Rare Soul Albums

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

What are the rarest soul albums both 6ts and 7ts? I collect albums as much as 45s as there are some great tunes hidden away on albums that rarely get played. Also you can pick up a track on the original format that is also an original release much cheaper than the 45. A case in point would be I just bought JACKIE WILSON album BEAUTIFUL DAY (BRUNSWICK 1972). I paid £15 for it and wanted it mostly for BECAUSE OF YOU, which would set me back £150 from some record dealers. Any one else pick up original albums with tracks that are pricey on 45 format?

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

these are cheap at lp but expensive at 45.

James Walsh Gypsy Band "same" (rca) has "Cuz It's You, Girl"

Pratt & Mcclain "Featuring Happy Days" (Reprise) has "Wathersign"

Edited by Preben
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I also like albums and agree there are some little gems out there. I recently bought 'A Little Knight Music' - Gladys Knight for No One Can Love You More and although it's considered ok to play stuff off albums not released on 45, is it ok to play tracks off albums that were released as 45s? In some, if not most cases, the album would have been released first and the 45 tracks taken from it wouldn't they? Making the album the original recording (i know some album and 45 tracks differ).

Just a thought thumbsup.gif

Matt

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I also like albums and agree there are some little gems out there. I recently bought 'A Little Knight Music' - Gladys Knight for No One Can Love You More and although it's considered ok to play stuff off albums not released on 45, is it ok to play tracks off albums that were released as 45s? In some, if not most cases, the album would have been released first and the 45 tracks taken from it wouldn't they? Making the album the original recording (i know some album and 45 tracks differ).

Just a thought :)

Matt

Hi Matt

Can and worms spring immediately to mind whistling.gif .

Brian :lol:

Social source share

Bought 'There Is' by the Dells for 'Run For Cover', it's switched places now though & the album is worth more than the single. The funny old world of etc etc.

There is a bonus though, you get the album only version of Higher & Higher !

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Just a thought thumbsup.gif

Matt

I don't understand. Just when exactly did it become NOT "considered OK" to play album tracks which have been released on 45? Do you mean for "Northern" DJs? In the early days I remember being somewhat wary of buying albums - but that was C.1969!! I find the whole idea totally bizarre! However, one bloke I know now buys NOTHING BUT albums, which I feel is going from one extreme to the other!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Matt

Can and worms spring immediately to mind whistling.gif .

Brian :)

Haven't heard the "Can And Worms" album. Is it good? :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

What are the rarest soul albums both 6ts and 7ts? I collect albums as much as 45s as there are some great tunes hidden away on albums that rarely get played. Also you can pick up a track on the original format that is also an original release much cheaper than the 45. A case in point would be I just bought JACKIE WILSON album BEAUTIFUL DAY (BRUNSWICK 1972). I paid £15 for it and wanted it mostly for BECAUSE OF YOU, which would set me back £150 from some record dealers. Any one else pick up original albums with tracks that are pricey on 45 format?

I think the West Coast Revival album on LAX (1978) is pretty scarce, as is Mike James Kirkland LP?. I remember finding a "High Voltage" album on Australian CBS in mid-1975, just after hearing Levine play "Country Road" at The Highland Room. Also picked up Skullsnaps album at a record fair in the early 1980s for a quid, believe it or not! Had several 100% Pure Poison LPs from market stalls and gave all (but one) away, and sold the 45 for next to nothing! Ah well... sad.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Everyone seems to want the easy route into collecting rare records, why not get a few years behind you,look and learn, travel a bit, talk to people, make yourself known, have some tapes to swap.............do the groundwork.................lastly with the advent of the www, you have an absolute plethora of information........but then AGAIN you probably want someone else to tell you what they think is rare/acceptable.......DO ME A FAVOUR.

BRETT

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

........but then AGAIN you probably want someone else to tell you what they think is rare/acceptable.......DO ME A FAVOUR.

BRETT

Andy's post suggested nothing of the sort, so I don't think it was necessary for you to use capitals Brett: it makes it looks like you're SHOUTING at him. :thumbsup:

Maybe you were? :rolleyes:

If so, no wonder younger people on the scene sometimes feel intimidated. Anyway, must dash- got a DVD of 'Logan's Run' to watch.....

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

I don't understand. Just when exactly did it become NOT "considered OK" to play album tracks which have been released on 45? Do you mean for "Northern" DJs? In the early days I remember being somewhat wary of buying albums - but that was C.1969!! I find the whole idea totally bizarre! However, one bloke I know now buys NOTHING BUT albums, which I feel is going from one extreme to the other!

I don't think theirs owt wrong with playing lps personally regardless whether the track is on 45 or not.

Social source share

Garland Green's Uni outing Jealous Kinda Fella well worth picking up, should get it cheap too from e-bay. Most of his Northern 45's on there.

Social source share

Everyone seems to want the easy route into collecting rare records, why not get a few years behind you,look and learn, travel a bit, talk to people, make yourself known, have some tapes to swap.............do the groundwork.................lastly with the advent of the www, you have an absolute plethora of information........but then AGAIN you probably want someone else to tell you what they think is rare/acceptable.......DO ME A FAVOUR.

BRETT

we all asked questions Brett when we started, I know I did and still do, it's one of the best ways to learn.

Social source share

I've never really seriously collected albums but i have picked up over the years a few of the key ones connected with the rare soul theme, no collection should be without the likes of The Hesitations - Soul Superman on Kapp, Freddy Butler - With A Dab Of Soul - Kapp, Darell Banks on Atco, Tempests - Smash, Baby Washington - Veep, Garland Green - Uni, Magnificent Men - Capitol, Metros - Rca, Gloria Barnes - Maple, Williams And Watson - Okeh, Spellbinders - Columbia, Reflections - Golden World, Artistics - Okeh and perhaps one of the most complete quality rare soul albums ever made and perhaps the only other album to rival the stunning Hesitations holy grail 'Soul Superman' is The Artistics - 'I'm Gonna Miss You' album on Brunswick from around 1967 this can match The Hestitaions track for track, everyone is a winner, just a genius must have LP, i love this album so much i have it on CD, Original USA and a Canadian Brunswick copy,every track is special, pure perfection......... could let this whole album go at a gig and it would work.

Sweeter Than Sugar

Glad I Met You

There Is No Sadness

Love Song

Hope We Have

I'm Gonna Miss You

Girl I Need You

I'll Always Love You

It's Gonna Be Alright

Why, Why, Why

You're Wonderful

On And On

Merry Christmas - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

I also remember when it was OK to play indemand tracks Like "Honest To Goodness" off the Funky Bottom Congregation Album, and "Change Your Ways" off Just A Little Bit Of Soul. That was when It was what was in the groove that counted!. Not re issues, but legitemate first (UK) issue.

Paul

Not really a newby, but having problems with my paul r account.

Edited by PaulR
Social source share

Guest stromberg

Don Gardner "We're gonna make it big", Master 5, very expensive on 45, very cheap to get on the album "lay a little lovin'" by baby Washington and Don Gardner...great track :thumbsup:

Social source share

ben e king - larry williams and johnny watson - esther phillips - the mighty marvelows - garnet mimms X 3 - jive five - vi velasco - ruby andrews - herbie goins -roosvelt grier - deon jackson - chris bartley - chris clark - barbra mcnier - irma thomas - o jays - billy butler - shorty long - jackie wilson - long john baldry - spyder turner - clyde mcphatter - major lance - johnny nash - originals - freddie butler - incredibles - archie bell - the metros - the tempests - jackie edwards - baby washington - hesitations - timi yuro - glaydys knight - spellbinders - skull snaps - rufus lumley - ketty lester -bobby bland.. freda payne - shades of blue - earl van dyke - big maybelle - artistics - gene chandler - barbara lewis - eddie holman - carla thomas - little anthony - maxine brown - barbrara mercer - the kelly brothers - gino (atac) - mandrill -chuck jackson - then there is the Fania stuff and the Motown.....then there are the 60s uk compilations....all of the top of my head -

Perhaps they should do a LP top 20 in the expert on soul books? loads of massive tracks on lps!

I could do a great set without even getting a 45 out! Always looking out for 33s buddy!

I also felt that buying LPs gave me a better understanding of the artists broader style of Soul music and not just for the Northern dancer that i purchased the album for!

Too Original to slag down - too big to fit into the DJs 45 boxes - Happy Christmas Mossy!!!

Social source share

BRETT

hey mate - he was only asking a question - what an arrogant reply! He started a thread on the LP subject which unless you are an expert on is a great question? Are you an expert on quality 33 releases? I am sure you must be or you would have not been so arrogant!!!! By the way who is "Everyone" and what is an "Easy route" Happy Christmas Soul Experts Everywhere (Even Ambiguous ones)

Social source share

I don't think theirs owt wrong with playing lps personally regardless whether the track is on 45 or not.

As usual Chalky, you bring some good sense to the discussion ...

Personally, I have much less respect for so-called DJ's who moan "I couldn't be arsed carrying LP's about..."

as an excuse for just being ignorant & lazy DJ's

:thumbsup::sleep3:

Social source share

Excellent point. Superbly put.

:thumbsup::sleep3:thumbsup.gif

Sean

Gotta agree :ohmy:

few more from me,

Monitors - Greetings, two great dancers on the lp, both lp only

Righteous Brothers - Souled Out, contains the fab It's Up To You never released on 45 plus 4 or 5 other great blue eyed soul tracks.

Ann Peeble - If This Is Heaven.

Fantastic Four - Gotta Have Your Love.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

BRETT

I just buy records I like because of the quality of the music not the rariety factor. My ego isn't wrapped up in how rare my records are. I was just curious about the rariety of some records. I have been into Soul for over 16 years and growing up in the west of Ireland it wasnt so easy to access the sounds apart from compilation albums like kent and charly stuff. I used to travel a long distance to allnighters in England to buy new sounds. Now that I live here collecting is much easier. If somebody had been as rude to me as you have when I first came over to England I would have been well shocked. Im really glad that the majority of people on the scene are friendly and helpful and not so arrogant. Not everyone is a "vinyl expert" as some of us spend more time listening and dancing to the music.

Social source share

I also remember when it was OK to play indemand tracks Like "Honest To Goodness" off the Funky Bottom Congregation Album, and "Change Your Ways" off Just A Little Bit Of Soul. That was when It was what was in the groove that counted!. Not re issues, but legitemate first (UK) issue.

Paul

Spot on!, no UK 45 legally available, only on this UK RCA compilation album. :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

LP's i consider maybe false but stuff like Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher seems rarer compared to the single.

Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - a New Religion

Jimmy Ruffin - The Jimmy Ruffin way

but again it's not how much they are worth as i have albums by The Tramps, New York City, Real Thing, Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes which to me are great all 70's stuff.

Social source share

BRETT

Perhaps he is interested in listening to the music not just collecting it. Sorry, but your response seems a bit juvenile to me, Killer.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Guest recordman

Pick these LP's up if you see them

Willie Hutch - Soul Portrait - RCA

Willie Hutch - Ode To My Lady - Motown

Walter Jackson - Speak Her Name - Okeh

Sandra Wright - Wounded Woman - Demon

Chuck Jackson-Through All Times - ABC

Smoke - Risin' - J Bridge Records ( Brilliant 70s Album )

Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time - Dakar ( Got To Be One Of The Best Albums )

Lou Courtney - I'm In Need Of Love - Epic ( Incredible Album )

Bobby Thurston - Sweetest Piece Of The Pie - Mainline

All I Would Say About Playing Albums Out Is That They Tend To Be Lower Volume And Sometimes Don't Come Across The Same Even Over A Good System

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Paul

Quite right! I remember Graham Warr playing "Honest To Goodness" off the UK album at the same time as Gladys Knight's magnificent "Ain't You Glad You Chose Love" (album only), and "There's A Ghost In My House" from a Motown compilation album.

Social source share

Pick these LP's up if you see them

Willie Hutch - Soul Portrait - RCA

Willie Hutch - Ode To My Lady - Motown

Walter Jackson - Speak Her Name - Okeh

Sandra Wright - Wounded Woman - Demon

Chuck Jackson-Through All Times - ABC

Smoke - Risin' - J Bridge Records ( Brilliant 70s Album )

Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time - Dakar ( Got To Be One Of The Best Albums )

Lou Courtney - I'm In Need Of Love - Epic ( Incredible Album )

Bobby Thurston - Sweetest Piece Of The Pie - Mainline

All I Would Say About Playing Albums Out Is That They Tend To Be Lower Volume And Sometimes Don't Come Across The Same Even Over A Good System

bobby thurston, well hard on original mainline but available on reissue, fckuing excellent buy it now every track on the just ask me side is awesome

Social source share

Anthony White 'Yes You Need Love' from his Philly album is a prime example of that.

Social source share

I just listened to Chi-Lites "Give It Away" earlier today. I don't know how much was released on 45 from this album but it's a pleasure from start to end. Bobby Glenn "Hey Love" from "Shout it out" on koala. Endless reasons to buy albums.

Social source share

Its obvious to me, Many SOUL fans collect, realise and appreciate the importance of the humble Original 33 !

Perhaps it is time for somebody to come up with an essential top 6Ts 33 rpm Soul book? (What a nice book that would be with all the great covers?) Or are we happy just picking them up cheaper (For now?) ....with the extra tunes on....and lovley old Soul pictures and sleeve notes???? :D:unsure::D Answers on a 12 inch postcard please!!!

Social source share

Its obvious to me, Many SOUL fans collect, realise and appreciate the importance of the humble Original 33 !

Perhaps it is time for somebody to come up with an essential top 6Ts 33 rpm Soul book? (What a nice book that would be with all the great covers?) Or are we happy just picking them up cheaper (For now?) ....with the extra tunes on....and lovley old Soul pictures and sleeve notes???? :D:unsure::D Answers on a 12 inch postcard please!!!

Been thinking the same thing about an L.P collectors book.....anyone?...John Manship???

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Perhaps he is interested in listening to the music not just collecting it. Sorry, but your response seems a bit juvenile to me, Killer.

Well i am under 60................... i have an opinion, but it seems that unless i come from that God awful sugary sweet world that lives at the bottom of your rainbow, then i will be marginalised for that very thing...An OPINION..............Jesus , thank God i am me........... and not you...............

Brett..........

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Well i am under 60................... i have an opinion, but it seems that unless i come from that God awful sugary sweet world that lives at the bottom of your rainbow, then i will be marginalised for that very thing...An OPINION..............Jesus , thank God i am me........... and not you...............

Brett..........

Now......... now......... calm....... down

Social source share

The Chosen Few Taking All The Love I CanWhich is The Adventurers with all their recordings from the Blue Rock lable.

Was a lucky girl xmas morning - woke to find this in my xmas stocking from Chalky - nice surprise been on my want's list a few month's - excellent LP - this is a very good buy as not only does it have "The birth of a playboy" n "I've caught you cheating" but all the other track's worthy of a listen....

Karen

Social source share

Now......... now......... calm....... down

:wicked: <----------The Killer Everybody else -------------> :shades:

biggrin.gif HAPPY NEW YEAR! :thumbup:

Oh nearly forgot........Tony Middleton LP on Speed records...............Fantastic! Gladys Knight on MAXX - Very nice LP Marva Whitney on KING - Great Funky Soul........JOHNNY NASH - Teardrops in the rain - on Cadet - All his great Argo sides on one disc - Fantastic LP !

Social source share

And Tina Mason on Capitol - Thants a nice Lp and a good looking girl too! errrrrrrrrrrrrr Terry Callier..............The Sapphires "Who do you love" on Swan................Maxine Brown and Chuck Jacksons done a few Lps on Wand errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Carla Thomas........................Spankey Wilson...........Gene Chandler.....Big Maybelle...............Barbara Lewis...........Marlena Shaw......The Vibrations...........Baby Washington..........Bla Bla Bla

LPOKBYMe! :wicked:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert