Bazza

• Replies 230
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Why do you say this,in the late 60s early 70s R&B played a big part in this scene,middle 70s not so much, R&B lost ground to the more modern stuff, apart from that I love R&B yes.gif

Bazza

I just find most of it fairly boring tbh, i used to like it but went off it quite quickly, doesn't have much longevity imho.

I can hear stuff like 'Deep dark secret' cause it's got some life to it but some of it especially the really gritty stuff bores me rigid nowadays & most of the Popcorn stuff all sounds the same to me.

Simon

Social source share

I just find most of it fairly boring tbh, i used to like it but went off it quite quickly, doesn't have much longevity imho.

I can hear stuff like 'Deep dark secret' cause it's got some life to it but some of it especially the really gritty stuff bores me rigid nowadays & most of the Popcorn stuff all sounds the same to me.

Simon

The wife feels the same Simon,loves the northern stuff but hates R&B,summat up with her yes.gif lol

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hi all,

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

If its a large vinyl collection of odd, slow, obscure rubbish you want to hear, then stay away - "Just Soul music for Soul Fans"

More than happy to stay away shades.gif

Social source share

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but I am a relatively new DJ and have therefore digested all your comments with great thought:

I have been listening to Northern Soul for over 20 years

But I have only ever attended 2 nighters

I don't own a huge vinyl collection nor do I intend to source one

I play mostly CD's

I will pinch every track from friends or foes that I can

Try us out at: ** Staveley Soul & Motown Night ** Chesterfield - 10th February 2007

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

If its a large vinyl collection of odd, slow, obscure rubbish you want to hear, then stay away - "Just Soul music for Soul Fans"

I for one will be staying away, I can stop at home and listen to cd's rolleyes.gif but I'll be at the Lifeline Rare Weekender which probably won't be full of proper soul fans as there could well be a dash of the odd, slow obscure rubbish played :thumbsup:

Social source share

I for one will be staying away, I can stop at home and listen to cd's rolleyes.gif but I'll be at the Lifeline Rare Weekender which probably won't be full of proper soul fans as there could well be a dash of the odd, slow obscure rubbish played :thumbsup:

Sounds just up my street Chalky, :thumbup: lol,come to think of it Wiggy & Dave's new do' is just down the road,but not up my street wacko.gif lol

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

So what makes a good DJ

is it just the tunes he plays

or is it the tunes he owns and plays

supposing he borrows a few tunes and plays them along with his own (he does not own them) is that ok ?

I expect a few hypocritical answers to this one

shades.gif Bazza

Ownership of a PPL is a good start!

Steve J

Social source share

Guest Mart B

What makes a good dj?.Ive had the pleasure to attend "The attic club in Mansfield "over the last few months and heard some quality tunes from the resident djs.Also tunes from well known djs like Mark bicknell and tats taylor who all play quality underplayed 6ts and 7ts crossover stuff.Its easy to churn out played out oldies week in week out lets face we all have a box of those yes.gif .

Social source share

A good DJ is not judged by the tunes he owns, but by the way he judges the floor and the tunes he plays.

yes agreed,but he or she must also look round the room at the faces do they look happy are they singing along,I think a good DJ should also take this in to consideration,not every one dances on the floor

am I asking to much ? no because a good DJ does notice all these things

Bazza

Social source share

So what makes a good DJ

is it just the tunes he plays

or is it the tunes he owns and plays

supposing he borrows a few tunes and plays them along with his own (he does not own them) is that ok ?

I expect a few hypocritical answers to this one

:thumbsup: Bazza

Personality and style and a good understanding of what the people want.

Social source share

yes agreed,but he or she must also look round the room at the faces do they look happy are they singing along,I think a good DJ should also take this in to consideration,not every one dances on the floor

am I asking to much ? no because a good DJ does notice all these things

Bazza

so are you saying then bazza that if a dj has a full dance floor bouncing away but that those sat around are looking glum that he should change what he's playing?

Social source share

so are you saying then bazza that if a dj has a full dance floor bouncing away but that those sat around are looking glum that he should change what he's playing?

No Glyn,usually,as you know if the floor is full then every one is happy,but I have been to venues were more people stand or sit around than Dance,thats when it gets difficult to judge what is happening,I would never try and tell you how to do it,but I do know there is more to being a good DJ than just playing records,I could never do it,if I like a tune I expect every one else to like it,and can't understand it if they dont like it,but as the wife keeps telling me just cos I like it does'nt mean every one else should like it

cya soon Glyn

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

No Glyn,usually,as you know if the floor is full then every one is happy,but I have been to venues were more people stand or sit around than Dance,thats when it gets difficult to judge what is happening,I would never try and tell you how to do it,but I do know there is more to being a good DJ than just playing records,I could never do it,if I like a tune I expect every one else to like it,and can't understand it if they dont like it,but as the wife keeps telling me just cos I like it does'nt mean every one else should like it

cya soon Glyn

Bazza

coming friday mate?

it's free - just for tightwads like you :rolleyes:

Social source share

WHAT DOES MAKE A GOOD DJ.HARD ONE THAT.WAS AT A DO IN NOTTS AND GINGER TAYLOR WAS ON AND WAS FOOKIN CRAP AND LOOK AT WHAT TUNES HES SUPPOSE TO HAVE.THEN AGAIN THE NOTTS SOUL SCENE IS CRAP.TOOOOOOO MANY HANDBAGGERS ON THE NOTTS SOUL SCENE NOWDAYS,PEOPLE WHO WOULD NOT KNOW SHIT FROM CLAY NEVER MIND A GOOD SOUL TUNE :angry:

Social source share

WHAT DOES MAKE A GOOD DJ.HARD ONE THAT.WAS AT A DO IN NOTTS AND GINGER TAYLOR WAS ON AND WAS FOOKIN CRAP AND LOOK AT WHAT TUNES HES SUPPOSE TO HAVE.THEN AGAIN THE NOTTS SOUL SCENE IS CRAP.TOOOOOOO MANY HANDBAGGERS ON THE NOTTS SOUL SCENE NOWDAYS,PEOPLE WHO WOULD NOT KNOW SHIT FROM CLAY NEVER MIND A GOOD SOUL TUNE :angry:

Guess you didn`t go to the Brit last saturday, Brilliant night and not a handbagger in sight

Social source share

I'm looking forward to hearing some good djs at Prestatyn in March hopefully! Went to the first one & it was fantastic, fresh sounding NS & upbeat.

The second & third though went very safe & last year i decided not to go as the one the year before was mindblowingly safe & dull imo. Please please please can the djs this year try not to play safe, i know your playing to the masses but hearing the same old tunes yet again i just don't think i can bear.

Hoping to get out to a lot more dos this year & want to get along to ones that are playing upbeat NS but that are interesting so if anyone has any good tips i'm all ears.

Think maybe it's time for a dj cull also, time to get some fresh faces behind the decks, i want to hear some young djs with the bit between their teeth who haven't got any 'Wigan' baggage etc. just playing their own set & style regardless of any NS history.

Simon

Social source share

ooooohhhh dangerous.

Young DJs eh, not seeing too many young soul fans, perhaps why we're in mid-tempo heaven and the term stomper sounds a weee bit dated.

I'm hardly a DJ, I give it my best shot at the Attic and am there to be shot at too, but I've been around.

Good DJ = dance floor? Not sure depends on time of night too. A lot of dance floors at soul nights don't warm up until later. Doesn't mean the early spots we're poor. So appropriate timing might be a good sign. Also depends on venue and expectations, big floor without dancers looks odd and cold, particularly if circled by people waiting to dance. Small intimate venue (like ours) not such an issue, people looking happy, talking soul and stuff, having a drink, plus a conscious decision to not try to "chase the floor" to aim for a variety of sound. Although for NS, dancing is a bit like applause, so I'd lie if I said I wasn't bothered, and it does affect what I play, as indeed it should.

Good DJ = good spot. Maybe not so simple. Good DJ in front of wrong crowd? Expectation's an issue too, as is reputation.

Good DJ = Knowledge, timing, passion, awareness, understanding - builds a good reputation but doesn't rely on it.

Recently at the ATTIC

Mark Bicknell - 2and1/2 hours with one deck trashed - seamless, full dance floor, happy faces, great energy in the room, great choice of sounds for our place.

Cressy - Obvious experience, duck-to-water, natural. Great timing, great awareness and again great choice of sounds for this room.

Tats - Why isn't this guy bigger (I don't mean physically), enthusiasm, master timing - opened with some really awesome big northern, led us onto more crossover sound, was an education.

Steve Barney Lydon - well sober would be a start!!!

Ok shoot me, Dean.

Social source share

ooooohhhh dangerous.

Young DJs eh, not seeing too many young soul fans, perhaps why we're in mid-tempo heaven and the term stomper sounds a weee bit dated.

I'm hardly a DJ, I give it my best shot at the Attic and am there to be shot at too, but I've been around.

Good DJ = dance floor? Not sure depends on time of night too. A lot of dance floors at soul nights don't warm up until later. Doesn't mean the early spots we're poor. So appropriate timing might be a good sign. Also depends on venue and expectations, big floor without dancers looks odd and cold, particularly if circled by people waiting to dance. Small intimate venue (like ours) not such an issue, people looking happy, talking soul and stuff, having a drink, plus a conscious decision to not try to "chase the floor" to aim for a variety of sound. Although for NS, dancing is a bit like applause, so I'd lie if I said I wasn't bothered, and it does affect what I play, as indeed it should.

Good DJ = good spot. Maybe not so simple. Good DJ in front of wrong crowd? Expectation's an issue too, as is reputation.

Good DJ = Knowledge, timing, passion, awareness, understanding - builds a good reputation but doesn't rely on it.

Recently at the ATTIC

Mark Bicknell - 2and1/2 hours with one deck trashed - seamless, full dance floor, happy faces, great energy in the room, great choice of sounds for our place.

Cressy - Obvious experience, duck-to-water, natural. Great timing, great awareness and again great choice of sounds for this room.

Tats - Why isn't this guy bigger (I don't mean physically), enthusiasm, master timing - opened with some really awesome big northern, led us onto more crossover sound, was an education.

Steve Barney Lydon - well sober would be a start!!!

Ok shoot me, Dean.

Social source share

yea there is alot of handbagers in notts,but it dont make the scene crap does it,

Social source share

A good DJ is not judged by the tunes he owns, but by the way he judges the floor and the tunes he plays.

Isn't a dj booked for the tunes he (or she) owns :lol: Most promoters I know don't book a DJ not knowing what they are letting themselves of his or her paying customers in for.

Social source share

yea there is alot of handbagers in notts,but it dont make the scene crap does it,

NAME A GOOD SOUL VENUE IN NOTTS THAT DONT PLAY THE SAME OLD SHITE WEEK IN WEEK OUT,I.E THE SAME OLD OLDIES OR 70S DISCO THATS PASSED AS SOUL.SOMEWHERE WHERE THE CROWD DONT CLAP THE DJ AFTER HES JUST PLAYED UNDER MY THUMB.LOVE LOVE,LOVE AND ALL THAT,AS IF ITS THE FIRST TIME THEY HAVE HEARD IT.......AND WHY IM AT IT DONT SAY THE BRIT OR SOON TO BE MOVING TO THE BOAT COS THATS JUST ALOAD OF ARSE LICKIN DJS PLAYING SO CALLED RARE RECORDS TO THEMSELVES HOPEING THAT SOMEONE WILL COME UP TO THEM AND ASK WHAT IT IS SO THEY CAN TURN ROUND AND SAY "OOOOO YOU WONT GET ONE OF THESE IT WILL COST £2000"........ONLY TO BE TOLD ITS CRAP :lol: ....THE ONLY TIME THE RARE NIGHT WAS ANY GOOD ( THE UNION) WAS WHEN DEREK ALLEN WAS WITH US....ONE OF VERY FEW,IF NOT THE ONLY BLOKE TO DJ IN NOTTS TO PLAY SOME GOOD NORTHERN..SO I SAY ITS CRAP...YOU GET THE SAME OLD SAME OLD OR SHITE RARE RECORDS THAT NO ONE GIVES FOOK ABOUT

Social source share

NAME A GOOD SOUL VENUE IN NOTTS THAT DONT PLAY THE SAME OLD SHITE WEEK IN WEEK OUT,I.E THE SAME OLD OLDIES OR 70S DISCO THATS PASSED AS SOUL.SOMEWHERE WHERE THE CROWD DONT CLAP THE DJ AFTER HES JUST PLAYED UNDER MY THUMB.LOVE LOVE,LOVE AND ALL THAT,AS IF ITS THE FIRST TIME THEY HAVE HEARD IT.......AND WHY IM AT IT DONT SAY THE BRIT OR SOON TO BE MOVING TO THE BOAT COS THATS JUST ALOAD OF ARSE LICKIN DJS PLAYING SO CALLED RARE RECORDS TO THEMSELVES HOPEING THAT SOMEONE WILL COME UP TO THEM AND ASK WHAT IT IS SO THEY CAN TURN ROUND AND SAY "OOOOO YOU WONT GET ONE OF THESE IT WILL COST £2000"........ONLY TO BE TOLD ITS CRAP :lol: ....THE ONLY TIME THE RARE NIGHT WAS ANY GOOD ( THE UNION) WAS WHEN DEREK ALLEN WAS WITH US....ONE OF VERY FEW,IF NOT THE ONLY BLOKE TO DJ IN NOTTS TO PLAY SOME GOOD NORTHERN..SO I SAY ITS CRAP...YOU GET THE SAME OLD SAME OLD OR SHITE RARE RECORDS THAT NO ONE GIVES FOOK ABOUT

:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:no:

Social source share

Interesting post young man.

You've posted about 30 times on here, 16 of these to sell records on ebay and I guess the rest to tell other people that they play shit and there records are shit. Thanks for the contribution. Also you could post under your own name I do, your welcome to approach me direct if you want to express your views any day

Peace

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

a good dj is one that Doesn't say "if you don't like like this you don't like soul music" "if you don't dance to this you don't like soul" or variations on the same theme, shut the fcuk up and just play some music :no::lol:

Social source share

NAME A GOOD SOUL VENUE IN NOTTS THAT DONT PLAY THE SAME OLD SHITE WEEK IN WEEK OUT,I.E THE SAME OLD OLDIES OR 70S DISCO THATS PASSED AS SOUL.SOMEWHERE WHERE THE CROWD DONT CLAP THE DJ AFTER HES JUST PLAYED UNDER MY THUMB.LOVE LOVE,LOVE AND ALL THAT,AS IF ITS THE FIRST TIME THEY HAVE HEARD IT.......AND WHY IM AT IT DONT SAY THE BRIT OR SOON TO BE MOVING TO THE BOAT COS THATS JUST ALOAD OF ARSE LICKIN DJS PLAYING SO CALLED RARE RECORDS TO THEMSELVES HOPEING THAT SOMEONE WILL COME UP TO THEM AND ASK WHAT IT IS SO THEY CAN TURN ROUND AND SAY "OOOOO YOU WONT GET ONE OF THESE IT WILL COST £2000"........ONLY TO BE TOLD ITS CRAP :lol: ....THE ONLY TIME THE RARE NIGHT WAS ANY GOOD ( THE UNION) WAS WHEN DEREK ALLEN WAS WITH US....ONE OF VERY FEW,IF NOT THE ONLY BLOKE TO DJ IN NOTTS TO PLAY SOME GOOD NORTHERN..SO I SAY ITS CRAP...YOU GET THE SAME OLD SAME OLD OR SHITE RARE RECORDS THAT NO ONE GIVES FOOK ABOUT seems to me that you have the whole of notts covered,same old shite week in week out same old oldies week in week out same disco week in week out,then we get to the brit were we try to be different getting away from all what you mension and get slated for that to,you confuse me,
Social source share

Not happy with the same old same old,not happy with the stuff he dont know either

not sure what to make of it :lol:

Bazza

sounds to me like he's just got a problem with someone in notts or just notts

Social source share

NAME A GOOD SOUL VENUE IN NOTTS THAT DONT PLAY THE SAME OLD SHITE WEEK IN WEEK OUT,I.E THE SAME OLD OLDIES OR 70S DISCO THATS PASSED AS SOUL.SOMEWHERE WHERE THE CROWD DONT CLAP THE DJ AFTER HES JUST PLAYED UNDER MY THUMB.LOVE LOVE,LOVE AND ALL THAT,AS IF ITS THE FIRST TIME THEY HAVE HEARD IT.......AND WHY IM AT IT DONT SAY THE BRIT OR SOON TO BE MOVING TO THE BOAT COS THATS JUST ALOAD OF ARSE LICKIN DJS PLAYING SO CALLED RARE RECORDS TO THEMSELVES HOPEING THAT SOMEONE WILL COME UP TO THEM AND ASK WHAT IT IS SO THEY CAN TURN ROUND AND SAY "OOOOO YOU WONT GET ONE OF THESE IT WILL COST £2000"........ONLY TO BE TOLD ITS CRAP :rolleyes: ....THE ONLY TIME THE RARE NIGHT WAS ANY GOOD ( THE UNION) WAS WHEN DEREK ALLEN WAS WITH US....ONE OF VERY FEW,IF NOT THE ONLY BLOKE TO DJ IN NOTTS TO PLAY SOME GOOD NORTHERN..SO I SAY ITS CRAP...YOU GET THE SAME OLD SAME OLD OR SHITE RARE RECORDS THAT NO ONE GIVES FOOK ABOUT

You just havant got a fooking clue have you! Arsehole! angry.gif

Social source share

take it you take a big hand bag with you when you go out :rolleyes:

ive been to all these dos..went to annesley,awsworth.the union whem mick h first started it.went to all of these from day one...i can remember when awsworth was going when derek was there and andy and deb ran it.people were calling them for the music that they were playing.the notts scene needs a kick it really does.about 3 -4 years ago was at a do and i asked a dj to play george kirby - what can i do and he said he cant it will clear the floor its to risky...ITS TOO RISKY TO PLAY A SOUL RECORD AT A SOUL DO.

Social source share

ive been to all these dos..went to annesley,awsworth.the union whem mick h first started it.went to all of these from day one...i can remember when awsworth was going when derek was there and andy and deb ran it.people were calling them for the music that they were playing.the notts scene needs a kick it really does.about 3 -4 years ago was at a do and i asked a dj to play george kirby - what can i do and he said he cant it will clear the floor its to risky...ITS TOO RISKY TO PLAY A SOUL RECORD AT A SOUL DO.

Social source share

Social source share

Not happy with the same old same old,not happy with the more rare stuff either

not sure what to make of it laugh.gif

Bazza

what i mean is thats all there is same old stuff or the rare once a month...there are 1000s of solid tunes out there but no one has the balls to play.i know these people who run these notts dos very well and when you ask for a record they play it early on when no ones there,so no one gets to hear them anyway or if you ask for it later on they say too risky.too risky to play a soul record at a soul do.thats how its got :rolleyes:

Social source share

what i mean is thats all there is same old stuff or the rare once a month...there are 1000s of solid tunes out there but no one has the balls to play.i know these people who run these notts dos very well and when you ask for a record they play it early on when no ones there,so no one gets to hear them anyway or if you ask for it later on they say too risky.too risky to play a soul record at a soul do.thats how its got :rolleyes:

Yes there is truth in what your saying,many places are same old same old,but some are trying to be different for instance

Annersley

pilsley

attic

try these you may be surprised at what you find

you did come across a little confusing at first

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

good dj = dances to the records he/she owns and actually listens to the music at home. positive attitude and enthusiasm for the music is far more important than what is in the box, IMO. (that said, its nice when there is quality both in the person and in the playlist)

bad dj = arms folded behind the decks, scowl on his face, thinks everyone on the floor is a pawn to be controlled at his convienence. i dont care what you are playing, if you are a douche the response you get from me is wanker.gif:rolleyes:

Social source share

Yes there is truth in what your saying,many places are same old same old,but some are trying to be different for instance

Annersley

pilsley

attic

try these you may be surprised at what you find

you did come across a little confusing at first

Bazza

will try the attic.do annesley all the time can remember that place when there used to be 30 people in all night.that was the early days.will be there this w/end

Social source share

I've read all your post and the PM you sent me. You clearly have a problem with some people, as you named one in the PM, name them in public and the problem you have with them and lets debate it in public. But please do it under you true name, as I am happy to do. So far you have hinted but infact said very little. Is it that you want to DJ and no one will let you, or no one seems to like the same records as you. Do you think that some of the Dj's that get booked round you're WAY shouldn't be, or the promotors are doing a poor job. What are you saying, and what has made you this angry.

Peace

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

not with notts the soul scene there.are you from notts if so you must see it if you go to the dos there
yea im from notts and yea there is a load of handbaggers but ive yet to go to a place were you dont see any at all and i travell, some venue's in notts are full of handbaggers but there put on for them,a few drinks in the surounding pubs and then a dance to the 6 records they heard at youth club or school disco.
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Under the current system it is the venue which has to have a ppl, although the website doesn't make this crystal clear.

Hi Dave

As you say and it's what I believed the premises hold the PPL but this is no longer true!told them i DJ at about five events a year some soul nights some scooter alldayers in a marquee, In a letter from them it reads like this.

PPL usually licenses the occupier of the premises if the sound recording and the equipment are not rented.

If you hire a music system, juke box, and recordings from licensed operators to provide background music. Then the operator or supplier should obtain the PPL on you're behalf.

If you are holding any other event such as discos or dance sessions, you yourself may also need an extra licence direct from PPL, in some cases we can also license the organiser of the event.

ALL THE PEOPLE INVOLVED HAVE AN EQUAL RESPONSIBILITY UNDER COPYRIGHT LAW TO GET A PPL.

If you have any doubts about who should apply for it then contact us.

STEVE J.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert