Would You Play These

Guest Simon

Dusty Springfield - In the middle of nowhere

Supremes - Nothing but heartaches

Martha & the Vandellas - In my lonely room

A few tunes i play at Da Doo Ron Ron, all usually go down a storm, don't think i've ever heard any of them played at an NS do but for me they're all superb up dancers with the right ingredients, would love to spin them one day at an NS do but not sure how they'd be received.

Any other tunes people would like to spin but are a little apprehensive?

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A few tunes i play at Da Doo Ron Ron, all usually go down a storm, don't think i've ever heard any of them played at an NS do but for me they're all superb up dancers with the right ingredients, would love to spin them one day at an NS do but not sure how they'd be received.

Not to sure about the Dusty track (no pun intended) but martha reeves and supremes great sounds , have played them both at our events in motown slots in the past and both have been well recieved ...lonely room is one of my own personal fave motown tracks , incidently dont you think it sounds very similar to the 81 by candy and the kisses?

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

One of my all-time fave Motown tunes. :thumbsup:

I don't play at northern do's these days.

Best of the three, :D

Best of the three, :lol:
In my lonely room that is.
Social source share

I take it noone much rates the Dusty track, to me it's a great blue eyed soul dancer, seems to me maybe a bit of snobbery towards Dusty on the NS scene, perhaps?

Social source share

I take it noone much rates the Dusty track, to me it's a great blue eyed soul dancer, seems to me maybe a bit of snobbery towards Dusty on the NS scene, perhaps?

no snobbery at all..whats it gonna be was played all over the country but this dusty track should only be played as the title suggests..in the middle of nowhere

moldie

Social source share

Simon :D

In My Lonely Room is excellent.

Never heard it at a wedding and wouldn't put it in that catagory of Motown records such as Baby Love, and f***ing Jimmy Mack that have been played at every wedding, 40th etc. that I've ever been to!!! :thumbsup:

Well that might be an exaggeration. :lol:

I don't now know if my imagination is getting the better of me but was IMLR played at Denton last Friday?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Simon :unsure:

We'd still have to be talking original vinyl only. Four that i've always wondered about how they'd be received are:

The Emotions - You got the best of my love

Stevie Wonder - If you really love me

and even greater odds on...

Earth Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland

Jackson 5 - I want you back

Social source share

I still play Martha at oldies nights, the best Supremes track is "Hes all ive got" never fails

talking of supremes...try b side of tmg. 616 reflections- going down for the third time! (oeerrr missus) cheap as you like record, but just right for today..played it a few times myself- went down a treat ... stop it!....seriously, great one to reactivate

Edited by jemco
Social source share

Simon :unsure:

no.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

they'd go down a shredder even better. :D

Oh well, he did say apprehensively.... hang on your 'last played clip' was Interplay... :shades::yes::lol:

Just research? :wicked:

Social source share

Simon :wicked:

NO u dont wanna do that, not when theres a zillion better options, the dusty tracks not even northern? another is pop soul, the other one been overplayed ok "i'l go to the bar" northern :yes:

what about playing Peoples Choice in the mainroom "jamm jamm" :shades:

Social source share

Oh well, he did say apprehensively.... hang on your 'last played clip' was Interplay... :yes::lol::D

Just research? :shades:

Adam played If you really love me at the end of Andy ( kid mohair) and Gina s wedding soul night and it went down a karaoke treat!

Its just the ultimate in feel good music.......now who said shredder? Tut tut....I feel a soap box moment coming on :wicked:

Social source share

Simon :wicked:

The Dusty record doesn't have a 'Northern' beat so counts itself out I reckon...plus I like the Kellee Jackson version better anyway.

Isn't Martha an excepted 'Mod' classic? Aren't records like it the bedrock of the Northern sound? Isn't it a rewrite of Candi and The Kisses 'The 81' another 'bedrock' record?

These other two are miles better and less 'pop' than things like 'Don't Pity Me' or 'Blowing Out The Candles' so I don't see why not.

Social source share

Adam played If you really love me at the end of Andy ( kid mohair) and Gina s wedding soul night and it went down a karaoke treat!

Its just the ultimate in feel good music.......now who said shredder? Tut tut....I feel a soap box moment coming on :wicked:

As one of the last records of the night at "Sounds of Soul" at Hemel Hempstead on Saturday Reg introduced "Seven rooms of gloom/Four Tops as one to sort the men out from the boys. He ent kiddin, what a fantastic track but impossibly fast! The head said "no' but the beer said GO! :shades:

Social source share

The Dusty record doesn't have a 'Northern' beat so counts itself out I reckon...plus I like the Kellee Jackson version better anyway.

Isn't Martha an excepted 'Mod' classic? Aren't records like it the bedrock of the Northern sound? Isn't it a rewrite of Candi and The Kisses 'The 81' another 'bedrock' record?

These other two are miles better and less 'pop' than things like 'Don't Pity Me' or 'Blowing Out The Candles' so I don't see why not.

Some good points there Simon, i'm just presuming the two Tamla tunes aren't played cause they're too commercial.

I agree the Dusty track hasn't got a standard NS beat but neither have a lot of other things that get played on the scene & the Dusty track is very easy to dance to & has a real upness about it, i have actually had NS bods dancing to it before at DDRR so i don't think it'd be shunned by the whole NS fraternity.

Simon

Social source share

Why supplement really good 60's with pop like that?

Scraping the barrel of the highest order absolutely 1000's of records to choose from that dont get much action..............If i knew i was going to hear records like that of a night out i wouldn't bother going :wicked:

Social source share

Why supplement really good 60's with pop like that?

Scraping the barrel of the highest order absolutely 1000's of records to choose from that dont get much action..............If i knew i was going to hear records like that of a night out i wouldn't bother going :wicked:

I'd call it Pop/Soul & that has always been played on the NS scene, at least they've got some life to them unlike some of the dull things that some people play on todays scene.

Simon

Social source share

I'd call it Pop/Soul & that has always been played on the NS scene, at least they've got some life to them unlike some of the dull things that some people play on todays scene.

Simon

There's the rub. Some people on the scene think a good record is a rare record, whether 'rare' means price or the amount you hear it played out, i don't know :wicked: ...... but that doesn't make it nessecarily a good dance floor record. :yes: I'm sure tho, there are plenty of rare records that are would be great dance floor records if only we could get to hear them! On the other hand,there are those POPular records that some would turn their noses up at but fill a floor every time. At the end of the day,it's an individual taste. Crikey, it would be boring if we all liked exactly the same thing! :shades:

Social source share

Not sure this fits the bill of tunes people would like to play but feel apprehensive about, but I think it goes with the flow of the the thread.

Barry Cooper played Isley Brothers - I hear a Symphony at a recent Pilsley night, that went down a storm - perhaps also memories of Carmel Strings from a day gone by in there. I tend towards an imagined RIGHT time to drop sounds in, if it's a spot full of more popular (at their time) records the individual great sound, of which I'd think IMLR is one can get lost. But drop it in the RIGHT place and it can feel fresh and distinctive.

One of my current favourites is Lesley Gore - No matter What You Do, don't feel apprehensive about playing it, but it needs to fit the spot - as I hope it will at the Attic on Saturday (Mansfield - see events).

Guess it's all opinion and taste, varied and better for it. Dean

Social source share

Not sure this fits the bill of tunes people would like to play but feel apprehensive about, but I think it goes with the flow of the the thread.

Barry Cooper played Isley Brothers - I hear a Symphony at a recent Pilsley night, that went down a storm - perhaps also memories of Carmel Strings from a day gone by in there. I tend towards an imagined RIGHT time to drop sounds in, if it's a spot full of more popular (at their time) records the individual great sound, of which I'd think IMLR is one can get lost. But drop it in the RIGHT place and it can feel fresh and distinctive.

One of my current favourites is Lesley Gore - No matter What You Do, don't feel apprehensive about playing it, but it needs to fit the spot - as I hope it will at the Attic on Saturday (Mansfield - see events).

Guess it's all opinion and taste, varied and better for it. Dean

Lenny Dopson drops in 'Move on up'/Curtis Mayfield which sounds awesome juxtaposed with Len's modernish/rare set.

Social source share

===========

Think its a great record, surprised people want to shred it??

Also heard behind a painted smile at Sharon and Steve's 25th anniversary the other night and it sounded brilliant :shades:

Social source share

===========

Think its a great record, surprised people want to shred it??

Also heard behind a painted smile at Sharon and Steve's 25th anniversary the other night and it sounded brilliant thumbsup.gif

hiya winston, think maybe shredding only in the context of playing at a northern night. if the thread was "great feel good records for a celebration (soulish) party" those records mentioned be on most peoples lists, tho still not sure that particular Dusty track is even soul, good tho it is.

Social source share

tho still not sure that particular Dusty track is even soul, good tho it is.

It may not be Soul but neither are other various things that get spun in the name of Northern Soul but i do think at least that Dusty track is a good uptempo dancer.

Simon

Social source share

Simon :(

used toplay the supremes track when i dj'd at stockport guild hall...always packed the floor mate :yes:

Social source share

hiya winston, think maybe shredding only in the context of playing at a northern night. if the thread was "great feel good records for a celebration (soulish) party" those records mentioned be on most peoples lists, tho still not sure that particular Dusty track is even soul, good tho it is.

============

Know what you mean Danny, but I think 'if you really love me' isn't out of its depth at a northern do :yes::(

Social source share

Oh well, he did say apprehensively.... hang on your 'last played clip' was Interplay... :yes::yes::yes:

Just research? :(

are you casting aspersions on my good taste young fellow? yes I did play interplay. it was to see if it was as awful as I remember. haven't you ever been bitten by the midge of curiosity? :D the shredder thing was in reference to earth wind & fire & the like. I'd rather listen to derek & ray than 'september' or 'boogie wonderland'. didn't somebody mention EW&F or am I losing the plot?

macca.

Edited by macca
Social source share

I'm a big van fan & even though he has graced northern dancefloors in the past, I can't quite see 'precious time' in the same context. what about his live version of ain't nothing you can do?

a stormer. & redwood tree off 'st.dom's preview? maybe I'm dreaming... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Diana Ross and the supremes - Nothing But Jeartaches is classic and ain't even popular compared to Baby Love etc so on the scene why not but saying that who's to tell us if it was a top 10 etc we can't play it. Temptations - Ain't To Proud to Beg still gets played here and is a winner everytime but who can complain it is one of the all time greats

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert