So What Makes A Good Dj

Bazza

YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THIS IS THE STUFF IM FED UP OF HEARING :wicked:

Hi, it wasnt sarcasm is was meant to be tounge in cheek but hey there goes, :yes:

I have read through the posts and i do agree with you but it is horses for courses and like myself if i want to hear great new or different tunes so i have to travel further afield as i live in kent and apart from 1 local night every 2 months i have to travel at least 40 miles for a local night, Are you the minority in Notts if not then surely there is room for a night of the stuff your looking for but who would be willing to put it on, dilemas all round in this lovely scene of ours but thats what makes it so great for each and everyone of us no matter what taste we may have.

in your first list i do have a couple i never tire of hearing and you put a couple of great tunes in the second one too. its not all bad really is it, i dont mind an oldies night but there is nothing like hearing tunes you never heard or rarely hear is there.

Keep your chin up and imagine what our lifes would be like without it all.

Bearsy :wub:

Social source share

• Replies 230
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

yea thats good,but the next venue you go to see whos on and see how many of them dance.

But what does dancing have to do with being a good DJ ? Are you saying only DJs that dance can be a good DJ ? If so why ? There's no logical correlation between the two things, because obviously if you had to dance to be a good DJ, everyone who dances would be a good DJ, and that just isn't the case is it.

I gave up dancing years ago when I discovered that a night's dancing left me virtually unable to walk the next day, it just wasn't worth it. But, although I say it myself, I consider myself to be a good DJ.

I don't promote any venues, so don't have my own event to DJ at, and can't offer anyone a spot in return if you know what I mean, so the 50+ bookings I get every year are based purely on my abilities as a DJ. I'm not claiming to be the best DJ around, or that I have the best, and rarest records, and acknowledge that there will be people who don't like my DJing style, or my choice of music, and occasionally I get it wrong, and screw up completely (Not very often though, fortunately). But, I know when I've done a bad spot as much as the other people in the venue do, because I feel crap about it. Fortunately I think I get it right nearly all the time, and this is evidenced by the repeat bookings that promoters give me, at a variety of venues, large and small, home and in Europe.

So the ability to dance has no bearing whatsoever on whether someone is a good DJ, does it !

Social source share

Hi, it wasnt sarcasm is was meant to be tounge in cheek but hey there goes, :wub:

I have read through the posts and i do agree with you but it is horses for courses and like myself if i want to hear great new or different tunes so i have to travel further afield as i live in kent and apart from 1 local night every 2 months i have to travel at least 40 miles for a local night, Are you the minority in Notts if not then surely there is room for a night of the stuff your looking for but who would be willing to put it on, dilemas all round in this lovely scene of ours but thats what makes it so great for each and everyone of us no matter what taste we may have.

in your first list i do have a couple i never tire of hearing and you put a couple of great tunes in the second one too. its not all bad really is it, i dont mind an oldies night but there is nothing like hearing tunes you never heard or rarely hear is there.

Keep your chin up and imagine what our lifes would be like without it all.

Bearsy :wicked:

NO WORRIES I WILL KEEP MY CHIN UP.ONE LAST THING HERE IN NOTTS OVER A FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT YOU CAN HAVE ACCESS TO AT LEAST 6 SOUL DOS.3 EACH NIGHT.BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE 4 IN ONE NIGHT.BUT WHEN YOU AINT GOT PASSION, AN OPEN MIND

AND ONLY A FEW KEV ROBERTS CDS THEN THERES NOT MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD...AND WHAT I MEAN IS MOST (THATS NOT EVERY ONE)

MOST PEOPLE HAVE ONLY EVER READ KEVS TOP 500 BOOK AND BOUGHT THE ODD GOLDMINE CDS.OH WELL I THINK IVE SAID WHAT I NEED TO TO SAY.SO ALL THE BEST.CHEERS

Social source share

But what does dancing have to do with being a good DJ ? Are you saying only DJs that dance can be a good DJ ? If so why ? There's no logical correlation between the two things, because obviously if you had to dance to be a good DJ, everyone who dances would be a good DJ, and that just isn't the case is it.

I gave up dancing years ago when I discovered that a night's dancing left me virtually unable to walk the next day, it just wasn't worth it. But, although I say it myself, I consider myself to be a good DJ.

I don't promote any venues, so don't have my own event to DJ at, and can't offer anyone a spot in return if you know what I mean, so the 50+ bookings I get every year are based purely on my abilities as a DJ. I'm not claiming to be the best DJ around, or that I have the best, and rarest records, and acknowledge that there will be people who don't like my DJing style, or my choice of music, and occasionally I get it wrong, and screw up completely (Not very often though, fortunately). But, I know when I've done a bad spot as much as the other people in the venue do, because I feel crap about it. Fortunately I think I get it right nearly all the time, and this is evidenced by the repeat bookings that promoters give me, at a variety of venues, large and small, home and in Europe.

So the ability to dance has no bearing whatsoever on whether someone is a good DJ, does it !

Dave,

you are the first DJ to actually have the balls to put into words on this site (i can remember anyway) what its really all about behind the decks and the kind of thoughts that go through your head and how you feel afterwards and that you do care, Fair play to you my hats off :wicked:

Just out of interest Dave, you said you know when your having a bad one, but what do you do when you to try to make it right and it still aint happening, Have you tried dancing :yes::rolleyes: as that might help.

Bearsy :wub:

Social source share

NO WORRIES I WILL KEEP MY CHIN UP.ONE LAST THING HERE IN NOTTS OVER A FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT YOU CAN HAVE ACCESS TO AT LEAST 6 SOUL DOS.3 EACH NIGHT.BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE 4 IN ONE NIGHT.BUT WHEN YOU AINT GOT PASSION, AN OPEN MIND

AND ONLY A FEW KEV ROBERTS CDS THEN THERES NOT MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD...AND WHAT I MEAN IS MOST (THATS NOT EVERY ONE)

MOST PEOPLE HAVE ONLY EVER READ KEVS TOP 500 BOOK AND BOUGHT THE ODD GOLDMINE CDS.OH WELL I THINK IVE SAID WHAT I NEED TO TO SAY.SO ALL THE BEST.CHEERS

When you put it like that it does sound an awful lot to happen in one area, I would love the choice locally, you do need a choice of different genres to really have a choice i know, But to be honest if they are all busy then something right is happening up there, Not being able to drive would be a nightmare for me as that really is the only way to get about nowadays,

I have an ipod with a few thousand tunes on it covering everything from rare to modern and its a joy not knowing what i might hear next but i do FF a couple of the tunes i cant bear to hear much more so if you was to have the same feel about music at a night/er you aint got that option to FF the DJ, thats when the frustration starts.

Have you tried asking a couple of the local promoters to do a spot so you can play to the masses the music they would no doubt enjoy hearing if it was played,

All the best to you too

Bearsy

Social source share

Good Taste - An ear for a tune!

Ability to put a set together - Presentation Skills & Diversity in the Playlist

Personality - No Deadbeats!

And at the end of the day, there's no substitute for experience!

Collectors who 'just play records' and call that entertainment leave me cold.... and the dancefloor empty.

IMO

Sean

couldn't have put it better myself, what really really gets me, is people that own expensive records, going out djing every week without any djing skills, thinking

that the records will be enough to give them credibility, it doesn't ! its a skill

Social source share

Well ,I dunno where you go,I dont know of one Venue in the Notts Mansfield Sheffield area's that play CD's,I admit some of the oldies only 100mph do's are not to my taste, but as you say there is usually a couple of places on a friday and saturday with in say 30 miles to go at ,although some of em have got a bit same old same old. I know you said you are going to annesley this week end,I always find that do' to be a breath of fresh air,are there any do's that you do favour I wonder,i'd like to know

Bazza

Social source share

JUST REMEMBER TO BE A GOOD DJ IN NOTTS YOU WILL HAVE TO BRING THE FOLLOWING

RUBY ANDREWS-JUST LOVING YOU

PATRICE HOLLOWAY-STONEN HOURS

FRANK POPP-OWT WILL DO

D J GENESIS- TRIBUTE TO BETTY

FRANK WILSON--THE BEST SOUL RECORD EVER :wicked:NOT

ACE SPECTRUM -DONT SEND NOBODY ELSE

MARV JOHNSON-COME ON AND STOP

ISLEY BROS-WHY WHEN LOVE IS GONE

WILLIE MITCHELL-THAT DRIVING BEAT

JOY LOVEJOY-IN ORBIT

KENNY THOMAS-CRAZY

LOU RAWLS-SEE U WHEN I GET THERE ONLY WENT BIG SINCE HE SNUFFED IT WHY?

LENNY CURTIS- NOTHING CAN STOP YOU NOW

STEINWAYS-YOUVE BEEN LEADING ME ON

CARSTAIRS-IT REALLY HURTS ME GIRL

AND ANY NON-DESCRIPT LATE 70S EARLY 80S DISCO FUNK THATS NOW BEIN PLAYED AS 70S SOUL

AND DONT FORGET YOUR 3 B4 8

PLAYS THESE AND YOU WILL BE THE DOGS B@~*&KS

YOU WILL NOTICE ME COS I WILL BE :rolleyes:

You forgot Jackie Wilson, Pat and The Blenders, Carla Thomas and one or two more. wink.gif

Just out of interest, I wonder how many of these tunes would still sound a bit fresher than they do now, if there was no such thing as "reissues", boots, vinyl-carver jobs and CD's in NS venues?? :wub::yes:

Social source share

FRANK POPP-OWT WILL DO

FRANK WILSON--THE BEST SOUL RECORD EVER :wicked:NOT

JOY LOVEJOY-IN ORBIT

KENNY THOMAS-CRAZY

AND ANY NON-DESCRIPT LATE 70S EARLY 80S DISCO FUNK THATS NOW BEIN PLAYED AS 70S SOUL

YOU WILL NOTICE ME COS I WILL BE :wub:

Not just Notts, but this is pretty much a standard playlist in many other area's as well!......... "Have Safesounds 'Top 100 Nothern soul' CDs, will travel!"

Problem is, and has been said on this/other boards is there is perhaps just to much Soul about now!, too many venue's chasing to few punters means to get people through the doors promoters/jocks have to cast their music policies wider (and safer) to get people through the doors, meaning that at many venue's the 'social soulie' is now king, ie people for whom a 'soul nite' is less about the 'Music' and more about a night out and a late drink with people their own age........ little more than a teen disco for 40-somethings in effect!.

There are some decent venue's left, with decent Jocks, playing decent sounds, it just means you have to travel a little further thats all!.

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

at many venue's the 'social soulie' is now king, ie people for whom a 'soul nite' is less about the 'Music' and more about a night out and a late drink with people their own age........ little more than a teen disco for 40-somethings in effect!.

I enjoy the social side of it ,I like to have a drink and a chat and a laugh,some of us are in our 50's,I get on the floor love a dance, but I cant do it all night,Is there something wrong with that. I like to hear the classics the rare and R&B and a touch of modern,I think you are talking a bit of bollox here

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Couldnt have put it better myself teapot. :thumbsup:

[

Problem is, and has been said on this/other boards is there is perhaps just to much Soul about now!, too many venue's chasing to few punters means to get people through the doors promoters/jocks have to cast their music policies wider (and safer) to get people through the doors, meaning that at many venue's the 'social soulie' is now king, ie people for whom a 'soul nite' is less about the 'Music' and more about a night out and a late drink with people their own age........ little more than a teen disco for 40-somethings in effect!.

Social source share

I think you talking a bit of bollox here

Bazza

Perhaps I am!!..... or maybe you are missing my point a little!!.

The moan about playlists is, and has been a recurring theme on this/other forums for a long time now, ie the usual same old, same old 'Safe Sounds' that we have all heard a thousand times, there must be a reason why so many people keep moaning....... I have just put forward my own theory, even if it is "Bollox"

I enjoy the social side, a chat and a few pint's etc, but first and foremost I go out to listen to the Music, the problem is at many venue's its the 'same' Music month in, month out.

I get the impression at some nite's that to many people the Music is very much second to what the 'nite' is about, ie Mrs Bloggs can get up and have a dance round her handbag with her mates, while Mr Bloggs gets a late Drink, and if he has had a few to many Stella's he can get up and show us his 'Northern Soul' Dance that we have been waiting all night to see!!.

It just seems to me that there are more and more of this type 'soulie' on the scene now, hence perhaps the ultra safe music policy at many venue's!..

Social source share

Perhaps I am!!..... or maybe you are missing my point a little!!.

The moan about playlists is, and has been a recurring theme on this/other forums for a long time now, ie the usual same old, same old 'Safe Sounds' that we have all heard a thousand times, there must be a reason why so many people keep moaning....... I have just put forward my own theory, even if it is "Bollox"

I enjoy the social side, a chat and a few pint's etc, but first and foremost I go out to listen to the Music, the problem is at many venue's its the 'same' Music month in, month out.

I get the impression at some nite's that to many people the Music is very much second to what the 'nite' is about, ie Mrs Bloggs can get up and have a dance round her handbag with her mates, while Mr Bloggs gets a late Drink, and if he has had a few to many Stella's he can get up and show us his 'Northern Soul' Dance that we have been waiting all night to see!!.

It just seems to me that there are more and more of this type 'soulie' on the scene now, hence perhaps the ultra safe music policy at many venue's!..

No argument from me about same old stuff,I agree,but rather than slag anywhere off, I go elsewhere,try different places,there are places that do play a good mixture of tunes,I dont like some Venues ,but love others ,you just got to find the ones you like and not bother with the ones your not keen on,the social side is a big part of it to me,I just can not stay on the floor all night ,the tone of your post suggests That I am wrong because I enjoy the social side,that is what I disagree with

Bazza

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

FRANK POPP-OWT WILL DO

FRANK WILSON--THE BEST SOUL RECORD EVER :thumbsup:NOT

JOY LOVEJOY-IN ORBIT

KENNY THOMAS-CRAZY

YOU WILL NOTICE ME COS I WILL BE :wicked:

if you don't like the music policy or the dj's why go to these venues

Social source share

Well ,I dunno where you go,I dont know of one Venue in the Notts Mansfield Sheffield area's that play CD's,I admit some of the oldies only 100mph do's are not to my taste, but as you say there is usually a couple of places on a friday and saturday with in say 30 miles to go at ,although some of em have got a bit same old same old. I know you said you are going to annesley this week end,I always find that do' to be a breath of fresh air,are there any do's that you do favour I wonder,i'd like to know

Bazza

annesleys ok.best bit is early on.been going there since the start more or less.i know pete and steve well and they have a

do passion for good soul.i will always support pete and steve,they are couple of good guys

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Just come back to see What does make a good DJ, glad we've cleared it up.............am I right in thinking it's her.

Don't follow all the Notts knocking. Not 'afraid' to play anything we think is good at the ATTIC. Some people won't like our night, that's fine.......don't expect everyone to like the same. I do dance.........hey what makes a good dancer......no forget it.

I remember at John Vincents Sams night Christmas 05. Pat Brady was on. In the middle he dropped Earl Wright - Thumb a ride. Normally I'd not be leaping out of my seat for this, but at the time it just fit right in there. That night for me Pat was a good DJ. I remember it as I was smiling to myself dancing to Thumb a Ride. Timing.

Dean (Penford - to avaoid confusion), on the 'Scene' in Notts, but not a very good dj

Social source share

Bazza

the union was one of my fav places.mick has moved it from one place to another,he moved it to TBI and to me it went a little sour,plus cos people know i collect records i got sick of people say "have you got this, that, the other,bet you aint got one of these" sleep3.gif used to do me head in.but thats another story.ANNESLEY well yeah i like,been going there from the start more or less.i'll be there in the afternoon

i know pete and steve very well.they know my feelings on what ive said about the scene and agree to most of it.will be interesting to see what gets played...mick h...kenney burrell.im not sure but i think one of them isnt on.shall be interesting anyhow.as you may know the notts scene is flooded with venues and they are all doing the same thing WHY! all this b&*(@:ks they talk about like "wigan classics" most of them nevevr went i bet.i dont really care where it was played,who played it first dont care.AWSWORTH was good in the early days when andy & deb riley ran it along with derek allen but no one went because people said they played rare and obscure stuff..if people had gone they would have heard some great soul music.same with BOAT & HORSES that andy and deb ran..same response..these places wasnt rare and obscure they played good solid soul.....people are too ignorant and too narrow minded....and these are the same people who dance to things like pat & the blenders and oxford nights...if they had come to these dos years ago they would have heard them way b4 now.anyway could go on forever.i shall be at annesley,there all day so shall be bit drunk by the end of the night.if your there i shall say hello,you will know how i am :yes:

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

the union was one of my fav places.mick has moved it from one place to another,he moved it to TBI and to me it went a little sour,plus cos people know i collect records i got sick of people say "have you got this, that, the other,bet you aint got one of these" sleep3.gif used to do me head in.but thats another story.ANNESLEY well yeah i like,been going there from the start more or less.i'll be there in the afternoon

i know pete and steve very well.they know my feelings on what ive said about the scene and agree to most of it.will be interesting to see what gets played...mick h...kenney burrell.im not sure but i think one of them isnt on.shall be interesting anyhow.as you may know the notts scene is flooded with venues and they are all doing the same thing WHY! all this b&*(@:ks they talk about like "wigan classics" most of them nevevr went i bet.i dont really care where it was played,who played it first dont care.AWSWORTH was good in the early days when andy & deb riley ran it along with derek allen but no one went because people said they played rare and obscure stuff..if people had gone they would have heard some great soul music.same with BOAT & HORSES that andy and deb ran..same response..these places wasnt rare and obscure they played good solid soul.....people are too ignorant and too narrow minded....and these are the same people who dance to things like pat & the blenders and oxford nights...if they had come to these dos years ago they would have heard them way b4 now.anyway could go on forever.i shall be at annesley,there all day so shall be bit drunk by the end of the night.if your there i shall say hello,you will know how i am :yes:

Hi Jim,I know what your saying,I was a nottm lad,used to go to brit about 34 odd years ago ,went a few month ago dont think its changed in all these years, used to go to the the usual places in nottm.

both Pete and Steve know me at annesley,just ask em who bazza is off soulsource,they should point me out

cya saturday

Bazza

Social source share

Hi Jim,I know what your saying,I was a nottm lad,used to go to brit about 34 odd years ago ,went a few month ago dont think its changed in all these years, used to go to the the usual places in nottm.

both Pete and Steve know me at annesley,just ask em who bazza is off soulsource,they should point me out

cya saturday

Bazza

i'll be there.would have loved to have go to the orig brit but not that old rolleyes.gif (no offence ment) :D ..you will know me straight away..will be funny :yes::(:(:(

Social source share

:(

and...BREATHE........Jim,this is going round in circles!!!.Are you sayin that people who've only just got Oxford Knights etc...are any less into the scene?

What about a bit of tolerance? i had a long break from the scene( i wonder why?!!!!!),when i came back, lo and behold alot of the "breaking sounds" i already knew!!!How's that?.Maybe a good memory,maybe being in the right place at the right time.Can't wait to meet up :( ,,Kev.

BTW BAZZA, i blame you for the "loaded " thread :( .

Social source share

:(

and...BREATHE........Jim,this is going round in circles!!!.Are you sayin that people who've only just got Oxford Knights etc...are any less into the scene?

What about a bit of tolerance? i had a long break from the scene( i wonder why?!!!!!),when i came back, lo and behold alot of the "breaking sounds" i already knew!!!How's that?.Maybe a good memory,maybe being in the right place at the right time.Can't wait to meet up :( ,,Kev.

BTW BAZZA, i blame you for the "loaded " thread :( .

shall look forward to a chat,can explain better face to face thumbsup.gif:yes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

So what makes a good DJ

is it just the tunes he plays

or is it the tunes he owns and plays

supposing he borrows a few tunes and plays them along with his own (he does not own them) is that ok ?

I expect a few hypocritical answers to this one

:shades: Bazza

Being Colin Cutis at his peak! :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert