Clifford Binns

Derek Pearson

In 1987 James Hendricks operating out of Nashville, Tennessee released an album on Carrie entitled 'Sounds Of The Sixties'. Featuring 11 tracks it included 2 from Clifford Binns "Who told you" and "I'm human too". Have these 2 cuts been released anywhere else? Checked the recent LaBeat CD from Grapevine but there's no mention.

Copies of this album came into the UK and were sold through lists quite cheaply, seem to think they were all in plain white card sleeves (like my copy is). post-1224-1164884559_thumb.jpg

Haven't seen a copy for sale in years. "Who told you" is a great slice of moody empty Detroitness whilst "I'm human too" is quite nice in a bouncy kind of way.

onwards, derek

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

In 1987 James Hendricks operating out of Nashville, Tennessee released an album on Carrie entitled 'Sounds Of The Sixties'. Featuring 11 tracks it included 2 from Clifford Binns "Who told you" and "I'm human too". Have these 2 cuts been released anywhere else? Checked the recent LaBeat CD from Grapevine but there's no mention.

Copies of this album came into the UK and were sold through lists quite cheaply, seem to think they were all in plain white card sleeves (like my copy is). post-1224-1164884559_thumb.jpg

Haven't seen a copy for sale in years. "Who told you" is a great slice of moody empty Detroitness whilst "I'm human too" is quite nice in a bouncy kind of way.

onwards, derek

Interesting...I got a cd about 8 years ago off a pal who had contacts in the States, it's 29 tracks of mostly unissued Detroit material. The 2 Clifford Binns sides are on it and a whole host of other stuff by Arabians, Masqueraders, Bob & Fred etc...The cd came with sparse track listings and I had to do a lot of work to get the tracks matched up with artists. One in particular which is a real favourite is called 'What Went Wrong with Our Love' a great mid-tempo Detroit heart wrencher, this is one which I could never find any info on whatsoever except that there was a track of similar title by the Valentines??? Also another called 'Just One More Chance', again, no info except similar title by the Combinations??

Can anyone help on these?

Incidently, the flip of Majjestees 'Take Back all Those Things' on Mutt is on the CD and is credited to 'Bob & Fred'...not as on the 45. 'Let Her Go' is the tune and is still credited to Majjestees on the 45.

John

Social source share

Not much help John, but there was recently a CD of unissued Big Mack material in the Eccentric Soul series which had Bob N Fred , Edd Henry amongst others on it. I'm sure Paul at Millbrand and the Grapevine guys may be able to help.

Rich

Thanks for that. I'll try and find some info on that cd you mention and see if I can marry up some of the tunes on mine.

Social source share

Keeping on the same subject of Detroit unissued, are these two new Grapevine 45s previously unreleased tracks?

DETROIT MAGNIFICENTS - IS THIS A WOMANS WAY

AL WILLIAMS - TRY THEM

thinking of buying, but only if not otherwise available..

the Al Williams is, presume t'other is as well

Social source share

Keeping on the same subject of Detroit unissued, are these two new Grapevine 45s previously unreleased tracks?

DETROIT MAGNIFICENTS - IS THIS A WOMANS WAY

AL WILLIAMS - TRY THEM

thinking of buying, but only if not otherwise available..

The Detroit Magnificents is definitely unissued. It has got the same backing track as Youngblood Smith 'You can split'.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert