Gospel Northern ?

There are a few records that are gospel songs but done very much in the style of the day, but few DJ's play them out cuz of the lyrics. Why is that, I love them. Lets hear some examples any of you may have and lets have you views about them being played out. I'll post up a great 60's example from Detroit in a mo..............

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Im coming home - Detroit Cumberland Rivers -

Not 60's but I have always had a soft spot for Rance Allen - I Know A Man Who - Gospel Truth - definate 70's dance floor potential. May have been played already?

I love lots of his stuff, to me it's just great soul. Doesn't have to be 60's any period, great modern day example is Sounds Of Blackness

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

There are a few records that are gospel songs but done very much in the style of the day, but few DJ's play them out cuz of the lyrics. Why is that, I love them. Lets hear some examples any of you may have and lets have you views about them being played out. I'll post up a great 60's example from Detroit in a mo..............

Surely the Gospel Classics is Gospel Northern. :thumbsup: Hat, Coat ,Door

Steve

Social source share

andrea and the disciples christian people liberty not rare but have always liked this

the brothers secret place zanzee nice 70's

donny gerard he's always somewhere around

there is probably loads but my mind has gone blank.

one that got played last couple of years

barbara dane i'm on my way trey 3 sure this is gospel

mark

Social source share

Currently getting played by York,s finest--Mr.Ron Pedley----The Salem Travellers--"Give me Liberty,Freedom or Death"--fits the bill perfectly as a Northern/ Gospel sound-----watch it go!!

Tony.C.

Social source share

KINDLY SHEPHERDS "LEND ME YOUR HAND" CHECKER

Social source share

Currently getting played by York,s finest--Mr.Ron Pedley----The Salem Travellers--"Give me Liberty,Freedom or Death"--fits the bill perfectly as a Northern/ Gospel sound-----watch it go!!

Tony.C.

Glad to see someone else finally picked up on this, used to play it C/U in the early 90's along with the Kindly Shepherds(also on Checker) and the Defenders "Sermon" on Sama!

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

barbara dane i'm on my way trey 3 sure this is gospel

mark

...and the Mahalia Jackson version.

Like to hear the Mahalia Jackson version if anyone can do a clip? yes.gif

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

used to play it C/U in the early 90's along with the Kindly Shepherds(also on Checker) and the Defenders "Sermon" on Sama!

Those were the days thumbsup.gifbiggrin.gif

This thread's reminded mind of a tune that I think is called "It ain't like that"- a gospelly sounding number....lyrics aren't gospel though, but involve counting through the months of the year. It may be by Valerie & Nick ??

The only person I can sing it down the 'phone to without fear of ridicule (my useful failsafe method of finding out what tunes are called, or who they're by) is currently watching the Blades get thrashed by Chelsea & doesn't own a mobile phone, the selfish swiiiine biggrin.gif

Anybody else help me remember?

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

A handful of 'Inspirational' Soul Tunes off the top of my head that could be played at any 'proper' soul night!

Little Anthony "Love Was Born For Me"

Henry Jackson "What's The Matter"

Eddie Holman "Thanks For Saving Me"

Winans "If Ever I Fall"

Brooklyn Allstars "I'm Coming Home!

Mighty Clouds Of Joy "I'm Ready"

Praise the lord!

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Here's a nice piece of obscure LA midtempo played this at the Wilton couple years back sounding rather like the Seashells.

The lover's of God with the Jones Bro's + 1 Band...The elements...Shur-Tinga 0003

also nice group effort with religious lyrics.

The Singing Soul Larks...Good religion....Soul Lark 124

Social source share

.....and not ONE person has even mentioned "Like The Lord Said" by Rod Keith!

How is this gospel,cant see em` ever stompin` to this in church ever, :thumbsup: amen.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Salem Travelers - 'Wade in the water' on Halo

Gospel Nikias - 'Get Jesus on my side' on KB

Billy Watkins - 'Judgements comin' on Schnipple Up

Jean Johnson Singers - 'Let your love light shine' on Hummingbird

Amazing Farmer Singers - 'On fire for Jesus' on HLF

Jame T. Horn - 'Glory bound train' on Modo

That Lovers of God 45 already mentioned is absolute killer - both sides. And the Kindly Shepherds is great too - appeared on a compilation by Checker in 1967, which is decidedly easier to get hold of than the 45.

Plenty of quality modern soul/crossover tracks by Gloster Williams, Voices of Nashville, Together, Rodena Preston, The Pattersons, Michael Orr & the Book of Life, Souls of Solomon, Truth & Devotion etc

Edited by Belson
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert