Simon T

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Was there more than one Detroit Sound label or just different designs?

Also, does anyone know anything about this release?

Used to get plays back in the late 80's/early 90's decent enough, although probably a little too

garage-y for most.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

i know its not helping with your label quest, but it sounds like the same guy that recorded on rca stick to me and the great the blizzard ,an old john kingham spin

Social source share

I'm sure there was a discography of the label in an issue of "DETROIT CITY LIMITS" will check to see if i still have the issue in the morning.

Derek

Social source share

I'll se if I can add anymore later this afternoon when I get home...

222 The Wanted Here To Stay Teen World

223 The Wanted In The Midnight Hour Here To Stay

224 Robert Walker And The Night Riders Everything's All Right Keep On Running

225 Michael John Goodbye Baby You Had My Love

226 The Little Sisters Summer Rain Just A Boy

227 The Detroit Vibrations I'm The Man She's A Winner

228 The Little Sisters My Boyfriends Back The Summer Rain

229 Little Sisters Just A Boy First You Break My Heart

230 The Wanted Knock On Wood Lot's More Where They Came From

231 Michael John Dream Worlds I Need Your Love

232 The Wanted Sad Situation East Side Story

233 The York Mills Trio Sock It To 'Em Tigers....With Crowd Sock It To 'Em Tigers....Without Crowd

503 Sequins Try My Love He's Gonna Break Your Heart

Social source share

I'll se if I can add anymore later this afternoon when I get home...

222 The Wanted Here To Stay Teen World

223 The Wanted In The Midnight Hour Here To Stay

224 Robert Walker And The Night Riders Everything's All Right Keep On Running

225 Michael John Goodbye Baby You Had My Love

226 The Little Sisters Summer Rain Just A Boy

227 The Detroit Vibrations I'm The Man She's A Winner

228 The Little Sisters My Boyfriends Back The Summer Rain

229 Little Sisters Just A Boy First You Break My Heart

230 The Wanted Knock On Wood Lot's More Where They Came From

231 Michael John Dream Worlds I Need Your Love

232 The Wanted Sad Situation East Side Story

233 The York Mills Trio Sock It To 'Em Tigers….With Crowd Sock It To 'Em Tigers….Without Crowd

503 Sequins Try My Love He's Gonna Break Your Heart

Thanks Chalky.

Anyone heard any of the 2xx numbers in the list?

Surley the Seqins is a totaly different label, the different number and label design?

Social source share

Different label this part of DE-TO

THE SHOWSTOPPING SUPER SONICS EAR ACTION(FUNK) / WHAT KIND OF GIRL IS SHE (NICE SOUL)

detroit sound records.

post-4019-1168102165_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Thanks Chalky.

Anyone heard any of the 2xx numbers in the list?

Surley the Seqins is a totaly different label, the different number and label design?

The Sequins Detroit Sound is part of the Deto and Music Now label set up. It also seems that Tay is also related. Share the same address (9846 12th Street) both Taylor and Turner productions and Lovenote publishing. Also both written by one of the Brooks family.

If they are different labels then there was two Detroit Sound Recording Co's operating around the same time???

Edited by chalky
Social source share

As far as I know these were the two companies in question -

The DETROIT SOUND RECORDING Co. Owner Jack Taylor 9846 12th St. Detroit 48213. Connected to Tay & Awake, with just the one 45 by the Sequins.

DETROIT SOUND Recording Co. (1966-67) Owner Irv Steiner 12730 E Warren Detroit 48215, with all of the artists mentioned earlier.

I have never seen any tangible evidence that they were in any way connected. There were various labels all using the name of the city -

DETROIT GOLD

DETROIT INTERNATIONAL

DETROIT STAR

DETROIT TRAKS

DETROIT UNIVERSAL

I suppose DETROIT FREE PRESS too.

These were Soul labels, there will undoubtedly be others that covered C&W, Pop, Polka, Garage etc.

Keith Rylatt

Social source share

• 8 years later...

And that chap wrote the Hit Pack's Never Say No To Your baby with Robert Staunton who wrote some stuff for Motown but LA or Detroit. Were the Hit Pack black or white, anyone got a US scan?

I`v e always had a feeling that they may have been one of the Motown house bands, nothing but speculation about them but the lead singer to my ears sounds like Ronald Isley! Robert Dobyne has very similar vocals. Definately not the same line up as The Hit Pack on Colpix who also had the Staunton/Walker partnership a year earlier.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

And that chap wrote the Hit Pack's Never Say No To Your baby with Robert Staunton who wrote some stuff for Motown but LA or Detroit. Were the Hit Pack black or white, anyone got a US scan?

The Hit Pack were, apparently, Staunton and Walker's group - a vehicle to get their songs out on the market, perhaps as a "demo" to be picked up by a major artist to garner more sales for the writing team (Robert Staunton and Robert Walker).  It was a combination of a house band and singers.  On Colpix in New York, in 1964, the singers were Caucasian (I think the musicians were mixed).  They worked with Artie Kornfeld, making Pop music for the teen/surf cult.  After Staunton and Walker were signed by Berry Gordy to Motown (1965-66), Staunton and Walker used Black singers, with Robert Dobyne (of Chicago) on lead (and, I believe, with Staunton and Walker, themselves, as the background singers), and they worked in Detroit.  After some months with Motown, Staunton and Walker had a big problem with Gordy on producer credits, and Gordy and Dobyne had a falling out, as well.  So their tenure at Motown was a lot shorter than it might have been.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert