Playing boots in the 21st Century...

Mike

On 25/05/2020 at 20:55, Greedy Mick said:

Off the  top of my head i can't think of the labels but I bet if we were stood outside a niter chatting away we would.  And at a niter it matters what its played on otherwise someone can buy 100 bootlegs and play things that someone else has took years to collect and it's that passion that matters 

Hi Mick,

I would be interested to know if you think the passion is for the music; having the sound on the original vinyl; the exclusiveness of having it on original vinyl or something else?  

With regards to knowing the labels, does it matter?  Surely the idea of a night out is to enjoy yourself.

Regards,

Neil

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

On 25/05/2020 at 20:55, Greedy Mick said:

Off the  top of my head i can't think of the labels but I bet if we were stood outside a niter chatting away we would.  And at a niter it matters what its played on otherwise someone can buy 100 bootlegs and play things that someone else has took years to collect and it's that passion that matters 

Totally agree.  The nighter scene is and should be ovo. It's not up for discussion.  As a predominantly nighter person since 75 that's the etiquette I and the rest of my generation where brought up with.  The soul nights that I attend tend to have the same ethos so I'm happy with that. I'm not a soul snob in any way shape or form as I love all styles of soul music 60,s through new releases it just that I have sort of drifted away from the let's say top 500 type venue's only because ive never really left the scene and had a break like most and I don't want to hear the same records all the time.  Not knocking the people out there that are happy with that,  it's there choice so it should be respected.  Enjoy the path that you have chosen without prejudice but with passion.  

Social source share

On 01/06/2020 at 08:18, Soulman58 said:

Hi Mick,

I would be interested to know if you think the passion is for the music; having the sound on the original vinyl; the exclusiveness of having it on original vinyl or something else?  

With regards to knowing the labels, does it matter?  Surely the idea of a night out is to enjoy yourself.

Regards,

Neil

Yes the night is to enjoy yourself!!   and for me it is the combination of the music and what label it is on . This is the only music that I have loved since I was  12. And as a collector as well it is important to me to get the original if I can afford it.  I'm not saying anyone else has to agree with me we all like different things.  I wouldn't like to go for a nice meal and ask for a decent single grape shiraz and be served a house red . Since my 2 strokes I have forgotten so much about the music that it is like a new learning curve for me again but that's the way life is.  Hope this helps 

Regards Mick

Social source share

1 hour ago, Greedy Mick said:

Yes the night is to enjoy yourself!!   and for me it is the combination of the music and what label it is on . This is the only music that I have loved since I was  12. And as a collector as well it is important to me to get the original if I can afford it.  I'm not saying anyone else has to agree with me we all like different things.  I wouldn't like to go for a nice meal and ask for a decent single grape shiraz and be served a house red . Since my 2 strokes I have forgotten so much about the music that it is like a new learning curve for me again but that's the way life is.  Hope this helps 

Regards Mick

Hi Mick,

That is fine and not much beats a good red!!  As I stopped attending club nights ages back I'm just always interested to hear peoples views whichever side of the fence they are in.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Greedy Mick said:

Regards Mick

Hi Mick.

Out of interest how do you know what label it is on?

Unless you check every record that is played on the night you really do not have a clue that the record you have just heard is on an original or not! Even then the label could be fake so in reality you would have to check the scratching or the marks on the record to be 100% sure.

If a DJ plays a record that you believe to be an original but is in fact a carver/boot would it really make a big diference to you?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert