Jackie Day R I P

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The vocals on Before Its Too Late and Oh What Heartaches are immaculate. One of my favourite female vocalists.

Thanks to people like Ady with the Kent stuff, and the early jocks who pushed Jackies records, as it not only exposed us to her talent (and countless others), but also gave her/them the knowledge that they had recognition and respect in this country.

It may not have made them a fortune, but I bet it gave them some belated satisfaction.

Thanks Jackie.

Social source share

The vocals on Before Its Too Late and Oh What Heartaches are immaculate. One of my favourite female vocalists.

Thanks to people like Ady with the Kent stuff, and the early jocks who pushed Jackies records, as it not only exposed us to her talent (and countless others), but also gave her/them the knowledge that they had recognition and respect in this country.

It may not have made them a fortune, but I bet it gave them some belated satisfaction.

Thanks Jackie.

She always regretted having to pull out of the second TAC Yarmouth weekender, the sweatshirts even have her name and a copy of Before It's Too Late on them.

Social source share

Yet more bad news regarding great artists, as always see as many of them as you can and let them know that their work is appreciated.

RIP

Karen & Rob

Oh What Heartaches ....... Top tune , TOP LADY .

Now sing with the angels . RIP

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest trickbag

remember kr doing an interview with her on

his saturday morning show when he was with

solar about 3/4 years ago,she was so full of

vitality, bubbly and excited by how well she was

known on the scene.

R.I.P.

RICKY.

Social source share

Jacquelene Edwards, better known as sixties soul singer Jackie Day, died on January 4th in a Los Angeles convalescent home after two years of poor health. She was 68.

Born in Eudora, Arkansas, on February 8, 1938, Jackie grew up in San Francisco. In 1960 she married saxophonist Big Jay McNeely and moved to Los Angeles. Around 1966-67, under the tutelage of Maxwell Davis, she recorded three singles for Modern Records, including 'Before It's Too Late', 'Oh What Heartaches' and 'What Kind of Man Are You?'. 'Before It's Too Late' was issued on the UK Sue label at the time and went on to be an underground hit on the early Northern Soul scene. As my own particular favourite that track was one of the first pencilled in when UK Kent records issued its first LP "For Dancers Only"; it closed side one of the album. We went on to issue five of her six released single sides (the last one 'If I'd Lose You' will be issued later this year) and also the previously unissued 1966 cut 'I Dig It The Most'.

About the same time as these recordings Jackie teamed up with a local businessman, Johnnie Cochrane, and cut the 45 'My Naughty Boy' for his Phelectron label. The record company was new and didn't really know how to promote a record and it immediately disappeared from sight. That was until UK DJs on the Northern Soul scene picked up on it in the mid 80s and its storming Motownesque beat made it a dancefloor smash in those clubs; ultimately pushing the price tag into four figures. Incidentally Mr Cochrane's son went on to be a top lawyer and represented OJ Simpson in his famous murder trial.

Jackie's next label stop was for Shreveport's Paula label where she recorded a very good single, I Can't Wait' / 'Guilty'. Finally re-uniting with Maxwell Davis she cut a final 45 for the re-formed Specialty label in 1969 'What's the Cost' / 'Free At Last'.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jackie in the mid 80s and she was a charming and intelligent companion for the evening. She took me to a fish and chip pub in Santa Monica so that I wouldn't get homesick and we had a fun evening talking about her career. We even planned for her to come over to the UK to sing at the TAC Yarmouth Northern Soul Weekender but she had to pull out for personal reasons which she regretted deeply. I still have my sweatshirt from that event with her name proudly on it.

Ady Croasdell with help from Jim Dawson.

This obituary will be in the latest edition of Ace's Right Track E magazine. E-mail Neil.scaplehorn@acerecords.com if you want to receive these monthly for Kent news and articles. www.acerecords.com

Social source share

Jacquelene Edwards, better known as sixties soul singer Jackie Day, died on January 4th in a Los Angeles convalescent home after two years of poor health. She was 68.

Born in Eudora, Arkansas, on February 8, 1938, Jackie grew up in San Francisco. In 1960 she married saxophonist Big Jay McNeely and moved to Los Angeles. Around 1966-67, under the tutelage of Maxwell Davis, she recorded three singles for Modern Records, including 'Before It's Too Late', 'Oh What Heartaches' and 'What Kind of Man Are You?'. 'Before It's Too Late' was issued on the UK Sue label at the time and went on to be an underground hit on the early Northern Soul scene. As my own particular favourite that track was one of the first pencilled in when UK Kent records issued its first LP "For Dancers Only"; it closed side one of the album. We went on to issue five of her six released single sides (the last one 'If I'd Lose You' will be issued later this year) and also the previously unissued 1966 cut 'I Dig It The Most'.

About the same time as these recordings Jackie teamed up with a local businessman, Johnnie Cochrane, and cut the 45 'My Naughty Boy' for his Phelectron label. The record company was new and didn't really know how to promote a record and it immediately disappeared from sight. That was until UK DJs on the Northern Soul scene picked up on it in the mid 80s and its storming Motownesque beat made it a dancefloor smash in those clubs; ultimately pushing the price tag into four figures. Incidentally Mr Cochrane's son went on to be a top lawyer and represented OJ Simpson in his famous murder trial.

Jackie's next label stop was for Shreveport's Paula label where she recorded a very good single, I Can't Wait' / 'Guilty'. Finally re-uniting with Maxwell Davis she cut a final 45 for the re-formed Specialty label in 1969 'What's the Cost' / 'Free At Last'.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jackie in the mid 80s and she was a charming and intelligent companion for the evening. She took me to a fish and chip pub in Santa Monica so that I wouldn't get homesick and we had a fun evening talking about her career. We even planned for her to come over to the UK to sing at the TAC Yarmouth Northern Soul Weekender but she had to pull out for personal reasons which she regretted deeply. I still have my sweatshirt from that event with her name proudly on it.

Ady Croasdell with help from Jim Dawson.

This obituary will be in the latest edition of Ace's Right Track E magazine. E-mail Neil.scaplehorn@acerecords.com if you want to receive these monthly for Kent news and articles. www.acerecords.com

Thanks Ady/Jim

Great information as usual. I spent a happy hour last night reading the sleeve notes from the 3 Dave Hamilton CDs. It seems like he was another great guy, but how sad he and Little Ann (Bridgeforth) died just as they were starting to get some real recognition over here..

Plus, Chico from the Tokays, who died a day or so after learning that his groups music was big on the northern scene.

I tell you, appreciate all these people now, because they ain't getting any younger.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert