Pitches, Rotherham

Guest mrs norman maine

Guest mrs norman maine

In honour of Mr. Hampsey's birthday, I thought I'd kick this off. I managed to make it up to Pitches a couple of times in the 90's. Just wondered what other people's memories are of the night, key sounds, people, etc?

All I can really remember is that I had a brilliant time when I went. That, and the rather confusing gaggle* of roundabouts that had to be negotiated to find the place.

*I think this is the collective term...

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Probably the first "across the board" soul night. Had many a great night there. Always thought of it as a mini Soul Essence.

Congrats on the big 50 Sean.

Trev

Social source share

Probably the first "across the board" soul night. Had many a great night there. Always thought of it as a mini Soul Essence.

Congrats on the big 50 Sean.

Trev

Thanks Trev And Mrs Norman Maine.

It was a special venue, no doubt, and myself and the other guys, Tats Taylor, Kev Briscoe and John Benson always aimed to deliver a truly "across the board" playlist.

Derek Pearson often featured PITCHES in his mag (as did Spike in Echoes), with all the playlists at the time.

It would be good if he could post 'em up just to see how many 'PITCHES' sounds are either still around or went on to become 'big' beyond the venue itself.

I'd dig 'em out and do it myself but I'm off, now, to celebrate me birfday... in the Sun!

:no:

TTFN

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Firstly

Sean a very Happy Buffday love.

Went to Pitches several times. Great nights.

Dj'd twice I think ?? Not a clue what I played :lol::no:

Yep well worth the 3 hour each way trip !!

Bring em back, thats what I say !

Social source share

Guest sharona

:rolleyes:

Happy Birthday Mr Hampsey - hope it's a gud 'un

Love Shaz xx

Social source share

Derek Pearson often featured PITCHES in his mag with all the playlists at the time.

did I?

As I get older it get's more and more embarrassing as people often talk about what I'd printed in the mag years ago and I've absolutely no recollection of what was inbetween the pages. Why would I - it was a long time ago and I never revisit the master copies. One day (he says hopefully) I'll get 'round to having a "Shades Of Soul" website with old articles reprinted. One day.

Go on Sean tell me other things I printed hehehe.

Yeah our gang loved Pitches wonder if I've got some old photos tucked away.

derek

Social source share

did I?

As I get older it get's more and more embarrassing as people often talk about what I'd printed in the mag years ago and I've absolutely no recollection of what was inbetween the pages. Why would I - it was a long time ago and I never revisit the master copies. One day (he says hopefully) I'll get 'round to having a "Shades Of Soul" website with old articles reprinted. One day.

derek

Definately one of the first places to be credited with the term " Across The Board " in respect of the music played ..... a credit to all those concerned with it .

Happy birthday ( again ) Paddy .... thought you were in Lanzarote ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Definately one of the first places to be credited with the term " Across The Board " in respect of the music played ..... a credit to all those concerned with it .

Happy birthday ( again ) Paddy .... thought you were in Lanzarote ?

Malc Burton

What about Thorne? and Stafford and other venues in the 80's who ploayed across the board???? Pitches for me filled a void left vacant by the likes of Thorne.

Another venue along the lines of Pitches would be great. Know a venue just down the road from me which would be ideal if the owners would be interested, I'll have to pop along sometime and ask the question.

Social source share

did I?

derek

Yes you did Derek.

I'll dig 'em out and put up the playlists some time this week!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Another venue along the lines of Pitches would be great. Know a venue just down the road from me which would be ideal if the owners would be interested, I'll have to pop along sometime and ask the question.

Hey Chalky,

Been looking out for somewhere "just down the road from you" for a while.

Wonder where that might be?

BTW... Certainly, PITCHES was the first venue to use the phrase "Across The Board" in its publicity.

...Not the last though eh?

Sean

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Was in Lanzarote Malc.

Got a bit of colour in me 'cheeks' and just got back into Leeds / Bradford at 8.00 tonight.

Had a Ball!

Cold here innit?

Sean

Did you go to Lanzarote for 4 days?

Fancy that!

Social source share

Did you go to Lanzarote for 4 days?

Fancy that!

Just 3 nights, infact, Karen.

We were going to go to Dublin for a few days but the Hotel I wanted to stay in (The Shelbourne) is undergoing a refurb, so I opted for my other fave Hotel, in Lanza.

Spent the night at Weetwood Hall in Leeds on Wedenesday, my Birthday night, (Luvverly). Four Poster Bed and everythang!

Flew from Leeds / Bradford on Thursday morning leaving the Gale force winds and rain behind us.

Weather was mighty fine over there for the time of year. I work for myself so am more inclined to snatch regular quick breaks and long weekends rather than book a fortnight off at a time.

Back to the grindstone now though!

Sean

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Just 3 nights, infact, Karen.

We were going to go to Dublin for a few days but the Hotel I wanted to stay in (The Shelbourne) is undergoing a refurb, so I opted for my other fave Hotel, in Lanza.

Spent the night at Weetwood Hall in Leeds on Wedenesday, my Birthday night, (Luvverly). Four Poster Bed and everythang!

Flew from Leeds / Bradford on Thursday morning leaving the Gale force winds and rain behind us.

Weather was mighty fine over there for the time of year. I work for myself so am more inclined to snatch regular quick breaks and long weekends rather than book a fortnight off at a time.

Back to the grindstone now though!

:D

Sean

Very cosmopolitan!

Short breaks are cool-thinking about it, I don't think I have had a 2 week break for about 10 years!

Glad you had a good time. :thumbsup:

Edited by Karen Heath
Social source share

HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY SEAN.

JUST LIKE THE TUNES, I'LL BE SIX WEEKS BEHIND YOU

KEEP 3RD MARCH FREE IN YOUR DIARY, FOR MY 50TH DO.

SAME FOR GAVIN,CHALKIE.TREV. AND ANYBODY ELSE WHO WENT TO PITCHES

TATS

OH FORGOT GREAT VENUE FOR MA PARTY

PRIDE OF LINCOLN, Runcorn Road, off Whisby Road, Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN6 3QZ Tel. 01522 686878 Fax. 01522 500664

LOADS OF ACCOMODATION

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANNA COME.

Social source share

TATS

PRIDE OF LINCOLN, Runcorn Road, off Whisby Road, Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN6 3QZ Tel. 01522 686878 Fax. 01522 500664

LOADS OF ACCOMODATION

Put Nicky & me down for an invite please

Blake

Social source share

Thanks Trev And Mrs Norman Maine.

It was a special venue, no doubt, and myself and the other guys, Tats Taylor, Kev Briscoe and John Benson always aimed to deliver a truly "across the board" playlist.

Sean

Sean,

So many great memories,great little club,incredible atmosphere.

I will always remember our first night there, after months of planning and playlist discussions, we found ourselves in the pitches car park in 2 foot of snow, debating whether to call the first nite off. as nobody would be able to get there in sub zero conditions. A pair of headlights appeared on the horizon, must be a "snow plough" muttered Briscoe. The lights sped towards us out of control eating up the Arctic terrain, we all managed to dive out of the way as the mass of metal skidded 360 deg.

"Hiya Guys anybody else here yet" asked Soul Sam, peering thru the window of his now visible Marina estate car! All the way from Wrexham. What a Star.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Was in Lanzarote Malc.

I spent a lovely week in Lanzarote last year. The combination of the volcanic landscape & the Cesar Manrique monumentos made it feel like being on the moon in the 1960's!

Happy birthday for then Tats. Don't think you know me, but one of my 'exes' always used to praise your taste in music. That's not why he's my ex, of course :shades:

Looking forward to some playlists, or even some photos if Derek can find them. BTW Derek you still owe me a fiver for a sponsored walk I did about 6 years ago! :D

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

I BTW Derek you still owe me a fiver for a sponsored walk I did about 6 years ago! :D

was that sponsered walk the result of you MAKING me get everyone down the 100 club to sponser you... :shades:

Social source share

TATS

LOADS OF ACCOMODATION

only 50? -you sure?

not seen you for years mister, actually last time was at Cleethorpes around 97 I think, and you were trying to hide the fact that you were smoking from your wife :shades:

have a great night, I would say I'll come to jump out of a birthday cake for you.....

but 2 small children have curtailed my social life somewhat

thank goodness for that I hear you cry :D

x

Social source share

only 50? -you sure?

not seen you for years mister, actually last time was at Cleethorpes around 97 I think, and you were trying to hide the fact that you were smoking from your wife :shades:

Steady on Kirsty, when I was younger I always looked older.... but now I'm really old I reckon I look half my age!

Cleethorpes '97 would figure right Kirsty.

Was trying to give up smoking, to please the Missus, around that time.

Failed miserably though.

Still a 30 a day man... and I gave up the Missus instead!

:D

Sean

x

Social source share

only 50? -you sure?

not seen you for years mister, actually last time was at Cleethorpes around 97 I think, and you were trying to hide the fact that you were smoking from your wife :thumbsup:

have a great night, I would say I'll come to jump out of a birthday cake for you.....

but 2 small children have curtailed my social life somewhat

thank goodness for that I hear you cry :wicked:

Hi Kirsty,

I think i was just trying to hide from the wife in general, which is usually the case.

rule number 1 don't marry someone bigger than yourself!

anyway sounds like you need a goodnight out. march 3rd More than welcome

i am sure you could arrange babysitters.

Tats

Social source share

I loved this venue, it was a real breath of fresh air at the time. I remember it moving to another venue when pitchers closed...cant remember the name of the place, some sports club i think.

I always remember looking thru Gary from Blacknights records and finding some great bargains, almost on a monthly basis!

Great times.....

Chris

Social source share

The Phoenix?

Yes it was The Phoenix.

We were forced to move (by demand) to a venue with a later license (from midnight - 1.00am).

Left PITCHES behind and moved, 2 miles closer to the M1, to the Phoenix.

The capacity there was huge and though we continued breaking tunes and breaking down the barriers the electric atmosphere was hard to recreate in such a large venue.

We did our last gig there Dec 1998 and turned the lights off as we left the room.

Never forget the look on everyone's faces that night.

A bit like this... only worse.

sad.gif:lol::(:(

Sean

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Yes it was The Phoenix.

We were forced to move (by demand) to a venue with a later license (from midnight - 1.00am).

Left PITCHES behind and moved, 2 miles closer to the M1, to the Phoenix.

The capacity there was huge and though we continued breaking tunes and breaking down the barriers the electric atmosphere was hard to recreate in such a large venue.

We did our last gig there Dec 1998 and turned the lights off as we left the room.

Never forget the look on everyone's faces that night.

A bit like this... only worse.

sad.gif:lol::(:(

Sean

Yep, came there with Mr Dearlove had a great night !

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

was that sponsered walk the result of you MAKING me get everyone down the 100 club to sponser you... :lol:

:( No actually. I caught Derek in a weak moment in Spain-too much sherry! It's all about timing & knowing when to strike when it's for 'charidee'.......

Getting the names at the 100 Club was a sight easier than getting the money afterwards! Partly due to my habit of scribbling down some first names only, with a brief description, e.g. 'that young bloke with the nice shirt in mod corner' :(

Anyroad- back to the topic- any playlists boys? whistling.gif

Social source share

In honour of Mr. Hampsey's birthday, I thought I'd kick this off. I managed to make it up to Pitches a couple of times in the 90's. Just wondered what other people's memories are of the night, key sounds, people, etc?

All I can really remember is that I had a brilliant time when I went. That, and the rather confusing gaggle* of roundabouts that had to be negotiated to find the place.

*I think this is the collective term...

A belated Happy Birthday Sean, only a week late, not bad for me.

Apart from the first one, I must have gone to them all. Don't like to be too nostalgic but!, Pitches holds so many great memories for me. My first date with Clare, despite this, we have been together over ten years.

The fab all-dayer. Travelling over with the Dentist and the Hulston's listening to Steve Coogan doing his Earnest Moss character. Although I was never all that comfortable with the dancing in the circle business to HDH "Why can't we be lovers", must be a South Yorks ting.

I always came over with my good friend Tim Fletcher. What we found very odd was that it finished at 12 midnight. We would then jump in to Tims van and drive as fast as we could back over mountains and get to Ten Bar in Manchester for about 1am to hear our mate John Tracey DJ. Ten Bar was our regular Friday hangout at that time and John would always play a Bobby Womack tune to announce our return from across the border.

Musically it was superb as you would expect with three great DJs (only joking Tats). A favourite which springs to mind and one that I heard Kev play at the WInter Gardens last year was the Creative Source's "your just too good". What a record and one that has yet to be really hammered as much as it should, despite your best efforts Sean.

Off for a bath.

Regards Alan

Social source share

the Creative Source's "your just too good". What a record and one that has yet to be really hammered as much as it should, despite your best efforts Sean.

Regards Alan

Hi Alan,

Only just read this mate, sorry.

Great little track the Creative Source.

Little known fact, I originally played it covered as "Bobby Miller" way back in '79.

27+ years later.... its still a virtual unknown!

If I knew how to post a clip I'd be putting it on here.

Long overdue some recognition I reckon.

Also....

Didn't realise that you had your first date with Clare (now Mrs Darker) at PITCHES.

And that love blossomed from that day on!

Just Lovely!

Made it all worthwhile.

Sean

Social source share

• 1 month later...

In case you missed it on the 'Events Talk' Threads

Last night, I had a fantastic piece of news from Tats Taylor.

................................................................................

................................................................................

It's now been confirmed by the Promoters.... that there's going to be a PITCHES PARTY at this years Prestatyn Weekender.

It will be a 'True Soul - Across The Board' Four Hour session... just like we used to do at the legendary PITCHES club.

Venue - Prestatyn 'Main Modern Room'

Date & Time - Saturday Allnighter 17th March 07 3.30am - 7.00am (Sun morning).

DJ's - The Pitches Boys - Tats Taylor - Kevin Briscoe - and yours truly, Sean Hampsey.

Format - Three, 50 year old, northern blokes, giving up their bedtime Horlicks to bring you an eclectic mix of 100% solid soul music - classy oldies, cream crossover, total exclusives and 'monsters in the making'.

We look forward to welcoming swingers and friends, new and old, to our truly Soulful Soiree.

If you never went to PITCHES, come and hear for yourselves what all the fuss was about.

If you were a PITCHES regular, you already know... and you won't want to miss this Four Hour session for the world!

Well up for it!

And looking forward to meeting the scores of Soul Sourcers that I'd just love... to put a face... to the name!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert