Ac Tilmon & The Detroit Emeralds

Guest eedeecee

Guest eedeecee

over the weekend I went through a pile of forgotten 45's and I pulled out

'Rosetta Stone', by AC Tilmon & The Detroit Emeralds...post-263-1164628215_thumb.jpg

I remember this was played in disco's in the early days. Nice dancer from 1975 coming out of Detroit... how would you classify this 45???

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest eedeecee

It's a bit poppy but flip it over..the other side is great. I think I posted it up in the 'sounds' section.

Simon, man, you're right; the other side is nice funky and groovy...although I still prefer the 'Rosetta Stone' song...also since this is quite rare and has never been released on any Detroit Emeralds album??

I suppose AC Tilmon as featured singer came in around 1975 as before that time it was just Abe and Ivory Tilmon and James Mitchell? Or is AC similar for Abe??

Edited by eedeecee
Social source share

Simon, man, you're right; the other side is nice funky and groovy...although I still prefer the 'Rosetta Stone' song...also since this is quite rare and has never been released on any Detroit Emeralds album??

I suppose AC Tilmon as featured singer came in around 1975 as before that time it was just Abe and Ivory Tilmon and James Mitchell? Or is AC similar for Abe??

I've always been confused about what actually happened with the group. As far as I'm aware, Abe is AC Tilmon. It certainly sounds like him. To me, it sounds like him on the Flaming Emeralds 'Have Some Everybody' too but given the Tilmon's were brothers and apparently The Flaming Emeralds were also family, maybe it's just a family vocal similarity. Ivory and James plus one other name (which has gone from my mind), carried on and recorded and had at least one record released as The Detroit Emeralds in the UK, 'Dance School/ Cutting The Groove'. I saw them perform in the UK a number of times, including a tiny working mens club in Wales somewhere, and they were always great.Somewhere I have a publicity shot of them from the time. One memorable night, we dashed across London seeing The Emeralds at The Mean Fiddler in Harlesden after seeing The Drifters with Johnny Moore at Walthamstow Assembly Hall in the same night. This was within a year of Abe dying Because I spoke to James about it.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Abe Tillmon had a falling out with James and Ivory c. 1974 and took off with the group's name. James and "Iry" recruited a fellow named Carl (second name I don't remember), changed their name to 'Now' and cut the unashamedly Detroit Emeralds-like "Girl You Sure Nuff Turn Me On" for Fee under that name.

I think that they might have been back in the fold by the time that "Feel The Need '76" came out but even if they were I am fairly certain that "Rosetta Stone" is just by Abe Tillmon and some backing vocalists, rather than a real group.

How fantastic were the Detroit Emeralds, by the way? One of the greatest soul harmony groups of their decade, IMO, with hardly a bad record to their name. Here's a quick Tone's Top Five on 'em Det-Ems tunes:

1. I Can't See Myself Doing Without You

2. Holding On

3. My Dreams Have Got The Best Of Me

4. (I'm An Ordinary Man) Take Me the Way I Am (one of the most underrated Ric Tic records of all)

5. I Bet You Get The One (Who Loves You)

...and that's without the hits!

TONE :)

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Found this at the weekend after a bit of hunting....it's from 1984 which surprised me because I would have put it few years earlier which makes me wonder what heck I was doing in 1981/2/3 that I don't remember...

post-1354-1166002204_thumb.jpg

Social source share

over the weekend I went through a pile of forgotten 45's and I pulled out

'Rosetta Stone', by AC Tilmon & The Detroit Emeralds...post-263-1164628215_thumb.jpg

I remember this was played in disco's in the early days. Nice dancer from 1975 coming out of Detroit... how would you classify this 45???

Don't remember this getting played, immediately made me think of Fantastic Four "Alvin Stone (Birth and death of a gangster), also on Westbound, which definitely did get disco action for a short while.

Jerry,

Social source share

Does anyone know anything about Damon Shawn who also did a version of 'Feel the Need' on Westbound produced by Abe Tilmon ? The other side 'I'm Wishing' is a nice Al Greene - ish dancer.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert