A Soul Artist We All Love

Dayo

About a year ago, you might remember a topic I started on here to try and find a Northern soul record that we all loved - or at least a track that none of us hated. The idea was to try and find a tune that defined the Northern scene.

It proved fruitless and tortuous. Salvadors, if I recall, came close to being universally loved - and there were a few others - but we couldn't find a single sound that everyone could get behind. Somebody somewhere always ended up hating something! Even Our Love Is In The Pocket had been worn out or played to death for some of us.

I thought I'd take a chance on a similar thread, which I'm hoping will be short lived and much more simple:

This time the idea is to find the most widely loved soul singer. Yes, we've all got our faves, but the idea of this is not to debate whether Aretha was better than Gladys - there's plenty of that in other threads.

I think this should be much more easy; I'll kick it off.

We all love Marvin ... right?

You might have other heroes. I'm certain I have. But surely, no-one could actually dislike or hate Marvin Gaye?

If you want to put your head above the parapet, admit you loathe the man, that's fine, but maybe you can suggest another singer that every single one of us could claim to adore?

It might be another daft idea, but I'm just interested to find commonality between our tastes. I suspect this might turn into another who is/was the greatest thread, but if I'm making myself clear, that's not really the idea.

Over to you...

Col

Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have to absolutely believe that there is not a single person on this planet ( ok, those that have heard it) who does not adore the voice of Gladys Knight. There may be some who would be less complimentary about some of her post Motown product- slushy ballady type things, but in my opinion she could sing the shipping forecast and it would still be soulful!

Go ahead and restore my faith in human nature and agree that we all adore her.

Agreed that there are probably plenty of others that would qualify including Marvin and yes it seems improbable that anybody could dislike him or his output, but you never know

Social source share

I have to absolutely believe that there is not a single person on this planet ( ok, those that have heard it) who does not adore the voice of Gladys Knight. There may be some who would be less complimentary about some of her post Motown product- slushy ballady type things, but in my opinion she could sing the shipping forecast and it would still be soulful!

Agreed that there are probably plenty of others that would qualify including Marvin and yes it seems improbable that anybody could dislike him or his output, but you never know

Never liked Gladys, can't think of one track that I would play. Marvin was ace.

For me its Levi Stubbs.

ATB

Brian

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

About a year ago, you might remember a topic I started on here to try and find a Northern soul record that we all loved - or at least a track that none of us hated. The idea was to try and find a tune that defined the Northern scene.

It proved fruitless and tortuous. Salvadors, if I recall, came close to being universally loved - and there were a few others - but we couldn't find a single sound that everyone could get behind. Somebody somewhere always ended up hating something! Even Our Love Is In The Pocket had been worn out or played to death for some of us.

I thought I'd take a chance on a similar thread, which I'm hoping will be short lived and much more simple:

This time the idea is to find the most widely loved soul singer. Yes, we've all got our faves, but the idea of this is not to debate whether Aretha was better than Gladys - there's plenty of that in other threads.

You might have other heroes. I'm certain I have. But surely, no-one could actually dislike or hate Marvin Gaye?

If you want to put your head above the parapet, admit you loathe the man, that's fine, but maybe you can suggest another singer that every single one of us could claim to adore?

It might be another daft idea, but I'm just interested to find commonality between our tastes. I suspect this might turn into another who is/was the greatest thread, but if I'm making myself clear, that's not really the idea.

Over to you...

Col

Marvin Gaye - an excellent artist who would never EVER make my Top 10 artists in a million years...

Marvin Junior - an incredible vocalist who, with the Dells, would never NOT make my Top 10 artists in those same million years...

....but I think I might have to go with Levi and the other three Tops, too...

TONE :shades:

Social source share

Over to you...

Col

Marvin Gaye

Al Green

Levi Stubbs

David Ruffin

Harold Melvin

Social source share

It's Otis (Redding) for me. smile.gif

Did he ever sing one bad note?

In my mind the closest a human voice ever came to being a musical instrument. yes.gif

Hello MBarrett

welcome to soul source thumbsup.gif

we usually ask new members to introduce themselves via the intros section. i have added a link below for you. just add the usual stuff like where you are from, fave tunes/venues etc.

thanks

Shane

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Over to you...

Col

Great topic Col.

Have to agree with Marvin.

Add Sam Cooke to the list.

I love some of Jackie Wilson's stuff, but some of the songs he recorded were just downright awful. Made for the 'white' market, thay had him doing some cringeworthily embarrassing pap.

Sorry Trickster blush.gif

Social source share

Over to you...

Col

==========

Yep love Marvin, another everybody surely loves is Edwin Starr? Haven't gone through the thread yet, so his name has probably already appeared smile.gif

Social source share

===========

Having gone through the thread now, have to agree with Gladys, Levi and Jackie Wilson. We dont have to love everything they've produced right?

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I agree with all...gotta add Richard Street also with his leads in Otis Williams and the Distants (COME ON), the Monitors (GREETINGS, THIS IS UNCLE SAM) and later the Temptations (HEAVENLY)! wink.gif

Social source share

Over to you...

Col

I think, that If it was still possible, and it obviously isn't.

Any venue with David Ruffin or Jackie Wilson on the bill, would be sold out in the blink of an eye. Sadlly this can't happen, but fortunately they have left us with some awesome Video and Audio performances.

My Vote would ultimately have to go to these two gentleman, masters of their craft.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Any venue with David Ruffin or Jackie Wilson on the bill, would be sold out in the blink of an eye. Sadlly this can't happen, but fortunately they have left us with some awesome Video and Audio performances.

If you have the Temptations' DVD of their performances, you simply have to check out the I KNOW I AM LOSING YOU clip...I jumped out of my seat when I saw David do his split! :shhh:

Social source share

Over to you...

Col

Alright, head above the parphet, I'm not that keen on Marvin. How about Sam Dees?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Roy Hamilton

Valerie Lamar

Eddie Reader*

Jullianne Reagan*

*Sorry just love their voices to death. Not soul singers

...Think that anyone whose voice touches a person's soul is a soul singer, Mikey. Skin tone and musical category shouldn't come into it. And Eddie Reader is indeed a fantastic soul singer and would be whether she was white, black or green with purple stripes...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Perhaps a little before the Soul music thing started but one of the greatest voices ever of all time has to be Little Willie John, note perfect.

Linda Jones, Bettye Lavette, Chuck Jackson without question, oh and Maxine Brown pure perfection and my all time favorite the late great Les Grey of Mud....dynamite!!!! lol sorry.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest mr todsoulfox

Good call with J.J. Barnes and Darrow Fletcher..........Steve Mancha could cut a tune in his day too.

Mark Bicknell.

You read my mind Steve was next Jack Mongomery Jackey Beavers Jimmy soul Clark & Tony Clarke Detroit Had a Sound in the Sixties

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hoagy Lands

Bobby Bland

O.V. Wright

James Carr

Geater Davis

Rosco Robinson

Jackie Wilson

Clyde McPhatter

Garnett Mimms

Marvin Gaye doesn't come near any of them as a vocalist.

...amen to THAT, brother!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't agree with the school of thought that has Marvin Gaye inferior to many of those mentioned. He was a phenomenal singer, blessed with awesome range, technique and not a little power too. No-one could probably touch him in technical terms. He may have a somewhat patchy and mercurial recorded legacy, but to say that he didn't come near any of thse admittedly great singers does him a cruel disservice.

Social source share

Don't agree with the school of thought that has Marvin Gaye inferior to many of those mentioned. He was a phenomenal singer, blessed with awesome range, technique and not a little power too. No-one could probably touch him in technical terms.

You are probably more familar with a greater body of Marvin's work than I am, Gareth. And I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction regarding where we can find examples of Marvin's 'awsome range'. Basically wasn't his range 'high tenor'. ? And wasn't it a rather thin and pinched kind of high tenor voice at that, lacking in resonance and most certainly in warmth? To me, the voice has nothing of the warmth of ,say, J.J. Barnes' another high tenor. The power and the technique just don't seem to be there either ( unless of course you have in mind performances that I am not aware of). And very importantly, Marvin's voice falls short on emotion too. So often he just doesn't seem to be that interested in what he is singing. Do you really prefer Marvin's original of Lonely Lover to Jimmy McFarland's? Isn't Jimmy's take the more convincing? And at the end of the day was Marvin really any better than so many journeymen who are mere footnotes to the story of Soul?

Jimmy_McFarland___Lonley_Lover.mp3

Marvin_Gaye___Lonely_Lover.mp3

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Do you really prefer Marvin's original of Lonely Lover to Jimmy McFarland's? Isn't Jimmy's take the more convincing? And at the end of the day was Marvin really any better than so many journeymen who are mere footnotes to the story of Soul?

I prefer Marvin's version....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert