So What Makes A Good Dj

Bazza

Guest vinylvixen

Hi Simon,yes thats dead right,could'nt agree more,but does he have to own the tunes he plays :lol:

Bazza

As Joan says....she does have to own her own tunes or it's cheating...I 'borrowed' a record once and was on a guilt trip for months....with the exception of my first dj set at Cleethorpes - but Dave Rimmer will back me up :shhh: Jo

Social source share

• Replies 230
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

As Joan says....she does have to own her own tunes or it's cheating...I 'borrowed' a record once and was on a guilt trip for months....with the exception of my first dj set at Cleethorpes - but Dave Rimmer will back me up :shhh: Jo

Does this count for Djs who have been given cover ups / semi / unknowns by collecters to play? Persoanally I'm ok with that as it brings discoveries to the dancefloor and new ears :lol:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Does this count for Djs who have been given cover ups / semi / unknowns by collecters to play? Persoanally I'm ok with that as it brings discoveries to the dancefloor and new ears :thumbsup:

Byrney - that's different...as the dj's concerned will have their own collection and are simply acting as 'soul' conduits :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

=================

Someone who puts the needs of the dance floor above his/her own. Can't see a problem borrowing tunes at a local night if you're a local DJ, bigger nights I wouldn't expect that to happen.

Winnie:-)

got to agree with you on this one.nothing worse than a dj playing for himself,and the only person dancing is their other half :angry:

a good dj should be able to assess the dance floor and play the records that will keep the dance floor full wether it is what they like or not.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

got to agree with you on this one.nothing worse than a dj playing for himself,and the only person dancing is their other half :angry:

You just gave me a visual! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Never mind all the above - here's what makes a good DJ:

TONE :(

Blimey, David Rodigan...the backing is an old Wackies track - Sugar Minnott had a vocal over that - something like 'Fighting in the Street' - big tune on the decks in Red Records, Brixton back in the 8Ts :thumbsup: Hmm...wonder who was at the controls then :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

a good dj should be able to assess the dance floor and play the records that will keep the dance floor full wether it is what they like or not.

I don't rate any DJ who plays records they don't like. If you don't personally 'hear' or feel or love what you're playing then I can only presume that person is up there for the ego of it.

Hammy

Social source share

I don't rate any DJ who plays records they don't like. If you don't personally 'hear' or feel or love what you're playing then I can only presume that person is up there for the ego of it.

Hammy

or the money. Oops There is no money in Notrthern Soul.

Social source share

Hammy

Well said that man!

Simon

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Blimey, David Rodigan...the backing is an old Wackies track - Sugar Minnott had a vocal over that - something like 'Fighting in the Street' - big tune on the decks in Red Records, Brixton back in the 8Ts :) Hmm...wonder who was at the controls then :unsure: Jo

...It's one of about ten thousand versions of Wayne Smith's "Under Mi Sleng Teng", a King Jammy's riddim that revolutionised reggae in the mid 80s by being the first massive 'digital' record (i.e. drum machines and casio keyboards instead of real instruments) and that therefore ruined reggae forever afterwards IMO...

TONE :angry:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

...It's one of about ten thousand versions of Wayne Smith's "Under Mi Sleng Teng", a King Jammy's riddim that revolutionised reggae in the mid 80s by being the first massive 'digital' record (i.e. drum machines and casio keyboards instead of real instruments) and that therefore ruined reggae forever afterwards IMO...

TONE :angry:

Dear Livid of Lewisham, thanks for jogging my memory - 'Sleng Teng' - blimey, funny how whole bits of my brain have been wiped clean
:)
I tend to agree with you - the 8Ts weren't a good time for reggae....
:unsure:
Jo

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Dear Livid of Lewisham, thanks for jogging my memory - 'Sleng Teng' - blimey, funny how whole bits of my brain have been wiped clean
:unsure:
I tend to agree with you - the 8Ts weren't a good time for reggae....
sad.gif
Jo

I agree. When King Jammy came out with that sound, I was pissed! :angry:

Give me the roots classics anytime, especially from the 70s! :)

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but I am a relatively new DJ and have therefore digested all your comments with great thought:

I have been listening to Northern Soul for over 20 years

But I have only ever attended 2 nighters

I don't own a huge vinyl collection nor do I intend to source one

I play mostly CD's

I will pinch every track from friends or foes that I can

I never play obscure or sought after tracks

I only play what I know people dance to

I always take hints from the crowd

I never take a playlist, off the cuff every time

I am still learning what I have; track names and artists

I understand a quality sounding system is a must

I aim to give a great night every time

What I do play is probably well known to every one - that is my intention !!! It is these fast paced tracks that got me in to DJ'ing and I love them. It helps bring other people in to the scence and breaks down the barriers that I always seem to come up against.

Try us out at: ** Staveley Soul & Motown Night ** Chesterfield - 10th February 2007

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

If its a large vinyl collection of odd, slow, obscure rubbish you want to hear, then stay away - "Just Soul music for Soul Fans"

Social source share

If its a large vinyl collection of odd, slow, obscure rubbish you want to hear, then stay away - "Just Soul music for Soul Fans"

And therein lies the rub, just because you have a passion for playing original vinyl doesn't mean you play odd, slow, obscure rubbish & you are not a Soul fan!

Unless i've read it wrong your comment comes across as misinformed & condescending.

Simon

Edited by Simon
Social source share

What I do play is probably well known to every one - that is my intention !!! It is these fast paced tracks that got me in to DJ'ing and I love them. It helps bring other people in to the scence and breaks down the barriers that I always seem to come up against.

Try us out at: ** Staveley Soul & Motown Night ** Chesterfield - 10th February 2007

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

My opinion is ,you need to play across the board stuff these days,100 mph tunes all night are no good to me (getting on a bit ),need some mid tempo and a touch of R&B to make a good night

Not getting into the vinyl v cd argument

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but I am a relatively new DJ and have therefore digested all your comments with great thought:

I play mostly CD's

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

Slow,Odd,Obscure rubbish as you call it :thumbsup: can have the most soul.....Its posts like this that show we have a wide divide on what people think about soul music..Its been done before in other topics many times... :wicked: This topic is about djs and yes they have to play the up-tempo stuff on the whole but should not be afraid to drop the odd,slow,obscure great soul track :shades: ,i love to see djs who can change the pace around and keep the crowd and the floor interested..Thats takes experience and skill....

So what makes a good dj for me...????? one with a large collection of quality soul tracks from ballad to stomper and a few obscure and odd bits to prick our ears..Different strokes for different folks..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi all,

I play mostly CD's

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

You should hook up with these guys, sounds like you have somthing in common with them: click here :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Hi all,

I play mostly CD's

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

wacko.gifwanker.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Surely you mean "Just soul music for dancing fans"? After all, surely a soul fan will probably still appreciate the records that your friends can't dance to?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You should hook up with these guys, sounds like you have somthing in common with them: click here :thumbsup:

:wicked:

What does it eman to "pinch records off friends or foes"? Is it Gavin Stearn in disguise?

Social source share

No it's not Simon, far from it

Don't get me wrong, there are some great rare tracks that I would love to own. At the same time there is a hell of a lot of tracks that really arent suitable for Dance. Apologies for calling it rubbish, it's just not to my taste.

I appreciate the scence is very diverse but peoples minds are small.

I always get tested "you got this-you got that" and if the answer is "I aint never heard of it" you get looked down on. Sad!

I only talk of my experiences, that is whay we play the tracks you could probably buy on CD down at HMV.

But that is what our Nights are all about ! Great fast paced music, not restricted to an era or air time.

If you're ever round our way then try us out.

Dave D.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Don't get me wrong, there are some great rare tracks that I would love to own. At the same time there is a hell of a lot of tracks that really arent suitable for Dance. Apologies for calling it rubbish, it's just not to my taste.

I always get tested "you got this-you got that" and if the answer is "I aint never heard of it" you get looked down on. Sad!

I only talk of my experiences, that is whay we play the tracks you could probably buy on CD down at HMV.

But that is what our Nights are all about ! Great fast paced music, not restricted to an era or air time.

Dave D.

This is a wind up surely? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dave D.

I think this is going off topic...Its about what makes a good dj and not what kind of night we all run or what music we all like..That topic is for after the watershed :thumbsup: ..

What makes a good dj is to never call another soulies music rubbish :wicked: ..Great entry to soul source Dave,welcome to the Zoo with all its different animals..

Social source share

Guest malayka

This is a wind up surely? :wicked:

Then don't bite mate. It's that revolving door conversation again under another tread title. To mis-qoute Tribe Called Quest, "Do what you like, where you like, when you like , kid".

Got a new venue for SoulShakers International, 8th March, Solihull Football Club. You can hear lots of odd, slow, obscure rubbish , Played by Me, Sam, Arthur Fenn, Ady Pountain, Gavin Page, Mark Forrest, Malayka, Mark Randle, John & Ali, John Weston plus some of Europe's best guest DJ's

Dave Thorley :thumbsup:

Edited by malayka
Social source share

I think the ability to read the dancefloor is essential

what Djs have to remember is he/she will judged as good or crap dependant on what happens on the piece of wood in front of them!!!

Atho Ido have some favorite Dj's locally I find once I say I like them they go and play the crappest set ever!!! :wicked:

I have also known one Dj play a whole set to an empty dancefloor ( he hasn't been invited back to that club since)

Ive also seen Dj's play all their loved ones favourites and theyve been virtually the only people on the dancefloor

All I ask is for djs to look at the dancefloor if no one is on it play summat else

And before anyone pipes up there are folks who don't dance to consider I agree with that too

BUT...if they come to and oldies do expect that policy

if they go to a modern do expect that that policy

I expect clubs to do what they say on the flyer

Mand :thumbsup:

tell you what mand - those who say "i just want to listen to it" well, listen to it at home - if you want something playing at a gig then it's to dance to!

Social source share

tell you what mand - those who say "i just want to listen to it" well, listen to it at home - if you want something playing at a gig then it's to dance to!

Dont agree on this one Glyn,many folk go and dont dance,but they are still enjoying there selves,cant force em to dance

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

also Bazza - in answer to your question:

the answer will paint a picture of the person giving it.

Those who say on the thread that they believe a dj should entertain, change tempo, play to the floor and keep it varied invariably do that themselves - you can spot your kind of dj by looking at the answers on here - if their answer matches your thoughts then go and see them and you will most likely be pleased.

with that in mind my own idea of what makes a good DJ is this.

He never speaks on the mic except every now and again to say something like " Bobby Kline!" in an 'i've got torretts syndrome' kind of way. He cues records far too close so that when they start you can hear the platter winding up - despite the fact that he does not press the play button on the deck until you can hear the click click of the runout groove.

He cant adjust a mic so he sounds good and more often than not has a voice like the one in the wizard of oz that says "follow the yellow brick road"

In his record box he has lots of white label "assitates" as he calls em which he got from some dodgy website in america that cut em 2 for thirty bucks. of course he doesnt show these off, only his british originals are showing to keep the aura of respectability.

When the floor is full he will play something shit to empty it and then spend the next 20 mins trying to get it full again only to clear it again with some obscure r&b track once covered in marmite that has been lovingly restored.

oh and finally the best dj knows when a track isnt working but will not take it off the turntable until every last note has been played for fear of admitting his taste was a little crap on this occasion :wicked:

Now that's what i call a Northern Soul DJ :thumbsup:

(can't find an emoticon showing a tongue in cheek)

Social source share

also Bazza - in answer to your question:

the answer will paint a picture of the person giving it.

Those who say on the thread that they believe a dj should entertain, change tempo, play to the floor and keep it varied invariably do that themselves - you can spot your kind of dj by looking at the answers on here - if their answer matches your thoughts then go and see them and you will most likely be pleased.

with that in mind my own idea of what makes a good DJ is this.

He never speaks on the mic except every now and again to say something like " Bobby Kline!" in an 'i've got torretts syndrome' kind of way. He cues records far too close so that when they start you can hear the platter winding up - despite the fact that he does not press the play button on the deck until you can hear the click click of the runout groove.

He cant adjust a mic so he sounds good and more often than not has a voice like the one in the wizard of oz that says "follow the yellow brick road"

In his record box he has lots of white label "assitates" as he calls em which he got from some dodgy website in america that cut em 2 for thirty bucks. of course he doesnt show these off, only his british originals are showing to keep the aura of respectability.

When the floor is full he will play something shit to empty it and then spend the next 20 mins trying to get it full again only to clear it again with some obscure r&b track once covered in marmite that has been lovingly restored.

oh and finally the best dj knows when a track isnt working but will not take it off the turntable until every last note has been played for fear of admitting his taste was a little crap on this occasion :wicked:

Now that's what i call a Northern Soul DJ :thumbsup:

(can't find an emoticon showing a tongue in cheek)

Oh and bugger me Glynn you have booked me for your gig....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

What makes a good dj???? Having a background in entertainment like Bingo calling....

I'll need to ask the wife to play some tunes ........... she was a bingo caller many moons ago ... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I really hate these DJ threads

If your good you get booked if you shite you can always start up your own soul night :wicked:

The most sensible post on the whole thread. :thumbsup:

If only this was true, most people get booked by there mates don't they?

I think the djing standard has really gone down in the last 5 years, too many djs & too many playing the same 50 records imho, oh & R & B masquerading as NS also.

Simon :shades:

Social source share

R & B masquerading as NS also.

Simon :thumbsup:

Why do you say this,in the late 60s early 70s R&B played a big part in this scene,middle 70s not so much, R&B lost ground to the more modern stuff, apart from that I love R&B :wicked:

Bazza

Social source share

I really hate these DJ threads

If your good you get booked if you shite you can always start up your own soul night :thumbsup:

Mmmmm .. there is a little truth in this but it also highlights that must frustrating of catch 22's:

To be heard you must be booked:

To be booked you must be good:

To be considered good you must be heard

Which point can you jump on at?

Unless you start your own night and it is good and you are heard

Answers on a white paper sleeve containing an original copy of If I Had Known - Freddie Houston - Old Town

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Hi all,

I play mostly CD's

DJ's Wiggy & Dave

How queer...........my friend's two cats are called Wiggy and Dave!

Do you know them? Gay couple, not the cats, the owners?

Social source share

Dead Right Stevie, look how the promoters/dealers sucked up to Steve Chadwick cause he had pots of (someone else') cash. He hadn't a clue about DJing but hey he had lots of cash. ranting_1.gif

BH

Known Steve for many years!........... I will pass on your 'Kind regards'..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert