Boots, Re Issues Or Promo's Whats The Difference

Although that I have read many articles on Soul source over the past 12 months, I recently decided to join up myself for the following reasons.

I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be slaggin off people selling re-issues 45's and counterfeit copies. etc. I would like to know who the hell do you think you are? The Northern Soul scene has relied on people buying and selling records whether they be originals, re-issues or pressings. I have collected records ( originals, pressings and promo copies) for the best part of 34 years, so what is different now to the early days of collecting soul records.

I hear you all scream the artist, the writer or the label don't receive any money from the bootleg 45's. on the other hand the artist, writer or label don't recieve anything when you the collector purchase of sell dj copies, promo copies or acetates which all belong to the record company. A lot of the activities on the Northern Scene appertaining to records are illegal, weve all been involved somewhere along the line, so stop the witch hunting of the one's who sell boots on ebay, get a life and stop whinging.

Yours in Soul

Petemac

Social source share

• Replies 102
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well said Petemac

Too many snobs on the scene, allways has been, allways will be but as long as we all get on at the nighters etc it is ok

Mark

Social source share

Well I've been at it for a few years longer than you and the reason is that back in the day we didn't know how to contact producers artists and label owners. Now we do we should pay them their dues as they are the ones that made this utterly brilliant music for us. why not let them share in it's belated success now we can.

Nobody's slagged off re-issue 45s just bootlegs. The royalties should be paid on manufacture each time a piece of music or a song is issued and permission should be granted from the legal owner. So why do some people think they are above that and the music's theirs to do with it what they will?

We've debated all the arguments on here ad infinitum so it's rather pathetic of you to join up and call us whingers. We just care a bit more about the musical rights than you obviously do. Your little rant seems quite whingey to me!

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Although that I have read many articles on Soul source over the past 12 months, I recently decided to join up myself for the following reasons.

I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be slaggin off people selling re-issues 45's and counterfeit copies. etc. I would like to know who the hell do you think you are? The Northern Soul scene has relied on people buying and selling records whether they be originals, re-issues or pressings. I have collected records ( originals, pressings and promo copies) for the best part of 34 years, so what is different now to the early days of collecting soul records.

I hear you all scream the artist, the writer or the label don't receive any money from the bootleg 45's. on the other hand the artist, writer or label don't recieve anything when you the collector purchase of sell dj copies, promo copies or acetates which all belong to the record company. A lot of the activities on the Northern Scene appertaining to records are illegal, weve all been involved somewhere along the line, so stop the witch hunting of the one's who sell boots on ebay, get a life and stop whinging.

Yours in Soul

Petemac

Wow this is the most profound and intelligent post I have read on here all year Thanks Petmac I have just been on Goldsoul,Yesmanone and a few other of your mates and have just picked up £10000 worth of vinyl for £30! you have opend mine eyesballs i wus blond but now I brunette.How clever of them to put two different artists on one 45 and all done with a clever lokky likey lable.I have now changed my collecting ways for ever. no.gif

Social source share

A lot of the activities on the Northern Scene appertaining to records are illegal......

Very true - I used to collect rare vinyl and whenever I found a rare, obscure, or slow 'want' I'd pluck a rare zimbabwean cock-a-teel from my aviary, sacrifice it , then smear the blood all over my torso in celebration before heading off to the nearest nighter on this " great scene of ours"

Hammy

Social source share

Yours in Soul

Petemac

Hello, welcome to the community and thanks for expressing your views.

Are you by any chance related to yesterday's new member whose first post was also in defence of bootleggers?

Anyway, it's nice to see so many new members joining up.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Very true - I used to collect rare vinyl and whenever I found a rare, obscure, or slow 'want' I'd pluck a rare zimbabwean cock-a-teel from my aviary, sacrifice it , then smear the blood all over my torso in celebration before heading off to the nearest nighter on this " great scene of ours"

Hammy

shouldn't that be cockateel without the hyphens?

we don't want to mislead anybody, do we?

macca.

Social source share

Hello everyone,

This is Gladys Knight speaking.

I'm a new member and this is my first posting. Sorry I can't chat for very long because I'm calling long-distance from a pay phone.

I just called to say that bootleggers are nice people... and... oh, please hold on while I put some more money in...

Oh no... there go the pips!!!

Social source share

Hello everyone,

This is Gladys Knight speaking.

I'm a new member and this is my first posting. Sorry I can't chat for very long because I'm calling long-distance from a pay phone.

I just called to say that bootleggers are nice people... and... oh, please hold on while I put some more money in...

Oh no... there go the pips!!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

While everyone's on a "be kind to poor mis-understood bootleggers - they're the very bedrock of Northern Soul", I would just like to stick up for drug dealers. They're the very bedrock of Northern Soul and are persecuted just because what they do is illegal. Without them, the scene just wouldn't have been the same. wacko.gif

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

While everyone's on a "be kind to poor mis-understood bootleggers - they're the very bedrock of Northern Soul", I would just like to stick up for drug dealers. They're the very bedrock of Northern Soul and are persecuted just because what they do is illegal. Without them, the scene just wouldn't have been the same. wacko.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Yours in Soul

Petemac

"Yours in SOUL"!!!??? You're comments are bloody disgrace! It's not that Bootlegs are illegal, it's that they are simply immoral - something you obviously don't undersatnd. As to the artist not receiving any benefit from the re-selling of his original, legally issued records, that is because he has (hopefully) already received royalties on these. If not then blame the record company. Bootlegs are bootlegs whatever gloss you put on them. How would you like YOUR work being ripped off by others for their own profit, with none of the cash finding it's way back to you? I'll stop "whinging" when the sharks and low-lifes who think it perfectly OK to cheat and steal from the artists they profess to admire, leave the Soul scene completely and crawl back under their stones.

Yours in anger...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Well said Petemac

Too many snobs on the scene, allways has been, allways will be but as long as we all get on at the nighters etc it is ok

Mark

Yes. Everything's "OK" as long as we're OK. Stuff the artists who created the music in the first place!

Social source share

Yours in Soul

Petemac

Read some old Blues and Soul/Black Music mags. Many people were moaning about boots 34 years ago as well.

Social source share

Oooh! You've got a point there :thumbsup: I don't do drugs so I don't really know the financial gain.

Out of interest, what do so called bootleg records sell for? Is it fair to assume they're recouperating their outlay and a little more? Really, I don't know as I've never bought one. They can't be making big bucks on individual recordings.

It's an interesting subject though. Original records, that sell for .. lets say 800 quid, don't pay royalties at all to the copywrite holder or artiste and they could be sold 4 to 5 times in year say. A bootleg might only sell the same amount financially and again, pay no royalties.

So, you have very rare records changing hands for silly amounts of money - not changing the fiscal lives of the copywrite owner and bootlegs doing exactly the same, again, not enhancing the fiscality of the copywrite owner.

What's the difference? Irrespective of the originality of the recording, no-one's making anything except the seller.

Social source share

"Yours in SOUL"!!!??? You're comments are bloody disgrace! It's not that Bootlegs are illegal, it's that they are simply immoral - something you obviously don't undersatnd. As to the artist not receiving any benefit from the re-selling of his original, legally issued records, that is because he has (hopefully) already received royalties on these.

Yours in anger...

I've just called that into question really. Originally, the artists, record companies and copywrite owners didn't really earn anything at all. After all, to be rare, not many copies were either made or sold at all. Your arguement is defunct.

Social source share

I've just called that into question really. Originally, the artists, record companies and copywrite owners didn't really earn anything at all. After all, to be rare, not many copies were either made or sold at all. Your arguement is defunct.

perhaps your just defunct and don' understand the scene

Social source share

Oooh! You've got a point there :thumbsup: I don't do drugs so I don't really know the financial gain.

Out of interest, what do so called bootleg records sell for? Is it fair to assume they're recouperating their outlay and a little more? Really, I don't know as I've never bought one. They can't be making big bucks on individual recordings.

It's an interesting subject though. Original records, that sell for .. lets say 800 quid, don't pay royalties at all to the copywrite holder or artiste and they could be sold 4 to 5 times in year say. A bootleg might only sell the same amount financially and again, pay no royalties.

So, you have very rare records changing hands for silly amounts of money - not changing the fiscal lives of the copywrite owner and bootlegs doing exactly the same, again, not enhancing the fiscality of the copywrite owner.

What's the difference? Irrespective of the originality of the recording, no-one's making anything except the seller.

get a life
Social source share

your talking through your asre, answer the points I made

Social source share

"Yours in SOUL"!!!??? You're comments are bloody disgrace! It's not that Bootlegs are illegal, it's that they are simply immoral - something you obviously don't undersatnd. As to the artist not receiving any benefit from the re-selling of his original, legally issued records, that is because he has (hopefully) already received royalties on these. If not then blame the record company. Bootlegs are bootlegs whatever gloss you put on them. How would you like YOUR work being ripped off by others for their own profit, with none of the cash finding it's way back to you? I'll stop "whinging" when the sharks and low-lifes who think it perfectly OK to cheat and steal from the artists they profess to admire, leave the Soul scene completely and crawl back under their stones.

Yours in anger...

Have you ever bought a record for more than its face value ?

Social source share

Hammy

Well there you go

Social source share

I wonder what you do for a living... I don't suppose you're a diplomat by any chance, are you?

Paul Mooney

Hey Paul

I think we may have crossed wires here, I thought I was replying to comments made to my earlier posting, perhaps you can help me out here. I did not mean to offend anyone at all. If i'm posting wrongly perhaps someone can help me out.

Social source share

Well I've been at it for a few years longer than you and the reason is that back in the day we didn't know how to contact producers artists and label owners. Now we do we should pay them their dues as they are the ones that made this utterly brilliant music for us. why not let them share in it's belated success now we can.

Nobody's slagged off re-issue 45s just bootlegs. The royalties should be paid on manufacture each time a piece of music or a song is issued and permission should be granted from the legal owner. So why do some people think they are above that and the music's theirs to do with it what they will?

We've debated all the arguments on here ad infinitum so it's rather pathetic of you to join up and call us whingers. We just care a bit more about the musical rights than you obviously do. Your little rant seems quite whingey to me!

We also should be paying royalties everytime we play a record at a soul night, has any Dj ever paid any royalties to anyone, one to think about?

Social source share

Hey Paul

I think we may have crossed wires here, I thought I was replying to comments made to my earlier posting, perhaps you can help me out here. I did not mean to offend anyone at all. If i'm posting wrongly perhaps someone can help me out.

The text you can read above when you are composing in the editor screen is what you are seen to be replying to.

Stick with it Pete.

You'll get the hang of it.

Sean

Social source share

Yes. A more appropriate smiley than mine.

Well done Bogue!

biggrin.gif

Sean

:yes:

You got to have a larf Sean.

Come on Pete (whoever) lighten up, it's all just opinions at the end of the day. You will probably find that most people who argue the toss on here would happily share a drink with each other if they met out :thumbsup:

Social source share

I might be getting this wrong and I don't wish to upset anyone, but if you are a firm believer in the Artist, writer and record companies getting their share, why don't we pay royalties through PPS and PRS etc.

Social source share

We also should be paying royalties everytime we play a record at a soul night, has any Dj ever paid any royalties to anyone, one to think about?

Often used to 'Log' titles when performing in public.

Many venues used to insist on it in the early 70's.

Does seem to have fallen by the wayside though these days i agree.

Has "Logging" been replaced by a General Performing License?

Anyone?

Social source share

The text you can read above when you are composing in the editor screen is what you are seen to be replying to.

Stick with it Pete.

You'll get the hang of it.

Sean

Thanks Sean

However I hope I#ve not offended anyone in the mean time lol

Social source share