A Soul Artist We All Love

Dayo

• Replies 63
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Surely surely NO-ONE (and I defy anyone) dislikes Curtis Mayfield. Towering figure not just in the soul genre but music full stop!

ATB

Rich

Love "The Makings Of You" "Give It Up" and "Love To Keep You In My Mind"

...to name but three!

Also, just about everything with the Impressions.

Good call Rich.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I would direct anyone who questioned Marvin Gaye's vocal range and power to look at the footage of him doodling and extemporising an embryonic I Want You whilst laying in a prone position on the recording studio couch at some point in the mid 1970s. This footage shows that he had a very real and very special talent which few American vocalists will ever match. As for his voice not portraying emotion I really am speechless. Rather than reel off a list of records which never fail to possess the power to move me to tears I will point to one performance alone: a spontaneous piano jam of Distant Lover performed on the hoof for a camera crew who followed him to recreate his Belgian odyssey in the early eighties. It is a performance which marries the angelic purity of Sam Cooke at his best with the darker tone of a man who perhaps had too much of an idea that within two years his life would arrive at the tragic junction where he would depart this earth. Truly mesmerising.

I can agree with a line of opinion which has it that he largely wasted those great talents, but to characterise his singing as no more than the thin high-tenor of a mere journeyman is being mean-spirited.

But in terms of a soul singer we all ought to love, I would single out Bettye Lavette.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Surely surely NO-ONE (and I defy anyone) dislikes Curtis Mayfield. Towering figure not just in the soul genre but music full stop!

ATB

Rich

Too right :D:thumbsup:

But......... I do know one person who doesn't really like Mr. Mayfield's voice, the fool! No, not Curtis- I mean D***** B***** :yes:

Loads of great names already mentioned, but how about Emanuel Laskey?

Social source share

You are probably more familar with a greater body of Marvin's work than I am, Gareth. And I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction regarding where we can find examples of Marvin's 'awsome range'. Basically wasn't his range 'high tenor'. ? And wasn't it a rather thin and pinched kind of high tenor voice at that, lacking in resonance and most certainly in warmth? To me, the voice has nothing of the warmth of ,say, J.J. Barnes' another high tenor. The power and the technique just don't seem to be there either ( unless of course you have in mind performances that I am not aware of). And very importantly, Marvin's voice falls short on emotion too. So often he just doesn't seem to be that interested in what he is singing. Do you really prefer Marvin's original of Lonely Lover to Jimmy McFarland's? Isn't Jimmy's take the more convincing? And at the end of the day was Marvin really any better than so many journeymen who are mere footnotes to the story of Soul?

The emotion and expression in Marvins voice is unquestionable IMO, many singers come under the heading "A soul artist we all love", but Marvin for me is in my top 5 Artists, I wish I had seen in their prime singing live...... "What's going on" send's shivers down my spine... A complex man who's depth and feeling's showed in his voice... Just take a look at Marvin n Tammi singing "Ain't no mountain high enough" ...... :thumbsup:

Jimmy McFarland is the northern version we all know n love - to be honest the version by Marvin is superior again Imo

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

The emotion and expression in Marvins voice is unquestionable IMO, many singers come under the heading "A soul artist we all love", but Marvin for me is in my top 5 Artists, I wish I had seen in their prime singing live...... "What's going on" send's shivers down my spine... A complex man who's depth and feeling's showed in his voice... Just take a look at Marvin n Tammi singing "Ain't no mountain high enough" ...... :lol:

Jimmy McFarland is the northern version we all know n love - to be honest the version by Marvin is superior again Imo

Karen

I saw Marvin live.

"What's Going On" "Let's Get It On" The whole nine yards.

Had he the greatest ever Soul voice?... probably not.

Was he a great performer?... My God Yes!

Was he a genius?... Quite probably.

Marvin was an enigmatic kinda fella (as our friend Dave used to say) and he was also a prophet forseeing his own declining mental state.

If you listen to one of his last... and yet finest recordings, "It's Madness" you'll hear the sound of painful anguish in every lyric and beat as he struggled to maintain his own sanity.

He knew what was coming, the pain, the suffering, the torment and the prophesy was in that song.

One of the greatest recordings in Soul Music's long history from a true genius.

Maybe we dont 'all' love the late Marvin Gaye.

But I reckon most of us do.

:D

Sean

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

my 2 ultimate ones here

Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke to me they both show ability to sing a slow and fast song most of Jackie's would be fast so you think well he can't cut it if singing a slow song then he does a slow song and your like wow and Sam cooke is vice versa

as for female Whitney Houston she belts out a tune but can sing it well

if you think of non soul then Donnie Munro from folk rock band Runring can't be matched.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert