New Kent 45s

• Replies 112
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Ahh, but isn't this about Kent singles......

Mine would be that wonderful Alexander Patton that Ady used to spin, I'd be happy with Toby Lark on the flip

sorry tony. just got carried away there. I see from the valencia all-nighter propaganda that you've got ray agee. just a pity it's 12 hours drive (or more) from me. I'd go just to hear that!! :-)

macca.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

OK Tobi's a definite, which jackie lee, is Trust Me getting some interest, it's a triffic song.

It might be a bit late for Morris, I'll see. The RCA Pied Piper's would be too expensive but Sebastian'sOther Brothers might be a good Out Of Left Field choice.

The Claddagh man lately of near Market Harborough (a very nice town I have to say despite the people they're letting live there nowadays) has that on the original acetate doesn't he? Nice track, that'd be a blinding choice. Rather like that Shirley Brown Even If The Signs Are Wrong. Maybe not too popular though.

Social source share

Has it? Whats the boot look like then, not seen one. I finally landed a Sue copy at a good price but now lust after an American copy as well. yes.gif

Anyone got a Thelma Harper Unchain My Heart on Jell for sale?

UK looking boot with a 'Mongo Bongo' track & The Quick (Bert's Apple Crumble) both on the flip. Think it's aimed at the boogaloo/mod/funk scene as well. Can't remember the label name but I have one somewhere...think it was something like 'Hipsville' or something like that.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Interesting theme Ady, but I wouldn't let out of the bag what you plan releasing the booters my get there first. I look forward to your next release whatever it is, I collect them. But as a suggestion how about some LP only tracks, it would be great to have them on 45, a lot easier for me to DJ with.

Some thoughts on comments made.

what if Ady release so and so then someone will get upset because it may be the exclusive? so what it's better than a boot surely, which eventually happens anyway.

Maybe it should be the un-released tracks, yeh for us collectors great but the majority of buyers may not know so sales are limited and not a success.

Ady has already dismissed some tracks as being too expensive to do legally, this is part of the reason booters are around in the first place.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting theme Ady, but I wouldn't let out of the bag what you plan releasing the booters my get there first. I look forward to your next release whatever it is, I collect them. But as a suggestion how about some LP only tracks, it would be great to have them on 45, a lot easier for me to DJ with.

Some thoughts on comments made.

what if Ady release so and so then someone will get upset because it may be the exclusive? so what it's better than a boot surely, which eventually happens anyway.

Maybe it should be the un-released tracks, yeh for us collectors great but the majority of buyers may not know so sales are limited and not a success.

Ady has already dismissed some tracks as being too expensive to do legally, this is part of the reason booters are around in the first place.

:thumbsup:

good points and all true but I would say that if the sales of the next batch are encouraging then we might be able to afford some of the big royalty rates next time around so don't give the green light to any bootlegging berks yet!

Social source share

Well that thread about scurvy bootleggers got our creative juices flowing (I'll wipe it up later) and we'll give another run of singles from our catalogue.

However it's much more viable if we use material we own, then we just pay the artists and songwriters, cos we're the owners!

So how about suggestions from Dave Hamilton's labels and productions, Kent/Modern, Mirwood, Spring/Event, Money, GWP, Arock/Sylvia, Goldwax.

There's also labels we have strong ties with like Westbound, Renfro, Scepter/Wand/Musicor/King, Aware/Hotlanta, Carnival, Dial and others.

Obviously previously unissueds are good to put out, but we need stuff that's going to appeal to 500+ people. Get those thinking caps on.

========

for a wand 45...clarence reid - im your yes man- class oldie

Social source share

good points and all true but I would say that if the sales of the next batch are encouraging then we might be able to afford some of the big royalty rates next time around so don't give the green light to any bootlegging berks yet!

never green light any bootleggers but do try and point out,

Please Mr C

the waves would be nice only been chasing this a short while

Social source share

Before Its Too Late cw Oh What Heartaches, following on from yesterdays sad news.

One question you may be able to help me with Adey, why was the quality of Chris Kings/Universals Motown CDs This is Northern Soul Vol 1 and 2 so poor, when we had waited for years for some of the tracks, and all are obviously Motown and we all know the studio quality of the Detroit Guys?

No idea, Chris King made such a mess at Motown I got completely baffled.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As I understand it, the unissued tracks on King's Motown comps were dubbed from hastily-transcribed cassette tapes that he had been given 'for reference'. (They certainly do have that mushy quality that cassettes tend to have). This info came from someone fairly close to Chris, who had apparently had it confirmed by the man himself. Please, don't anyone send me threatening e-mails if it's wrong...

TONE

Social source share

That's what i'd like to see released on 45s, Marvin's 'Sunny', TT's 'All i do...' & plenty more gems that are on those two Motown cd's also Supremes 'Honey Bee'.

Simon

Social source share

Honey Bee is avaliable on 45, it's on the flip of the Funk Bros track I can't remember the title, it's an official release.

Ady, Kent tracks I'd like to see, but they are not really popular enough, Mary Love's much under rated 'I've Gotta Get You Back' and Wille Hutch - 'I Can't Get Enough'.

Social source share

Earl Van Dyke - All Night

b/w Supremes - Honey Bee (stomp version)- Tamla Motown UK

(part of their recent batch of vinyl 45s).

Nice one, where can i get a copy, is it a good pressing soundwise etc?

Simon

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Nice one, where can i get a copy, is it a good pressing soundwise etc?

Simon

I bought mine in HMV Guildford, it was everywhere when it was issued (to coincide with the release of the second "Cellarful Of Motown" double CD.

Funnily enough I'd say you're more likely to find one lurking in some overstock pile of an HMV shop now than in the stock of a soul dealer, as it's been more than a year since its release...

TONE

Social source share

I bought mine in HMV Guildford, it was everywhere when it was issued (to coincide with the release of the second "Cellarful Of Motown" double CD.

Funnily enough I'd say you're more likely to find one lurking in some overstock pile of an HMV shop now than in the stock of a soul dealer, as it's been more than a year since its release...

TONE

Cheers Tone!

Simon

Social source share

Ady, of course "Too much...." on Money.

Re your reply to the request for Ben E. King track, you'd think some money would be better than no money so why the f..k prevent you from packaging their material and at least making someone a bit better off.

Is it just the big companies that have this attitude. I think you mentioned RCA as well as being expensive to lease. From what I've read over the years you seem to do most of the digging so do these companies incur any expense at all when you issue CDs/45s.

I hate to say it but maybe these owners deserve to have their product issued illegally if they're gonna take a dog in the manger attitude. Still if they had no faith in it 30 odd years ago what chance now if you pitch it to them.

Maybe it's your cockney wide-boy accent and demeanour. You need somebody well-spoken, articulate and sophisticated, like say from Clitheroe. Always the red wine with the tripe!!

ROD

Social source share

Ady, of course "Too much...." on Money.

Re your reply to the request for Ben E. King track, you'd think some money would be better than no money so why the f..k prevent you from packaging their material and at least making someone a bit better off.

Is it just the big companies that have this attitude. I think you mentioned RCA as well as being expensive to lease. From what I've read over the years you seem to do most of the digging so do these companies incur any expense at all when you issue CDs/45s.

I hate to say it but maybe these owners deserve to have their product issued illegally if they're gonna take a dog in the manger attitude. Still if they had no faith in it 30 odd years ago what chance now if you pitch it to them.

Maybe it's your cockney wide-boy accent and demeanour. You need somebody well-spoken, articulate and sophisticated, like say from Clitheroe. Always the red wine with the tripe!!

ROD

To be fair, as we football managers say, it's probably a case of we should put out the ones we've got easy access to first. As they are cheaper for us to put out then we're not taking such a risk if they sit on the shelves. Once we've shifted a wagon load of these we'll be licensing Robbie Williams' Northern sides.

It's mainly just the problems of dealing with major record labels who don't understand that less than 1,000 sales may still be worth doing. Some are better than others and I don't believe any are worth booting as it's the artists and songwriters who would also get screwed. Bootleggers don't pay publishing either. Given time and changes of personnel you'll find that a company can go from unapproachable to OK (And vice verca).

You may be right about my demeanour; I'll use Bakcdoor Kenny in future negotiations, we couldn't afford your private jet invoices.

Social source share

First couple of days off yesterday and today in a couple of weeks so given me some spare time to get a couple of Solar shows in the can, Ady i've taken it upon myself to highlight this possible idea which will broadcast on Sunday January 28th so hope you don't mind i reckon the following would make for three excellent 45's which may inspire you to get things moving on this one?

Bobby Angelle - 'I'll Be A Soilder Boy' B/W Bettye Swann - 'The Dance Is Over'.....Bring it on Mr Croasdell!!!!

Tobi Lark - 'True True Love' B/W maybe 'Sweep It Out In The Shed' or the stunning Additions - Until The End Of Time.

Jackie Lee - 'Anything You Want' AKA 'Any Way You Want' B/W 'Trust Me'.

I for one would do all i can via the show to promote these for you and i feel the Tobi Lark track would fly out and reach sell out very quickly indeed.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

First couple of days off yesterday and today in a couple of weeks so given me some spare time to get a couple of Solar shows in the can, Ady i've taken it upon myself to highlight this possible idea which will broadcast on Sunday January 28th so hope you don't mind i reckon the following would make for three excellent 45's which may inspire you to get things moving on this one?

Bobby Angelle - 'I'll Be A Soilder Boy' B/W Bettye Swann - 'The Dance Is Over'.....Bring it on Mr Croasdell!!!!

Tobi Lark - 'True True Love' B/W maybe 'Sweep It Out In The Shed' or the stunning Additions - Until The End Of Time.

Jackie Lee - 'Anything You Want' AKA 'Any Way You Want' B/W 'Trust Me'.

I for one would do all i can via the show to promote these for you and i feel the Tobi Lark track would fly out and reach sell out very quickly indeed.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

The sales would be minimal and I'll tell you why - cos I've never heard of any of them except Sweep It and one of the jackie lee's. So if you're going to rely on just 'newies only' people for sales, well you may as well only press 200 copies.

Social source share

The sales would be minimal and I'll tell you why - cos I've never heard of any of them except Sweep It and one of the jackie lee's. So if you're going to rely on just 'newies only' people for sales, well you may as well only press 200 copies.

Ah but the bueaty is Pete, it only takes a few people to get behind them..................BANG its well known..........Every thing was a 'newie' once :lol:

Social source share

Pete, i take your pont here but with promotion and play as with any tunes there would be a market i'm sure, perhaps Ady knows the best way forward with this possible batch and these were only suggestions anyway, i get pretty much all the new releases re issues from most of the record companies including all the Kent ones so i simply try my best to preview/review them and hope that it at least brings them to the attention of some people, my suggestions were some of the stand out tracks on the recent Money, Dave Hamilton and Mirwood CD's via Ady and Kent, he asked for some feedback and ideas and mine were exactly that...ideas, i think you are correct with the 'newies' only statement but i also think you are under-estimating the quality of some of the tracks and in the current climate, debate and less than positive comments on music poilcy of some venues, attitudes and comments towards DJ's and the lack luster approach to the scene in general that the injection of any and all quality music un issued or otherwise would be welcome by some areas and people on the scene.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

maybe, and this is playing a little bit of a Devil's advocate here, putting out Records for the "Rare" Soul scene, that by it's very nature, in a lot of cases, only wants to buy "Rare" Soul Records is perhaps not a great market, unless you make the discs very limited, so people will put them in their D.J. boxes & collections (like the highly sought after "Anniversary" 45's) However, is there a Market for some of the classic Northern Soul tracks to be packaged in a sort of "Director's cut/Northern Soul Masters/The ....Session" type of package with Picture Sleeve of Artist, with detailed sleeve notes, superb and unsurpassable sound quality (as you'd expect from a "Kent" item) and possible inclusion of "Count Ins" "Alternative Takes" "Extended Version" on the flip. As well as being a definitive collectors item, there are also the sales possibilities for the emerging Soul Scenes in other parts of the World, where the concept of spending the equivalent of One Month's salary on 1 used 45rpm Record seems a little daunting.

Des Parker

Social source share

That's why we're going to do a two tier pricing system. Fiver for regular releases, £10 for collectors only limited edititons. And because it's Kent you can believe it will be honestly limited.

Social source share

That's why we're going to do a two tier pricing system. Fiver for regular releases, £10 for collectors only limited edititons. And because it's Kent you can believe it will be honestly limited.

Ady whats the best way to find out when new realese Cd/Vinyl is out and how to get it, do you do a news letter through the 6ts website? or on the Kent website

Social source share

I say let's get 'em out there spinning on the decks & have people dancing to these tunes with sweat pouring off them just like peeps did to all the classics the first time they heard them, this is what the rare soul scene should be about. And don't worry if a few dinosaurs don't want to hear them just book smaller clubs so you don't have to worry about offending them.

Let's get the rare soul scene back to being rare, storming & dare i sat it even slightly exclusiive & please djs don't hammer these records to death, play them sparingly & when it's time to put them away give them a rest for a few years & play some other forgotten stormers that people have passed by but that need playing or even better still Adey & co find us some more belters!

Simon

Social source share

Ady whats the best way to find out when new realese Cd/Vinyl is out and how to get it, do you do a news letter through the 6ts website? or on the Kent website

I'll post the 45 releases on here but if anyone wants Ace's monthly newsletter Right Track with all the releases and some fab articles, E-mail neil.scaplehorn@acerecords.com with your e-mail address

Social source share

Definitely a case for the 100 Club 45's to be compiled though I realise thats probably not possible - below is a link to a Chuck Jackson one on Ebay currently at an incredible £103! Note who the seller is :lol:

https://cgi.ebay.com/100-CLUB-13th-ANNIVERS...1QQcmdZViewItem

I know exactly who it is but it's a bloody rare record and he didn't get it from me, probably paid a fair bit for it himself. i'd have rated it at £150 min.

We will do the CD but a couple of sides may be missing.

Social source share

I know exactly who it is but it's a bloody rare record and he didn't get it from me, probably paid a fair bit for it himself. i'd have rated it at £150 min.

We will do the CD but a couple of sides may be missing.

Just out of interest Ady, what numbers of a run did you do for each ani single? Seem to remember reading the 100 has a capacity of around 300, so was it around that? whatever the numbers, have you any idea why some seem to be 'rarer' than others, maybe in the early day people put them under a chair and forgot to take them home, or maybe trashed them becasue they didn't think they be collectable?

Social source share

Just out of interest Ady, what numbers of a run did you do for each ani single? Seem to remember reading the 100 has a capacity of around 300, so was it around that? whatever the numbers, have you any idea why some seem to be 'rarer' than others, maybe in the early day people put them under a chair and forgot to take them home, or maybe trashed them becasue they didn't think they be collectable?

We press around 400, it's about 10% either way. The club holds 300 but over the night with comings and goings we get more than that, plus there are ticket buyers who can't make it for personal reasons and we send quite a few out to DJs to get it played on the radio and in clubs. The staff and people who help us over the years get them too.

I think the early ones are rarer for a lot of the reasons you say, or if it's 10% down on the pressing they'll be harder to find. The more collectible musically the record, the higher the price. It's no surprise that the Charmaines and Magicians are expensive now because the oldies fans want them as well. The price of the TKOs is a good reflection on a more esoteric sound getting big demand (it has Peggy Gaines on the flip which means it's popular with crossover fans too)

Social source share

We press around 400, it's about 10% either way. The club holds 300 but over the night with comings and goings we get more than that, plus there are ticket buyers who can't make it for personal reasons and we send quite a few out to DJs to get it played on the radio and in clubs. The staff and people who help us over the years get them too.

I think the early ones are rarer for a lot of the reasons you say, or if it's 10% down on the pressing they'll be harder to find. The more collectible musically the record, the higher the price. It's no surprise that the Charmaines and Magicians are expensive now because the oldies fans want them as well. The price of the TKOs is a good reflection on a more esoteric sound getting big demand (it has Peggy Gaines on the flip which means it's popular with crossover fans too)

More Lorraine Chandler with the Waves ont other side please

Social source share

Since Kent have the rights to the King label how about this for a 45 then as a tribute to James Brown....his finest 'Northern' tune, only available on an L.P...'Why Did You Take Your Love Away From Me'...absolute belter that I know would become huge!!!

It could also be backed with the other great Northern tune on the album...'Time After Time'....another corker!

2 just waiting to be unleashed!

Social source share

Since Kent have the rights to the King label how about this for a 45 then as a tribute to James Brown....his finest 'Northern' tune, only available on an L.P...
'Why Did You Take Your Love Away From Me'
...absolute belter that I know would become huge!!!

It could also be backed with the other great Northern tune on the album...
'Time After Time'
....another corker!

2 just waiting to be unleashed!

Which LP is that then Mr Slider?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Which LP is that then Mr Slider?

Cheers Paul

'I Cant Stand Myself When You Touch Me' on King from around 1966/67, his best album i.m.o. (Northern wise anyway).

You should'nt have much problem finding one, but it has recently been re-issued. I managed to get an original (blue King label) on evil bay for a few dollars. Great album!

ps. The cover has J.B standing in a suit with 3 go-go girls looking on.

Social source share

'I Cant Stand Myself When You Touch Me' on King from around 1966/67, his best album i.m.o. (Northern wise anyway).

You should'nt have much problem finding one, but it has recently been re-issued. I managed to get an original (blue King label) on evil bay for a few dollars. Great album!

ps. The cover has J.B standing in a suit with 3 go-go girls looking on.

Thanks Mr Slider
thumbsup.gif
I"ll look out for that.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

How about John Edwards- Cold hearted woman/Walls that seperate us

Joe Graham -I`m a happy man/Bill Brandon-Let`s get it back together

Freddie Hughes - Tonight i`m gonna see my baby/We gotta keep on

Unique Blend - Gonna spread the news/ yes i`m in love

Hesistations -Gotta find a way/Is this the way to treat a girl

Mark Houghton

Social source share