Oldham Based Record Company (1960's)

Are there any Lankies on here who know anything about an Oldham (Royton) based discount record company from back in the 1960's.

Seems this company, Egmont Records Ltd, had a few deals with US companies and via these the outfit released soul, jazz, blues tracks on 3 different labels back in the 60's --   Egmont, (Egmont) Viking & Mecca ... putting out release by the likes of Sonny Til & the Orioles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Pearl Bailey and a couple of US jazz guys. No doubt, the Rosetta Tharpe release was inspired by her local Granda TV show appearance (filmed on Chorlton-cum-Hardy railway Stn in 64) .... no idea at all why they'd also license US jazz albums for release or the Sonny Til & the Orioles LP (guess they came from a common US source though).

The record company's official address was Broadway, Royton but it seems they were actually based out of an old mill building that was actually down Holden Fold Lane (which runs off Broadway). The building had seen far better days by the 60's and was demolished soon after to make way for new housing. I have no idea if Egmont actually pressed up their own records but guess they would have done so. Again, I don't know if they printed up their labels & album sleeves themselves or used a local printing firm to take on this task.

Someone local to the area must know something about this outfit ... for instance, did they ever press / release anything on 7" ??

Linked bits : -   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-27256401

EgmontLPmont.jpg

RoytonMap.jpg

RoytonHFLanemappic.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Sorry Robert. One or two of us from Oldham on this site, and I think I may be the oldest, but I've never heard of them. I used to live just off Broadway in Chadderton, right next to Royton. My aunt and uncle even used to live on the street next to Holden Fold if my memory serves me right. Royton youth club was where I was first exposed to "our" music, end of 1970. Never heard of Egmont records once. I'll ask around one or two old friends who may still live in the area.

Social source share

Thanks Joey ... there was very little known about the operations of Oriole Records in Aston Clinton (Aylesbury) till recently ... BUT ... I asked around a few locals from the area and they came up with loads of info on the record companies activities in the village.

Hope you can discover a bit on this Royton outfit from locals. 

Social source share

No family left there anymore, and even if there were, I'm the oldest left standing anyway! I do have one or two old mates who haven't moved away from the areas and will try contact them over the weekend for you. If you hear nowt from me, you'll know I got zilch off them.

One other person who may be able to help you is Glen Brierley. He's a year or so older than I, so may have some info. He sells on this forum and ebay, and goes under the ID of Glenssoulsounds I think. Maybe you could PM him sometime?

Social source share

I was born and bred in Shaw, a small town next to and bordering Royton. 

Never heard of Egmont Records and the old Wheelers from Shaw and Royton that I know never mentioned it.

Worked on the building site when houses were put on the site of an old mill on Holden Fold 1979/80.

Funny do eh? 

Social source share

Most of their releases would have been of no interest at all to soulies AND with them (most likely) never releasing 45's, no doubt they flew under the radar at the time. But some locals must have worked for them, long gone now though if they were 30+ years old back in the early to mid 60's.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

i knew i had it somewhere...Royton 1973 before WC had even opened for its 1st nighter. (off topic a bit i know). This was my 3rd Scooter. The 1st was an LI 150 which got nicked from West Wythenshawe C of F.E. My second, like the one below but with all the trimmings was an SX200-pride and joy. This one was really only practicle. 

scooter pic.jpeg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!