How Did It Get There!?

Dayo

Hippo just gave me an idea for this thread. He mentioned in another topic that he found a Joe Hicks original out in Lanzarote and couldn't work out how on earth it got there.

Anyone else found any gems in odd and inexplicable locations?

Not perhaps the best or most bizarre example, but my story is this; was flicking through the usual dross in an Evesham junk shop back around 1976. In amongst the Slade and Mud, there was one single solitary American import. I didn't know it at the time, but the label and pedigree looked irresistable. Couldn't wait to get it home, and I wasn't disappointed, although the tempo was way too slow for those manic days.

And that's how I bought a copy of Landy's Doctor Good Soul on Moonshot for just ten pence.

But what on EARTH was it doing there? It was the only soul record in the rack in a sleepy English market town a gazillion miles from Detroit.

What's your story?

Colin

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Chicago actually Col but know what you mean, and what a fantastic record that is too. I got an Anthony & The Aqualads from a shop in Eastbourne - the guy in there actually gave it to me for nothing. I'm sure Mr Sutton told me he got the copy of Will Collins that I bought off him out of a charity shop in Eastbourne too.

Social source share

About 15 years ago was walking round an open air market market in Auburndale, Florida when we stopped to look at some Jack Russell pups that were for sale. The "stall" was a makeshift pet shop of sorts. Anyway , whilst we're looking I spies a buch of 45 on Coral Demos just lying there in a box. "How much for the 45s?" asks I. "50cents apiece" comes the reply. I duly paid the guy and took 17 demos (MINT) or Patti Austin's "Take Away The Pain Stain" back to Burnley Bank Hall Miners and sold 'em for a couple of beers each!

How'd they end up there, still sleeved, minters too? No idea! Never even had a record stall on that market. Never has. Happy days.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Chicago actually Col but know what you mean, and what a fantastic record that is too. I got an Anthony & The Aqualads from a shop in Eastbourne - the guy in there actually gave it to me for nothing. I'm sure Mr Sutton told me he got the copy of Will Collins that I bought off him out of a charity shop in Eastbourne too.

yes i did, the guy had about 50-60 singles in a box he'd bought in and it was the second record. he ummed and ahhed about prices and charged more for the records by artists he had heard of than those he hadn't 'i've never heard of this one before it must be rubbish, oh the detroit emeralds they were a good group i think that was a hit that's got to be at least £3', etc. bought a load of singles then went straight down the pub for the afternoon.

I originally came to brighton for one summer and got a job working in an antiques shop which rapidly turned into a junk shop. when we decied to redecorate, pulled away a false wall under the window to find hundreds of records, all the usual val doonican and mantovani junk shop lp's, only to find in the middle of it all a mint copy of j r bailey 'just me'n'you' lp.

Social source share

Found loads of stuff over the years, but around 12 years ago i went for a drive in the Peak District one Sunday Morning and found a small "raise money for the under 9s football team" car boot sale. Only half a dozen booters on , all crap they were selling. I saw about 20 albums proped up against the wheel of a car and went to look. des O'Connor, Great Classics, top of the pops-----then out from inbetween then drops the only 45 on the whole boot sale---A mint UK DEMO copy, still in its sleeve---James Walsh Gypsy Band "Coz its you girl" RCA I paid my 25p and left with a smile----but how the F*** did it get there ??? The Record fairy ??? :thumbsup:

Social source share

About 15 years ago was walking round an open air market market in Auburndale, Florida when we stopped to look at some Jack Russell pups that were for sale. The "stall" was a makeshift pet shop of sorts. Anyway , whilst we're looking I spies a buch of 45 on Coral Demos just lying there in a box. "How much for the 45s?" asks I. "50cents apiece" comes the reply. I duly paid the guy and took 17 demos (MINT) or Patti Austin's "Take Away The Pain Stain" back to Burnley Bank Hall Miners and sold 'em for a couple of beers each!

How'd they end up there, still sleeved, minters too? No idea! Never even had a record stall on that market. Never has. Happy days.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Wow! Nice one. I also like the idea of a record fairy dropping these gems into unexpected places.

Social source share

Not Soul I know, but a friend of mine went to a Church Fete last year. Amongst the folding wallpaper pasting tables was an old lady in her late 70s selling home sponge cakes and scones. He went over with his wife to buy a few scones and a cake. When they were waiting to be served he noticed a few boxes on the floor. One had some old Womans Own magazines and another had some 45s. He picked up the box and started to look through them. He had never heard of hardly any of the artists, but they were all unplayed, in original sleeves and mostly demos. He asked the lady how much they were and she said a pound.

He turned to his wife and said how much change have you got I may as well buy a few I have heard of. The old lady said, No, a £1 for them all. He had 67 singles in the box. They were all mainly 60s psychadelia, all mint all unplayed. Amongst them was The Fleur De Lys on Polydor, the Robert Plant singles prior to Led Zeppelin. I totalled the value up against the Record Collector valuations and it came to just over two grand.

Now I ask you, Church Fete, little old lady, hand of God, who knows. How did they get there ? But it is the truth.

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

I was talking to Mike Shawe the other day as the place I got these from were not too far from his Bang Bang records - there was, back in the 70's, a second hand book store, sold a few records. I used to check it from time to time and picked up some useful British stuff like for example take your love and run on red atlantic or Jayboy demos. So in one respect this is not necessarily unusual but one day i found about 3 old emidiscs - double sided northern soul - they were a bit battered with the metal inside breaking through at the edges, played a bit ropey but I still have them.

Long time since i looked at them but it was Embers, Lou Johnson/LJ Johnson, can't remember the others. Always did wonder how they got into a backstreet second hand store in Bristol, not necessarily the NS capital of the world.

Social source share

not me but my mate jason starr found a copy of lareine la mar - thats not the way to love on cloud for £2 in bristol in amongst all sorts of tat in a record shop...took him 4 hours searching through dross...he charged me £150 fer it....but it was money well spent as it went to another person for £300 in trades....hows that for inflation???...and indeed what was it doing with the U2 and smiths singles???... :D

i like that record fairy theory....

cookie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Around 1983 I went to a lunchtime jumble sale at my college. I came across a box that was full of nothing but very decent condition (mostly mint unplayed) British Demos. Not all soul by any means (Des O'Connor, Mrs Mills etc.) but some very nice Oriole records (Stevie Wonder - Fingertips Pt 2, Contours - Do You Love Me) and a completely mint Showmen - Country Fool on a beautiful London American Recordings yellow demo. All 10p each. I get the feeling there was more UK goodies, but I was a callow youth who didn't know much about the ways of rare soul and only had about a quid on me at the time. Hardly earth-shattering, but a nice little find all the same.

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

post-2247-1164734560_thumb.jpg

In San Fransisco, why would this get pressed on demo in the USA?

i thought micheal jackson did the american release,sorry old joke.
Social source share

on holiday in Dawlish Warren,Devon way, found a Gloria Jones LP in a charity shop around '78, album..Come go with me.

Why is it that in almost every Dutch flea market I visit theres without fail a copy of Paper Lace and Notts Forest ''Hes Got The Whole Team In His Hands" 45 pic sleeve?

Cheeers Paco

NOTTM FOREST :unsure:

Social source share

About 20 years ago, found a Valentines "Breakaway" SS7 at a Plymouth infant school Jumble sale. It was among the usual Ken Dodd Tears etc. The label was damaged where someone had sellotaped a centre spider into it. But at 2p it was a bargain. Played ok as well.

Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

About 20 years ago, found a Valentines "Breakaway" SS7 at a Plymouth infant school Jumble sale. It was among the usual Ken Dodd Tears etc. The label was damaged where someone had sellotaped a centre spider into it. But at 2p it was a bargain. Played ok as well.

Paul

"Breakaway" must have been a charity shop/jumble sale special! Mine came from a local Sue Ryder Shop, also about 20 years ago and cost me all of 20P.

Best 'How did it get there' story that I know goes back just 3 or 4 years. I'm in Porretta with Tony Ellis, for the yearly Soul Festival. As anyone who's been there will know, there's a small market in Porretta at the weekends, and one of the long time stallholders is a guy selling all sorts of tat, mostly things like Mussolini calendars and whatever, but also with a few boxes of 45s and albums. These, in turn, are almost all Italian pressings.

I'm going through his boxes of pic sleeves, pulling out a few things like Etta James Italian Chess 45s, none of any real consequence and probably worth something less than I paid for them, really. Mr. Ellis, however, heads straight for the box of non-pic sleeve 45s and, in among the hordes of knackered old Rita Pavone and Mal singles, finds the only US 45 on the whole stall - a mint condition, Epic demo - in its original sleeve - of the Poppies' "There's A Pain In My Heart"! "Cuanto?" asks Tone? "Un' Euro" replies 'Mussolini Man'. Tone is never slow to put his hand in his pocket, but the speed with which a one Euro coin is produced would have done Michael Schumacher proud!

I'm back in Porretta the following year, this time with the wife, and on market day I head straight for the same stall. I find no evidence that there's been any new 'stock' whatsoever since the previous year, although I do go back a couple more times on Saturday and Sunday morning, just to check...

Our friends John and Mo Marriott are also in Porretta, and John has also looked at the records a few times, to no avail. However, he's walking up the road on Sunday evening, en route to the gelateria, when his eye is caught by the sight of a US Verve demo that definitely wasn't on the stall earlier. On closer examination it reveals itself to be a copy of the super-rare Velvet Underground single "All Tomorrow's Parties" - and behind it are about 20 other US import demos, including things like a Pat Lundy Columbia 45 and several others of similar quality, if not rarity. "Cuanto" asks John. Ol' "Musso"s prices have gone up a bit, unfortunately - they're now a whopping 2 euros per 45! Again, John and his money are parted at 'fool'-like pace!

I've been back to Porretta on at least three more occasions since then. The stall is still there and 'Musso" still has boxes of 45s - but I've never seen another US pressing, be it demo or issue, since.

How, pray tell, did this handful of US 45s, including at least two 'money' tunes, turn up in a tiny little spa town on the borders of Tuscany?

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

About 6 weeks ago I found a copy of "Manifesto" in the waiting room of my local Dentists.

Not the record, the magazine... in amongst the Caravaning and Ideal Home mags.

How did it get there? :thumbsup:

I also (many years ago, at Clifton Hall) found a really good record in Brian Raes playbox. It was Millie Jackson's "Ask Me What You Want".

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

About 15 years ago I found 30 copies of Billy Hambric and the Curly Hammers Band at a car boot fair in Oxford. The guy had these and about 10 other UK pop things for sale in a box. He wanted 10p each for them. When I asked where they had come from and did he have anything else, he replied "10p each, do you want them or not"!!!!!!!!!

Well it would have been rude not to.

Social source share

About 30 years ago (1975-78) I had a Record Stall on Rotherham market.

I mainly sold old second hand 45's & Lp's and always had people bringing plastic bags and boxes full of stuff to me for sale and trade... with many awesome finds (mainly British stuff), far too numerous to go into detail on here.

All my 'new' stock, though, used to come from my local record shop "The Sound Of Music" and I used to meet the Shop owner at 8.00am each morning with a trolley to pick up all the new releases.

One morning, just as I thought I'd loaded all the new releases on the trolley, to take them to the stall, he sticks a brown box on top of the pile and said, "you might as well have these, I don't know if they're any good or not".

When I got back to the stall it was a 50 count of Jack Montgomery "Don't Turn Your Back On Me" on Barracuda.

Took me about 2 years to shift them... at a pound apiece.

Not the biggest find ever... but how did they get there?

Sean

Social source share

About five years ago I was in Ealing visiting Thames Valley Uni and happened upon an Oxfam shop that just did records and books I found a few nice British items. Jimmy Radcliffe on Stateside a few early TMG demos and best of all an American Poets - She Blew a Good Thing on a yellow London Demo.

No unussual to fine record in a record shop but all the sleeves had the name and address of the previous owner who lived in Edinburgh. How they got to Ealing is beyond me.

Social source share

I mainly sold old second hand 45's & Lp's and always had people bringing plastic bags and boxes full of stuff to me for sale and trade... with many awesome finds (mainly British stuff), far too numerous to go into detail on here.

All my 'new' stock, though, used to come from my local record shop "The Sound Of Music" and I used to meet the Shop owner at 8.00am each morning with a trolley to pick up all the new releases.

One morning, just as I thought I'd loaded all the new releases on the trolley, to take them to the stall, he sticks a brown box on top of the pile and said, "you might as well have these, I don't know if they're any good or not".

When I got back to the stall it was a 50 count of Jack Montgomery "Don't Turn Your Back On Me" on Barracuda.

Sean

I know someone who bought one of those. They sold it to me for £90 a couple of years ago, I sold it on for a bit more :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sean

Small world,i got a few from upstairs at S Crofts loft,in they`re shop,i got £200 apiece for em` :thumbsup: ,i think it was a give away record for cleggie anniversary,if so its gotta` be the best give away ever,100club biggie before anywhere else yes.gif you aint got any left,have you? :thumbsup:

Social source share

About 6 weeks ago I found a copy of "Manifesto" in the waiting room of my local Dentists.

Not the record, the magazine... in amongst the Caravaning and Ideal Home mags.

Sean

Could be someone like me,

Just finished Jury service, on the last day I left the Decembers copy of "On the scene" and a couple of flyers for the usher ,on his request, in the Juror`s waiting room :thumbsup:

Social source share

not my find, but the original dave thorley copy of pyramid soul bros inc was found by a girl at a boy scout troop's jumble sale in gloucestershire. she gave it to tim ash who gave it to dave.

how the hell it got there, no-one seems to know.

i got a copy of start! in berlin after the wall came down, which was nice but not quite that weird.

Social source share

100club biggie before anywhere else :lol:

Nah Ken, Massive on my Rotherham Market Stall in '75 mate!

I played it full blast at least a dozen times a day and even ended up swapping one to an Asian guy called Khalid on the next stall for a pair of Levis!

Still got 'em!

biggrin.gif

I wonder if the ones in Crofty's shop (also in Rotherham) came from the same wholesaler?

I do seem to remember giving them away at Cleggy some years later so you might be right on that one. Also copies of "The Down Sound" which were picked up for 10p each!

Happy days.

Sean

I know someone who bought one of those. They sold it to me for £90 a couple of years ago, I sold it on for a bit more :lol:

Aha! I guess I'll be in for a bit of commision then Dave, as a "finders fee!"

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Hippo just gave me an idea for this thread. He mentioned in another topic that he found a Joe Hicks original out in Lanzarote and couldn't work out how on earth it got there.

Not perhaps the best or most bizarre example, but my story is this; was flicking through the usual dross in an Evesham junk shop back around 1976. In amongst the Slade and Mud, there was one single solitary American import. I didn't know it at the time, but the label and pedigree looked irresistable. Couldn't wait to get it home, and I wasn't disappointed, although the tempo was way too slow for those manic days.

And that's how I bought a copy of Landy's Doctor Good Soul on Moonshot for just ten pence.

But what on EARTH was it doing there? It was the only soul record in the rack in a sleepy English market town a gazillion miles from Detroit.

What's your story?

Colin

Red & white TMG Demos of Barbara McNair " YGLMB " & The Detroit Spinners

" IALY " along with a green & white TMG demo of the reissue of Martha & The Vandellas

" Jimmy Mack " / " Third finger, Left Hand " , plus Gene McDaniels " Another Tear

Falls " ( Liberty ) , Jay & The Americans " Girl " / " Some Enchanted Evening " ( UA red & white demo ) and Jack Hammer " Love Ladder " ( Polydor ), found in a box of disposable pop records at a car boot sale , one rainy Sunday morning when I was coming back from an all - nighter , in Kent in 1988 . Total for the above ..... £ 5.00 .

The BM & TDS were each sold for a nice profit shortly after ; modesty prevents me disclosing the exact figures ......

An original Unity copy of Candi Staton's " Now You've Got The Upper Hand " and a VIP demo of Bobby Taylor " Oh I've Been Blessed ", found amongst a box of pressings at a record fair in Rotherham Library . The box - 25 discs I think - cost me £ 10.00

The CS was later sold for £ 95.00 ; the BT for £ 30.00 .

Nice work if you can get it .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I've found two in the past few years, James Phelps on Apache for £4 in a second hand record shop in Croydon and a Roosevelt Matthews for £6.66 in West Wickham, Kent. Starnge places for records like that to turn up.

Ah yes, Paul...that James Phelps was mine...I absent mindely left it in the shop :lol:laugh.gif Now West Wickham, that is far flung...and £6.66....was the owner's name Satan :lol: if you went back, the shop won't be there :lol: A friend of mine found a George Freeman 'Down and Out' in a boot fair in Tonbridge for 50p....life is SO unfair :lol: Jo

Red & white TMG Demos of Barbara McNair " YGLMB " & The Detroit Spinners

" IALY " along with a green & white TMG demo of the reissue of Martha & The Vandellas

" Jimmy Mack " / " Third finger, Left Hand " , plus Gene McDaniels " Another Tear

Falls " ( Liberty ) , Jay & The Americans " Girl " / " Some Enchanted Evening " ( UA red & white demo ) and Jack Hammer " Love Ladder " ( Polydor ), found in a box of disposable pop records at a car boot sale , one rainy Sunday morning when I was coming back from an all - nighter , in Kent in 1988 . Total for the above ..... £ 5.00 .

The BM & TDS were each sold for a nice profit shortly after ; modesty prevents me disclosing the exact figures ......

An original Unity copy of Candi Staton's " Now You've Got The Upper Hand " and a VIP demo of Bobby Taylor " Oh I've Been Blessed ", found amongst a box of pressings at a record fair in Rotherham Library . The box - 25 discs I think - cost me £ 10.00

The CS was later sold for £ 95.00 ; the BT for £ 30.00 .

Nice work if you can get it .

Malc Burton

OMG Malc...where in Kent....not Tonbridge?? See my previous post...that would be TOO spooky :lol: Jo

Social source share

Hi

We went to the coast on our scooters in the 70's, called in at a Transport Cafe'.

One of the mates decided to try the Juke Box, (all chart stuff)

Anything you chose from the charts, didn't play, but from the revolving cassette of singles came numerous Soul Tunes.

Nothing, really rare, but stuff like "Seven Days Too Long" - Big T, "Let's Copp A Groove" - Beacon.

I'd love to know who put them there, and also wonder why they were missing from the playlist.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

"Breakaway" must have been a charity shop/jumble sale special! Mine came from a local Sue Ryder Shop, also about 20 years ago and cost me all of 20P.

Mine were two mint UK copies of the Hollidays 'Making up Time' on Polydor issue - mint stock bags and glistening vinyl....50p each in a Ramsgate junk shop and I bartered the guy down to 25p each...as 'I've not got enough for my bus fare home otherwise'... :lol: and a copy of Bluebeat Special on UK Coxsone...for 25p in a Broadstairs junk shop - and the Amalgamated Jackpot LP for 20p...

How, pray tell, did this handful of US 45s, including at least two 'money' tunes, turn up in a tiny little spa town on the borders of Tuscany?

American Forces stationed there....there are pockets of resistance all around Italy and you turn up the most unexpected items...ask Roccia or Diego...or Marco & Barbara :lol: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

and on import...the Falcons - I'm a Fool - 50p in Bury St Edmunds - but there are some US airforce bases nearby... :lol: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

American Forces stationed there....there are pockets of resistance all around Italy and you turn up the most unexpected items...ask Roccia or Diego...or Marco & Barbara :lol: Jo

Ah, but you're sort of missing the point, m'dear - all of the tunes that John bought were good (can't remember what the others were now). Why were there no 1910 Fruitgum Company's or Bobby Sherman's among the small pile? Surely American Forces would have been sent those, too? It was almost like someone had pulled 20 great demos out of the air and dumped them in the middle of nowhere just to get a reaction from a single minded soul fan. If that's so, he or she certainly did...

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

and on import...the Falcons - I'm a Fool - 50p in Bury St Edmunds - but there are some US airforce bases nearby... :lol: Jo

..."I'm A Fool" was an ever-present in early 'Blues And Soul' soulpacks, Jo, I had at least three out of them in the early 70s, when the record was only worth 50P. I'm sure that soulpacks must have filtered out to B. St. E, too :lol:

TONE

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Ah, but you're sort of missing the point, m'dear - all of the tunes that John bought were good (can't remember what the others were now). Why were there no 1910 Fruitgum Company's or Bobby Sherman's among the small pile? Surely American Forces would have been sent those, too? It was almost like someone had pulled 20 great demos out of the air and dumped them in the middle of nowhere just to get a reaction from a single minded soul fan. If that's so, he or she certainly did...

TONE :lol:

Hmm, that is a small clue that I overlooked but perhaps someone had already had the Bubblegum Co. and left the rest thinking they were rubbish 45s :lol: I know that Diego (Smartgroover) went through a radio station's library in Naples that was part of NATO and it was crammed full of soul....it took him about a fortnight to go through the stuff....terrible, eh :lol: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

..."I'm A Fool" was an ever-present in early 'Blues And Soul' soulpacks, Jo, I had at least three out of them in the early 70s, when the record was only worth 50P. I'm sure that soulpacks must have filtered out to B. St. E, too :lol:

TONE

Sob sob...and there was me thinking I'd got a bargain :lol: and Soul Bowl was only down the road....Jo

Social source share

Nah Ken, Massive on my Rotherham Market Stall in '75 mate!

I played it full blast at least a dozen times a day and even ended up swapping one to an Asian guy called Khalid on the next stall for a pair of Levis!

Still got 'em!

:lol:

I wonder if the ones in Crofty's shop (also in Rotherham) came from the same wholesaler?

I do seem to remember giving them away at Cleggy some years later so you might be right on that one. Also copies of "The Down Sound" which were picked up for 10p each!

Happy days.

Sean

Sean

I went to buy the "down sounds",well me and Steve,from the pound shop,across from McDonalds in Rotherham,box`s full of em`,12"motown,now i own a 7" demo,twice if you count part 2,on the both side of another promo,whats that about :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Ah yes, Paul...that James Phelps was mine...I absent mindely left it in the shop :lol:laugh.gif Now West Wickham, that is far flung...and £6.66....was the owner's name Satan :lol: if you went back, the shop won't be there :lol: A friend of mine found a George Freeman 'Down and Out' in a boot fair in Tonbridge for 50p....life is SO unfair :lol: Jo

OMG Malc...where in Kent....not Tonbridge?? See my previous post...that would be TOO spooky :lol: Jo

Hi Jo ......

Sorry , no . It was on the way back from Herne Bay , somewhere between there and Gravesend ; all I can remember it was in a large field , situated at the side of the main road we travelling on . Besides the discs , I bought a frame containing dead specimens of british moths for £ 8.00 off the same woman . Don't ask ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hi Jo ......

Sorry , no . It was on the way back from Herne Bay , somewhere between there and Gravesend ; all I can remember it was in a large field , situated at the side of the main road we travelling on . Besides the discs , I bought a frame containing dead specimens of british moths for £ 8.00 off the same woman . Don't ask ......

Malc Burton

Moths,i keep mine in me wallet :lol: good tactics i think Mr Burton,like buying a side board for the vase thats sat on it, worth thousands . :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

What's your story?

Colin

Great thread, but I'll take issue with you calling Slade dross. :lol: You need to play the b sides! :lol:

Social source share

Moths,i keep mine in me wallet :lol: good tactics i think Mr Burton,like buying a side board for the vase thats sat on it, worth thousands . :lol:

No Ken ....

The " moths in a frame " purchase came after the discs , not as a ruse to keep the woman occupied .......

I bought it as I had always wanted a frame with butterflies in ; moths , I decided , were the next best thing .

I have only recently thrown away the frame , as the moths inside it had all

disintegrated sad.gif

I won't be going back to Kent in order to seek the woman out for a refund , as she probably has read JM's book :lol:

Malc " Del " Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hi Jo ......

Malc Burton

Malc, sounds suspiciously like Sittingbourne....funny people down there..they collect rare soul records and dead moths. Now if you went further up the road to Chatham, they collect rare soul and underground maps showing 'lost' stations whistling.gif:D Allnighters in Herne Bay...that was a long time ago...Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

'I've found two in the past few years, James Phelps on Apache for £4 in a second hand record shop in Croydon and a Roosevelt Matthews for £6.66 in West Wickham, Kent. Starnge places for records like that to turn up.'

I know someone that turned up a mint Timi Yuro on Liberty in the same place.......had some luck on some British soul bits but certainly no finds of that quality.....doubly gutting as I've just bought an RM (although for a great price) and I only live just round the corner! ranting_1.gif:D:D

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Ah yes, Paul...that James Phelps was mine...I absent mindely left it in the shop :yes::yes: Now West Wickham, that is far flung...and £6.66....was the owner's name Satan :yes: if you went back, the shop won't be there :( A friend of mine found a George Freeman 'Down and Out' in a boot fair in Tonbridge for 50p....life is SO unfair :D Jo

That was the price after discount Jo! Twas originally £8.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert