steve z

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Steve,

Would have thought this one was so simple even you could grasp it.

A collector is someone who collects stuff - stamps, books, navel lint

A DJ is someone who puts records on for people to dance/listen to.

Q-E-bloodyD

Go on then Joe - What are you & don't you dare say a collector of navel lint.

Social source share

Think most dj's would consider themselves collectors as well with 1 noteable exeption but he's had enough stick on here today...

I disagree, i think a lot of major DJs buy and sell to be able to afford the latest tunes.A collector will buy stuff to store away and will rarely sell a record. I`m a bit in the middle here, I sell a lot of stuff i get from the US that i could keep but once a record has gone into the playbox it rarely finds its way to the sales box.........

Chris

Social source share

Think most dj's would consider themselves collectors as well with 1 noteable exeption but he's had enough stick on here today...

I disagree, i think a lot of major DJs buy and sell to be able to afford the latest tunes.A collector will buy stuff to store away and will rarely sell a record. I`m a bit in the middle here, I sell a lot of stuff i get from the US that i could keep but once a record has gone into the playbox it rarely finds its way to the sales box.........

Chris

I gotta agree with Chris here, a lot of DJs nowadays do 'sell to buy' so as to rotate their sets (obviously linked with the inflated rise in prices of decent rare vinyl), but don't really 'collect' as such in my opinion.

I personally tend to collect (or hoard as my missus see it :huh: ), and very rarely sell anything from my own collection.

So see myself as a collector more than a DJ (awaiting obvious sarcastic comments :unsure: )

Never been one to chase label runs etc though, and don't really relate to that side of things because I buy it if I like it, and very few labels have complete number runs of quality tunes......imo of course :thumbsup:

Social source share

Chris

Probably right about the so called major dj's Chris but i'm pretty sure they would all class themselves as collectors too if asked.

We all have stuff in our play boxes that we don't play at home but there's the stuff we all collect simply because we love it.

How many of the tracks in your dj box do you listen to at home?

If you're like me not many i bet.

Social source share

If you're like me not many i bet

I dont really play records at home anymore mate, although i used to when i lived alone and actually i threw a couple of Lps on today while i was home alone.... But whenever i do a CD i do a copy for myself and play it in the car or while i`m messing about on here, so i guess thats playing my own records!

It would be interesting to go thru my boxes and know the date i last played every record out. So why do i keep them...? Shifty is always on my case about hoarding records i dont need but no way am i a collector, just keep stuff i might need "one day"....A couple of months ago i played Sam Fletcher out for the first time, even though I`d had it about 10 years...i knew I`d need it one day.......its an expensive hobby this DJing.....

Chris

Social source share

In my case,all of 'em :unsure: I wouldn't buy a record I don't like, if it's cr@p but popular let one of the other DJs play it :thumbsup:

You're a collector who occasionally dj's though Neil.

Probably put my foot in it here as i am too :huh:

Kind of leads to another topic here.

Someone asks you to play a track you don't like & before you all say you don't own any tracks you don't like lets say it's a b side of a track you do like & it's in your play box.

Do you play it?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i am a collector of all music on vinyl and cd. my dad collects Northern soul however we buy what we like and not part.

We do mobile disco's so we generally have loads of CD's however we do specialize in Northern soul/motown nights if people ask. (that is gonna make most people think twice) as i know some on here would state never ask the mobile DJ for some Northern Soul or you will get in return something like Baby Love - Diana Ross and supremes but i can asure you we are not like that as requested before at a party do you have Bob Relf - Blowing my mind to pieces and was happy to play

what i do say about vinyl records is they don't or wouldn't get played so much for one thing i can transfer on to cd so when on here i can play a cd out easy instead of having to keep changing every LP over or change every single. If i did or me and dad together started to DJ at Northern soul nights we would make sure we had all Vinyl records to play

Social source share

Steve,

Would have thought this one was so simple even you could grasp it.

A collector is someone who collects stuff - stamps, books, navel lint

A DJ is someone who puts records on for people to dance/listen to.

Q-E-bloodyD

Hello Joe,Thanks for your fabulous insight within your reply.

Social source share

I gotta agree with Chris here, a lot of DJs nowadays do 'sell to buy' so as to rotate their sets (obviously linked with the inflated rise in prices of decent rare vinyl), but don't really 'collect' as such in my opinion.

I personally tend to collect (or hoard as my missus see it rolleyes.gif ), and very rarely sell anything from my own collection.

So see myself as a collector more than a DJ (awaiting obvious sarcastic comments :thumbsup: )

Never been one to chase label runs etc though, and don't really relate to that side of things because I buy it if I like it, and very few labels have complete number runs of quality tunes......imo of course :shades:

Do agree to a certain extent - some, not all DJ's, sell to buy - to keep on top - most will buy to DJ and also collect for themselves.... not everything a collector likes and buys is suitable to play out at a venue - so to some extent a DJ has to not only take into account his own like n belief in the record but to consider pleasing the dance floor as well.... A truely difficult task at best of time's, with so many taste's n style's to satisfy yes.gif

DJ - buys to please self n others

Collector - buys to please self only

Can see appeal of chasing label run's, need a bit of spare money though as Mace said won't all be quality records..... Interesting though I think..

Karen

Social source share

Never been one to chase label runs etc though, and don't really relate to that side of things because I buy it if I like it, and very few labels have complete number runs of quality tunes......imo of course :thumbsup:

I would collect a label inbetween getting my wants first time round.

Now I buy simply what I like for me, if it fits in my Dj set it's an added bonus.

Social source share

Do agree to a certain extent - some, not all DJ's, sell to buy - to keep on top - most will buy to DJ and also collect for themselves.... not everything a collector likes and buys is suitable to play out at a venue - so to some extent a DJ has to not only take into account his own like n belief in the record but to consider pleasing the dance floor as well.... A truely difficult task at best of time's, with so many taste's n style's to satisfy :yes:

Can see appeal of chasing label run's, need a bit of spare money though as Mace said won't all be quality records..... Interesting though I think..

Karen

Some of the sets i've heard over the years makes me wonder who exactly they are trying to please :thumbsup:

Social source share

Do agree to a certain extent - some, not all DJ's, sell to buy - to keep on top - most will buy to DJ and also collect for themselves.... not everything a collector likes and buys is suitable to play out at a venue - so to some extent a DJ has to not only take into account his own like n belief in the record but to consider pleasing the dance floor as well.... A truely difficult task at best of time's, with so many taste's n style's to satisfy :yes:

Karen

Hi Karen,you have probably nailed how I collect :thumbsup: I only DJ about 24 ish times a year.

So I am by definition a collector who is mainly asked to DJ by fellow collectors who promote venues........? ATB Steve :D

Social source share

Well has to be stated.IMHO A DJ is ...............A .........Collector is .........

My belief is available...........ATB Steve

A DJ is Tony Humphries,

compare and contrast to Kenny Dope Gonzalez a collector....

Not sure if thats what you are after.

I would suggest that the 44 million dj's/collectors currently on the Northern Soul scene fit somewhere between the above in exact definitions!

Maybe the 2 non dj's on the Northern scene can decide.

Social source share

A DJ is Tony Humphries,

I would suggest that the 44 million dj's/collectors currently on the Northern Soul scene fit somewhere between the above in exact definitions!

Maybe the 2 non dj's on the Northern scene can decide.

Opinions.

Social source share

A DJ is Tony Humphries,

" Maybe the 2 non dj's on the Northern scene can decide. "

:thumbsup::yes::D:D

Hiya Jock dude ...... ya got that 'bout right

Val

Social source share

I would suggest if you google their name rather than "best unkown I have never heard" you will find that they are facts not opinions, or at least the DJ/Collector definitions are!

Hi now I'm unsure what you are after " best UNKOWN I have never heard" Please explain?ATB Steve. Have you posted a reply on the correct thread?

Social source share

I would say in terms of vinyl 45s I am now a DJ only. Simply because I only buy records to DJ with, in other words, I don't collect records.

However, in terms of collecting the music I love on any format, I'm as bad as anyone else, just I collect CDs.

It took me a long time to come to this way of thinking though, but the realisation that almost anything I want to listen to is available on CD (Even if it's from a mate), and I very rarely play records at home (because I can't be bothered getting up every three minutes), meant that money I spent on records for my collection, that then sat in a box never played, could be spent on more expensive records for my DJ box.

So, to DJ with, I buy records, and when I buy something new for the play box, I sell something out of the play box to pay for it.

To listen to at home, I buy CDs (Over 2000 at the last count)

I would say though that it took me a long time to break the collecting habit, and on several occasions have gone through a sort of relapse and started collecting odd things again. At one point I decided to collect look-alike bootlegs. Then when I'd bought a few thought what the hell am I doing ? I would never DJ with them, I would never play them at home, why was I buying them !

I have every respect for collectors though. I would love to have the time and money and devotion that they have in collecting records. I'ts just that when I came to make the decision to DJ or collect because I couldn't do both, DJing won for me. I'd also like to think that I made the right decision because because I've averaged over 50 bookings a year for the last four years, and I'm sure wouldn't have managed that many if I hadn't concentrated my money at my DJ box.

Social source share

I would say in terms of vinyl 45s I am now a DJ only. Simply because I only buy records to DJ with, in other words, I don't collect records.

However, in terms of collecting the music I love on any format, I'm as bad as anyone else, just I collect CDs.

It took me a long time to come to this way of thinking though, but the realisation that almost anything I want to listen to is available on CD (Even if it's from a mate), and I very rarely play records at home (because I can't be bothered getting up every three minutes), meant that money I spent on records for my collection, that then sat in a box never played, could be spent on more expensive records for my DJ box.

So, to DJ with, I buy records, and when I buy something new for the play box, I sell something out of the play box to pay for it.

I would say though that it took me a long time to break the collecting habit, and on several occasions have gone through a sort of relapse and started collecting odd things again. At one point I decided to collect look-alike bootlegs. Then when I'd bought a few thought what the hell am I doing ? I would never DJ with them, I would never play them at home, why was I buying them !

I have every respect for collectors though. I would love to have the time and money and devotion that they have in collecting records. I'ts just that when I came to make the decision to DJ or collect because I couldn't do both, DJing won for me. I'd also like to think that I made the right decision because because I've averaged over 50 bookings a year for the last four years, and I'm sure wouldn't have managed that many if I hadn't concentrated my money at my DJ box.

Hi Dave .How are you ? Not seen you since Bury with John .

Thanks for an honest reply to what I thought was a thread deserved of thoughtful answers.

A few seem not to have been thoughtful replies.

Todays collectors are possibly NOT tomorrows DJs? ATB Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

If you're like me not many i bet

I dont really play records at home anymore mate, although i used to when i lived alone and actually i threw a couple of Lps on today while i was home alone.... But whenever i do a CD i do a copy for myself and play it in the car or while i`m messing about on here, so i guess thats playing my own records!

It would be interesting to go thru my boxes and know the date i last played every record out. So why do i keep them...? Shifty is always on my case about hoarding records i dont need but no way am i a collector, just keep stuff i might need "one day"....A couple of months ago i played Sam Fletcher out for the first time, even though I`d had it about 10 years...i knew I`d need it one day.......its an expensive hobby this DJing.....

Chris

totally agree

take out aprox 500 singles and 30 albums to play from

mental

but you never know what you may need or what may be requested

collect or dj

bit of both as there are some trax I would never sell

STRANGE WORLD WE LIVE AND PLAY IN

:thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

The way I see it is that a collector buys records because they like them, regardless of tempo or the possibility of playing them out.

A DJ buys with a mind to play out only.

Having said that the northern scene is as much a collectors scene as it is a dance scene, which is why you have record bars at do's so the line is blurry.

Social source share

Hi Karen,you have probably nailed how I collect :thumbsup: I only DJ about 24 ish times a year.

So I am by definition a collector who is mainly asked to DJ by fellow collectors who promote venues........? ATB Steve :(

Hiya Steve,

24 time's a year is roughly every other weekend, so that make's you a DJ first I would have said... :yes: Do you buy with DJing in mind or buy to collect for you, and only DJ where you know like minded collectors promote a venue, so no presure to buy to fill the floor.... :D

Karen

Social source share

Hiya Steve,

24 time's a year is roughly every other weekend, so that make's you a DJ first I would have said... :huh: Do you buy with DJing in mind or buy to collect for you, and only DJ where you know like minded collectors promote a venue, so no presure to buy to fill the floor.... :huh:

Karen

Hi Karen....I like and collect mainly Mid-tempo tunes be them from the late 50s to the mid 70s.

So perhaps playing these tempo records out suits me and todays choice? :yes:

Resident at the Greatstone and around about a further dozen invites a year at venues that

allow me to play what I want :ohmy: Not many I might add blush.gif

ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i'd go along with that , only difference is i don't buy cd's , hate the bloody lickle silver things so any tracks i want that i can't play i download and they go on mp3 player

Davie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert