6ts 100 Club Jan 20th All Nighter Cancelled

• Replies 151
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Haven't been a regular since the mid-80's and can't remember the last time I when. But I still proudly carry my white membership card in my wallet everywhere I go.

It is bad news, but whatever new venue it moves to, the spirit will move on with the people who attend, it's all about the atmosphere people create.

One thing I used to really hate and it still hasn't been fixed it that 1 metre square of raised wooden replacement dancefloor on the lefthand side in front of the stage, near the piano, used to drive me crazy. And it's still there!

Good luck Ady in whatever you decide to do.

TTM

Social source share

Havent been for about 9 years, but me & Sarah have been being to go for ages. When we won tickets for it at the Stafford Alldayer we were well chuffed. Planned to go in December but Sarah double booked herself & we cant make the one next week. Decided only this week to go to the one in March, had been looking at trains but not booked anything. Still thinking of going & possibly driving. Can anyone give me any info on what Jacks is like, how easy it is to find if we did drive, that kind of stuff?

Ady, I take it our free tickets still stand at the new venue?.

Sad news, hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:

Kirstyx

Social source share

Regret to say that I never had the opportunity to enjoy the 100 Club experience but it is clear from, not just this forum, but, the many articles, interviews,acknowledgements, recordings etc over the years that Ady and his fellow colaborators, have left a legacy on the scene as important as anything that had gone before and which has been celebrated on these pages on many, many ocassions.

It is to be hoped that this is not the demise of a hallowed institution just yet and that if, for whatever reason, the venue has to change, the spirit and enthusiasm of the 100 Club is carried forward to the next location. Lets hope so.

Social source share

:thumbsup:

A huge blow - I'm stunned! :(

As said above, it is the people and the music that make the 6t's events as special as they are, and there's no doubt that the Niters will continue to enjoy the support of Soulies from across the UK and beyond as they have before.

Such a shame that the new owner can see fit to wipe the slate clean and just disregard 27 years of hard work, dedication, determination through the lean times and above all, the fun and enjoyment for countless thousands of people.

I expect he thinks that, as a club owner, he knows best. The nob! wanker.gif

Congrats on securing an alternative venue so quickly Ady - you will be taking the people, and with them the true spirit of the 6t's niters with you.

ATB

Neil Jones :wicked::shades:

Well said that man :hypo:

Social source share

Probably the most iconic venue in the UK - not just because of the 6t's allnighters - I personally used to get a kick going to a club that has crossed over so many genres of music from Jazz to the Pistols to Northern Soul.

The hundred was the venue - the 6t's rhythm and soul society is the music. I am so glad I can look back and say I went there - but before we all get too hung up on the venue and turn this thread into an obituary, just remember that even though the nighters at the 100 may be gone, the music continues and I for one will enjoy it just as much wherever I have to go to hear it

In the words of that Hamilton fella, baby don't you weep - Off we go to Jacks at London Bridge - bring it on! :thumbsup::wicked::shades:

Here's to the future Ady :hypo:

Mike Bolderson

Social source share

Havent been for about 9 years, but me & Sarah have been being to go for ages. When we won tickets for it at the Stafford Alldayer we were well chuffed. Planned to go in December but Sarah double booked herself & we cant make the one next week. Decided only this week to go to the one in March, had been looking at trains but not booked anything. Still thinking of going & possibly driving. Can anyone give me any info on what Jacks is like, how easy it is to find if we did drive, that kind of stuff?

Ady, I take it our free tickets still stand at the new venue?.

Sad news, hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:

Kirstyx

Of course, it was two tickets for the 6TS all nighter and that's what you'll get at Jack's in March.

I'll give out more venue details over the next couple of weeks, but it's near to London Bridge mainline and tube.

Ady

Social source share

I haven't been down for a couple of years but when I lived "up north" we used to travel down every month ... I'm speechless ... Ady you must be gutted but these things normally happen for a reason ... I just can't think of a damn good one at the moment :wicked:

I hope your new venue takes off well for you :thumbsup:

Mandy x

Social source share

Of course, it was two tickets for the 6TS all nighter and that's what you'll get at Jack's in March.

I'll give out more venue details over the next couple of weeks, but it's near to London Bridge mainline and tube.

Ady

My personal recollection of the 100 Club is this:

In 1985, as a kid barely out of high school in Sydney Australia, I decided to spend my life savings (a short and young life at that point!) and buy a plane ticket so that I could make a pilgrimmage over to the other side of the world to the 100 Club and sample the rare soul allnighter experience. To you lot, that's a journey of 12,000 miles and $1,600 Aussie bucks , just for a night out !!!

Don't know if Ady remembers me, but I ring him up out of the blue when I arrived in London and he very kindly looked after me and put me on the door on the night.

Ended up meeting Ady (and sold him some Aussie vinyl pressings) and also being introduced to wonderful people such as Ian Clarke and this mad Scotsman with glazed eyes who frightened the life out of me - his name was Keb somebody :wicked: !!!!!! But boy he could dance !!!

Still, I think Ady and the gang must have thought I was mad travelling all that way ....

All went by way too quickly, but that one night at the 100 Club remains one of the greatest experiences of my life ... that same week went to the Fuction At The Junction and the next week to Stafford Top Of The World , but there's another story there .... :thumbsup:

I have a funny feeling though that the 6T's nighters will actually go from strength to strength from here, a re-birth of sorts, "Bigger and Better" as the song goes ... :shades:

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

I used to be a regular many moons ago in the early 90s but i havent been since. Still it strikes a heavy heart to see a scene icon like the 100 club go down. I truly hope you have as much success with the new venture Ady! Ken looks like you will be looking for a new backdoor(y) maybe time for you to come back oop north?

Social source share

Ady

Nice one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Christ dunno what to say.. It's one of those things you'll think will be there forever. One of those things you take for granted & never go enough. I went to the very first one. I never dreamt it would set me on a musical journy that's taken me where i am now.. Ady i'm so gutted mate. All the people i've met down there over the years. Karen, Thumbs, Mick Smith, Jon Buck, Keb fck me the list is endless. It's like a part of me has gone. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

Just want to add the "continental" point of view....100 club was for myself and most Spaniards on the scene the "holy grial", far easier to arrive to than any allnighter up north....personally it was my first northern soul allnighter ever, and was the starting point to turn from "mod into soul" to "soulie with mod roots"...I was a regular in 94 and 99, the couple of years I was living in the smoke...even was working in cloakroom and bar in the jazz sessions...all my support to Ady, and big thanks for all the good times I´ve had over there, it was really special for me...all the best with the new venue, I´ll be there for sure in 2007, keep on soulin!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Needless to say I am gutted.

But as I had just bought my train ticket not 20 minutes before Robbie phoned to tell me the awful news, I am wondering. Anyone else in the same boat? Un-refundable train tickets? Fancy bringing along some CDs and we can dance in the doorway, at least til the sun comes up.

Social source share

My few visits were many moons ago now, back in the days when it was the only worthwhile event anywhere in the country. Margaret never got to go and we had talked about a weekend in the smoke to correct that I sincerley hope that still comes off at some point in the future. I hope this proves to be a pause in preceedings.

Social source share

only went about ten times, will always remember talking to hoagy lands in the office by the bogs after he sung there on general election night, my fucking hero! never forget it,, i know quite a few regulars and they will be absolutley GUTTED, but dont stop going out people the scene needs all the right people to KEEP ON KEEPING ON! congates to mr c for keeping it going so long, great achievemnt

Social source share

Guest Catfish

<...The hundred was the venue - the 6t's rhythm and soul society is the music. I am so glad I can look back and say I went there - but before we all get too hung up on the venue and turn this thread into an obituary, just remember that even though the nighters at the 100 may be gone, the music continues and I for one will enjoy it just as much wherever I have to go to hear it

In the words of that Hamilton fella, baby don't you weep - Off we go to Jacks at London Bridge - bring it on! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here's to the future Ady :D

Mike Bolderson >>>

The quote above says it all and thaks for that- we need to stay positive and move on.

However I think many will be upset that our club will no longer be in the 100 Club - seemingly ever again- I think this kind of thing was threatened a few years ago but a last minute reprieve came through. This was my first 'soul do' (as opposed to Mod do's!- although some would say the 100 club IS a Mod do) in 1990 which makes me a soul baby compared to many, however been going 18 years so walking in there felt like coming home every time. Although the Christmas do wasn't a niter it still feels like an appropriate way to say goodbye, with many dear friends there and also all those familiar faces that you don't necessarily ever talk with- but you know they'll be there, dancing in more or less the same place- every month- you could almost draw a map (I think we once did- in a silly post allnighter moment).

I remain ever grateful for my ladies night guest spot which is the zenith of my DJ resume.

I've lived in a few different places .. memories of the last train from Southampton- mini from Leamington Spa, night bus from Ealing, scooter from Forest Hill, sitting in Waterloo tube waiting for the first train home... it's not always been easy to get there and it was sometimes lonely- ... to now having met so many great people through it- it kind of connects my life together as through all the changes it's been a constant. Thanks to Charlie for the lift in the 2CV the first time I went (sorry I have never said it since) even though I had to sit on the ridge in the middle of the back seat all the way home, and thanks to Ady for all the fun we all had.. long may it continue!

And I hope the new place has a pillar to dance behind right in the middle and a weird square hatch thing to the left of it... can we arrange that?

Def. be there in March, lookin forward to it.

Michele Spratt (Katzler)

Social source share

I was DJing last night and Trickster passed on the news - just shock (even though I was only a very occational visitor). Gutted I didn't go more often - just assumed it would ALWAYS be there.

Latter on I played Spyder Turner and both of us said - never gonna hear it at the 100 Club again. Very sad.

Gonna miss the feeling you get walking down the stairs, hearing the music, magic.

Deep breath.

Still it's closer to home now so I've no reason not to make it much more regularly. And I will. Onwards and upwards indeed.

Social source share

I along with so many others will miss the walk down them stairs... :thumbsup: ..The 100 was a place of magic and where dreams came true..Thanks Ady and all the other djs/punters for giving me some of the best nights of my soul life..I and many others had a special space,mine was on the stage,right hand corner next to Skinhead Shaun..Met many great people down there over the years,some not with us anymore..Lets hope we can sample some more 60ts soul heaven in 2007 at the new venue...

regards

steve

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

So sad to hear, gutted.

I've often said to promoters who have asked me to DJ on the same night as the 100 club "I'd rather not do that date because it clashes with the 100 club and I like to dance there, any chance of another date?". I think that sums it up for me.

It probably deserves an article in one of the broad sheets, Sunday Times, Guardian maybe.

I'm never one for over emotional sentimentality though, it has to be onwards and upwards. It's the music that is more important than the venue and while we've got Butch, Ady + all the DJs who contribute to the event, turning up and spinning some amazing tunes for the dancers it doesn't matter where the venue is!

Keep on keeping on Ady. We'll all be with you whereever you take it! :dance:

Social source share

Just like to echo all views posted, a bit of a shock and a bit of a wake up call, to hear the number one nighter has lost its venue in such a abrupt way

Had some great times down there, and as this site has always been about events like the 100 Club ( to be honest am sure over the years it has to be the most featured and talked about event on here - try the search) am sure that long time members will know where coming from when say that the fact that you are reading this site in 2007 is down to such events.

Anyway sounds like its not all doom and gloom, with word of venue and plans and such and hopefully be making that trip again soon

mike

site stuff - merged both threads that were going

Social source share

Now decided to get a hotel for the niter in march so that we can make a weekend of it. I think I have found a hotel nearby, but before I book it can anyone who know's the area confirm it is nearby & that I havent got the wrong venue or anything :thumbsup::ohmy: . It is the Premier Travel Inn on Tower Bridge Road, SE1.

Social source share

Now decided to get a hotel for the niter in march so that we can make a weekend of it. I think I have found a hotel nearby, but before I book it can anyone who know's the area confirm it is nearby & that I havent got the wrong venue or anything :thumbsup::ohmy: . It is the Premier Travel Inn on Tower Bridge Road, SE1.

Hi Kirsty

Tower Bridge Road is within a short walk of Jacks which is in Crucifix Lane SE1 (where the Bishop of Southwark turned up a little the worse for wear).

Social source share

Hi Kirsty

Tower Bridge Road is within a short walk of Jacks which is in Crucifix Lane SE1 (where the Bishop of Southwark turned up a little the worse for wear).

Great stuff, will book it. It might be where the queen from Leeds & the queen from York turn up worse for wear :thumbsup::shades:

Social source share

one of london's oldest pubs is nearby too, the george in borough high road. perfect for a pre nighter tipple. jacks is fantastic. the puuuurfect all-nighter venue in my book.

I missed the final night(s) at wigan, so I feel pretty privileged to have attended the 100 club on december 9th last year. little did we know... ady, you were a gent that night. the warm welcome you extended by spanish friends warmed the cockles of my heart, I'll tell you. best of luck with the new venture.

cheers

M

Social source share

...100 club was the starting point to turn from "mod into soul" to "soulie with mod roots".

Yeh, yeh... You're still a mod, Dani! :D

---------------------

This is pretty shocking news. I have some amazing memories of 6Ts at 100 Club and it still hasn't quite sunk in yet that it may be gone for good. But i'm in full agreement with that feisty Vixen, Jo (Refer to post here). Onwards and upwards!! And on a positive note, the earlier 10pm start is rather nice.

Good luck Ady! :thumbsup:

Social source share

TAKEN ME 10 YEARS TO FIND A DECENT PARKING SPOT NEAR THE 100 CLUB

HAVE TO START AGAIN AND LEAVE 6 HOURS EARLY TO FIND A NEW SPOT READY FOR

THE NEXT 6TS ALL NIGHTER

AND JUST AS I WAS WEARING ADY DOWN TO GIVE ME A SECOND CHANCE

BUT ADY IS THE MAN AND WILL BATTLE THROUGH

-----------------"6TS"---------------------------------

-------LIVE ON AND WILL PROSPER--------------

FOLLOW AND HE WILL LEADETH TO THE PLACE OF QUALITY SOUL

Social source share

Many fine sentiments, all of which I agree with, but if we mean what we say, let's make the first night at Jacks the best 6ts night - ever ! There's many that can't be with us but let's make sure we toast them in style at the start of the next chapter.

We didn't go to the 100 coz they played country n western - it's the music that counts !

Let's end the wake and start the new beginning - erm they do sell incohol there don't they ?

Taff

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Yes, there's nothing like going down those stairs to the 100 club allnighter, no other allnighter like it anywhere, and dancing the night away to tunes you don't get to hear much else where :dance: :thumbsup:

Hoping that you will be able to do something down there in the future, 9.00pm to 3.00am sounds fine with me :D

As long as it stays open that's all that matters to me, nothing to do with the allnighters, but the amount of bands I've seen there and all the sorts of music I have the pleasure to experience.

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Such fond memories of the 100 Club !

The new venue is just great and will suit 6Ts down to the ground IMVHO.

Onward and upward, a new chapter in the story. Thats all :D

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Oh bloody hell.

You know that corner in front of the little artist room at Jacks, the one to the left as you look at the main stage?

That's Mod Corner that is (we baggsied it at JTs birthday party) so I hope nobody had any plans for a wholesale reorganisation of the crowd seating/standing plans.

The poor stage-sitters will need to buy some stilts.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Oh bloody hell.

You know that corner in front of the little artist room at Jacks, the one to the left as you look at the main stage?

That's Mod Corner that is (we baggsied it at JTs birthday party) so I hope nobody had any plans for a wholesale reorganisation of the crowd seating/standing plans.

The poor stage-sitters will need to buy some stilts.

Can Trickester still dance on the stage?

Or will it need a human ladder to get him up there?

Social source share

Fellow Soul Sourcers, I just sent the following out to all my mailing list, it speaks for itself.

It is with great sadness and a fair amount of shock that I must tell you that all future 6TS 100 Club all nighters are cancelled for the time being and that includes the forthcoming Saturday January 20th one.

The reasons are mainly due to a change of promoter on Saturday nights at the club so that those functions go on until 3 am and there is not enough time for all nighters afterwards.

However the 6TS Rhythm & Soul Society is nothing if not resilient and I know Randy Cozens and everyone involved in the club in its 27 year history wouldn't want us to give up our legacy to London's soul scene with this set back. I am therefore happy to announce that through the generosity of club owner Johnny Gammel we have acquired his excellent "Jack's" club at London Bridge for the next scheduled nighter Saturday 10th March from 10pm-7am.

This is the place that Johnny Timlin celebrated his 40th birthday in last summer and everyone agreed that it was ideal for our music. Since then Andy Brazil and Tony Smith II have run their successful R&B "Hard As Nails" all nighters there and they will continue to be on the first Fridays of each month. We will be aiming to fill in the rest of the year as close to the 100 Club 2007 dates as possible, though avoiding Andy and Tony's weekends. The club is a short walk from London Bridge tube and mainline station which is on the Thameslink line and easily accessible from the north and south of London.

In addition there should be more 6TS events at the 100 Club as some Saturday nights from 9pm-3am will probably be available to us later in the year; so we'll still be dancing to Northern Soul on that hallowed minefield of a floor. There is even an outside chance we may get a nighter licence back but we're not holding our breath.

The new Jack's nighter will feature warm up DJs up to midnight when we then kick off a new era of 6TS rare soul music with Butch, Mick Smith, myself and other top DJs to be confirmed; Keith Money will be on his rig and not available until the April 14th nighter.

Also due to the cancellation of the January 100 Club nighter the warm up event earlier in the evening at the Sols Arms will also be cancelled.

Of course the original 6TS club started in Covent Garden in 1979 and moved all over the capital until finally settling on the 100 Club for all nighters some two years later. We're used to being itinerants from the early days and each time we have moved, the club went from strength to strength and I'm sure that will be the case again.

I'll do another mail out in a week or so, with more details of location, car parking etc, and will also put the new club address and directions and DJs up on www.6ts.info and the great Soul Source rare soul discussion group.

Ady

Stunned & shocked...............my little piece of soul heaven...............jeez cant beleive that this has happened whilst Im living away too......................Ady good luck with everything, where ever the 6ts end up, on my return to blighty I'll be there for sure, whilst this is a legendary venue at the end of the day its about the music,

Russ

Social source share

Guest MonkeyMod

Like it. See you there.

Social source share

You'll have to put your beer towels on the seats first then.

PS News of the ongoing 6TS saga (that's not who's sponsoring us now, by the way) is on the other 6TS thread.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

No place like the 100 club for allnighters.

If it does not continue there, there is no other place like it no matter what anyone says, like to say thanks to Ian Clarke, Irish Greg and Shifty for the tunes I wanted to hear :rolleyes:

S

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert