Richard

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If it's soul or r & b records, I've got a book that Billboard put out in the 80's, complete rhythm & blues chart placings 1942-1988, info on the artists etc, I used to work for a company called Music Master and we bought this book from the States for reference and I remember it costing a ridiculous amount of money...anyway when the company got taken over I nicked it whistling.gif

so if you want anything looking up I can dig it out.

Social source share

Ta Pete, it's only Time Will Take Care Of Everything by Lou Rawls on Philly Intl. Just that I noticed it's on his greatest hits and can't see it charted in UK in the British Hit Singles book so just wondered where it got in the US

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/sounds/exists...E_OF_EVERYTHING

They Probably shifted 000's of them but was just curious thumbsup.gif

Edited by richard
Social source share

Ta Pete, it's only Time Will Take Care Of Everything by Lou Rawls on Philly Intl. Just that I noticed it's on his greatest hits and can't see it charted in UK in the British Hit Singles book so just wondered where it got in the US

https://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/...8623848-2240716

Do you know whats on the other side - this only lists one side, there are 10 chart entries on Phil Int

Social source share

Time Will Take Care Of Everything - lou rawls - philly international

13381 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

Thats better you can hear it properly now

Thanks Paul, but still can't make out how if it wasn't released stateside and was a non-hit in the UK how on earth does it end up on a greatest hits??

Edited by richard
Social source share

Time Will Take Care Of Everything - lou rawls - philly international

13381"]

Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

Thats better you can hear it properly now

Thanks Paul, but still can't make out how if it wasn't released stateside and was a non-hit in the UK how on earth does it end up on a greatest hits??

Beats me, album filler? Wishful thinking by the record co?

Is it the next "See you when I get there"?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Don't see why not, it's a nice tune and must have sold less than See You When I Git There as I think this one is UK only from the looks of things

So many must have overlooked this single as it's on that greatest hits

What do others think???

Edited by richard
Social source share

Don't see why not, it's a nice tune and must have sold less than See You When I Git There as I think this one is UK only from the looks of things

So many must have overlooked this single as it's on that greatest hits

What do others think???

Well I think it's ACE Richard! Lou was the man! Another slice of Philly that deserves to be played imo.

steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/sounds/exists...E_OF_EVERYTHING

They Probably shifted 000's of them but was just curious :thumbsup:

This is simply one of my favourites. It came out in the UK in 1979 and was played (from the US album) at The Rum Runner Jazz/Funk nights in Birmingham, as a new release. The record has such incredibly uplifting lyrics (as the title suggests) that it's guaranteed to raise your spirits when you're feeling down - listen particularly to the break when the backing drops away to allow a call and response pattern to emerge between Lou and the backing singers. Then, when Rawls comes back into rhythm to repeat the chorus, it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! The opposing feelings of pathos and sheer excitement this generates make you want to cry and laugh at the same time! (what Black American churchgoers call getting "upset") and is surely the very definition of Soul music. Why people ignore such tremendous records simply because they're "not rare" in order to chase what are, frankly, mediocre items, is way beyond me. Go out and hear it (in full) everyone. A record that will lift your spirits without depleting your bank balance!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

This is simply one of my favourites. It came out in the UK in 1979 and was played (from the US album) at The Rum Runner Jazz/Funk nights in Birmingham, as a new release. The record has such incredibly uplifting lyrics (as the title suggests) that it's guaranteed to raise your spirits when you're feeling down - listen particularly to the break when the backing drops away to allow a call and response pattern to emerge between Lou and the backing singers. Then, when Rawls comes back into rhythm to repeat the chorus, it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! The opposing feelings of pathos and sheer excitement this generates make you want to cry and laugh at the same time! (what Black American churchgoers call getting "upset") and is surely the very definition of Soul music. Why people ignore such tremendous records simply because they're "not rare" in order to chase what are, frankly, mediocre items, is way beyond me. Go out and hear it (in full) everyone. A record that will lift your spirits without depleting your bank balance!

Sure beat the sh*t out of me saying "ACE" What a great narrative to a record mel ..... spot on mate!

steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Sure beat the sh*t out of me saying "ACE" What a great narrative to a record mel ..... spot on mate!

steve

Thanks! - (I do SO get carried away sometimes!) :thumbsup: "ACE" it is though!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Tell you what Mel the louder I played it the more I was getting hooked :thumbsup: . And yes it's very feel good and uplifting.

I was having a search around as I very much like the Philly sound and came accross a soundbyte and thought that sounds great, so ordered a copy straight away.

Edited by richard
Social source share

Yes, this was UK ONLY. 1979 release. We've sold out in August this year, a few smart buyers got then for a huge £4.00 each.

John, in my book possibly the best £4 they've ever spent for a great vocal, regardless of if its rare or not

Edited by richard
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Beats me, album filler? Wishful thinking by the record co?

Is it the next "See you when I get there"?

Cheers Paul

Yeah. Earth, Wind & Fire's first "Best of..." album included two previously unreleased tracks! :shades: (though they later came out as B-sides)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Looks like the album this is from didn't sell that over well either, apparently didn't get in the top 75 in the UK and sat outside the top 40 in the US and only for a very short period of time.

Maybe 1979 was a bit of a blip year for Lou

Did you know that Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" NEVER MADE THE UK ALBUM CHARTS??! (Despite spending well over a year in the Blues & Soul LP chart) What a disgrace.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I was having a search around as I very much like the Philly sound...

Hope you've got the first Jean Carn album then! ("Jean Carn", 1976) Gotta be one of the best Soul/Jazz/Philly albums ever. All of the songs on it are simply superb!

Social source share

Did you know that Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" NEVER MADE THE UK ALBUM CHARTS??! (Despite spending well over a year in the Blues & Soul LP chart) What a disgrace.

Blimey, yes it didn't enter the UK chart top 75 untill 1999. never knew that before

I haven't got the Jean Carn LP but will look for one then, have got Was That All It Was and If You Wanna Go Back on single though

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hope you've got the first Jean Carn album then! ("Jean Carn", 1976) Gotta be one of the best Soul/Jazz/Philly albums ever. All of the songs on it are simply superb!
thumbsup.gif:lol::(:(:shades:
Spot on Mr brat, don't worry Richard shouldn"t cost you more than a tenner.

Cheers Paul

PS Don"t forget her other 3 Philly LP's either!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:thumbsup::thumbsup::lol::Dthumbsup.gif
Spot on Mr brat, don't worry Richard shouldn"t cost you more than a tenner.

Cheers Paul

PS Don"t forget her other 3 Philly LP's either!

Yes, but the first is easily the best I reckon! (Dexter Wansel produced) Actually wasn't very impressed with material the on the second album, apart from "Don't Let It Go...". Rest were mighty fine albums too though. :(

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Blimey, yes it didn't enter the UK chart top 75 untill 1999. never knew that before

That's probably about the time the divs and yuppies started braying;

"Mervin Goy? Oh, I've ALWAYS regarded him as one of my AB-SO-LUTE favourites

dah-ling! 'Bought that CD when it first came out, back in '84....or was it '86...?" :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Yes, but the first is easily the best I reckon! (Dexter Wansel produced) Actually wasn't very impressed with material the on the second album, apart from "Don't Let It Go...". Rest were mighty fine albums too though.
:thumbsup:

Love 'em all equally meself Mr brat, then again I am a bit biased when it comes to Ms Carne.

Me and Mrs Shrew were lucky enough to spend some time with Dexter Wansell in Philly about 18 months ago, a lovely bloke with some amazing stories and of course a musical genius!

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Love 'em all equally meself Mr brat, then again I am a bit biased when it comes to Ms Carne.

Me and Mrs Shrew were lucky enough to spend some time with Dexter Wansell in Philly about 18 months ago, a lovely bloke with some amazing stories and of course a musical genius!

Cheers Paul

Wow. Next time you see him, tell him that "Life On Mars" is easily one of my favourite jazz albums, and I still play it frequently after 30 years! (I have two vinyl copies plus a CD!) :thumbsup:

(P.S. You can call me "Mel" !) :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert