Sam Moore - Jools Holland

45cellar

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yes... along with that weller bloke... murderin' Ray Charles!

:thumbsup:

Just what was PW attempting to do ? Had guests round at Chez Burton for a little NYE soiree , and one of them commented he wanted slapping for desecrating the great man's memory . I agree .

Hope everyone has come through intact from whatever their celebrations were .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I think you do weller a bit of a dis service ,he does like soul music so tends to do these things more as a tribute to great artists like Ray Charles, thought Sam Moore was quality though.

I acknowledge the fact that PW has an appreciation of / for soul music ; His work with The Style Council in parts was certainly soulful ; this was demonstrated clearly enough with the covers of songs he did on his recent album .

In respect of his performance on JH , It takes a brave man - or woman - to do justice to a Ray Charles song : I feel that PW was not the person to do it , tribute or not .

I agree , Sam Moore was first rate .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

If Paul Weller deserves a slap for murdering Ray Charles what does Amy Wingehouse deserve for her part in the terrible duet with him, f*ckin' awful. Karen said she looks like a bloke in drag :wicked: got better side burns than Elvis :thumbsup:

Happy New Year :sleep3:

I purposely did not mention AW contribution ..... What do you mean she looks like a bloke in drag ? that is a disrespectful to chaps who drag up ......

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special Guest DJ - Torch & Blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

info : Malc Burton 07748 278275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

As a soul lover...Sam Moore was the only one to 'move me'....

As a music lover...Sam Moore was the only one to 'move me'

Amy Winehouse I was looking forward to..after seeing some videos on YouTube..very dissapointing..

Paul Weller...nada

But the biggest load of horse muck.. was Marc Almond..a poor man's Boy George..a disgrace that they let him sing the Classic 'Games People Play'..the man has no voice..god..there must be better people who were willing enough to stay up till midnight on New Year's Eve..

Back to my DVD's....

Barry

Social source share

Hi All

You probably know already but Sam Moore is on Jools Holland Show, Now :)

I missed most of the show, but surely Sam Moore was DJing at Spondon? :shades:

Unfortunately I did not miss the Winehouse/Weller offering of Grapevine... truly awful! :angry:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i missed most of it but saw end and Sam Moore looked good as did Paul Weller a legend well both but Amy Winehouse looked bad, maybe not her best performance.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Got me thinking about some other great soul performances on Jools Holland's Hootenanny.

Was it last year that Irma Thomas was on?

And a couple of years before that Solomon Burke??

MB

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I remember seeing Solomon Burke on there

man he was sitting down when he sang and just blew the whole place apart.........ABSOLUTE DYNAMITE.

Social source share

Just what was PW attempting to do ? Had guests round at Chez Burton for a little NYE soiree , and one of them commented he wanted slapping for desecrating the great man's memory . I agree .

Hope everyone has come through intact from whatever their celebrations were .

Malc Burton

I don't know why people on here consistently want to slag Weller off. He and the JH Big Band did a very passable version of Doctor and I doubt very much that he stood there and thought to himself "I'll show them soulie bastards how it should be done" and I would guess that he probably loves that record too and just had a good time reviving it on what was meant to be a party atmosphere. Besides, I bet if Ray Charles had had a go at Down In A Tube Station At Midnight, it would've been shite (and let's face facts, the great Ray did record a hell of a lot of shite alongside some fantastic classics).

Social source share

Besides, I bet if Ray Charles had had a go at Down In A Tube Station At Midnight, it would've been shite

PMSL I like your logic here

we always end up watching JH and I fkn can't stand the smarmy twat and his line up of arse kissing mates. Plus the thing that riles me the most is the way every act is introduced on screen as 'Jools Holland and his wanky bank WITH'.... and then 'proper' musicians...

the fact is, as stated, Sam Moore blew away everyone else without even trying, many of whom were trying their hardest to sound like soul singers, and making millions selling music to kids who no doubt would happily trample all over Sam and his generation to get a step closer to some identikit "indie" type band/singer. Placed next to a real soul singer, despite the questionable cardigan, you can't help but feel sorry for them as they'll never get there.....

Anyway, glad I got that off my chest. I could go on about JH and his new year twattenanny but will take a deep breath and stop there. Can't wait for next year, I love a moan I do :thumbsup:

Social source share

I missed the JH Hoot this year, being up in auld reekie for a wind torn hogmanay. I did see it last year though & thought irma thomas's performance a little on the muted side, as if she was holding back or something. I agree with martint that JH is an appalling sycophant, very difficult to stomach indeed, but he's bringing the howard tates of this world to a potentially new & cd buying public & they, I'm sure, must be grateful for that. as far as PW is concerned, just not my cup of tea, then or now.

if actually pushed, I'd have to endorse elvis costello, a tremendous lyricist & bonafide soulboy, as revealed on the wonderful 'get happy' album & recent collaboration with alan toussaint. I've also been reliably informed that he's a cousin of mine. blood is thicker than water, oh' yes...

happy new year all!!

Social source share

I think if people are honest with themselves they won't get too carried away everytime someone who is classed as an icon appears on a current show. Sam Moore sang extremely well for a man of his age and certainly contributed to a typical JH show. He didn't blow everyone away IMHO, it was a joy to see an icon such as Sam on the show, but let's keep everything else in perspective.

Paul Weller did Ok for a live set, and as has been stated; he is an honest soul fan who would in no way try to somehow emulate RC, it was indeed more of a tribute, as indeed was the marvin gaye effort. Amy Whinehouse unfortunately let herself down by being quite obviously plastered, she has a voice, but is also a bit of a rebel without a cause, when she settles down, and if she survives I think she has the potential to bring out classic soul tunes her undoubted talent can deliver.

Social source share

I think if people are honest with themselves they won't get too carried away everytime someone who is classed as an icon appears on a current show. Sam Moore sang extremely well for a man of his age and certainly contributed to a typical JH show. He didn't blow everyone away IMHO, it was a joy to see an icon such as Sam on the show, but let's keep everything else in perspective.

Right on there :thumbsup: , but what made it less of a joy was that horrific Xmas cardy that he was wearing.

If you ask me it was Seasick Steve who blew everyone else away & I thought Vic Reeves was better than Weller, the smarmy southern rock star ****er. Best of all was Marc Almond in a suit & tie - was he on his way to Court or something? Top entertainment all round Jools!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert