J Manship Auction Results 31/5/2017

Latest results, a bit delayed at bidders were slugging it out over Eddie Kirk..

11802_1sm.jpg11802_1sm.jpg11802_2sm.jpg

Eddie Kirk

The Hawg Part 1 & 2

Jamaica does Memphis!

Number 6 in Volt series, from the genesis of this quintessential Memphis brand. Like all the early Volt release this one is silly rare, especially in this “time machine” condition. Vinyls and labels are perfection!

It took Volt fully 3 years to establish itself whilst recording local talent that most of the time only had at best two shots at releasing a hit single. Eddie Kirk, Deanne Parker, Tonettes, Drapels, Sir Isaac and The Do-Dads etc. Even “Green Onions”, just 4 releases earlier is on the “Volt” imprint ridiculously rare!

All the early “Volt’s” are very hard to find, but finding them in flawless condition is even more remarkable..so check out this Eddie Kirk groove. A ground breaking cocktail of Drums, Horns & harmonica years before it’s time. Way before FUNK rhythms were to change dance styles across the world..A mix of Blues, Funk and Soul that’s so littered with breaks, the “mixer” has a plethora of inspiring choices to pick from..

This man’s extreme talent with the guitar & harmonica elevated him into Otis Redding’s band, but sadly deprived the label of an innovative stand alone artist, as we shall now never know just what this artist was capable of. Eddie Kirkland was certainly a creative way ahead of his era..no wonder demand to ownership of this disc is now far reaching, bridging several genres of rare Soul..

May we repeat we doubt we’ll ever see a finer example of this innovative disc..

Current bid: £ 535.00

Time remaining: Approx. 1 second

•  
11780_1sm.jpg11780_1sm.jpg11780_2sm.jpg

Jimmy Conwell

Cigarette Ashes / Second Hand Happiness

On July 16th. the long awaited CATACOMBS reunion is taking, for those who attended this groundbreaking Northern Soul Club. It’ll be a standout night and one thing is for certain, this tune will be dropped and the roof will lift off the place..

A Cats Anthem…!

It is a very satisfying quest hunting down these timeless Northern Soul classics as the gorgeous White PROMO copies, in the finest possible condition..

This “Catacombs” “Torch” anthem is one brief sleeve contact brush away from a “Manship Mint”, noting also both labels are “Aerial” clean..

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 224.00

11782_1sm.jpg11782_1sm.jpg11782_2sm.jpg

Yum Yums

Gonna Be A Big Thing / Looky, Looky (what I Got)

Mailed out by Philadelphia promoter “Matty Humdinger Singer” in 1965 and we are led to believe cocooned in its birth-sleeve since. The impeccable vinyl, the labels and the sleeve goa long way validating that claim.

This copy is a real beauty, dripping in provenance an unblemished gorgeousness.

One of Northern Soul’s most-wanted, in dream condition. For those who seek OCD perfection. Check out scans their is the faintest surface rub right hand side on the bottom “bar” on the a-side label, (scrutinize scan). B-side label has the “Humdinger” rubberstamp right-hand top.

Vinyl is spectacular, having spent it’s life filed, avoiding the riggers of the Northern Soul circuit, where the title has rammed the dancefloors for what seems a lifetime..

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL in the right condition..

a stunner!

The winning bid was £ 2,015.00

11783_1sm.jpg11783_1sm.jpg11783_2sm.jpg

Steinways

You've Been Leading Me On / My Heart's Not In It Anymore

A favourite of mine for over 4 decades a double helping of Northern Soul that is hard on the comeback trail..

No matter which side you drop the arm on, a thoroughly delicious tight harmony Northern Soul dancer awaits you.

Double siders offering side which I change my mind every time I encounter this highly regarded disc. Today I’m favoring “My Heart’s Not In It Anymore” a mood lifting fingerclicker, but no doubt next week it’ll be “You’ve Been Leading Me On” surely one of the finest girl-gang Northern Soul dancers ever made.

Both sides, under-played and utterly refreshing to hear….

This copy has a few mild surface hairlines, not affecting play (listen) both labels are flaw-free, see gorgeous scans..

The winning bid was £ 211.00

11781_1sm.jpg11781_1sm.jpg11781_2sm.jpg

Sonny Craver

I'm No Fool / Come Back

Mussette Records of San Diego..a long standing Northern Soul collectors emblem of desirability.

It’s right up their with the other few California independent 60’s labels that consistently released top-quality Soul.

Here’s Leonard Jewel Smith’s prodigy Sonny Craver with a more elusive imprint than the fabled “Teri De” release, offering a different flipside and style.

Topside side is a typically seamless Teri De creation, a distilled authentic Northern Soul uplifting dancer, that again it’s attraction heightened by never being made available as a reissue or bootleg. A highly regarded and seldom seen NS rarity..

With the flip elevating the disc yet another notch with the NS beater ‘Come Back” which Sonny also released under the pseudonym “The Phantom”. This Musketeers disc gives the DJ the vinyl-riches of two for the price of one. Flowing authentic LJS Northern Soul dance one side, and a highly-charged mid-tempo NS stroller the other.

I adore both tunes, unable to decide which one I love the best… only great 45’s can offer that dilemma

The winning bid was £ 161.00

11800_1sm.jpg11800_1sm.jpg11800_2sm.jpg

Jack Hammer

Swim / Colour Combination

A 45 of great interest to several Soul vinyl collecting genres.

The first and obvious one is this is a flawless STOCK copy offering the highly desirable TWO sides. The Motown scholar will also be noting NO bb drill hole in the label, and the fact this British recording, like it’s fate in the UK sold nothing, upon an unpromoted release in 1971.

Both sides written by the irrepressible Jack Hammer and produced by the highly regarded “MOD” Miki Dallon you would also be right in assuming Northern Soul & MOD interesting in the sound..

Flipside “Swim” not issued on the occasionally encountered promo copy, is a crash-bang-wallop production; the perfect vehicle for Jack Hammer’s battle-gnarled vocal attacking a full orchestra production, featuring insane piano slaps, blaring-brass and an inspired saxophonist injecting distilled adrenaline into his craft.

The A-side “Colour Combination” is more of the same, again showcasing Jack Hammer’s intimidating vocal, suggesting a life of whisky and nicotine, as his vocal shimmering with “life” as his snarls his way through another NS dancer..

Most Motown collectors have struggled to snare this “Stock” copy, with MOD DJ’s struggling even harder to acquire a copy for their set..

Here’s a rare window of vinyl-opportunity for both camps to put that frustration to frustration to bed.

Not a mark on the play perfect vinyl, but does have a very mild “misting” from a life in storage.

The winning bid was £ 70.00

11786_1sm.jpg11786_1sm.jpg11786_2sm.jpg11786_3sm.jpg11786_4sm.jpg

Various Artists

Piu Ritmo Che Blues

WOW !! The pinnacle of all compilation albums. Extremely RARE 1968 Italian release featuring a mix of 60’s Gamble & Calla releases on one heavy duty 12 track album.

Check out that impressive track listing:

which includes.

FRANK BEVERLEY - IF THAT’S WHAT YOU WANTED

plus…. Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady ** Bobby Marchan - Ain’t No Reason For Girls To Be Vernon Harrell - Do It To It Intruders - Sad Girl Frank Beverly & The Butlers- Love (You’re Pain Goes Deep) ** Sandpebbles - The Garden Of Eden Johnny Thunder - I’m Alive ** Dee Dee Sharp - You’re Gonna Miss Me Vernon Harrell - Can’t Take The Hurt ** Johnny Thunder - Verbal Expression Of T. V . Intruders - Call Me

For your pleasure we have soundfile the ones denoted with ** Pressed in top-quality, deep groove heavy-duty vinyl. Fidelity is top-drawer.

WEE have never had the pleasure of offering this title before, it’s rarity is extreme only surpassed by one lay in the grooves.

Rare Soul Album collecting at it’s most challenging!

The winning bid was £ 145.00

11804_1sm.jpg11804_1sm.jpg11804_2sm.jpg

We The People

Ain't No Way / Why

The real love is record collecting is to encounter something fresh, something new, something that you have not seen or heard before.. It is for me and most dedicated collectors a happening that triggers another enthusiastic week in the search of the unknown.

This Louisiana modern Soul dancer has not been on my desk ever before, and I LOVE IT! It has everything I appreciate in an 80’s Soulful-dance recording..besides genuine rarity .. it is vocally exquisite with the lead having that emotional “crack ” in his delivery, then the lead changes, and then the two bounce of each others intensity.. synth break.. then the group is back in long held high note, a growl and then the end.. ..underlining the obvious potential for Modern-Soul DJ use and elevation.

Really good tune, rarity validated and quality oozing from the grooves..

Ballad fans check out the flipside, a cultural message served by the rich lead vocal.. and soothing harmony

The winning bid was £ 134.00

11806_1sm.jpg11806_1sm.jpg11806_2sm.jpg

Ledgends C/w Earnest King

Fear Not / Too Hot To Hold

A unique 1970 Chicago engineers direct cut acetate featuring not one but two thumpin’ Northern Soul offerings..

We lead with a side that is currently enjoying persistent NS Jock attention “The Ledgends - Fear Not ” Another killer Johnny Cameron project offering a catchy upbeat feel-good vocal-group harmony Northern Soul that rushes along from one peak to another. Totally top-drawer dancer, that had up until now, been unforgivably overlooked.

Flip it and King Earnest will sweep you away on a Tsunami of horns, and his roaring voice.. boy, THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! A drop of the proper stuff, even includes a trumping bari-tone Sax, thrown into a cauldron of rumbling instruments that only a vocal like Earnest King’s can overthrow.. what a stomper! Relentless…

Both are 1970 Chicago cuts, of the highest quality. Engineer’s work before making the master stampers, presumably done on the same day, as the Ledgends side has a wax-pencil squiggle, suggesting a work complete “side done”.

This 45 came from Chicago and the feel, the smell and the source and of course the direct-cut sound quality, under-scores it’s undoubted authenticity..

Ledgends is now gonna go BIG - the King Earnest has always been far too rare for its own good, rarely if ever heard as so few own a copy on it’s Mercury release.

Click the soundfile and prepare for 1970 CHICAGO to hit you head-on!

The winning bid was £ 218.00

11805_1sm.jpg11805_1sm.jpg11805_2sm.jpg

Otis Redding

Shout Bamalama / Fat Girl

Where did I put my white gloves? Must be with my car keys, socks, shoes, false teeth and all the other things I “lose” every morning..

I do wish I had those gloves as I gingerly handle a SUE 45 in such virginal condition, I’m hesitant to touch it, when you meet a 52 year old and there are two tiny shards of label paper, still hanging on for dear life from the spindle hole..

This is a listing for the OCD about their British 45’s, seeking impossible perfection in the quest for the perfect run.. SUE is of course one of Britain’s best loved labels, every 45 being held in almost ritual-regard.. all now hard to acquire. The flawless ones just a forlorn dream of ownership..

In 1965 Chris Blackwell’s, now legendary DJ and label manager Guy Stevens was never one to miss an opportunity, as Otis was breaking big, he dug into Mr. Reddings earlier recordings picking on his 1961 first 45 outing from Orbit or King catalog. Hoping to ride on the coattails of “My Girl” SUE also issued the EP both of which failed to register and Decca cleaned up with Otis on their black Atlantic series..

But this listing is about the jaw-dropping condition of the whole thing.. it’s a work of art, portraying Otis’s first recordings and doffing your cap to a MOD with unequivocal enthusiasm for USA R&B - Guy Stevens well remembered long after his untimely passing..

An essential piece in the historical British Soul jigsaw - in immaculate condition!

The winning bid was £ 40.00

11801_1sm.jpg11801_1sm.jpg11801_2sm.jpg

Bobby Guitar Wood

It's Mighty Nice To Know

The burgeoning band of Northern Soul collectors seeking the classics as White Promo copies…a now venerable quest that just gets harder and harder as some of these simplistic works of vinyl art are near impossible to nail..

Before you today is one of the those “impossibles”. A potent Northern Soul classic rippling with attitude and turntable presence only those private, from the streets projects seem to be able to produce.

I did have the pleasure a few years ago to listen to one of the world’s great Soul Sister DJ’s, doing a consistently dynamic run of spins, all punchy, on-the-money dancefloor slayers. When “Jumpin’ Joan” got the place literally jumpin’ when a surprise drop I’d not heard since Cleethorpes Pier shook the room…

Loud, brash, imposing with the power to catapult you back to the “Wonder Years” of Northern Soul. Only a towering DJ can do that, it’s the inspired drop that leaves an indelible mark in your memory…

Now whether that rousing choice of Joan’s was a white promo I can’t say, a far too modest lady to annouce “Here’s A White Demo of..”

But if she had said that I would have run to the decks for a look at such an elusive disc..

The winning bid was £ 450.00

Hi Guest, Basket Items (0)

Total: £ 0.00

GBP

Copyright © John Manship Records.

Privacy Policy

Edited by bo diddley
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 948