Christmas Songs By Soul Artists

Guest soultempo

Guest soultempo

247494.gif247494.gif247494.gif

I'm sure quite a few of you are doing Christmas Radio Specials ... & gigs ... and are thinking of dropping/including that seasonal soulful tune ... !

Or perhaps you're just relaxing at home listening to a Soulful Seasonal comp. ...

I'm aware of Christmas songs by the Whispers & James Brown ... but can't recall if they are any good or not ... ???

So ... which are the very best ones, if any ... that should be dug out & deserve an airing ... :lol:

Or do Seasonal songs by Soul Artists just give you the *Christmas turkey* ... 219867.gif219867.gif219867.gif

Apologise, in advance, if this question is asked every year ... (baa' humbug) ... ???

354965.gif

best wishes, (ho ho ho) Shaun ...

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

I'm sure quite a few of you are doing Christmas Radio Specials ... & gigs ... and are thinking of dropping/including that seasonal soulful tune ... !

Or perhaps you're just relaxing at home listening to a Soulful Seasonal comp. ...

I'm aware of Christmas songs by the Whispers & James Brown ... but can't recall if they are any good or not ... ???

So ... which are the very best ones, if any ... that should be dug out & deserve an airing ... :lol:

Or do Seasonal songs by Soul Artists just give you the *Christmas turkey* ... 219867.gif219867.gif219867.gif

Apologise, in advance, if this question is asked every year ... (baa' humbug) ... ???

354965.gif

Shaun, PM me with your address...I have just the thing :yes: . Jo

354965.gif

Although it's not 'soul'...The Drifters 'I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas' is pure genius - rockin' and seasonal...the close harmony work is just wonderful :lol: Jo

Social source share

There are very few good christmas soul soungs.

My favourites include The Miracles Christmas Everyday

The Jackson Five Up on The Rooftop

Stevie Wondwer What Christmas means to me

Clarence Carter Back Door Santa

Albert King Santa Claus wants some loving

Big Dee Irwin and Little Eva I wish you a merry merry christmas

. I do a Christmas special every year but it's a struggle to find new stuff.

the Motown comps have some good stuff, the James Brown comp is pretty good but the rest have a couple of usable tracks and a lot of filler.

Social source share

There are very few good christmas soul soungs.

My favourites include The Miracles Christmas Everyday

The Jackson Five Up on The Rooftop

Stevie Wondwer What Christmas means to me

Clarence Carter Back Door Santa

Albert King Santa Claus wants some loving

Big Dee Irwin and Little Eva I wish you a merry merry christmas

the Motown comps have some good stuff, the James Brown comp is pretty good but the rest have a couple of usable tracks and a lot of filler.

Stevie Wonder What Christmas means to me

my fave christmas tune

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Some good Xmas tunes for me are:

Randy Brown - At Christmas Time

Lonnie Hill - Cold winter in the Ghetto

James Brown - Hey America (Funk)

Funky Christmas - Cotililion (Inc Joh Edwards, Luther, Margie Joseph, Impressions, etc..)

This Christmas - Donny Hathaway

Carla Thomas - All I Want For Christmas Is You/Gee Whiz It's Christmas

Luther Vandross - Home for Christmas

A Christmas Gift from Phil Spectre (Inc Darlene Love/Bob B Soxx, Ronettes & Crystals)

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

BEGGINING OF THE END "GEE WHIZZ ITS CHRISTMAS" ALSTON

WORKING OF CARLA THOMAS TUNE AND ITS SUPERB.

I RECKON YOU COULD PLAY IT OUT ANYTIME OF THE YEAR :lol:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

What about 'Christmas just ain't Christmas (without the one you love) by The O' Jays (Neptune)? Hardly played but a nice melody.

What about my Xmas demo song still waiting for a taker:

https://www.melkman.com/carlsmusic/detroit/...ychristmas1.mp3

Yes, it is cheasy. I wanted a sort of Detroit/Spector sound.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

354965.gif

Shaun! might have something for ya mate, was gonna send ya another CD before Crimbo.... May as well make it a festival one! :yes:

stuff like Artie Fullilove - Santa Claus Please Listen To Me. Marvin gaye - I Want To Come Home For Christmas.... and a blindin version of Auld Lans Syne by the late great Lou Rawls.......

Tina an me sent the CD out last Crimbo instead ov cards

I'll burn one off an stick int post this week Shaun

Steve 'n Tina

Social source share

Guest soultempo

Shaun! might have something for ya mate, was gonna send ya another CD before Crimbo.... May as well make it a festival one! :lol:

stuff like Artie Fullilove - Santa Claus Please Listen To Me. Marvin gaye - I Want To Come Home For Christmas.... and a blindin version of Auld Lans Syne by the late great Lou Rawls.......

Steve 'n Tina

Thanks *everyone* ... & cheers Steve ... you're a gentleman and a scholar ... :yes:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

One to avoid at all costs:

Santa Claus Please Listen To Me - Artie Fullove

Gene, as Mr Rockin' Rhythm, do you have the Drifters 'White Xmas' in your collection. I only have it on vinyl and don't know how to do the sound bite thing
:lol:
Jo

Social source share

I might be hallucinating but i remember a certain person at wigan playing a tune around christmas time...lonely little christmas tree or summat like that ?? anyone remember..?.pretty cheesy if i remember right.

At home i dig out every christmas morning a Gladys knight lp ...all the classic carols ...perfect seeing it usually is 35+ centigrade on christmas day in Sydney ...no chance of snow :-( no chance of a white christmas :-( :thumbsup:

pete m

Social source share

I might be hallucinating but i remember a certain person at wigan playing a tune around christmas time...lonely little christmas tree or summat like that ?? anyone remember..?.pretty cheesy if i remember right.

pete m

It was Lise Miller.....Loneliest Christmas Tree - Canterbury

Social source share

Shaun! might have something for ya mate, was gonna send ya another CD before Crimbo.... May as well make it a festival one! :thumbsup:

Steve 'n Tina

Auld lans syne,honey and the bee`s

Social source share

Gene, as Mr Rockin' Rhythm, do you have the Drifters 'White Xmas' in your collection. I only have it on vinyl and don't know how to do the sound bite thing
:thumbsup:
Jo

Hi Jo,

I don't have it on CD I'm afraid - my vinyl copy of the 45 went to Melvin a few years ago, and still regret it!

I'll do a search round, and let you know if I have any luck.

Gene

Social source share

Have a listen to Mamie Galore and Dee Irwin - All I want for Christmas - Imperial

I have just posted this in the 'Midtempo Monday'

Ian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz It's Christmas

Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Horace Williams & Choker Campbell - I'm Going Christmas Shopping

Solomon Burke - Presents For Christmas

The Echelons - A Christmas Long Ago

The Emotions - Black Christmas

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Every year I pull out the Emotions "What do the lonley do at Christmas" - Stax, which is great and miserable.

I also rate Charles Brown's "Merry Christmas baby".

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Check my site later on today (located in my signature)...I will have a Christmas mix playing once I complete them!

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

Guest stash313

Can't believe no one has mentioned The Temptations, they've recorded I think three christmas albums with various line up's, including the classic lineup in around 68 if I'm not mistaken. There was a best of Tempts at Christmas released the other year with the best bits from each album released together.

Essential listening at this time of year.

Also echo the sentiments of Lonnie Hill Cold, Cold Winter In The Ghetto, one of the greatest xmas songs ever recorded

Social source share

Been toying whether to buy Patti Labelle & the Bluebelles Christmas LP for a few days, seen it cheap on Ebay, has anyone heard it ? is it any good ?

Social source share

Not exactly northern, but:

Go Where I Send Thee - Kenny Burell. From his album Have A SOulful Little Christmas, great tune!

CHeers

Dante

Hi

The Supremes - "Little Bright Star"

Same backing track as Tammi Terrell - "I Can't Go On Without You"

&

Phil Spector - Christmas Album

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Can't believe no one has mentioned The Temptations, they've recorded I think three christmas albums with various line up's, including the classic lineup in around 68 if I'm not mistaken. There was a best of Tempts at Christmas released the other year with the best bits from each album released together.

Essential listening at this time of year.

Also echo the sentiments of Lonnie Hill Cold, Cold Winter In The Ghetto, one of the greatest xmas songs ever recorded

They recorded two: CHRISTMAS CARD (1970) and GIVE LOVE AT CHRISTMAS (1980). :unsure:

post-6621-1165330649_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1165330657_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

My Fav's

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Santa Clause Is Coming To Town

Luther Vandross - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Stevie Wonders track on motown christmas cd is good for Northern me thinks can't remember title

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

My Fav's

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Santa Clause Is Coming To Town

Luther Vandross - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Stevie Wonders track on motown christmas cd is good for Northern me thinks can't remember title

Are you talking about WHAT CHRISTMAS MEANS TO ME?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Been toying whether to buy Patti Labelle & the Bluebelles Christmas LP for a few days, seen it cheap on Ebay, has anyone heard it ? is it any good ?

It's fairly intense and not very jolly - I love it personally, because I loved Patti's voice more when she was a quavery girly rather than a screechy oldie, but I'd never urge anyone to buy it in a million years...

TONE :shhh:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Jo,

I don't have it on CD I'm afraid - my vinyl copy of the 45 went to Melvin a few years ago, and still regret it!

I'll do a search round, and let you know if I have any luck.

Gene

Jo, I have it on several CDs as well as three copies on 45 and a 78 (greedy? moi????) but I can't post it up here because, well, it's technically beyond my ken, and especially so since this new player was introduced, as my PC doesn't want to know about it beyond playing the postings of others.

If you're desperate for it on CD I'm pretty sure that it's on that 2CD 'Ultimate Drifters' anthology that WEA put out 4-5 years ago and that regularly turns up in Woolies and HMV sales for between five and ten quid...

TONE :shhh:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Anyone remember or know a sound called 'Santa goofed and fell off the roof' , I'm not joking ! Cant remember who its by, did Pat Brady play it ? Too many brain cells gone I'm afraid!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert