Gene Chandler - Mr Big Shot

timthemod

Both Because of You and Deep Dark Secret fell back in price now haven't they, certainly seen Because of you for a more (yet still over priced) price and Deep Dark Secret for half what you quote.

I've seen some buy the Gene Chandler and they are neither clueless or lack the knowledge as you imply thumbsup.gif You should stop living in the fairy tale world of soul source.

Pete wasn't aware of the rise in price, so he sold his @ what he thought it was worth. The record has n't been £20 in the nonsense world of northern soul for some time. Christ even JM says sold last 15 (going back a year) at £50 and over, last 4 at £75....various others tell you what they've sold it for so the facts are it wasn't a £20 record even a year ago, what more do you need to convince you it is no longer a 20/25 record? or do you want to live happily ever after in a fairy tale world for ever and ever :thumbsup:

So if JM told you Out On The Floor was worth £75 would you take that as gospel?

If I'd got 20 copies of a record I'd actually do my customers a good deal and lower the price, not up it.

What I'm saying is - why are you right and us wrong?

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

• Replies 89
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So if JM told you Out On The Floor was worth £75 would you take that as gospel?

If I'd got 20 copies of a record I'd actually do my customers a good deal and lower the price, not up it.

What I see week in week out is what I take as gospel and like said earlier Pete seen plenty of other instances of the price of the record in question....you're the only one so far that has said they would sell it for £25. And I dare bet that those who shout up saying anything more is nonsence wouldn't sell at £25 now.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

But Phil, we're not talking in the 8ts we're talking very recent times, maybe even a year ago things like 'Mr Big shot' were £20, it's a fact!

I don't even necessarily think it's supply & demand more people buying records without proper knowledge of what the record's worth or maybe not caring cause they've got money to burn.

Look at recent times 'Deep dark secret' a £10 record now going for £300 & literally tons of copies about, same goes for 'Because of you' & numerous other titles.

To me it's a false economy & some peeps are gonna be gutted when their records eventually go back down to the 'proper' prices & are left with hefty credit card bills that need paying.

All IMHO of course

Simon

Yes but Simon where were these £20 copies. I bought one on ebay a couple of years ago and the price just went mental. Think I ended up paying £60 to win it. I know what you are saying with the Deep Dark Secret, but that's a recent play, and ain't in the same league as the Gene Chandler. You see less copies of Gene Chandler than any of the other things you mention. In my opinion Deep Dark Secret the price will drop, I think Gene Chandler will just keep creeping up.

Phil.

Social source share

You should stop living in the fairy tale world of soul source.

Pete wasn't aware of the rise in price, so he sold his @ what he thought it was worth. The record has n't been £20 in the nonsense world of northern soul for some time. Christ even JM says sold last 15 (going back a year) at £50 and over, last 4 at £75....various others tell you what they've sold it for so the facts are it wasn't a £20 record even a year ago, what more do you need to convince you it is no longer a 20/25 record? or do you want to live happily ever after in a fairy tale world for ever and ever biggrin.gif

I'm sorry Chalky but i'm not backing down on this one :thumbsup: it's the buyers imho who are living in the fairytale world & follow along like sheep cause someone one day tells them a record is worth so & so & they carry along in their merry way not questioning why it is so expensive.

There may be some buyers who are knowledgeable & know exactly what they're paying & that's their choice but there's plenty more who haven't got a clue.

To be honest you are one of those knowledgeable peeps & i'm quite surprised you belive this record to be worth more than £20 especially when people like Pete & Kenny who have been looking through record boxes for donkeys years & know prretty much what's out there quantity wise.

Let's not forget also one has just gone on Ebay for £11 & i'm fairly confident i can find another copy of this record for round about £20 sometime in the future. I've obtained three copies of this track in the past quite easily & i'm not even a record dealer.

Simon :D

Social source share

What I'm saying is - why are you right and us wrong?

Not saying anyone is right or wrong Pete, just what I've seen with this particular record in recent months and that the prices I've seen quite a few copies at, plus what others have said in this topic suggest that even though you would be doing your customers a good service you would be selling it far too cheaply.

Social source share

Not saying anyone is right or wrong Pete, just what I've seen with this particular record in recent months and that the prices I've seen quite a few copies at, plus what others have said in this topic suggest that even though you would be doing your customers a good service you would be selling it far too cheaply.

OK mate. We'll agree to disagree.

Social source share

Yes but Simon where were these £20 copies. I bought one on ebay a couple of years ago and the price just went mental. Think I ended up paying £60 to win it. I know what you are saying with the Deep Dark Secret, but that's a recent play, and ain't in the same league as the Gene Chandler. You see less copies of Gene Chandler than any of the other things you mention. In my opinion Deep Dark Secret the price will drop, I think Gene Chandler will just keep creeping up.

Phil.

This does tend to happen on ebay though Phil, i sold 'Nothing but a heartache' for £42 when it was in vogue on there, i doubt i'd get more than a tenner for it on there now.

Also you may have been unlucky & ended up bidding against a few other peeps who happened to want it at that exact time whereas one has just gone for £11, s'pose that's the luck of the draw.

One thing's for sure though it's deffo worth £60 in sheer quality!

Simon

Social source share

I'm sorry Chalky but i'm not backing down on this one biggrin.gif it's the buyers imho who are living in the fairytale world & follow along like sheep cause someone one day tells them a record is worth so & so & they carry along in their merry way not questioning why it is so expensive.

There may be some buyers who are knowledgeable & know exactly what they're paying & that's their choice but there's plenty more who haven't got a clue.

To be honest you are one of those knowledgeable peeps & i'm quite surprised you belive this record to be worth more than £20 especially when people like Pete & Kenny who have been looking through record boxes for donkeys years & know prretty much what's out there quantity wise.

Let's not forget also one has just gone on Ebay for £11 & i'm fairly confident i can find another copy of this record for round about £20 sometime in the future. I've obtained three copies of this track in the past quite easily & i'm not even a record dealer.

Simon :thumbsup:

Neither will I Simon, I also go through record boxes and have done so for many years as well. And it's this very reason why I've seen the record at 50, 60 and 80 quid. I also attend venue on a regular basis and see what's happening on the shop floor so to speak.

I've already offered to buy copies of you Pete and Kenny so when you do find one, as you already have a copy, I'll give you £25, thats a fiver profit on what you reckon you will get one for.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Can't believe that you're all arguing about thirty quid when there's a thread about a record that's one hundred and ten thousand dollars with four days to go - and virtually no comments!

Godz

I love record collecting stories like that one and the thing is - if that person hadn't sold it at his pavement sale or whatever it was, he could well have dumped it and the only known copy would have been destroyed forever. That's why it's worth over $100,00. What I found surprising is how many people could afford to bid on it!

Social source share

I've already offered to buy copies of you Pete and Kenny so when you do find one, as you already have a copy, I'll give you £25, thats a fiver profit on what you reckon you will get one for.

£25 when i could get £50 off John, you'll have to up your bid a bit!

Simon laugh.gif

Social source share

Could be because it ain't soul Godz. whistling.gif

You're probably right Quinvy, but nonetheless I find that depressing. When I first got into soul music it was a combination of hearing the music and owning the records that did it for me. The obvious next step was an interest in collecting records in general - after all, I wouldn't want to repeat the mistake I made as a fourteen year old when I went "hmm Beatles singles on Polydor - interesting" but still left them at the flea market. Could have had a few decent trades from that lot.

My wants posts for old advertising 45s shows that there are others on this forum who take an interest in the world of rare records but I guess you're right in the fact that your post suggests that most would go "Sex Pistols on A&M - not for me sonny - I'm only interested in soul!" :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

You're probably right Quinvy, but nonetheless I find that depressing. When I first got into soul music it was a combination of hearing the music and owning the records that did it for me. The obvious next step was an interest in collecting records in general - after all, I wouldn't want to repeat the mistake I made as a fourteen year old when I went "hmm Beatles singles on Polydor - interesting" but still left them at the flea market. Could have had a few decent trades from that lot.

My wants posts for old advertising 45s shows that there are others on this forum who take an interest in the world of rare records but I guess you're right in the fact that your post suggests that most would go "Sex Pistols on A&M - not for me sonny - I'm only interested in soul!" :yes:

Godz

How much do you want for the Pistols? :unsure:

Social source share

most would go "Sex Pistols on A&M - not for me sonny - I'm only interested in soul!" :yes:

Godz

"God Save The Queen" on A&M.

Had half a dozen back in '77.

Now a £5k touch!

Nah, I'm talkin' Bo**ocks again. It was the other one on EMI wasn't it.

Worst Soul record ever (IMO).

:unsure:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

a dig on site shows similar thread last year

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22341

fairytale world yeah right :unsure::D:yes:

How Curious,

Both threads started by timthemod!

Bit of a thing for this record then Tim?

Got to say that I reckon Miffs 'Star' copy is a proper one.

Paul Rowan was a superb DJ. Used to do 'Racquels' in Wakefield back in the early / mid 70's and I bought quite a few bits off him back then... all originals.

Last time I bumped into him was in a Nightclub in Lincoln, back in '78, right in the middle of the 'Saturday Night Fever' Disco Boom!.

Paul was the DJ, complete with Walrus Moustache and a Gold Lurex Jacket with his name emblazoned on the back.

Boogie Night Tastic!

:yes:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Got to say that I reckon Miffs 'Star' copy is a proper one.

Paul Rowan was a superb DJ. Used to do 'Racquels' in Wakefield back in the early / mid 70's and I bought quite a few bits off him back then... all originals.

:lol:

Sean

Well thats good news to me. Must say hes one hell of a neat writer he even engrived play side in the run out grove, if he did that with all his records it must of took him ages.If you enlarge the scan on mine you can see the engraving. allways wondered about this, a lot of effort for a boot. but again I have been told before that its a boot.and one or two have offered to take it off my hands as a favour.Personly I think it would be nice to give it back to Paul Rowen. complete the circle so to speek

Edited by miff
Social source share

Just to let you all know it was me that bought the featured copy. I was probably the most amazed of all at what it made. Just shows you can have a bit of luck sometimes. By the way just joined so a big HI to everyone!!

Hi Luther and Welcome to Soul Source.

Just remind us... what did you pay for it again?

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

well i paid £50 for mine in mint- cond of pat brady , and i,m well chuffed ,,,col.

At the end of the day that's all that matters, the customer being happy.

As i said before great tune & deffo worth 50 quid in the quality stakes!

Simon

Social source share

Well thats good news to me. Must say hes one hell of a neat writer he even engrived play side in the run out grove, if he did that with all his records it must of took him ages.If you enlarge the scan on mine you can see the engraving. allways wondered about this, a lot of effort for a boot. but again I have been told before that its a boot.and one or two have offered to take it off my hands as a favour.Personly I think it would be nice to give it back to Paul Rowen. complete the circle so to speek

Tell mr Rowen,i`ll give him £30 yes.gif

Social source share

At the end of the day that's all that matters, the customer being happy.

As i said before great tune & deffo worth 50 quid in the quality stakes!

Simon

Actually had this on my cd player in the car on my way to work this morning! Absolutely fantastic storming tune, the flip too ....'I Hate To Be The One To Say' is just waiting to be spun at a big venue...then watch the price creep up even more!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert