• Replies 33
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I first heard it on a Graham Ellis tape circa 1986

Same here!

I remember Rod playing it at Thorne too!

Mark Houghton bagged a copy on his travels in the USA - he tells a good tale of how he came by it too :P

I was lucky enough to win a copy in the very early days of evilbay and the seller had two copies...........so one stayed with me and the other went to the aforementioned Sean Hampsey, who has been in my debt to this day cos i sold it him at next to nowt :lol::):no:

Brill ender to any night :D

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Same here!

Mark Houghton bagged a copy on his travels in the USA - he tells a good tale of how he came by it too :P

I was lucky enough to win a copy in the very early days of evilbay and the seller had two copies...........so one stayed with me and the other went to the aforementioned Sean Hampsey, who has been in my debt to this day cos i sold it him at next to nowt :lol::):no:

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

so what is it worth now?

Social source share

Same here!

Mark Houghton bagged a copy on his travels in the USA - he tells a good tale of how he came by it too :D

Brill ender to any night :lol:

Cheers

Steve

You sold me a copy too - within minutes of me arriving @ Soul Essence one Friday....and after me vowing I wouldn't buy any vinyl that weekend :P Oh go on then.....just the one....ooh and that.....ahh......oops.... :D

Girf

Social source share

Same here!

I was lucky enough to win a copy in the very early days of evilbay and the seller had two copies...........so one stayed with me and the other went to the aforementioned Sean Hampsey, who has been in my debt to this day cos i sold it him at next to nowt :thumbsup::wicked::lol:

Cheers

Steve

You hero Mr Plumb!

What you didn't say was that it was ME that you beat in the bidding war on Evil Bay (back in the day) and in response I sent you a very unpleasant email questioning your parentage!

I can hardly believe that you forgave me for the torent of abuse.... but, because you are a truly beautiful person, not only did you not send the boys round... but you also got a copy for me too!

You're right, I will be forever in your debt.

But after all these years, don't you think its time I stopped having to wear the boy scout uniform... when I visit you in your room at Yarmouth?

:yes:

Yes, it was always a Rod Dearlove tune to me... Late 80's, thorne. Magic!

Very few copies around that I'm aware of...... only 4 or 5 known?

My copy

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Rod (does he still have it?)

Anymore out there?

Not only very expensive. I'd have said unobtainable.

Sean

Social source share

You hero Mr Plumb!

What you didn't say was that it was ME that you beat in the bidding war on Evil Bay (back in the day) and in response I sent you a very unpleasant email questioning your parentage!

I can hardly believe that you forgave me for the torent of abuse.... but, because you are a truly beautiful person, not only did you not send the boys round... but you also got a copy for me too!

But after all these years, don't you think its time I stopped having to wear the boy scout uniform... when I visit you in your room at Yarmouth?

:thumbsup:

My copy

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Anymore out there?

Sean

I'm sure the first time I heard it was via Tom Jackson @ an early Southport, and as mentioned Graeme Ellis had a copy. Where did those copies end up ??? Sure there must be a few around but yes, very scarce. Soon as I saw the copy @ Essence I had to grab it...

Girf

Social source share

I'm sure the first time I heard it was via Tom Jackson @ an early Southport, and as mentioned Graeme Ellis had a copy. Where did those copies end up ??? Sure there must be a few around but yes, very scarce. Soon as I saw the copy @ Essence I had to grab it...

Girf

I think I may have a copy ..but most of my LP's and 12's have been packed away since 1995 :rolleyes:

Social source share

You sold me a copy too - within minutes of me arriving @ Soul Essence one Friday....and after me vowing I wouldn't buy any vinyl that weekend :lol: Oh go on then.....just the one....ooh and that.....ahh......oops.... :D

Girf

Bloody Hell, you're right...............need to amend me story :rolleyes:

Thinking about it, it was THREE copies i bagged, the seller had TWO EXTRA copies :shades:

Happy days at Plumb Towers that day i can tell you :wicked:

BUT at least they went to two top guys thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

You hero Mr Plumb!

:shades:

My copy

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Anymore out there?

Sean

Hi Sean

Just amended me original story to say i ended up with 3 copies (yours, mine, Girth), i'd forgot (honest!)

....and yes, forgot to omit that it was you i outbid..........................you always was a tight bugger thinking you'd get it for that paltry amount :rolleyes:

....in fact, didn't i feel so sorry for you that i sold it you at what you'd bid for it on evilbay?????

...so for that reason alone, i'm afraid the scouts uniform will have to be worn for a few more years in me room at Yarmouth, in fact Girth should really come dressed as a beaver too :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

There have been two copies up for sale on ebay in the last six months, both sold around the £120-150 mark, I should have had a go, but didn't, Silly me.

I seem to remember Steve Davis playing it on the radio as well or when he was interviewed, but I may be wrong.

The story of Marks find still makes me chuckle, I think theres a photo of them all looking through tunes and right on top of a pile of records is the Gregg Jackson and I think if you look carefully you can see what it is.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest Adrian

There have been two copies up for sale on ebay in the last six months, both sold around the £120-150 mark, I should have had a go, but didn't, Silly me.

I seem to remember Steve Davis playing it on the radio as well or when he was interviewed, but I may be wrong.

The story of Marks find still makes me chuckle, I think theres a photo of them all looking through tunes and right on top of a pile of records is the Gregg Jackson and I think if you look carefully you can see what it is.

Remember missing out on this about 5-6 years back on ebay, went for just under 50 dollars! think I went too about 48 dollars, still annoys me :angry:

Social source share

My copy

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Anymore out there?

Andy Whitmore just pm'd me and he has one!

So that's, in summary (so far)...

Definately have a copy

Sean Hampsey

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Andy Whitmore

May have a copy

Richard Searling ?

Simon M ?

Graeme Ellis ?

Tom Jackson ?

Rod Dearlove ? (I reckon that if Steve played this on the radio (I don't think he did - I've got all of his shows on tape) it would have been Rods copy.... which I reckon came from Graeme Ellis

So, 7-8 copies out there, so far... Anyone got a copy for Ted?

Sean

Social source share

Remember missing out on this about 5-6 years back on ebay, went for just under 50 dollars! think I went too about 48 dollars, still annoys me :angry:

:no::yes::yes::yes::yes:

This was the one i won which turned into 3 copies :lol::lol::yes:

Think my top bid was summat like $300 too :thumbsup:

You and Sean wanted it for nowt you tight gets wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Definately have a copy

Sean Hampsey

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Andy Whitmore

May have a copy

Richard Searling ?

Simon M ?

Graeme Ellis ?

Tom Jackson ?

Rod Dearlove ? (I reckon that if Steve played this on the radio (I don't think he did - I've got all of his shows on tape) it would have been Rods copy.... which I reckon came from Graeme Ellis

Sean

hahah That reads as a good Modern soul DJ Line up :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Adrian

:yes::yes::yes::yes:yes.gif

This was the one i won which turned into 3 copies :lol::yes::no:

Think my top bid was summat like $300 too :lol:

You and Sean wanted it for nowt you tight gets wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Cheers

Steve

And to think I just needed to email the seller and prob could've got one. I had just won a Hunts Determination from the same seller and thought the cover of Gregg Jackson was worth a punt to save on some postage, still its kinda nice to know I was no where near your top limit, so I had no chance!

The seller had lots of nice, mint lp's then all of a sudden, loads of neg feedback and not to be seen again.

So Steve, fancy selling to me for say 100 dollars? 100% profit is not to be sniffed at you know! :thumbsup:

Social source share

And to think I just needed to email the seller and prob could've got one. I had just won a Hunts Determination from the same seller and thought the cover of Gregg Jackson was worth a punt to save on some postage, still its kinda nice to know I was no where near your top limit, so I had no chance!

The seller had lots of nice, mint lp's then all of a sudden, loads of neg feedback and not to be seen again.

So Steve, fancy selling to me for say 100 dollars? 100% profit is not to be sniffed at you know! :thumbsup:

Yeah funny how dealers come and go on ebay! Seemed a good guy at the time too!

Even the temptation of 100% profit won't take it from Plumb Towers I'm afraid :lol:

Let's hope no one starts a 'other good deals on ebay' thread............or i might have to tell you about the Tony Aitken LP :yes::no:

Although Sean can top the lot with his Robbie Lawson :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Even the temptation of 100% profit won't take it from Plumb Towers I'm afraid :thumbsup:

Now how did I guess that :lol:

Is the Tony Aiken, the Unity discoey lp? Nice, and no I don't wanna know how little you paid.

Social source share

Definately have a copy

Sean Hampsey

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Andy Whitmore

May have a copy

Richard Searling ?

Simon M ?

Graeme Ellis ?

Tom Jackson ?

Sean

Add Micky Gynn...Number 9

Is Graeme Ellis still about ?

Mick

Social source share

Although Sean can top the lot with his Robbie Lawson :boxing:

Cheers

Steve

Mmmmmmmmmmmm as a bargain, Steve, I think so.

But would be interested to know if anyone else ever got anywhere near it!

Robby Lawson "I Have Searched" Kyser

MINT CONDITION

$10

Buy It Now!

Not the best record ever (although some might say so) but a pretty good price nontheless.

Not complaining :D

:P

Sean

Social source share

Definately have a copy

Sean Hampsey

Steve Plumb

Mark Houghton

Gareth Donovon

Andy Whitmore

May have a copy

Richard Searling ?

Simon M ?

Graeme Ellis ?

Tom Jackson ?

Sean

Sean , I found 10-15 sealed copies of the Gregg Jackson LP about 7-8 years ago in a shop in Sydney Down Under . It was a shop which primarily stocked religious records. So couldn't be that rare really. Ended up selling them at $20 each at record fairs over the next year or two not really knowing it was a modern soul thing ! That shop also had multiple copies of collectable LP's by Mildred Clark (Keep Trying), Don Thomas on Myrrh, Robert Banks (on Verve with Mighty Good Way) etc etc . Shop no longer exists I'm afraid ! :thumbsup:

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Sean , I found 10-15 sealed copies of the Gregg Jackson LP about 7-8 years ago in a shop in Sydney Down Under . It was a shop which primarily stocked religious records. So couldn't be that rare really. Ended up selling them at $20 each at record fairs over the next year or two not really knowing it was a modern soul thing ! That shop also had multiple copies of collectable LP's by Mildred Clark (Keep Trying), Don Thomas on Myrrh, Robert Banks (on Verve with Mighty Good Way) etc etc . Shop no longer exists I'm afraid ! :unsure:

Sounds like an exceptional find to me.

The Gregg Jackson LP has been acknowledged in the UK as a serious rarity since the late 80's.

Looks like Ted has been looking for it for quite a while, I was chasing it for over 10 years and I'm sure that those 'very few' who own it over here paid a pretty penny.... and wouldn't sell for less than a few hundred squid.

Pity you didn't know what you'd got at the time. You'd have cleaned up with them over here, especially given the quality of the tune, it's 'Private Press' status and that it's long been a recognised 'Modern' monster.

Do you still have one? Did the copies go to Soul collectors... or just sold randomly at the fairs?

Certainly seems to me that there are fewer copies in the UK than what you found in one day, down under.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert