• i dont do nighters
    • what is a allnighter?

• Replies 102
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No mate, you ent stopping me from drinking and I'll drink where I like....... :thumbsup: I would'nt even walk across the dance floor with a drink in my hand tho. Are you going to stop people who take drugs to keep them going all nighters as well?

Yes if they are stupid enough to be caught,otherwise what people do in there own homes,or on there travel`s aint got a lot to do with me,and when was the last time you flew head over a wrap,and if it was my nighter you would be out on your ears. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes if they are stupid enough to be caught,otherwise what people do in there own homes,or on there travel`s aint got a lot to do with me,and when was the last time you flew head over a wrap,and if it was my nighter you would be out on your ears. :thumbsup:

I've seen plenty of people fall A over T on white powder tho. :thumbsup:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

whether nighters sell drink isn't really relevent , peoples attitudes towards it is the problem .....

personally i don't care , 2 pints before i get there and thats it for me

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

When I started going to Soul do's in 1975, as a young teenager I must admit to having a few pints of Guiness during an all-dayer at Kettering. All-nighters @ St.Ives would probably start with a few pints of 'living' prior to the nighter. This was due to age and no personal forms of transport . . . apart from a bus!! Having arrived at the venue an hour or so before the nighter, what else could you do as a teenager? During the nighter there was no beer, and due to other stuff being available, it was not needed. This was the case for me, until the advent of the Coalville All-nighters in 1978, where the bar was open til 2.00am (I think) and we took this to the limit . . . by the pool table!! After meeting the future wife (we've been married over 25 years now!) beer was more social than gear, I would sit for more than more than 2 minutes without wanting to dance, if you know what I mean, and I think the female side of things will know this.

After my re-emegence on the scene some years ago, gear had the presidence over beer, and I'm sure I came close to losing my beloved wife. Beer is good, beer is life.

Martin :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Social source share

Gone quiet,i dont believe theres only 58 true N/Soul fans,leave it a couple more days,before i analize the results,no promoters got owt to say,oops thats normal :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've seen plenty of people fall A over T on white powder tho. :yes:

===========

Yeah talc is just so dangerous...... :lol:

Don't drink at nighters but that's my choice. Maybe with advancing years many have found the social side has become more important than dancing?

Think the thing is Ken, if alcohol wasn't served at nighters, I think attendances would drop dramatically. Not sure why you're not including soul nights in this, most bars shut at 2 whether its a nighter or a soul night?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Gone quiet,i dont believe theres only 58 true N/Soul fans,leave it a couple more days,before i analize the results,no promoters got owt to say,oops thats normal :lol:

============

In fairness, an alcohol ban isn't imminent, so promoters don't really need to get involved unless its from a personal viewpoint as opposed to a promotional one? Just a thought :yes:

Social source share

===========

Yeah talc is just so dangerous...... :yes:

Don't drink at nighters but that's my choice. Maybe with advancing years many have found the social side has become more important than dancing?

Think the thing is Ken, if alcohol wasn't served at nighters, I think attendances would drop dramatically. Not sure why you're not including soul nights in this, most bars shut at 2 whether its a nighter or a soul night?

That was the double meaning of my "joke" Win but after reading Ken's reply I kinda gave up the will to live, continue to post..... :lol:

Social source share

===========

Yeah talc is just so dangerous...... :yes:

I dont include soul nights,because its not about banning alcohol(prohabition),and a lot of nighters serve up allnight now,just think a d-free night might be more alternative that the same old,if you study the results,include the not bothered`s,puts the drinkers in the minority,and who thought they would ever ban smoking :lol: as i say,its a dancin` scene first,aint it :lol: ........................talc dangerous,thats what makes it exiting :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

I dont include soul nights,because its not about banning alcohol(prohabition),and a lot of nighters serve up allnight now,just think a d-free night might be more alternative that the same old,if you study the results,include the not bothered`s,puts the drinkers in the minority,and who thought they would ever ban smoking :yes: as i say,its a dancin` scene first,aint it :lol: ........................talc dangerous,thats what makes it exiting :lol:

===============

First and foremost its something to enjoy, from your perspective and mine its a dance scene, but its each to their own. :lol:

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

===============

First and foremost its something to enjoy, from your perspective and mine its a dance scene, but its each to their own. :thumbsup:

Exactly Winnie,each to their own.I`m a bit surprised that my old mate Ken has even started this poll.As long as we behave ourselves who cares what we imbibe as long as we dont blow it back at eachother in the air (reformed smoker talk) or have people been misbehaving recently in Old Blightey?

Well if you want to go back to the old days of true northern soulies Ken,youll have to put up with similar idiots falling all over the place on barbs. :lol:

Social source share

Exactly Winnie,each to their own.I`m a bit surprised that my old mate Ken has even started this poll.As long as we behave ourselves who cares what we imbibe as long as we dont blow it back at eachother in the air (reformed smoker talk) or have people been misbehaving recently in Old Blightey?

Well if you want to go back to the old days of true northern soulies Ken,youll have to put up with similar idiots falling all over the place on barbs. :thumbsup:

Barb heads,never had any time for,spillin` barbs on the floor,just kikc em` out of the way,and carry on.

Social source share

Well if you want to go back to the old days of true northern soulies Ken,youll have to put up with similar idiots falling all over the place on barbs. :thumbsup:

=============

I can see why Ken has done it, I think that the drinking culture has completely changed the scene, and being able to 'have a late drink', has bought all sorts onto the scene. Personally I prefer quality to quantity :lol: There are some coming onto the scene who are genuinely interested, they may like a drink, no probs with that, cos ultimately the music will win through, but there are also some who just want to get pissed. Been over this many times, so don't really want to get involved in it again, but surely I'm not the only one who can see that some newcomers see the scene in a nightclub light?

Social source share

=============

I can see why Ken has done it, I think that the drinking culture has completely changed the scene, and being able to 'have a late drink', has bought all sorts onto the scene. Personally I prefer quality to quantity :thumbsup: There are some coming onto the scene who are genuinely interested, they may like a drink, no probs with that, cos ultimately the music will win through, but there are also some who just want to get pissed. Been over this many times, so don't really want to get involved in it again, but surely I'm not the only one who can see that some newcomers see the scene in a nightclub light?

im a bit of a newie and it didnt take me long to understand that there is some kind of code of conduct about the scene when at a night or nighter,

For me the music is the main thing i enjoy closely followed by in no particular order, people, atmosphere,venue, but put the 4 together and can life get any better.

i do like a drink but now its not the be all and end all (honest) but i would like the choice if the bar stayed open,

when i go to a night/nighter now i actually listen to every tune played and remember just about all of them which i never used to do but that just might be because im really getting into it a lot more than i thought i ever would (addicted) :lol:

One thing i have noticed though and that there seem to be plenty of people doing gear as well as people on the beer but does that count in a different way or just accepted.

What would happen if a pisshead took his beer on the dance floor and acted like a twat, would anyone say anything to him or just hope he got bored and went home ?

Bearsy

Social source share

One thing i have noticed though and that there seem to be plenty of people doing gear as well as people on the beer but does that count in a different way or just accepted.

Bearsy

Like i said,what people do/take before the nighter,is there buisness, :thumbsup: just come in,sober up,come down/up,chill out,and last off dance :lol:

Social source share

What would happen if a pisshead took his beer on the dance floor and acted like a twat, would anyone say anything to him or just hope he got bored and went home ?

Bearsy

Social source share

Don't think it matters really, gear/beer or straight, if someones acting the twat, that's what they're doing. Not many like it in fairness, so not a major issue. As for asking someone to take their beer off the dance floor, I've done it a few times, but tend not to bother these days. No really defined areas at many nights, so guess they've got to drink it somewhere :lol:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I'm allergic to alcohol so I'm giving up in January (I have known for years but just ignored it, apparently it sometimes makes my face slightly red :thumbsup: )... Got to wean myself off and have a mental NYE first of course.

So Ken, get this dry nighter up and running - preferably every weekend so I have somewhere to go where I don't have to practice abstinence.

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

If you can find a major venue anywere that will let you run a niter without them running the bar i,d like to know were it is.The hardest part of running a niter is to convince the venue owners its worth them being open.If there was no bar most venues would have to charge that much hire fee it would be impossible to break even.

Social source share

If you can find a major venue anywere that will let you run a niter without them running the bar i,d like to know were it is.The hardest part of running a niter is to convince the venue owners its worth them being open.If there was no bar most venues would have to charge that much hire fee it would be impossible to break even.

Cheers for reply Andy,maybe its me but they could do it years ago,why not now,surely its not that hard to find a vilage/town hall without a bar,or sports hall,and why would it cost anymore,its not a shut a drinkin/nighter thread Andy,but do think there would be a place for one without,as i say might attract some of the younger kids.maybe?. :lol:

Way I see it, it's a question of everything in moderation. :)

And you know a lot about moderation. :D

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Personaly i dont see a problem with the bar being on all nite,and i dont think a niter without a bar would attract any new blood.Promoteing today is a far cry from years ago ken,in those days we were younger and most of us didnt drink,pubs used to shut at 10 30 and it was a totaly different nite culture.I am at present negotiateing with a new venue to replace burslem,and guess what one of the first questions was,what sort of bar take do your other venues make.Im afraid its part and parcel of the scene now kenny ,right im off to the gym to work of this beer gut :D .

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Personaly i dont see a problem with the bar being on all nite,and i dont think a niter without a bar would attract any new blood.Promoteing today is a far cry from years ago ken,in those days we were younger and most of us didnt drink,pubs used to shut at 10 30 and it was a totaly different nite culture.I am at present in negotiateing with a new venue to replace burslem,and guess what one of the first questions was,what sort of bar take do your other venues make.Im afraid its part and parcel of the scene now kenny ,right im off to the gym to work of this beer gut :D .

I have to agree with Andy on this Ken. I actually don't drink or smoke, and I would love to go to a nighter that had no bar, and a smoking ban. Unfortunately I would probably be the only one there. :lol:

On a serious note, the people who own the venues are business men/women and all they are interested in is how much money they can make. If you tried to run a nighter without a bar, my guess is that the room owner would want all the door takings. So no money for the DJ's or the promoter. And to be honest, I don't think most people would turn up. The first thing I'm asked, is usually, "what time is the bar is open till"

So yes, I would support a nighter with no bar, but, the only things that matter to me are the quality of the music, and the sound system. Get those right and nothing else matters to me.

Phil.

Social source share

I have to agree with Andy on this Ken. I actually don't drink or smoke, and I would love to go to a nighter that had no bar, and a smoking ban. Unfortunately I would probably be the only one there. :lol:

On a serious note, the people who own the venues are business men/women and all they are interested in is how much money they can make. If you tried to run a nighter without a bar, my guess is that the room owner would want all the door takings. So no money for the DJ's or the promoter. And to be honest, I don't think most people would turn up. The first thing I'm asked, is usually, "what time is the bar is open till"

So yes, I would support a nighter with no bar, but, the only things that matter to me are the quality of the music, and the sound system. Get those right and nothing else matters to me.

Phil.

Nice thought out reply Quinvy,maybe i`ll have bash one day......... :D

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I dont care what people do at allnighters as long as they respect others. I dont drink myself anymore as I got rather too fond of it in my early twenties and knocked it on the head. The music and dancing gives me all the buzz I need nowadays. I get really annoyed with people not into Soul coming to allnighters and not understanding the etiquette of the scene. There were a few "tourists" at the 100 club in the summer spilling beer and dancing around taking the mick. I am all for people coming out of curiousity and to see what the scene is about as this attracts new blood but pissed twats acting like they are in a nightclub should be asked to observe the etiquette or piss off. In fairness to Ady at the 100 club he did announce it on the microphone for those idiots to cease their shite acting and plenty of us punters asked them to respect the dancefloor and they eventually pissed off when they realised they were not in a nightclub. That is the only problem I see with alcohol at allnighters. There was a case of friend of mine from the west of Ireland who travelled all the way from Glasgow to do a night at the 100 club a few years back but got so pissed and slept most of the nighter He had spent years looking forward to going there and then lived up to an Irish Stereotype. He barely remembered an hour of the night! :thumbsup:

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

I dont care what people do at allnighters as long as they respect others. I dont drink myself anymore as I got rather too fond of it in my early twenties and knocked it on the head. The music and dancing gives me all the buzz I need nowadays. I get really annoyed with people not into Soul coming to allnighters and not understanding the etiquette of the scene. There were a few "tourists" at the 100 club in the summer spilling beer and dancing around taking the mick. I am all for people coming out of curiousity and to see what the scene is about as this attracts new blood but pissed twats acting like they are in a nightclub should be asked to observe the etiquette or piss off. In fairness to Ady at the 100 club he did announce it on the microphone for those idiots to cease their shite acting and plenty of us punters asked them to respect the dancefloor and they eventually pissed off when they realised they were not in a nightclub. That is the only problem I see with alcohol at allnighters. There was a case of friend of mine from the west of Ireland who travelled all the way from Glasgow to do a night at the 100 club a few years back but got so pissed and slept most of the nighter He had spent years looking forward to going there and then lived up to an Irish Stereotype. He barely remembered an hour of the night! :D

Cheers Andy,right on........... :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest upsetterfc

I drink. I'm so used to getting paid from the bar receipts I feel bad if I don't...

Usually though, I don't drink to excess becuase I start tripping over my feet or spawning...

Social source share

a 'dry' all nighter is just an accident of the absurd british licensing laws of old (or not so old 'cos in westminster it's still absurd!)... I was at the 100 club with some spanish friends before christmas & they were appalled when the bar shut at 2am or whatever time it was. it certainly ain't a problem over here, just a question of drinking sensibly in my opinion...

M

Edited by macca
Social source share

a 'dry' all nighter is just an accident of the absurd british licensing laws of old (or not so old 'cos in westminster it's still absurd!)... I was at the 100 club with some spanish friends before christmas & they were appalled when the bar shut at 2am or whatever time it was. it certainly ain't a problem over here, just a question of drinking sensibly in my opinion...

M

This is England and no one drinks sensibly,ok a few do but in the main every body gets hammered :shades:

Social source share

M

Tell 'em they'll be OK until 5am now with the new 9-6 license. And with the extra bouncers around the drinks on the floor scenario should be over.

Social source share

Guest Baz

just a question of drinking sensibly in my opinion...

M

I've never herd more of an obserd statment in my life :thumbsup::lol:

Maybe we should start putting www.drinkaware.co.uk on the bottom of flyers now, im sure it will be compulsery soon :(

When you starting this drink free nighter up Ken, might have to gate crash it with a keg or two :(

I like a couple of pints befor i go any where near a dance floor :(

Social source share

Guest bananaman

Don't you think it should be up to the person if they want a drink and not someone telling you can't ,it called freedom mate !!!

Edited by bananaman
Social source share

This is England and no one drinks sensibly,ok a few do but in the main every body gets hammered :ohmy:

And that's probably because of the affore mentioned absurd British licensing laws whereby you had to cram in the drinks before the bar shut at an hour dictated by laws introcuded during the first world war to ensure that muntition workers didn't return to work p*ssed.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

And that's probably because of the affore mentioned absurd British licensing laws whereby you had to cram in the drinks before the bar shut at an hour dictated by laws introcuded during the first world war to ensure that muntition workers didn't return to work p*ssed.

totally agree, you would of thought they would of sobered up by now 60 years on, :ohmy:

Social source share

I've never herd more of an obserd statment in my life :ohmy::D

Maybe we should start putting www.drinkaware.co.uk on the bottom of flyers now, im sure it will be compulsery soon ph34r.gif

When you starting this drink free nighter up Ken, might have to gate crash it with a keg or two :P

I like a couple of pints befor i go any where near a dance floor :ohmy:

you must have heard a few absurd statements in your life then baz. there's nothing absurd about drinking 'normally'. unlike the UK, I live in a country where there's no pressure on to 'bop till you drop'. people don't drink shite like 'alcopops', the concept in itself is laughable, here we drink 'copas', that's to say reasonably large amounts of vodka, gin, whisky or whatever & nobody feels the urge to break into 'ten german bomber' chanting & worse. sensible drinking is enjoying a drink without making an utter arse of yourself. you give the impression that the teetotal northern soul fan is somehow on a higher plane (sic). it's about attitude, courtesy & general decorum, booze or no booze.

Social source share

Guest Baz

you must have heard a few absurd statements in your life then baz. there's nothing absurd about drinking 'normally'. unlike the UK, I live in a country where there's no pressure on to 'bop till you drop'. people don't drink shite like 'alcopops', the concept in itself is laughable, here we drink 'copas', that's to say reasonably large amounts of vodka, gin, whisky or whatever & nobody feels the urge to break into 'ten german bomber' chanting & worse. sensible drinking is enjoying a drink without making an utter arse of yourself. you give the impression that the teetotal northern soul fan is somehow on a higher plane (sic). it's about attitude, courtesy & general decorum, booze or no booze.

Was only a joke :ohmy:

Social source share

Never said it wasnt,but that is just a bit simplistic aint it,in other countrys everybodys is usualy encouraged to eat snakcs,Plus you can usualy buy drink anywhere not just pubs and off licences its usualy cheap,when was you last out on the razz and there was a bowl of nuts on the bar here(free),and buying snakcs in boozers over here is so expencive with a choice of nuts or crisps,or book a million quid meal that as come outa`a microwave,and it seems to me a lot of pups try to encorage football nutters with big screen footie who cant afford to go footie anymore,look at Belgum i whent last year to a allnighter,they drink 24/7 i couldnt believe it i got there thinking it might end early cause the landord said when it gets emty thats it,after we were burnt out and finnished and on our way the locals where still there drinking,the only noisy drunks was tourists (us).

Social source share

Tell 'em they'll be OK until 5am now with the new 9-6 license. And with the extra bouncers around the drinks on the floor scenario should be over.

God its like a nursery for adults,fukcs sake.......sorry but nanny state as just entered your club,look like a alcohol free allnighter is looking better,at least you wont be followed round all night.

Afternoon Ady :ohmy:

Social source share

Never said it wasnt,but that is just a bit simplistic aint it,in other countrys everybodys is usualy encouraged to eat snakcs,Plus you can usualy buy drink anywhere not just pubs and off licences its usualy cheap,when was you last out on the razz and there was a bowl of nuts on the bar here(free),and buying snakcs in boozers over here is so expencive with a choice of nuts or crisps,or book a million quid meal that as come outa`a microwave,and it seems to me a lot of pups try to encorage football nutters with big screen footie who cant afford to go footie anymore,look at Belgum i whent last year to a allnighter,they drink 24/7 i couldnt believe it i got there thinking it might end early cause the landord said when it gets emty thats it,after we were burnt out and finnished and on our way the locals where still there drinking,the only noisy drunks was tourists (us).

you're absolutely right ken.

I've seen it time & time again over here. in august 4500 nutters descend on the old town after the bullfights. that's 4500 nutters all divided into gangs called 'pe±as' wearing their own colours. they drink like cossacks & dance & party till daylight. a perfect recipe for stalingrad in the uk. not a whiff of trouble here. I've often wondered why...

M

Social source share

God its like a nursery for adults,fukcs sake.......sorry but nanny state as just entered your club,look like a alcohol free allnighter is looking better,at least you wont be followed round all night.

Afternoon Ady :ohmy:

bouncers are there to dissuade the more ignorant among us. I would never dream of stepping onto the floor with a bottle/fag, anywhere. decorum is the key word...

Edited by macca
Social source share

you're absolutely right ken.

I've seen it time & time again over here. in august 4500 nutters descend on the old town after the bullfights. that's 4500 nutters all divided into gangs called 'pe±as' wearing their own colours. they drink like cossacks & dance & party till daylight. a perfect recipe for stalingrad in the uk. not a whiff of trouble here. I've often wondered why...

M

Spain fantastic place,loads of bars with little snakcs on the bar for everybody......spannish omlates(spelling?)and tapas i think they call it?,old and young people together........not like here,they just dont mix.And they close when the place is emty,otherwise just carry on..........here its bet i can spend more money than you and drink more than you attitude,like a competition to see who can be sikc most times in a night. ph34r.gif

And Baz,you`ll have to do what we used to do..........do without!!(get smashed) :ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

bouncers are there to dissuade the more ignorant among us. I would never dream of stepping onto the floor with a bottle/fag, anywhere. decorum is the key word...

Its just a bit of overkill at the moment,and cant we do our own dissuading.

Social source share