Linda Jones - Blue Cat 45

Guest Johnny Mack

Guest Johnny Mack

Love the lady to bits and have watched with interest about true soulies on here, but tell me honestly which is the better side of her Blue Cat 45 "Hit my like Tnt" or "Fugitive from love"- Blue Cat BC 128 :

Two very different tempos - I've just played both sides and am interested in the feedback - I can guess what Tony's response is going to be and I'm guessing we're both on the same page !

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Love the lady to bits and have watched with interest about true soulies on here, but tell me honestly which is the better side of her Blue Cat 45 "Hit my like Tnt" or "Fugitive from love"- Blue Cat BC 128 :

Two very different tempos - I've just played both sides and am interested in the feedback - I can guess what Tony's response is going to be and I'm guessing we're both on the same page !

Have had this 45 for years (bought it back in 73) and always thought it a strange tempo for a dance record. It got reactivated in the late 80's and I still thought it wierd... although Lindas vocals are amazing (as ever),

"Fugitive From Love" is by far the better and most 'listenable' Soul record of the two and a different recording of the same song on Turbo.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

I loved 'TNT' on first listening (on one of first compilations I got) but probably a bit frantic... not listened to it for ages.. it is a weird one as well, rhythm wise... don't think I've heard 'Fugitive...'.. clip anyone?

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest mel brat

T. N. T. Always a strange sort o' tempo 4 me, bit 2 old school i'm afraid.

Best Bri.

Yes, it was always a little fast and awkward to dance to even in 1973! However, since I'd crawl over broken glass to hear Linda Jones sing, it matters not! Both sides great, however am I the only one who rates the Turbo re-recordings of her songs equally?

Social source share

:shades:

'Hit Me' lends itself more to a traditional Northern dancer, love it

but....'Fugitive' is a bit special in it's own right

Still 'You Cant take it' does take some beating (mono mix on French Warner Bros 7", Not the Lp or ep mix/version)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

'Hit Me' lends itself more to a traditional Northern dancer...

Max Millward (aka 'Blue Max') used to hammer this at the Cats, C.October '73. Not quite such utter perfection as "I Just Can't Live My Life", (or even "My Heart Needs A Break") - but wow!, it's LINDA JONES!!!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

A bit of fan the lady myself but this is her one 45 that eludes me. Back in the days of the MECCA I passed on a copy for 4 quid - my limit was £2 in those days! However, it is not my favourite dancer of hers!. The b side 'Fugitive From Luv (sic)' can be picked up cheaply on Cotique b/w Bessie Banks 'Go now' and as Sean says different than the Turbo version.

Agree that 'You Can't take it' on French Warner Bros 7" takes some meeting - loved the LP version for years until that turned up. And I like both sides of her Atco single - and the Linda Lane thing isn't bad either.

The question I would ask is what do you prefer her Loma or Turbo recordings? I think the overall production, quality and slightly less tortured vocals on the Loma stuff edges it for me.

Mike

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mike

Gasp! Never knew ya' could change your font to Times Roman n' stuff here?!! How did you do that Mike? :thumbsup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A bit of fan the lady myself but this is her one 45 that eludes me. Back in the days of the MECCA I passed on a copy for 4 quid - my limit was £2 in those days! However, it is not my favourite dancer of hers!. The b side 'Fugitive From Luv (sic)' can be picked up cheaply on Cotique b/w Bessie Banks 'Go now' and as Sean says different than the Turbo version.

Agree that 'You Can't take it' on French Warner Bros 7" takes some meeting - loved the LP version for years until that turned up. And I like both sides of her Atco single - and the Linda Lane thing isn't bad either.

The question I would ask is what do you prefer her Loma or Turbo recordings? I think the overall production, quality and slightly less tortured vocals on the Loma stuff edges it for me.

Mike

Record for record, the Turbo sides do it every time. But I agree with my new friend Mike that the Loma's are better produced. I don't know what it was with the All Platinum studios, but the productions back then were invariably lousy. I tried to remix a couple of Linda's tracks from the original 4 and 8 track tapes when i worked at Sequel - not to turn them into house tracks or whatever, just to see if i could tidy up the sound a bit. Not possible - they were so poorly balanced in the first place that they were beyond 'tidying'.

My five Linda faves on Turbo:

1. If Only We Had Met Sooner

2. I've Given You The Best Years Of My Life

3. I Can't make It Alone

4. Stay With Me Forever

5. For Your Precious Love

...and my fave faves on other labels:

1. That's When I'll Stop Loving You (Neptune)

2. I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow (Neptune)

3. What Have I Done (To Make You Mad) (Loma)

4. Hypnotised (Loma)

5. Yesterday (Loma)

...I've deliberately discounted the dancers here, of course...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Record for record, the Turbo sides do it every time. But I agree with my new friend Mike that the Loma's are better produced. I don't know what it was with the All Platinum studios, but the productions back then were invariably lousy. I tried to remix a couple of Linda's tracks from the original 4 and 8 track tapes when i worked at Sequel - not to turn them into house tracks or whatever, just to see if i could tidy up the sound a bit. Not possible - they were so poorly balanced in the first place that they were beyond 'tidying'.

My five Linda faves on Turbo:

1. If Only We Had Met Sooner

2. I've Given You The Best Years Of My Life

3. I Can't make It Alone

4. Stay With Me Forever

5. For Your Precious Love

...and my fave faves on other labels:

1. That's When I'll Stop Loving You (Neptune)

2. I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow (Neptune)

3. What Have I Done (To Make You Mad) (Loma)

4. Hypnotised (Loma)

5. Yesterday (Loma)

...I've deliberately discounted the dancers here, of course...

TONE

Good call on the first two Turbo choices Tone - played them back to back in my one and only spot in the Downbeat lounge at Soul Essence. The Turbo version of 'If Only We Had Met Sooner' does just pip the Loma version.

'Yesterday' eh? an interesting choice that one - prefer the otherside but of course she can do no wrong!

Mike

Social source share

Guest mel brat

My five Linda faves on Turbo ...and my fave faves on other labels...

I wish I could be so certain in my choices! Think I might go for "Don't Go (I Can't Bear To Be Alone)" The two Neptune releases are crackers though aren't they? Also, what about her version of "I (Who Have Nothing)" on Loma - whew!

post-4950-1170623570_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1170623589_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1170623634_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1170623680_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1170623703_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!