• Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Lady Maverick

Oh yes!

Here is an excerpt from a review I am currently proofreading for post:

"Starting with his debut MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED (May 1969, #1 R&B-#31 Pop) and the single of the same name (#2 R&B, #9 Pop), we fans wonder if he channeled his energy with his departure from the Temptations on this song because of the emotions felt upon first listen. PIECES OF A MAN is not his strongest vocally IMHO, but very melodic and in contrast to the next cut, SOMEBODY STOLE MY DREAM could have been a potential hit with the strong hook and chorus. I'VE LOST EVERYTHING I'VE EVER LOVED (#11 R&B, #58 Pop) was the next single from this album, which sounds like a testimonial reprise for MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED. We get to hear David's interpretation of EVERLASTING LOVE, a big Club Play/Disco hit for Carl Carlton in 1974 and I'VE GOT TO FIND MYSELF A BRAND NEW BABY, a great mid-tempo song, was the B-side to MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED.

Why aren’t there more songs like THE DOUBLE CROSS? This slow groove is to the point and speaks to the soul! MESSAGE FROM MARIA has a Gospel-feel and its classic soul at its best, also not your average “Dear John” song. WORLD OF DARKNESS is another gospel-influenced track with a very innovative guitar trick/slide throughout. WE’LL HAVE A GOOD THING GOING ON is a mid-tempo song and was the B-side to I’VE LOST EVERYTHING I’VE EVER LOVED and MY LOVE IS GROWING STRONGER is an excellent slow song. FLOWER CHILD is another mid-tempo song that takes you back to the 60s (even if you weren’t around then) and rounds out the original album."

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

Oh yes!

Here is an excerpt from a review I am currently proofreading for post:

"Starting with his debut MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED (May 1969, #1 R&B-#31 Pop) and the single of the same name (#2 R&B, #9 Pop), we fans wonder if he channeled his energy with his departure from the Temptations on this song because of the emotions felt upon first listen. PIECES OF A MAN is not his strongest vocally IMHO, but very melodic and in contrast to the next cut, SOMEBODY STOLE MY DREAM could have been a potential hit with the strong hook and chorus. I'VE LOST EVERYTHING I'VE EVER LOVED (#11 R&B, #58 Pop) was the next single from this album, which sounds like a testimonial reprise for MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED. We get to hear David's interpretation of EVERLASTING LOVE, a big Club Play/Disco hit for Carl Carlton in 1974 and I'VE GOT TO FIND MYSELF A BRAND NEW BABY, a great mid-tempo song, was the B-side to MY WHOLE WORLD ENDED.

Why aren't there more songs like THE DOUBLE CROSS? This slow groove is to the point and speaks to the soul! MESSAGE FROM MARIA has a Gospel-feel and its classic soul at its best, also not your average "Dear John" song. WORLD OF DARKNESS is another gospel-influenced track with a very innovative guitar trick/slide throughout. WE'LL HAVE A GOOD THING GOING ON is a mid-tempo song and was the B-side to I'VE LOST EVERYTHING I'VE EVER LOVED and MY LOVE IS GROWING STRONGER is an excellent slow song. FLOWER CHILD is another mid-tempo song that takes you back to the 60s (even if you weren't around then) and rounds out the original album."

So pretty much mid tempo by the looks of it, nice review btw Maverick!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup: IF YOUR A TWO STEPPER THIS ALBUM FOR U BUT IF U LIKE FASTER ONES NO MATEY KTF RICTIC :thumbsup:

Is this album any good, any good dancers etc?

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Social source share

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Yes , the album is very good ...... but I am blinkered when it comes to DR : he could have sung " old McDonald had a farm " and it would have sent the hairs up on the back of my neck .......

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday , December 16th , 7.30 PM - 1 AM

Our " Eee , When I Were A Lad " Christmas Special - 100 % OLDIES ALL NIGHT !!

Guest DJ - Santa GINGER TAYLOR and his soulful sack

plus regular tunesmiths MALC BURTON & REG WILLIAMS

Further info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Directions - see advert for the night in events section for details

Social source share

Many thanks in advance

Simon

It depends how you define dancers but am putting 2 tracks from this on my CD swap including an amazing version of Everlasting Love!! Maybe not Northern but just a great great soul album by someone at the pinnacle of his powers!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Simon, it's a David Ruffin LP!

Is he any good, Paul? :thumbsup:

There's a copy for sale in Snoopers for £17, wondered if it was worth purchasing?

Simon

Social source share

my all time favourite artist

absolutely awesome

buy it if you can get one in decent nick

the greatest male vocal of all time for me

got my copy from the corn exchange in manchester many many years ago

wonderful record

love his version of everlasting love.............

Social source share

Is he any good, Paul? :thumbsup:

There's a copy for sale in Snoopers for £17, wondered if it was worth purchasing?

Simon

bit pricey you'll see it cheaper. if its in that glass cabinet i believe he has a permanent 50% off sale, so its £8.50 which is ok. check the condition as well he's seems to price things up without checking them properly. i almost bought an lp off him and it was shot to bits when i got it out of the cover. might see you there i'm going to pop in tomorrow at some point.

cheers Paul

Social source share

bit pricey you'll see it cheaper. if its in that glass cabinet i believe he has a permanent 50% off sale, so its £8.50 which is ok. check the condition as well he's seems to price things up without checking them properly. i almost bought an lp off him and it was shot to bits when i got it out of the cover. might see you there i'm going to pop in tomorrow at some point.

cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

It's £35 in the glass cabinet so £17.50 unfortunately, i've checked the condition & it looked very good.

Hopefullly see ya in town

Simon

Social source share

• 9 months later...

"Message from Maria" in my opinion is a hidden gem. This song is so incredible that the first time I heard it (about a month ago), I had to turn off my I Pod and simply reflect on how powerful it was. EVERY time I hear it, I get chills. IDavid's range was incredible, one of a kind, and I love his gospel sound. 'll let the song speak for itself...

Social source share

Quite simply, David Ruffin was the greatest male soul singer that ever lived, even ahead of Marvin Gaye.

Really deserves a complete in depth biography to be written about him and especially his relationship with Berry Gordy and the Motown company after he was sacked from the Temps.

Here is one of the greatest performances in the history of soul music, one never tires of hearing - and seeing -this:

Social source share

Quite simply, David Ruffin was the greatest male soul singer that ever lived, even ahead of Marvin Gaye.

Really deserves a complete in depth biography to be written about him and especially his relationship with Berry Gordy and the Motown company after he was sacked from the Temps.

Here is one of the greatest performances in the history of soul music, one never tires of hearing - and seeing -this:

thanks for posting up the clip....... 'Walk Away From Love' for me is a PERFECT record

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert