Will Smoking Ban Improve Venues?

Blake H

For it or against it? Either way it will soon be a reality, I guess its going to be the smokers verses the non-smokers and as an ex-smoker (usually the most critical) Im all for it. Having just attended the Hilton weekender in Blackpool we commented that next year all the smokers we could see (and that was quite a lot) would have to go outside at the next one in 2008.

Pity the smokers if your venue is up a few flights of stairs as some are. How will this impact at your venue??

BH

After putting on a new venue Saturday that was non smoking and on the end of a pier, I can speak from a small point of perspective The smokers all congregated on the stairs outside with the waves breaking over the promenade. I will give them there dues, most did'nt moan except that they were freezing.

The night was worse because of it, if anythng it was better, the venue was packed some have alredy commented on the fact that there was non of the eye itching or ripping your clothes oas soon as you got home because they stunk.

Will affect sould nights, yes. Will it stop people from going, no. Do we live in a nanny state, probably.

I to am an ex smoker married to a cancer nurse, nice outlook. If people wish to smoke the should be allowed to do so in agreed places for smokers, I disagree with some of the draconian laws in the states on smoking but in public venues it should have an impact on the liability insurance as well, as there is less risk of fire etc .

Social source share

• Replies 152
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Main reasons i'm saying it's a sham can be seen in 1 of my earlier posts on this thread (no 121)

Not only that - only yesterday the Government issued guidelines for the police to only caution teenagers smoking cannabis.

Take drugs & get away with it or smoke a fag & get fined & also get the bar owner fined as well, not a sham?

Like i said earlier why don't they just make the sale of tobacco products illegal if theyr'e so against it?

I don't think it's a question of being against it rather than how it effects other people and that is my concern. We should all have a right to work, relax, drink and enjoy good music etc etc in a smoke free enviroment. The problem, taking away health issues, is that once a "room" is polluted with fag smoke or it's blowing into your face you can't get away from it. It stinks and goes home with you.

A smoker (26% of adult population) in a non-smoking venue has the option of going outside for a fag whereas a non-smoker (74% of adult populatuion) in a smoking venue is stuffed.

Separate areas don't work (usually because of one or two people who don't respect it) and would be more difficult to "police" than a total ban. At least when implimented it will be black and white with no grey areas (in theory anyway!!).

Like most non-smokers I have no problem with poeple who smoke only when their habit, or the residue of it, is inflicted on me.

Last point is that the ban is working very well in Scotland and Ireland so why should it not work in Wales (from April) and England.

Regards

Daz

Social source share

I am a smoker but am welcoming the ban. I suffered with cancer 10 years ago and had to have reasonably serious surgery and still have never tried to stop so I hope this is going to help me give up after over 34 years of smoking.

It will be my first attempt ever to stop and I am going to take all the drugs the doctor can give me to help as I am finding it quite scary even thinking about and thats with 5 months to go, so appologies in advance if I snarl at anyone in July, I hope you will realise its nothing personal :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert