George Jackson On Mercury

I was having a conversation with one of my mates at a soul night on Saturday and the subject of the 45 by GEORGE JACKSON = "I Don't The Time To Love You" on Mercury and he said he had heard that he was white anybody confirm this as I always thought he was black. Anybody out there able to confirm this - JUST CURIOUS to know if this is right.

fdsoul6345789

Edited by fdsoul6345789
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was having a conversation with one of my mate at a soul night on Saturday and the subject of the 45 by GEORGE JACKSON = "I Don't The Time To Love You" on Mercury and he said he had heard that he was white anybody confirm this as I always thought he was black. Anybody out there able to confirm this - JUST CURIOUS to know if this is right.

fdsoul6345789

Does it matter what colour he is ? check out his Hi recordings, if he were an Eskimo I wouldn't care..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The George Jackson on Double R and Mercury is not the same person as the more acclaimed GJ on Fame, Hi, Verve, MGM, Chess etc. who's more recent material has been released by Grapevine.

I've no idea whether the other, Mercury, George Jackson is black or white.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Prann, Public, Doro etc. are the Memphis GJ: ie the same guy as on Fame and virtually a living legend. The artist also known as George Jackson who recorded on Mercury is the same guy as on Double R and Cameo: as far as I know these are the only 45s recorded by the 'other' GJ.

Social source share

Just had the following email from a mate

"On the Northern Soul Experience vol 1. Tim Brown says "George Jackson was a blue-eyed east coast soulster not to be confused with the southern soul supremo of the same name. Dont Use Me is one of three very worthwhile Northern Soul records he made in the middle sixties"(and there is/was a blues artist of that name as well)"

soulmac.

Edited by soulmac
Social source share

Just had the following email from a mate

"On the Northern Soul Experience vol 1. Tim Brown says "George Jackson was a blue-eyed east coast soulster not to be confused with the southern soul supremo of the same name. Dont Use Me is one of three very worthwhile Northern Soul records he made in the middle sixties"(and there is/was a blues artist of that name as well)"

soulmac.

Think the blues guy went under the name of "BIG GEORGE JACKSON" he has several CDs to his credit as far as I know John

fdsoul6345789@aol.com

Social source share

I was having a conversation with one of my mate at a soul night on Saturday and the subject of the 45 by GEORGE JACKSON = "I Don't The Time To Love You" on Mercury and he said he had heard that he was white anybody confirm this as I always thought he was black. Anybody out there able to confirm this - JUST CURIOUS to know if this is right.

fdsoul6345789

Hi Fraser.

The Mercury dude is not THE George Jackson and is certainly a Blue Eyed Soul Boy!

I've got pretty much everything by THE George Jackson and also the "I Didn't Have Time" and "Kiss Me" / "Tossin & Turnin" Mercury 45's by the other one, in themselves pretty worthwhile efforts... but nothing compared to THE George Jackson's material.

Your 45 still not arrived mate... so I'll give the man a chase. Oh, and still lovin' your CD by the way.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Hi Fraser.

The Mercury dude is not THE George Jackson and is certainly a Blue Eyed Soul Boy!

I've got pretty much everything by THE George Jackson and also the "I Didn't Have Time" and "Kiss Me" / "Tossin & Turnin" Mercury 45's by the other one, in themselves pretty worthwhile efforts... but nothing compared to THE George Jackson's material.

Your 45 still not arrived mate... so I'll give the man a chase. Oh, and still lovin' your CD by the way.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

HI sean glad you liked my cd thank you for the positive feedback, looking forward to getting the 45

fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Relax Barry... 'Soul Lovers' do know about him.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Yeah I met him about 8 years ago. Real nice guy, written some awesome lyrics and had considerable success with things like "one bad apple" :shades: The Mercury guy I've never met, but I did check with the Hi one and he confirmed it was a different guy as others have said.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert