New Kent 45s

Well that thread about scurvy bootleggers got our creative juices flowing (I'll wipe it up later) and we'll give another run of singles from our catalogue.

However it's much more viable if we use material we own, then we just pay the artists and songwriters, cos we're the owners!

So how about suggestions from Dave Hamilton's labels and productions, Kent/Modern, Mirwood, Spring/Event, Money, GWP, Arock/Sylvia, Goldwax.

There's also labels we have strong ties with like Westbound, Renfro, Scepter/Wand/Musicor/King, Aware/Hotlanta, Carnival, Dial and others.

Obviously previously unissueds are good to put out, but we need stuff that's going to appeal to 500+ people. Get those thinking caps on.

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Er...what about Who Are You Trying To Fool instrumental...What Should I Do instrumental (not back to back)...can you do Karmello Brooks - Tell Me Baby???? Never pressed or booted and huge demand

I'll go for Karmello Brooks :thumbsup:

Social source share

Before Its Too Late cw Oh What Heartaches, following on from yesterdays sad news.

One question you may be able to help me with Adey, why was the quality of Chris Kings/Universals Motown CDs This is Northern Soul Vol 1 and 2 so poor, when we had waited for years for some of the tracks, and all are obviously Motown and we all know the studio quality of the Detroit Guys?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I'm palpitating and its good.

Handwriting On the Wall backed with Burn Baby Burn would be rather nice :-)

Stunners? Young Brothers?

Danny Cobus from Dave Hamilton (had it dubbed, oops!). And that wonderful give the dog a bone track...and James Lately.

Harlem Clown would be nice as it seems very hard to get, plus Roosevelt Sykes and, the rare Jr McCants. Don't bother with Up and Down The Hill though eh? Its dead boring.

Thinking about it, can't you do very limited runs of the unissued stuff? At a premium? With a free keyring and cuddly toy?

I know a few people who'd love Mr Dynamite repressed but wasn't there some licensing problem with that?

Did you do the Wand rareties on Horace's years ago?

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Well that thread about scurvy bootleggers got our creative juices flowing (I'll wipe it up later) and we'll give another run of singles from our catalogue.

However it's much more viable if we use material we own, then we just pay the artists and songwriters, cos we're the owners!

So how about suggestions from Dave Hamilton's labels and productions, Kent/Modern, Mirwood, Spring/Event, Money, GWP, Arock/Sylvia, Goldwax.

There's also labels we have strong ties with like Westbound, Renfro, Scepter/Wand/Musicor/King, Aware/Hotlanta, Carnival, Dial and others.

Obviously previously unissueds are good to put out, but we need stuff that's going to appeal to 500+ people. Get those thinking caps on.

Ady

2 unissued on vinyl for you

Shaladons ---Without Your Love

Betty Lavette --- (happiness will cost you) One Thin Dime

The Git

Social source share

Ady,do you have a record of how many copies of each 45 you've shifted so far.

It's a bit of a sad indictment of the current scene if you're suggesting that the unreleased stuff which wouldn't be available any other way would not sell 500 copies.

In addition to the Tobi Lark I fancy that "Soldier Boy" thing from Money. There's a thread starting about unreleased Pretenders on Carnival too.

Think I paid £4.99 or £5.99 for last Kent 45s I bought. Could you hike price to get a lower break-even point.

It may be there's more demand for 70's tracks than 60's. Unique Blend/Houston Outlaws springs to mind. Would have thought that would have sold a few.

ROD

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm going to have to give you a dig in the ribs about the Yate CD.

Also wondered why you've not done a CD of the 100 club anniversary singles. That would be a belter.

Social source share

Er...what about Who Are You Trying To Fool instrumental...What Should I Do instrumental (not back to back)...can you do Karmello Brooks - Tell Me Baby???? Never pressed or booted and huge demand

I'll go for Karmello Brooks :thumbsup:

If these are re-pressed is it going to be socially acceptable to play them at dos, must admit i have a copy of the September Jones EP that there were recent copies of off of JM, i play the unreleased 'Give me all of your love' but feel a bit funny about playing 'I'm coming home' even though it was all licensed properly etc. but of course there is a Kapp copy.

If this is going to be ok though wouldn't mind a copy of the Blue Jays 'Point of view'.

If they're gonna be top tunes Ady, i reckon i could flog a few for you down in Brighton especially if there at the more Moddy/R & B end of NS.

Simon

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I deffo think that Lately 45 that Stuart recommends wouldn't sell. It's dull, monotonous, too slow and I ....er... have got it already.

Stuart you tosser!!!

ROD

:thumbsup: I've never liked you...... :P

:yes:

Anyhow, not selling is the very essence of a good rare soul record. Honestly, some people... :lol:

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

So far I like, Petes suggestions and Bobby Wisdom, I'm not sure if there's much demand for the other Renfros on vinyl, perhaps the Young Bros. I love Danny Cobus but is there any demand, same goes for some of the others. Harlem clown's interesting but is it big at the moment. Which Mr Dynamite and which Burn Baby burn Stuart, you're getting me confused!

Betty Lavette's interesting, but she may cut my balls off, the GWP sides we're playing now will eventually be candidates once they get heard around the country.

What would people reckon to a two price series £5 for bog standard previously available stuff like say Danny Monday and the Sequins, no minimum press and a £10 300 or 500 press series of say Danny Cobus and Tobi Lark True True Love at a tenner a go?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

If these are re-pressed is it going to be socially acceptable to play them at dos, must admit i have a copy of the September Jones EP that there were recent copies of off of JM, i play the unreleased 'Give me all of your love' but feel a bit funny about playing 'I'm coming home' even though it was all licensed properly etc. but of course there is a Kapp copy.

If this is going to be ok though wouldn't mind a copy of the Blue Jays 'Point of view'.

If they're gonna be top tunes Ady, i reckon i could flog a few for you down in Brighton especially if there at the more Moddy/R & B end of NS.

Simon

Did it come out that its okay to play legit reissues in place of original vinyl? Ady, I think reissuing any of the above is a very bad idea, but perhaps you could do a 12" dub mix of the above like Stars on 45? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did it come out that its okay to play legit reissues in place of original vinyl? Ady, I think reissuing any of the above is a very bad idea, but perhaps you could do a 12" dub mix of the above like Stars on 45? :thumbsup:

If i remember i think some were against playing reissues, we really should get an NS charter drawn up or sommat.

Simon :lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Which Mr Dynamite

Sh'mon m#therf#cker!

As for Burn Baby Burn forget it, its got me confused as its on another company's CD with loads of Renfro tracks and I have a memory like a sieve, I just remembered it had a purplish label, didn't it? :thumbsup:

The two different pricing levels seem very sensible, if it allows for a smaller run of less in demand stuff.

Social source share

Ady,do you have a record of how many copies of each 45 you've shifted so far.

It's a bit of a sad indictment of the current scene if you're suggesting that the unreleased stuff which wouldn't be available any other way would not sell 500 copies.

In addition to the Tobi Lark I fancy that "Soldier Boy" thing from Money. There's a thread starting about unreleased Pretenders on Carnival too.

Think I paid £4.99 or £5.99 for last Kent 45s I bought. Could you hike price to get a lower break-even point.

It may be there's more demand for 70's tracks than 60's. Unique Blend/Houston Outlaws springs to mind. Would have thought that would have sold a few.

ROD

Things like the Themes didn't make 500 but others were up nearer the thousand. I was going to do the Westbound combination you suggested so that's likely. Soldier Boy is a good call as Mick H is playing the issued version. And yes 70s do tend to sell a bit better.

Social source share

I agree with the idea of a Jackie Day tribute.

How about a 4-track EP of her stuff as a tribute, in a nice pic sleeve (perhaps similar to the Aussie W&G EP sleeve).........and would there be space for "Naughty Boy"?

Nice idea but i don't think it would sell unless I can deal with OJ Simpson's lawyer Johnnie Cochrane for the rights.

Social source share

Thing is Stuart if you put out stuff that's already released then aren't the originals only brigade,me included, going to ignore them. But those unissued tracks hopefully should attract a following.

Easy for me to say cos it's not my money going into it but I'd give it a go.

I don't really care if Lately gets a re-issue but honestly I don't think it would sell that well as IMO it's not a track to set dancefloor alight. I think Ady is looking for something much more popular.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Thing is Stuart if you put out stuff that's already released then aren't the originals only brigade,me included, going to ignore them. But those unissued tracks hopefully should attract a following.

Easy for me to say cos it's not my money going into it but I'd give it a go.

I don't really care if Lately gets a re-issue but honestly I don't think it would sell that well as IMO it's not a track to set dancefloor alight. I think Ady is looking for something much more popular.

ROD

Agree entirely though I like the idea of paying a bit more for something less popular but a bit special. You're probably right about much of what is already issued unless it is either incredibly rare or popular, so I'd like the Mello Souls to be reissued please. I'd like a run of the unissued stuff but suspect that will sell less than reissuing a stack of classics.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Anniversary singles are in the pipeline but you'll have to remind me where those Yate titles we discussed are to be found!

Sorry I missed the 45 in the title :thumbsup:

I will email you the Yate tracks.

I have them in Spreadsheet format. If thats a problem, let me know and I will try to sort out another format.

Social source share

ROD

Wouldn't the people with the original acetates then get annoyed if you started playing these unless the tracks are coming directly from the very original source & there wasn't an acetate?

Thing is if you have an exclusive track that noone else has aren't you going to get a bit miffed if Joe Bloggs suddenly starts playing a 2007 released copy at his local NS do?

Simon

Social source share

I'd be very happy Ady, at £10 for unissued stuff.

"Soldier Boy" released version?

Thanks for the reply. Almost seems I know what Im talking about for a change!!

ROD

I'd pay more for a legal reissue of the Mello Souls!

Simon

Social source share

Toby Lark - True, true love :lol: now we're talking

I think any thing realesed will be good and do well.....its a collectors lable stright off any way.

Just keep that Luther Ingram a one off please :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wouldn't the people with the original acetates then get annoyed if you started playing these unless the tracks are coming directly from the very original source & there wasn't an acetate?

Thing is if you have an exclusive track that noone else has aren't you going to get a bit miffed if Joe Bloggs suddenly starts playing a 2007 released copy at his local NS do?

Simon

Funnily enough most of the masters we get hold of don't usually have original acetates, Nancy wilcox being the main exception. I doubt if the value of the original acetate would go down much as it would be an even bigger record once released and played out in more venues (assuming there are enough DJs who would play new released old recordings)

Social source share

Well Simon they might get annoyed/miffed but we're talking legal issue here. Im no longer sure what happens when a "big" 45 gets re-issued or booted. In the old days they'd be dropped from the set to make way for something new. Not a particularly bad thing.

I've got that Trannels thing which was pretty in demand at one time but Im not annoyed that it's come out as a legit re-issue. C'est la vie!!

ROD

Social source share

Funnily enough most of the masters we get hold of don't usually have original acetates, Nancy wilcox being the main exception. I doubt if the value of the original acetate would go down much as it would be an even bigger record once released and played out in more venues (assuming there are enough DJs who would play new released old recordings)

I'd play one of your new released old recordings, can't see a problem with that personally, i play things like 'You only live twice' (which is a phenomonal track imho).

Bring 'em on, i mean bring 'em out & let's hear 'em spun at venues, might freshen things up a bit 'an all!

Simon

Social source share

I'm going to have to give you a dig in the ribs about the Yate CD.

Also wondered why you've not done a CD of the 100 club anniversary singles. That would be a belter.

great idea

Social source share

Tobi Lark......awesome and maybe the Jackie Lee's Ady...i've put them on sales tapes and they have gone down really well....lol that was a joke by the way, i have played most of the tracks on the show and will continue to do so, all the suggestions so far would make great 45's but Tobi Lark would sell out i'm sure, with a little promotion via here, on radio shows and at the gigs all would prove popular and be worth doing.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Oh bugger, I sold that to Max for £5 :thumbsup:

:wicked: well if you see another one Pete, nobody else will want it but I'll give you a tenner at least. :shades:

Social source share

So far I like, Petes suggestions and Bobby Wisdom, I'm not sure if there's much demand for the other Renfros on vinyl, perhaps the Young Bros. I love Danny Cobus but is there any demand, same goes for some of the others. Harlem clown's interesting but is it big at the moment. Which Mr Dynamite and which Burn Baby burn Stuart, you're getting me confused!

Betty Lavette's interesting, but she may cut my balls off, the GWP sides we're playing now will eventually be candidates once they get heard around the country.

What would people reckon to a two price series £5 for bog standard previously available stuff like say Danny Monday and the Sequins, no minimum press and a £10 300 or 500 press series of say Danny Cobus and Tobi Lark True True Love at a tenner a go?

Presuming Mr Dynamite is 'Sh Mon' (UK Sue) which has been booted. 'Burn Baby Burn' must be the Mel Williams on Star...£500 worth????

Definitly keep the unissued stuff going, they're the ones I and many others tend to look at/buy first :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'd LOVE to see the two unissued Other Brothers tunes from the Modern/Kent archives to be put out on a 45, "Nobody But Me" and "I Got Love". "Nobody But Me" is a storming uptempo dancer and should appeal to both the northern and (especially) funk crowds. "I Got Love" is lovely mid-tempo. Really, these are two fantastic tracks.

Eddie & Ernie's "Bullets Don't Have Eyes" would be nice as well.

From the unissued Arock cuts, I could do with "Deep Down Inside" (unknown artist, pounding new breed r&b and same backing as King Coleman's "Salt & Pepper")

Unissued GWP: "Ooh It Hurts Me" by Larry Banks perhaps?

Social source share

I request the mello souls & ray agee. those would go like hotcakes, surely. a tenner wouldn't be an outrageous sum to pay either. just the thought of them remixed/mastered from the masters is making me go all squiffy... come on! please say you will! :-)

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Presuming Mr Dynamite is 'Sh Mon' (UK Sue) which has been booted.

Has it? Whats the boot look like then, not seen one. I finally landed a Sue copy at a good price but now lust after an American copy as well. :thumbsup:

Anyone got a Thelma Harper Unchain My Heart on Jell for sale?

Social source share

Anyone got a Thelma Harper Unchain My Heart on Jell for sale?

Used to have it, sold it to Mya though.

Nice tune but very very fast to dance to, 'bout £80 innit?

Simon

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Used to have it, sold it to Mya though.

Nice tune but very very fast to dance to, 'bout £80 innit?

Simon

Was thinking around that price range, perhaps a bit less. Paul Hallam classic play from the 80s at Sneakers and the like, still got it on a very worn out tape but never picked it up, Fool That I Am (which, of course, is another record by Thelma Harper and really rather good, but I ended up with three of them and its the other one that I really want :thumbsup: ). I only require it for home listening, dancing is optional and people can stop whenever they want if they get tired.

Social source share

I request the mello souls & ray agee. those would go like hotcakes, surely. a tenner wouldn't be an outrageous sum to pay either. just the thought of them remixed/mastered from the masters is making me go all squiffy... come on! please say you will! :-)

Ahh, but isn't this about Kent singles......

Mine would be that wonderful Alexander Patton that Ady used to spin, I'd be happy with Toby Lark on the flip

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

wHAT WAS THE STORY OF THE us ONE?? wASN'T IT CREDITED TO SOMEONE ELSE??

Sod this caps lock...

Oooh, I thought you were shouting! US Soultime label matrix 101, same credit but in fact the British Walkers:

Bobby Howard:vcl,Jimmy Carter:gtr,Jack Brooks:bs,Steve Lacey:dms

Label scan: https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4804985310

Some kind of Link Wray connection too. British Walkers version of Shake is worth swinging one's pants to as well.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert