Is There Any Point Doing 'general' Soul Lists?

Pete S

I've got maybe 1,500 soul records I need to get shut of which either are not northern or are very borderline, I call these general soul records - they also include late doo wop, ballads, modern etc. Do you think that there's any point in doing a list of these records? I was thinking of knocking them out at maybe £3 or £4 each across the board regardless of what they are, it's just that it is an awful lot of work sorting and typing that lot up. Does anyone on here actually collect non-northern soul? Just wondering whether to bother that's all. For instance: first lot is Atlantic label, there's 100 or so of those, artists like...

SPINNERS, BARBARA LEWIS, BEN E KING, JACKIE MOORE, MAJOR HARRIS, WILSON PICKETT, BILLY VERA, CLARENCE CARTER, ROBERTA FLACK, PERCY SLEDGE, SOLOMON BURKE, ARETHA FRANKLIN, RUTH BROWN, CHUCK WILLIS, DAVID NEWMAN, BETTY JOHNSON, CLYDE MCPHATTER, DUSTY SPRINGFIELD, PATTI LABELLE, SONNY WRIGHT, MARION WILLIAMS, LAVERN BAKER, ARCHIE BELL and so on

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've got maybe 1,500 soul records I need to get shut of which either are not northern or are very borderline, I call these general soul records - they also include late doo wop, ballads, modern etc. Do you think that there's any point in doing a list of these records? I was thinking of knocking them out at maybe £3 or £4 each across the board regardless of what they are, it's just that it is an awful lot of work sorting and typing that lot up. Does anyone on here actually collect non-northern soul? Just wondering whether to bother that's all. For instance: first lot is Atlantic label, there's 100 or so of those, artists like...

SPINNERS, BARBARA LEWIS, BEN E KING, JACKIE MOORE, MAJOR HARRIS, WILSON PICKETT, BILLY VERA, CLARENCE CARTER, ROBERTA FLACK, PERCY SLEDGE, SOLOMON BURKE, ARETHA FRANKLIN, RUTH BROWN, CHUCK WILLIS, DAVID NEWMAN, BETTY JOHNSON, CLYDE MCPHATTER, DUSTY SPRINGFIELD, PATTI LABELLE, SONNY WRIGHT, MARION WILLIAMS, LAVERN BAKER, ARCHIE BELL and so on

Me too Pete - was just going to whack 'em on Ebay as job lots, can't work out whether or not people on here actually buy Northern soul records :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Me too Pete - was just going to whack 'em on Ebay as job lots, can't work out whether or not people on here actually buy Northern soul records :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd have bought half the records off your list if they'd been at my prices laugh.gif

Pete - You would be surprised just how many you would sell if you did a £3 a piece etc list on here. Maybe a list a week? I for one mainly collect non-northern these days - ballads/deep etc etc and I bet a fair amount of others do too.

ATB

Rich

Maybe I'll do them in the batches then - A to H first, see how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

....Try to hold off on listing them till next week, please, mate - I'm taking the female Rounces on holiday tomorrow and I wouldn't want to miss out!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

i think the lack of other decent soul forums means there are a lot of people of fans of non-Northern stuff here, reading even if not posting much. recognise quite a few names from the modculture board for starters... i would definitely like to see more sales lists of R&B, vocal groups and other early stuff...

Social source share

OK so the lists are a goer then. But what about pricing. I've got what is obviously a great record like Dale Hawkins - Suzie Q on original Checker, I can't exactly ask £3 or £4 for that, on the other hand I wouldn't know how to go about pricing something like that, and would upping the price put people off. Or should I not make it like a jumble sale £3 list, clean all the records up and put them on at book prices? It's hard to know what to do for the best, can't win if you're too cheap, can't win if you go by the book. Whoever suggested soul packs, I may well consider that, thanks.

Social source share

Is it me only but i have noticed lately that the £10 and £15 records on lists dont seem to sell so may be they really should be priced properly at £3 to £5 :thumbsup:

No thats perfectly true Ted. Though I do sell loads at £3 to £5 while everyone else is trying for £20 on the same record. If a record is under £20 it's usually safe to say that there are numerous copies around.

Social source share

i think the lack of other decent soul forums means there are a lot of people of fans of non-Northern stuff here, reading even if not posting much. recognise quite a few names from the modculture board for starters... i would definitely like to see more sales lists of R&B, vocal groups and other early stuff...

Plenty of other decent forums, you just haven't found 'em yet :thumbsup:

Many collect general stuff Pete, often good deep and ballads to be found in amongst so called "general" soul.

Social source share

Soul packs is a good idea.

I rarely buy from lists on here unless I come across a record that's too difficult to find on ebay. Mostly because of the prices.

Soul packs are more interesting because they're a bit of a musical treasure hunt. Unless they're priced too high.

If you have a cash flow problem it's better to dump your dead stock at low prices so you can buy records that will give you better profit.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert