How To Tell The Real Mccoy

NEV

HI ALL

BEEN BROWSING ON JM'S AND NOTICED THE COPY OF EVERY LITTLE BIT HURTS LP (ORIGINAL COPY ) IS VALUED AT £200

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....NDA&Format=

BOUGHT THIS A WHILE AGO ON EBAY FOR THE STUNNING "FAVOUR FOR A GIRL"

MY COPY IS SAME SERIAL NUMBER TAMLA 257 AND HAS THE TAMLA LOGO ON BOTTOM CORNER ,THING IS IT ONLY COST A ???????? LOT LESS

HOW DO I TELL ORIGINAL FROM RE-ISSUE PLEASE

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Before Pikey has you reaching for your protractors and slide-rule, I think the re-issue of this LP was on MOTOWN logo and original is on TAMLA.

In fact just checked John's site and it deffo was on MOTOWN as he lists a copy as out of stock.

What you paid may be a lot less but don't forget that condition is everything to a lot of Motown collectors. John's valuation is for what looks like a M- copy. That would be looking like you just bought it from the store on the day of release!!

Personally at £200 which is around $380 I think that's well OTT and on Ebay I would expect it to be around $125- 175 for a Minter.

ROD

Social source share

Before Pikey has you reaching for your protractors and slide-rule, I think the re-issue of this LP was on MOTOWN logo and original is on TAMLA.

In fact just checked John's site and it deffo was on MOTOWN as he lists a copy as out of stock.

What you paid may be a lot less but don't forget that condition is everything to a lot of Motown collectors. John's valuation is for what looks like a M- copy. That would be looking like you just bought it from the store on the day of release!!

Personally at £200 which is around $380 I think that's well OTT and on Ebay I would expect it to be around $125- 175 for a Minter.

ROD

Just checked popsike there's a few on there around $150 seems to be the norm for clean copies. Only one describe as "MINT" copy listed, went for similar price but one look at the cover scan and there's a chunk of the cover missing at the bottom/right..NO genuine MINT minus copies to compare value.

yes your right with Motown and all LP collectors "condition is everything" hence the value we have ours at..

Social source share

"condition is everything"?? I bid $20 on a really beat up Good minus copy of James Dockery last week expecting nobody else would bother, and it went for something like $300...thats a lot of money for a Good minus record

i think as we get older, we have become more discerning about condition, with a truly mint records carrying a preminum. The lesser condition records are getting cheaper and cheaper...in recent years the label condition has become just as important as the vinyl to the serious collector....do you agree?

Social source share

SOME GREAT POINTS OF DISCUSION GUYS ,APPRECIATE EVERYTHING AND THANKS FOR GETTING INVOLVED JOHN AND PETE ,NO DISRESPECT TO OTHERS INVOLVED .

PERSONALLY I TAKE ONBOARD WHAT JOHN SAYS ABOUT CONDITION BUT ALSO THINK, AS THE RECORDS GET OLDER AND HARDER TO FIND, PEOPLE HAVE BECOME A LOT MORE AFFLUENT THAN BEFORE, AND ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR A DECENT PLAYABLE COPY IF JUST TO GET HOLD OF A COPY .POPULARITY ALSO PLAYS A BIG PART AS PETE POINTED OUT.

:thumbsup: NEV

P.s i think $10 for a copy/plays perfect/no label tears or marks/few scuffs/cover in vg, is a good find :lol:

Social source share

i think as we get older, we have become more discerning about condition, with a truly mint records carrying a preminum. The lesser condition records are getting cheaper and cheaper...in recent years the label condition has become just as important as the vinyl to the serious collector....do you agree?

John - I agree and disagree at the same time if that makes sense. Yes, the mint records are few and far between and rightly command the high prices. But it appears to me, and I spend a very sad 3 hours a day on ebay so I see most of what gets sold on there, that 90% of buyers will take a record in ANY condition so long as they have a copy. Sometimes even a cracked record laugh.gif The label certainly plays a big part, but then of course you can have a mint label on a styrene press which hisses all the way through.

I think all guidelines have gone out of the window really. I sold a near mint original demo of Paul Anka - Can't help Loving You on ebay in the summer - it made £33! The next week, you'd see it sell for triple that.

Social source share

Actually Nev I take great exception to not getting a name check for my initial witty.erudite and informative reply and all without the aid of Popsike!!However I still have my own teeth and hair and can perform a passable backdrop so it would be churlish of me to resent giving those two old men the limelight just this once.

ROD

MY APOLOGY ROD :thumbsup:

TA VERY MUCH FOR YA COMMENTS :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert