Made A Cock Up, What Shall I Do?

Pete S

Bought a record off ebay on december 5th...described as definite original...cost me £50. Have now found out it's not an original at all but a cheap bootleg pressing. I guess I should have checked all the facts first but surely, the fact that it was described as an original and the fact I bought it on the understanding it's an original - that should enable me to ask for my money back, shouldn't it?

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yes, it should be as described. Calling it a 'definite original' means it should be so IMO. Let's a have a link so we can all get outraged. :thumbsup:

I can't quite believe you've posted this in this manner Pete, you must be feeling very chilled out today :lol:

Social source share

Absolutely you should be able to get your money back. It's breach of contract and/or fraud/misrepresentation. You contracted and paid for a "definite original" and have been given a boot in exchange for your cash. Have you already gone back to the seller - what is he/she saying? Get on to Ebay too if no luck with seller. Let me know if you need a hand...

Rich

Social source share

Yes, it should be as described. Calling it a 'definite original' means it should be so IMO. Let's a have a link so we can all get outraged. :thumbsup:

I can't quite believe you've posted this in this manner Pete, you must be feeling very chilled out today :lol:

Have a look mate. How embarassing. Not only the mistake, but the actual record :lol: just thought it was cheap for an original!

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Pete i would definately get back in touch with the seller and demand my money back as he has advertised it as something it aint, if you paid through Paypal you can get in touch with them and put a dispute in. let him know that an expert has taken a look at it or you bought it for someone as a present and its only just come to light.

Either that or lump it which is a hard thing to take.

Good luck

Bearsy

Social source share

Absolutely you should be able to get your money back. It's breach of contract and/or fraud/misrepresentation. You contracted and paid for a "definite original" and have been given a boot in exchange for your cash. Have you already gone back to the seller - what is he/she saying? Get on to Ebay too if no luck with seller. Let me know if you need a hand...

Rich

No response from the seller Rich but to be fair I only contacted them at about 10am this morning

Social source share

Pete i would definately get back in touch with the seller and demand my money back as he has advertised it as something it aint, if you paid through Paypal you can get in touch with them and put a dispute in. let him know that an expert has taken a look at it or you bought it for someone as a present and its only just come to light.

Either that or lump it which is a hard thing to take.

Good luck

Bearsy

Nah if it was a tenner I'd lump it mate but not 50...I can by an awful lot of nappies and baby milk with 50 quid :-)

Social source share

pete..

whats the odds the seller insists it is an original and that you are wrong..

i know who i'd rather trust mate..

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Social source share

You should be able to claim through PayPal, but check this out first:

www.paypalsucks.com/

If they try to wash their hands of it, the Financial Ombudsman should be able to help kick their arses to follow up the investigation properly. PayPal have a terrible reputation of forever trying to take the easy way out of claims.

Social source share

GET HIS ADDRESS AND SORT IT :thumbsup:

BAZ A.

Hi Pete .....

The chap's statement of the record never being booted throws me a little bit ; I feel sure that I can remember the disc having being pressed - a white shiny label with black slightly ' embossed ' label design and lettering .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Pete

That is the 1975 styrene bootleg delta # 97748. The original has a yellow label onto vinyl. If you call me I can probably help..I'll go into more detail on the phone.

John

Social source share

Pete

That is the 1975 styrene bootleg delta # 97748. The original has a yellow label onto vinyl. If you call me I can probably help..I'll go into more detail on the phone.

John

John, I actually have two of these in my pressings box...I've got 3 copies now :boxing: but anyone armed with this information I at least have witnesses who agree it's a bootleg, cheers

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Pete

The guy has got a good feedback rating with over 700 transactions. Maybe he's made a genuine error in describing the record as such - i.e. he believed that it is an original.

So benefit of the doubt until you get a reply. I wouldn't have thought he'd want to receive negative feedback or be on the end of rapier verbals from you!

By the way I remember seeing these (white label) in the Goldmine shop in Manchester in the mid 90s - always seemed to have a plentiful stock.

Brian :boxing:

Social source share

So is this that "lesser copy" that you were going to give me a sound clip of? Thought it was taking you a long time to go upstairs :boxing:

While we're on this record, does anyone know anything abour the other labe design?

I got one from Soul Bowl in the mid 70's that had a much cruder drawing of a bird and "chirrup" coming out of the beak in kinda pencil script rather than the blocky writing on the usual label. It was yellow but if I remember rightly it could have been a deeper, almost mustard shade. I think the bird looked less parrotish and more like a crap drawing of a sparrow. There was no photo either.

Godz

Social source share

Guest Budgie

Don't really want to get involved but ''Exclusively licensed to Soul Galore Producers'' as clearly stated on label should have given a bit of a clue to it's originality.

Pete.

Social source share

Don't really want to get involved but ''Exclusively licensed to Soul Galore Producers'' as clearly stated on label should have given a bit of a clue to it's originality.

Pete.

Ha ha, yeah I know, but the weird thing is, it'd got some kind of protective film over the label, which changed the colour from bright white to more like a grey colour and I honestly didn't look properly. Having said that, the onus isn't really on me is it, I'm not the one saying it's an original..

Social source share

Talking of cock ups and ebay.

My wife bid on a small table & 2 chairs, for the living room. The sellers listing stated that it was collection only. My wife asks me " Where's Ripley?" I reply "Just outside Woking." The wife wins the table and chairs, my mate sorts out a van to pick up the said table and chairs. Then confirmation comes through of winning bid, with the sellers address. They do live in Ripley, Ripley DERBYSHIRE! :boxing:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Ha ha, yeah I know, but the weird thing is, it'd got some kind of protective film over the label, which changed the colour from bright white to more like a grey colour and I honestly didn't look properly. Having said that, the onus isn't really on me is it, I'm not the one saying it's an original..
Pete, the onus is on the buyer surely, as the seller may not know what he's selling. If it's a mistake on his behalf I'm sure he will replace, as 700+ positive feedbacks he seems honest enough to me, not to get a load of hassle for £50. I would give him 48hrs before I started jumping up and down as well, as if he's anything like me checking his email, he may not see it staight away. :boxing:
Social source share

Pete, the onus is on the buyer surely, as the seller may not know what he's selling. If it's a mistake on his behalf I'm sure he will replace, as 700+ positive feedbacks he seems honest enough to me, not to get a load of hassle for £50. I would give him 48hrs before I started jumping up and down as well, as if he's anything like me checking his email, he may not see it staight away. :thumbsup:

I never said I was going to give him any hassle, in fact I said above I only emailed him this morning...he's replied and said he didn't realise and will refund the money anyway. But do me a favour, onus on the buyer?? When the seller is describing the item incorrectly it's hardly my fault is it. In fact that's an unbelievable statement to come out with.

Social source share

There are but dominant colours are Blue and Green.

Hence the term "Budgies Heads" being applied to Sprouts

I would have thought it would be the none dominant variaty maybe,But its as rare as hens teeth,only ever seen two.

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Pete, the onus is on the buyer surely, as the seller may not know what he's selling. If it's a mistake on his behalf I'm sure he will replace, as 700+ positive feedbacks he seems honest enough to me, not to get a load of hassle for £50. I would give him 48hrs before I started jumping up and down as well, as if he's anything like me checking his email, he may not see it staight away. :thumbsup:

Can,t see why the onus is on the buyer, if he had listed it without the word "original or not a boot" then maybe the buyer has a responsibility to check exactly what he is buying, but by telling you that it is not a boot he assumes full responsibility.

Edited by bleusuperb
Social source share

I never said I was going to give him any hassle, in fact I said above I only emailed him this morning...he's replied and said he didn't realise and will refund the money anyway. But do me a favour, onus on the buyer?? When the seller is describing the item incorrectly it's hardly my fault is it. In fact that's an unbelievable statement to come out with.

I think if you nread the consumer credit act the onus is on the seller. He did state guaranteed original and as it isn't an original the onus is very much on the seller. Glad you sorted it and nice to see someone honest enough to admit a mistake and give cash back with no fuss.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert