such as Don Hollinger, Jeb Stuart, Clay Hammond, Lee "shot" Williams, etc.. Who emerged from hibernation in a post disco era. I'm confident that Bob Jones gave the majority of new releases airplay on his Horizon/Solar shows.

Some that float my boat at the moment are:

Lee Morris - Weak Man or I Got Played on - Lee & Co (actually I like all three Lee & Co releases and his Starville release is nice too)

Lanier & Co - Larc LP

...a great list that will have me scurrrying around in the attic all weekend! These are excatly the kind of tunes I was referring to in my earlier posting about "Forgotten Modern Soul" . I;d rather hear any and all of these played out than some shitty remix of "Let's Get It On"..

TONE

Social source share

Lanier & Co - Larc LP

Matilda Jones' three Justice releases, Rov've - Go by what you tell me (I was never a big fan of Ron Keith), Ernie Lee Banks still puts a smile on my Face, Prince Gideon, Waters - What's on Your mind - Waterwheel, Alfreda James - That Ain't Love - Lake Michigan

Cheers,

John

Excellent stuff John.

David Sea - Night After Night - Never been out of my playbox since I bought it when new.

J J Johnson - Don't Go Away - As above. Also Love the flipside "Money Without Love"

Jeb Stuart - Long Time Coming Down - Crikey, Loved this forever. Never seen anyone else tipping it. Great 'deepie. Not really for the dancefloor though?

David Hudson - Just A Feeling - Spot on. Always felt this had HUGE potential. Saw him sing it live. A great double side 45.

Charles Wilson - Trying to Make A Wrong Thing Right - Another superb double sider.

Bobby Jonz - Win Your Love - Massive!

Crosswinds - Fire - Another that's ripe and ready!

StanleyWilliams - Count The Days - Just perfection! Never did pick up a 12" of this (the Long version).

Kicked off a spot a couple of months ago with Ernie Lee Banks. Certainly got the crowds attention!!

Great taste mate!

Sean

Social source share

Kicked off a spot a couple of months ago with Ernie Lee Banks. Certainly got the crowds attention!!

Sean

A complete comedy record and vocal, absolutely hideous. laugh.gif

Social source share

This is a good thread and its good to see some forgotten sounds listed. Why, though, do some contributers see the need to slag off certain tunes at the same time as praising others? Its all a matter of preference - some people like the Paul Simpson remix of Lets Get It On and The Waters - Whats on Your Mind, me for one!! The fact is that Lets Get It On works better in a club environment, which is why its played out more often. This probably a political remark in itself but can't we keep the politics out of the forum and just get on with enjoying the music?

Cheers

Steve.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This is a good thread and its good to see some forgotten sounds listed. Why, though, do some contributers see the need to slag off certain tunes at the same time as praising others? Its all a matter of preference - some people like the Paul Simpson remix of Lets Get It On and The Waters - Whats on Your Mind, me for one!! The fact is that Lets Get It On works better in a club environment, which is why its played out more often. This probably a political remark in itself but can't we keep the politics out of the forum and just get on with enjoying the music?

Cheers

Steve.

....I'd enjoy it a lot more if people didn't feel the need to play the aforementioned shitty remix of Let's Get It On' every time I go to a modern night tongue.gif ...

It's not 'politics' to say I don't like this, it's just my opinion. This being a forum, I'm entitled to express it, as are you yours Although to be fair I've never been crazy about the original mix of "Let's Get it On" either...

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was not so much about the playing of "Let's Take It Off" and "Insult To Betty Wright" but, rather, that there are great long lists of neglected goodies - and many others beyond those posted up here - that deserve turntable resurrection, rather than having to resort to playing it safe. The best DJ's are still those that bend the boundaries rather than stay safely within them. That's why I'll always have more respect for any turntable guardian who clears the floor with, say, an attempt to revitalise Ernie Lee Banks or his ilk than anyone who fills it with the play-safe inanity of DJ Genesis...

TONE (WHO OWNS MANY PAUL SIMPSON REMIXES, BUT NOT THAT ONE!)

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Just a few that still sound good to me

Robert Thomas-Crazy about your love-Hawk

David Emmanuel-Giving up on love-White Lodge

Odyssey & Co-A whisper away-Cam

Cut Glass feat Ortheis Barnes-Rising cost of love/Sometime soon-20th Century

Bobby Wilson-Here is where the love is-Chain

Margi Coleman-Searchin'-Priority

Brian Powell-I think of you-Talkin Jazz

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Just a few that still sound good to me

Robert Thomas-Crazy about your love-Hawk

David Emmanuel-Giving up on love-White Lodge

Odyssey & Co-A whisper away-Cam

Cut Glass feat Ortheis Barnes-Rising cost of love/Sometime soon-20th Century

Bobby Wilson-Here is where the love is-Chain

Margi Coleman-Searchin'-Priority

Brian Powell-I think of you-Talkin Jazz

Some great tracks there Dave, particularly the last two. The 90s, particularly mid-to-late, was a massively rich vein of quality soul music out of the USA but I believe possibly the change in format to primarily CD has played (and still does play) a big part in so much of what was released both back then, and even released today, going un-noticed on a scene which has it's base in playing music from vinyl, which I think is a bit of a shame really. That's merely an observation, not a criticism of the rare soul ethos, by the way. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Some great tracks there Dave, particularly the last two. The 90s, particularly mid-to-late, was a massively rich vein of quality soul music out of the USA but I believe possibly the change in format to primarily CD has played (and still does play) a big part in so much of what was released both back then, and even released today, going un-noticed on a scene which has it's base in playing music from vinyl, which I think is a bit of a shame really. That's merely an observation, not a criticism of the rare soul ethos, by the way. thumbsup.gif

No totally agree, people come round here to buy stuff and I often say you must hear this or that on CD. Comment is usually love it but CD!!!!!!!!

Have a killer CD from Grady Washington (Gino's brother) about 5 years old everyone who hears it love's but few takers. Sounds very Keith Washington. Have a bunch of things I got from distributor about 8 years ago, many real hard to find, just sitting on them till there time comes.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

A complete comedy record and vocal, absolutely hideous. :lol:

Are you really having a laugh Roger... or are you serious?

ELB is a Classic Modern Dancer with BALLS mate!

Knocks spots off many 'big' modern records for its sheer POWER!

Will definately be played (by me at least) as an antidote to some of the wimpier 'Modern' tunes that get spun... and when I dropped it at 'Soul Intent' a few months ago it was easily the top tune of the night, for dance floor reaction and applause. Literally had some of the 'Modern - Newbie' crowd rushing to the decks.

A good time Soul Dancer, I reckon!

Sean

Social source share

Are you really having a laugh Roger... or are you serious?

ELB is a Classic Modern Dancer with BALLS mate!

Knocks spots off many 'big' modern records for its sheer POWER!

Will definately be played (by me at least) as an antidote to some of the wimpier 'Modern' tunes that get spun... and when I dropped it at 'Soul Intent' a few months ago it was easily the top tune of the night, for dance floor reaction and applause. Literally had some of the 'Modern - Newbie' crowd rushing to the decks.

A good time Soul Dancer, I reckon!

Sean

No I'm not kidding Sean, I think it's crap, I actually laughed out loud the first time heard it, which was after I bought it 'blind' on the recommendation of a dealer in the early 90s. One on which we'll have to agree to disagree mate. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert